PDA

View Full Version : 'Elvis & Me' and 'Elvis the Movie'

lawdy_missclawdy
01-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I absolutely loove these two movies about Elvis! Does anyone know when they're gonna be released on DVD?

Thanks,
Isabella

Matt
01-26-2007, 01:03 AM
I've got it on dvd, transfered from my vhs tape, really good quality, no commercials.........

vulcandude
01-26-2007, 02:10 AM
I have "Elvis And Me" on VHS. Is the other one the movie with Kurt Russell as Elvis? I think I have it on VHS too. Matt, you are lucky to have at least one of those on DVD.(y)

Unchained Melody
01-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Yep, i've got the Elvis & Me on dvd too..both parts..excellent stuff. Got mine from Matt (y)

vulcandude
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Yep, i've got the Elvis & Me on dvd too..both parts..excellent stuff. Got mine from Matt (y)You are most fotrunate my friend, as my VHS copy is somewhere in storage. I envy you.

lawdy_missclawdy
01-26-2007, 12:47 PM
I've got "Elvis and Me" on DVD too, but yes, it's transfered from VHS .. The quality is not the best .. Does anyone know if it ever will be released on a "real" DVD?

Is the other one the movie with Kurt Russell as Elvis?

Yes, it is. The director John Carpenter said, that there are several songs in the film, such as "Blue Moon Over Kentucky" whose master tapes belong to someone else. That's why they can't release the movie on DVD yet. He said this in 2003. That's a long time ago :hmm:

http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/Elvis.html

poormansgold
01-26-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't have both, I liked Elvis, The Movie, I don't care for Elvis and Me, It's long Time O watch or See both movies.
Tom

Matt
01-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I also have John Carpenters "Elvis" which stars Kurt Russell on vhs which I put onto dvd, pretty good quality as well. I like both of them honestly, but John Carpenters version is by far the best I have seen in accurate portrayal of Elvis' life, excluding the ending where he returns to the stage

Matt
02-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I wonder if the reason why "Elvis" has never been released officially would be because of Ronnie McDowell vocals being used on it? He is the one who sang all the songs on that movie if I remember correctly

ElvisChick
02-18-2007, 06:06 PM
I have Elvis & Me on DVD...bought mine a couple of years ago...its great i love it!:)

Andreas
02-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I have both movies,"Elvis The Movie" is in good quality, "Elvis And Me" is in fantastic quality.Please check here: www.elviscollector.net

ajr
02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I loved "Elvis The Movie" and think it was done in good taste. Also liked Kurt Russell playing him.

I read the book "Elvis and Me" then saw the movie. Some things were different in the two.

dave567
01-01-2008, 01:00 PM
i have all the above converted from vhs but quality is pretty good for a transfer.Elvis and Me is just for the collection really-i also have a good conversion of the first few episodes from Elvis Good Rockin Tonight with michael st gerard and Cilla narrating.This one i ADORE.IF anyone owns any titles and requires a back up copy on dvd mail me thru profile.Cheers
HAPPY NEW YEAR-always for EP!

TCBnAflash
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't like Elvis and Me. "Elvis" the movie I could tolerate, even though it's like 90% white washed. Did you notice that Charlie Hodge plays himself in it?

I've scene both on DVD before

Diane
01-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't own Elvis and Me as I feel it's a travesty on Elvis but I do have Elvis The Movie with Kurt Russel on VHS and feel he did a great job portraying him.

Diane

Donut
01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
"Elvis and Me" was just an attempt on Priscillaīs part to keep being part of Elvisī legend (just in case we had forgotten she was once married with him) and the way SHE wanted it to be remembered IMO. She has never stoped to remind us it even though it is a burden for her...

Diane
01-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree Donut. It's the way Elvis was portrayed in that movie that galled me with the sleazy looking actor and the exaggerated meanness and total disregard for her. I'm sure Elvis had a temper and that he wasn't always the most thoughtful husband but then I think they are rare anyway.:)

Diane

Donut
01-01-2008, 05:41 PM
It's the way Elvis was portrayed in that movie that galled me with the sleazy looking actor and the exaggerated meanness and total disregard for her.
Diane

Yes Diane. Thatīs the impression i got after watching it too. I wonder who chose the actor... they could have told him to cool it down a little if that wasnīt the intention with the film. Priscilla was the producer if Iīm not mistaken. Have you noticed she never tells nice or funny incidents happened with him? Thatīs really weird after having been together for some years.
Maybe itīs just me who canīt remember them but the nicest thing Iīve heard of Elvis from her is he was a good father/husband... that after telling all his flaws and shortcomings over and over of course ;)
The MM tell the bad side of him aswell but at least we get to hear good recollections and funny stuff from them too, itīs more balanced in my opinion.

presley31
01-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I want both of those movies really bad, have to keep looking for them.

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't own Elvis and Me as I feel it's a travesty on Elvis but I do have Elvis The Movie with Kurt Russel on VHS and feel he did a great job portraying him.

Diane
I agree with you Diane. (y) I wouldn't take "Elvis and Me" if someone gave it to me. It's funny, but I still think that 30 years later Kurt Russell did the best job of any...;)

Diane
01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I agree again Donut. Priscilla seems to only dwell on the negative side of her marriage and I honestly believe exaggerates and twists it...a lot. There are plenty of pictures that tell he showed affection for her. I believe she wanted to be his "all" and it wasn't in Elvis' nature to be that to anyone....he always stretched himself too thin to encompass too many people. She also wanted fame and flew the coop when his addiction started to become evident and knew things were going to get hard.

I have never liked nor agreed with the fact that the MM "told all" especially in the way they did, but they do tell of some fond memories with Elvis as well.

Yup, I'm with you too Rosanne. Kurt Russell is the only actor I've seen in any portrayal of Elvis who gave him the respect and dignity he deserved.

Diane

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't have both, I liked Elvis, The Movie, I don't care for Elvis and Me, It's long Time O watch or See both movies.
Tom
Great avatar Tom!! (y) Where did you find it?? (y)

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
It's the way Elvis was portrayed in that movie that galled me with the sleazy looking actor and the exaggerated meanness and total disregard for her.

This is kind of a funny story, but it gave me some real insight as to what I had aquired as a sister-n-law(hubby's sister).....I thought that the guy they had chosen to play Elvis was not only sleazy looking, but down right ugly. Well....she informed me that she thought he was 100 times better looking than the "real deal". I knew from that moment on that she was going to be trouble..;):D;)

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
This is prolly going off-topic but...what did y'all think of Michael St. Gerard's portrayal of Elvis from the 1990 ABC series?

Burning_Love
01-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I really really want to see 'Elvis the Movie' with Kurt Russell. My dad says it is good, and so i know he has good taste. And anyway, i love Kurt Rusell !

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
This is prolly going off-topic but...what did y'all think of Michael St. Gerard's portrayal of Elvis from the 1990 ABC series?
To be honest Tony...I can't even remember that one! I'll look it up and see if it rings a bell with me. :D

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I really really want to see 'Elvis the Movie' with Kurt Russell. My dad says it is good, and so i know he has good taste. And anyway, i love Kurt Rusell !
Good for you...that is the one to see. It was the first, and probably still the best. (y) Your dad is right.....and I like Kurt Russell also. :D:D

Burning_Love
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Utmom, i am looking for it on ebay, no luck. I hope they release it one day, weren't they supposed too ?

LORRIELOVESELVIS
01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
(y)..I LOVE THEM TOO!!!:D(y)

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Utmom, i am looking for it on ebay, no luck. I hope they release it one day, weren't they supposed too ?
I'm always looking at stuff on Ebay too. If I find it I'll be sure and let you know...:D

Burning_Love
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Thank you :D:D

Diane
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Tony, my opinion on Michael St. Gerard is that he didn't do too badly, but still....no one seems to be able to portray Elvis as he really was. None have the loose natural personality Elvis had.

Yup, something really really wrong with your sister-in-law there Rosanne. I'd be side-stepping her too. :lol:

Diane

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
To be honest Tony...I can't even remember that one! I'll look it up and see if it rings a bell with me. :D

The "Elvis" television series starred Michael St. Gerard as Elvis and included the following characters:

Millie Perkins: Gladys Presley
Billy Greenbush: Vernon Presley
Jesse Dobson: Scotty Moore
Blake Gibbons: Bill Black

Some interesting points of trivia:
Billy Greenbush previously portrayed Vernon Presley in the 1988 mini-series, "Elvis & Me".

Millie Perkins, who played Gladys Presley, starred opposite Elvis in "Wild In The Country" in 1961.

Creator Rick Husky first approached Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling with the idea for the series in the summer of 1988 at the Westwood Marquis Hotel in Los Angeles, CA. Among the shows produced by Husky are "Tour Of Duty", and "T.J. Hooker." He first met Elvis in 1960 while attending Arkansas State University. As a joke, he and his fraternity brothers initiated Elvis into Tau Kappa Epsilon.

It was reported that Scott Valentine of "Family Ties" and Matt Dillon were considered for the Elvis role, but Michael St. Gerard was ultimately chosen. On a friday in May 1989, St. Gerard auditioned by reading a couple of scenes and lip-synching and daning to "Baby, Let's Play House". On Sunday he flew to Memphis and filming began the next day. St. Gerard (Born on January 21, 1963) had previously appeared in a few Japanese commercials and played Ricki Lake's boyfriend in John Waters's 1988 film, Hairspray". He had a bit role as Elvis in the Jerry Lee Lewis biopic, "Great Balls Of Fire".

"Elvis" was removed from ABC-TV's schedule after the March 18, 1990 telecast. Even with the runaway hit "America's Funniest Home Videos" as a lead-in, "Elvis" couldn't hold the audience. Viewers were switching over to Fox-TVs surprised animated hit, "the Simpsons". Four additional episodes were aired in May 1990 on Saturday's at 8:00 p.m.(The above info was taken from: "Elvis-His Life From A To Z".

(I know...I need to update my books..."Elvis: His Life From A To Z" is majorly outdated....)

Tony, my opinion on Michael St. Gerard is that he didn't do too badly, but still....no one seems to be able to portray Elvis as he really was. None have the loose natural personality Elvis had.

I agree...St. Gerard was a good choice...prolly the closest we'll ever come to the "real thing" but you're right...no one will ever be able to capture how Elvis truly was....

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
The "Elvis" television series starred Michael St. Gerard as Elvis and included the following characters:

Millie Perkins: Gladys Presley
Billy Greenbush: Vernon Presley
Jesse Dobson: Scotty Moore
Blake Gibbons: Bill Black

Some interesting points of trivia: (The above info was taken from: "Elvis-His Life From A To Z".

(I know...I need to update my books..."Elvis: His Life From A To Z" is majorly outdated....)

I agree...St. Gerard was a good choice...prolly the closest we'll ever come to the "real thing" but you're right...no one will ever be able to capture how Elvis truly was....

I remember that now Tony.....I thought it was OK I guess. To me...the actors that are chosen to portray Elvis are in a no-win situation. No one can even come close...I guess he was "too big" for anyone to even try and fill his shoes.

I knew that Jerry Schilling went to Arkansas State. One of his coaches there was Larry Lacewell, who later went on to work in the Dallas Cowboys organization....

Broussey
01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
http://shop.vendio.com/supersounds/home.html Thats where i got my copy of Elvis and me in DVD is like 18.00$ Just look down the left had side till you come to it:king:

john carpenter
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
In my opinion i think Michael St,Gerard did a good job as elvis,Kurt Russel jumped around too much when he lip synced.And Michael St. Gerard look more like the real deal.But Shelly Winters was a better Gladys Presley..Cameryn Manheim as Gladys was downright awfull.

LianaKaralivanou
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I have "Elvis The Movie" on VHS but I copied it from TV! I think that Kurt Russels' ex-wife played the role of Priscilla and she was really good.

utmom2008
01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I have "Elvis The Movie" on VHS but I copied it from TV! I think that Kurt Russels' ex-wife played the role of Priscilla and she was really good.
I think you are right! I think that was his first wife...what was her name?? Was it Susan ?

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
http://shop.vendio.com/supersounds/home.html Thats where i got my copy of Elvis and me in DVD is like 18.00$ Just look down the left had side till you come to it:king:

What you purchased was, for all accounts and purposes, a DVD-R..."Elvis & Me" has never been officially released on DVD.

LianaKaralivanou
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I think you are right! I think that was his first wife...what was her name?? Was it Susan ?

Her name was Season Humbley and I think that they fell in love during the movie.

Diane
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
That does sound familiar to me about Season and Kurt falling in love making the movie. I had forgotten about that.

I do agree that Shelly Winters did a good portrayal of Gladys. No one really did a good job on Vernon.

Diane

franny
01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Her name was Season Humbley and I think that they fell in love during the movie.

Her name is Season Hubley...Yes, they did fall in love while making the movie, got married, I think had one child and got divorced...

franny

franny
01-01-2008, 11:23 PM

I liked Michael St. Gerard as Elvis, I didn't see the whole series, but from what I saw, he was pretty good! The closest to Elvis, so far..(y)

Is the series available anywhere? :hmm:

franny

Tony Trout
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I liked Michael St. Gerard as Elvis, I didn't see the whole series, but from what I saw, he was pretty good! The closest to Elvis, so far..(y)

franny

The series (as with "Elvis & Me") has never been officially released onto DVD.

EDIT: I sent you a PM, ma'am.

franny
01-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Thank you, Tony! I appreciate it! (y)

cheers,
franny

cameron
01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Her name is Season Hubley...Yes, they did fall in love while making the movie, got married, I think had one child and got divorced...

franny

I'd forgotten about that too. I really liked her .
Did like Kurt Russell much better than anyone else that's "played " Elvis though.

Can't say I really like the TV miniseries either; but St.Gerald wasn't bad.
I read the book; Elvis And Me before I saw the movie.
Might be why I picked it apart .:blush:

marijaep
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM

franny

I agree about Michael, Franny! I saw him on youtube for the first time yesterday and he really looked nice (y)
Nobody will ever look like Elvis, but, if we compare Michael with the others..well, he sure is my favorite :D

franny
01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I'd forgotten about that too. I really liked her .
Did like Kurt Russell much better than anyone else that's "played " Elvis though.

Can't say I really like the TV miniseries either; but St.Gerald wasn't bad.
I read the book; Elvis And Me before I saw the movie.
Might be why I picked it apart .:blush:

I liked Kurt Russell as Elvis in the movie, but for the tv series, I have to say St. Gerard was the closest to looking like Elvis and I thought he did well!

Elvis the Movie had some errors in it, I don't remember off-hand, but overall it was good.

franny

cameron
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I liked Kurt Russell as Elvis in the movie, but for the tv series, I have to say St. Gerard was the closest to looking like Elvis and I thought he did well!

Elvis the Movie had some errors in it, I don't remember off-hand, but overall it was good.

franny

Michael St.Gerard:;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFpivoH9qI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A73loKsDTxE&feature=related

Broussey
01-02-2008, 04:30 AM
What you purchased was, for all accounts and purposes, a DVD-R..."Elvis & Me" has never been officially released on DVD.

Yes thats true but for the ppl that want it on DVD thats one place they can get it ...(y)

waymore44
03-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I wish that the Kurt Russell movie had Elvis's real music in it. Ronnie McDowell really doesn't do the music justice. It's ok. Kurt did a pretty good job of talking like Elvis I thought. Michael St. Gerard looked good but didn't talk like him. It was still a good series though, but again I miss Elvis's real music.

Has anyone seen the film "Heart Of Dixie"? I just saw it on cable the other day and it has a scene where Michael St. Gerard is playing Elvis on stage at the Tupelo homecoming show. They use Elvis's real version of "Blue Suede Shoes" but they keep looping it with overdubbed drums. It was a good scene except they picked the Elvis scene to have a racist beatdown happen!

Tony Trout
03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I wish that the Kurt Russell movie had Elvis's real music in it. Ronnie McDowell really doesn't do the music justice. It's ok. Kurt did a pretty good job of talking like Elvis I thought. Michael St. Gerard looked good but didn't talk like him. It was still a good series though, but again I miss Elvis's real music.

Has anyone seen the film "Heart Of Dixie"? I just saw it on cable the other day and it has a scene where Michael St. Gerard is playing Elvis on stage at the Tupelo homecoming show. They use Elvis's real version of "Blue Suede Shoes" but they keep looping it with overdubbed drums. It was a good scene except they picked the Elvis scene to have a racist beatdown happen!

The one reason that Elvis's actual music isn't used much in these kinds of "bio-pics" is mainly because of the songs costing too much $$$ for their use...remember the song deletion fiasco of "Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii" a long time ago? The reason those three songs were deleted were because no one could come to terms on an agreement for their use in the VHS/DVD....and it honestly ruined the whole viewing experience for me.

The King's Queen
03-18-2008, 02:45 AM

What do you know??? We agree once again Cameron!!! (y);):lol:

cameron
03-18-2008, 03:31 AM
What do you know??? We agree once again Cameron!!! (y);):lol:

Oh my !! We've got to stop doing this. People will talk !! :P

The King's Queen
03-18-2008, 03:52 AM
Oh my !! We've got to stop doing this. People will talk !! :P

:blush: Wouldn't be my first rodeo, cowboy!!! ;):lol::lol:

cibetty
03-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't have them on DVDs, but I have seen both movies.

RustyWells
04-11-2009, 12:25 AM
I have Elvis the movie on VHS, I also had Elvis and Me on VHS, but my machine ate it,
so now I am on the lookout for a copy. I liked them both, Kurt Russell was a good Elvis, he even said in interviews that he enjoyed being Elvis for 2 movies, as for Elvis and Me, I enjoyed it as well, and hope to find a copy soon

Matt
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Micheal St. Gerard is without a doubt the best person ever to portray Elvis in the early days. This series is on dvd-r if you look around for it......