PDA

View Full Version : elvis in concert

memphis 77
01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
i love watching this special, i think it has some really great stuff, like HURT, REALLY DON'T WANNA KNOW, MOUNTAIN, HOW GREAT... i also wished they included the performances like, if you love me .. fairytale, rain, now or never, there was just so much great stuff that they dropped, i think the producers really screwed up on this special, it would have showed the world that E.P. was still THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER. I'm not saying that what was presented wouldn't but just think how great this would have bin. I have given up hope of ever having E.P.E. release this[i don't see what is so bad] they could edit out the stuff that makes E.P. seem out of it, this is definetly a release that should be done , fans would very much appreciate and enjoy having this. Trying to get to you [it's just flawless], a great opourtunity missed by the estate to show joe public and all how great ELVIS talent was is and always will be, for now i guess we are just going to have to settle for what we have , luckily i have an excellent 1 st gen copy. I also think that the album/cd should be revamped and reissued, its a great release on it's own. You know there are some parts of both shows that are great to see how E.P.'S temper was revealed especially durring the opening of cc rider when he brings it to a halt[just look at ronnies face-he was po'd] i didn't notice them missing a beat, did you? even when they were half way in to IF YOU LOVE ME.... [can't hear you] definetly a tech problem not the musicians , but he was doing this quite often durring the last two years, to where he would cut them down on stage, back in 70 , he would have just kept goin but not anymore , i think he picked up on the musicians morale of playin the same **************** stuff night after night, i can only imagine how they must have hated LOVE ME, [this was sung pratically at every **************** performance], i wish he had sung MOODY BLUE [as he was asked by audience member] , or WAY DOWN, he should have included these in the reitore thaey would have bin a great addition to the special, but i guess his trest for us was UNCHAINED[no doubt he put his heart into it], i admit a great performance. He really did leave us a great legacy and one that E.P.E should reconsider in releasing, who cares what others think or say, i have seen alot worse from other so called entertainers, wake up E.P.E this is one great performance showcase.
/

Suspicious Minds
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I hope they release Elvis In Concert Special Edition (maybe) for 30th Anniversary

:blink: (y)

Tony Trout
01-20-2007, 05:12 PM
We might as well keep on dreamin' cuz it ain't gonna happen...not in this lifetime...

Unchained Melody
01-20-2007, 05:42 PM
I would love to see it released aswell..imo, it deserves that.

Larry Dickman
01-20-2007, 10:18 PM
This is a hoary old chestnut..........
In my opinion, it is unbelievable that Elvis Presley's last TV Special, recorded on his last ever tour, has not been released.......all because of his appearence......how shallow........as pointed out, there are some great performances throughout these two shows, granted it is not his finest hour, but it is Elvis Presley's Last Stand.

vulcandude
01-21-2007, 03:40 AM
I just saw the version of Elvis singing "Hurt" for the first time the other day thanks to Paul and a search by Google. I'd heard the song because I have the CD, but to see the performance sent shivers down my spine.....especially towards the end of the song. Any doubters that Elvis had "lost it" in his final tour would be corrected by this performance. I'm dying to see "How Great Thou Art".....
I truly wish EPE would let go of the fact that they think this special makes Elvis look bad. It's been 30 years.....and we the fans want to have it see the light of day. LET THE FANS' VOICES BE HEARD!

Dudcowboy_1
01-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Well, maybe with Lisa ever since they she help get FTD going and since she really took the reins and now with SFX maybe we may see this. Because I honestly never thought they would release a show on CD in 1977 until I heard Unchained Melody the new CD. I think SFX knows what the Elvis fans want and he will not disapoint them.

If they did release a Special addition I have the DVD Bootleg set. Only thing I did not like in DVD Bootleg is well #1 the numbers on bottom of 2nd show but I'm sure they could fix that but other is way they edited out band introductions and took "My Way" and Hurt Out.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley "A Tribute To Elvis Show"
http://www.geocities.com/dudcowboy_1/

Unchained Melody
01-21-2007, 05:13 AM
David you can find most of the songs from the CBS Special on You Tube or other sites that offer free videos to watch.;)

01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Well, maybe with Lisa ever since they she help get FTD going and since she really took the reins and now with SFX maybe we may see this. Because I honestly never thought they would release a show on CD in 1977 until I heard Unchained Melody the new CD. I think SFX knows what the Elvis fans want and he will not disapoint them.

If they did release a Special addition I have the DVD Bootleg set. Only thing I did not like in DVD Bootleg is well #1 the numbers on bottom of 2nd show but I'm sure they could fix that but other is way they edited out band introductions and took "My Way" and Hurt Out.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley "A Tribute To Elvis Show"
http://www.geocities.com/dudcowboy_1/

Lisa has nothing to do with FTD.

1977 shows have been released since 1977.

Elvis In Concert is from 1977 and was released. Spring Tours came out on the FTD lable a few years back etc....

SFX haven't any control over what FTD release and the sooner people realise that the better. Sony/BMG own the recording and EPE don't, hence FTD have autonomy over what they release.

rick
01-21-2007, 12:28 PM
The editing of songs such as Trying to Get to You, Now or Never and Unchained Melody from the original special was criminal.
rick

PiersEIN
01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Memphis 77,
Please have a look at this article on EIN written by Gary V. It's very good, lots of fans comments too.
There are also links to the 'Elvis In Concert' DVD review as well.

'Elvis In Concert' 1977 TV special; Should it be released officially? (http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_Elvisinconcert_release.html) Should we accept Elvis with the sadness & pain of his last concerts, or do we agree with EPE's policy of glorifying the god-like Elvis mega-star and deny that anything changed after 'Aloha'? Some fans scream YES for the release of 'Elvis In Concert', yet they are often labelled as *****s for wanting Elvis' good clean image once again vilified. In this stimulating article, Gary V explains why most of us are in fact deluded!

Cheers
Piers

vulcandude
01-21-2007, 02:35 PM
David you can find most of the songs from the CBS Special on You Tube or other sites that offer free videos to watch.;)One small problem Brad.....I am unable to access Youtube on this computer because it is the facility computer. And I'm not sure mine will get hooked up at all any time soon.....where else can I find clips from "Elvis In Concert"?

Unchained Melody
01-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Guess I would look on Ebay, they always have copies going around for sale their...most aren't the best quality but atleast you'll have it.

MauriceColgan
01-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Memphis 77,
Please have a look at this article on EIN written by Gary V. It's very good, lots of fans comments too.
There are also links to the 'Elvis In Concert' DVD review as well.

'Elvis In Concert' 1977 TV special; Should it be released officially? (http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_Elvisinconcert_release.html) Should we accept Elvis with the sadness & pain of his last concerts, or do we agree with EPE's policy of glorifying the god-like Elvis mega-star and deny that anything changed after 'Aloha'? Some fans scream YES for the release of 'Elvis In Concert', yet they are often labelled as *****s for wanting Elvis' good clean image once again vilified. In this stimulating article, Gary V explains why most of us are in fact deluded!

Cheers
Piers

Hi Piers, Thanks for the post. If anything human beings are capable of a great amount of compassion.

All the non Elvis fan people who have watched Elvis sing "How Great Thou Art", respond the same.
"Isn't it so sad how he ended up". Then after a few moments thought.
"But what a voice!".

In 50 years the hostile media has not been able to stem the demand for Elvis's music. One Concert will not change that.

We will get over it as we always do. We got over the 80s didn't we(y)

memphis 77
01-21-2007, 07:34 PM
thanks piers i read it and agree, i guess this old topic will never go away[thank GOD], I would settle for a 2 dvd set in 5.1 dolby digital, including all the award presentation footage, Slaughter has said through out the years that he remembers the meeting and fiming to have bin brief [very brief were his words], im would think he is right, and if you notice the camera was at a distance, but whatever, we can still dream can't we? And for now it sure looks like we will have to[**************** YOU E.P.E. JUST RELEASE IT] sorry just a tad p'o'd , i sure would hope that one day they sell the rights to this to someone else , who can see the gem it is.

srj1967
01-22-2007, 03:36 AM
Sadly, I don't think a DVD release of In Concert would do any good for the image of Elvis in the public's eye.
Elvis is just too out of it for it to be taken seriously, and the media would have a field day.
I'd like to see RCA/EPE release a 2CD set of the complete shows, perhaps with some of the better pics from the shows on the cover and booklet.
As for the DVD release, perhaps an FTD set ... that way, we fans who don't especially care how Elvis looked at the end could still have it.
There is no need for the DVD to be released publicly, nor should it be in your main street stores to purchase. But it should be made available for those of us who want it.
They're my thoughts anyway ...

hounddog
01-22-2007, 05:19 AM
I think it should be released. It is a part of Elvis' TV appearances history. Those that don't like it, don't buy it.

I think all the footage from all the shows should be released as an extended edition.

All the fans now that Elvis wasn't well at the end, but for me it is just as important to hav ein my collection as TTWII, Aloha, 68 comeback or Elvis on Tour.

MauriceColgan
01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I think it should be released. It is a part of Elvis' TV appearances history. Those that don't like it, don't buy it.

I think all the footage from all the shows should be released as an extended edition.

All the fans now that Elvis wasn't well at the end, but for me it is just as important to hav ein my collection as TTWII, Aloha, 68 comeback or Elvis on Tour.

I agree a mountain of abuse thrown at Elvis has not diminished his great music one iota.
Elvis's music will survive whatever they show.

We may have to cringe for a week or so while the media goes to town on the dying singer...or if they do?
What's new?

EP6873
01-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I just saw the version of Elvis singing "Hurt" for the first time the other day thanks to Paul and a search by Google. I'd heard the song because I have the CD, but to see the performance sent shivers down my spine.....especially towards the end of the song. Any doubters that Elvis had "lost it" in his final tour would be corrected by this performance. I'm dying to see "How Great Thou Art".....
I truly wish EPE would let go of the fact that they think this special makes Elvis look bad. It's been 30 years.....and we the fans want to have it see the light of day. LET THE FANS' VOICES BE HEARD!

Hey I don't know if you watch videos on YouTube or not, but they have a whole lot of Elvis videos. Just type in "Elvis in Concert" and you'll get pages of results!

EP6873
01-23-2007, 06:49 AM
The editing of songs such as Trying to Get to You, Now or Never and Unchained Melody from the original special was criminal.
rick

Hey, what do you mean "the editing"? Thanks.

jak
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey, what do you mean "the editing"? Thanks.

Most of the truly good performances they filmed were left out of the special for some reason.
Jak

Elvis2Fan
01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Probabaly a rush job on getting it out?!

poormansgold
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
I got On DVD, I buy from a friend I know, there some edit to "Are you Lonesome Tonight edit, they had pictures go back from 50's, where elvis have trouble with the words to that song , I know that Early Morning Rain ws edit on the show same with I Really Don't want to know.
I read that back in early 80's in goldmine paper

vulcandude
01-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Guess I would look on Ebay, they always have copies going around for sale their...most aren't the best quality but atleast you'll have it.Can't use Ebay......no credit cards......:sad:

vulcandude
01-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey I don't know if you watch videos on YouTube or not, but they have a whole lot of Elvis videos. Just type in "Elvis in Concert" and you'll get pages of results!That's the unfortunate thing.....this being the facility computer, I can't get You tube clips.......:sad:

Tony Trout
01-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Can't use Ebay......no credit cards......:sad:

Keep looking...most sellers (or at least some) will still accept money orders as payment....

memphis 77
01-23-2007, 06:10 PM
vulcandude just spm me your adress and i will send you a good copy on dvd free of charge.

vulcandude
01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
vulcandude just spm me your adress and i will send you a good copy on dvd free of charge.Thanks.....that's very kind of you to do.....you brought tears to my eyes.....

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I simply don't believe the media will react as badly as some think! There has been quite a few clips over the years that the media could have latched onto "Elvis By The Presley's" has a clip in it and the general comments are always "ahhh isn't it sad how he ended up".

e-bay has numerous poor copies on sale of "Elvis In Concert", if the media really wanted to jump on the old band waggon I'm sure there are worse Images of Elvis they could use besides the "Elvis In Concert Footage" (see below)

What people are doing is comparing Elvis from 1968 and then 6 weeks before he died, hardly a fair comparison. There are periods from 1976 & 1977 were Elvis looks downright awful compared to June 1977.

If EPE/Sillerman or whoever released this DVD in the right way and packaged it well it wouldn't be received badly at all e.g.

Priscilla could give an introduction, perhaps explain some of the illnesses Elvis suffered from in the month's and years prior to this show.

The MM (Those left) could give some background into what was going on in Elvis' life during this period (Elvis What happend) explain the love he had for his fans and the reason why he still carried on giving show when it was quite obvious he was not well.

The show could be edited in such a way that anything to unflattering could be removed? I'm sure there is tons of footage not released, angle not included etc.

The bottom line is because this Concert is off limits so to speak, it will make the news, however what damage can be done has already been done! a release cannot compare to the thousands of photo's already out there that would make "Elvis In Concert" look like a a grand day out.

What EPE don't seem to realise is by doing what they are doing makes this concert seem like a car crash because they are so overprotective of It's legitimate release and they have got something to hide!!!!!!

Matt

poormansgold
01-24-2007, 02:23 PM
you Right jumpsiut Junkie. I'm With you 100% you said above

ruggishboo
01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I simply don't believe the media will react as badly as some think! There has been quite a few clips over the years that the media could have latched onto "Elvis By The Presley's" has a clip in it and the general comments are always "ahhh isn't it sad how he ended up".

e-bay has numerous poor copies on sale of "Elvis In Concert", if the media really wanted to jump on the old band waggon I'm sure there are worse Images of Elvis they could use besides the "Elvis In Concert Footage" (see below)

What people are doing is comparing Elvis from 1968 and then 6 weeks before he died, hardly a fair comparison. There are periods from 1976 & 1977 were Elvis looks downright awful compared to June 1977.

If EPE/Sillerman or whoever released this DVD in the right way and packaged it well it wouldn't be received badly at all e.g.

Priscilla could give an introduction, perhaps explain some of the illnesses Elvis suffered from in the month's and years prior to this show.

The MM (Those left) could give some background into what was going on in Elvis' life during this period (Elvis What happend) explain the love he had for his fans and the reason why he still carried on giving show when it was quite obvious he was not well.

The show could be edited in such a way that anything to unflattering could be removed? I'm sure there is tons of footage not released, angle not included etc.

The bottom line is because this Concert is off limits so to speak, it will make the news, however what damage can be done has already been done! a release cannot compare to the thousands of photo's already out there that would make "Elvis In Concert" look like a a grand day out.

What EPE don't seem to realise is by doing what they are doing makes this concert seem like a car crash because they are so overprotective of It's legitimate release and they have got something to hide!!!!!!

Matt

100% agreed! Elvis's image survived the onslaught of negative publicity of the late 70's and 80's and there is no reason to think it couldn't survive any negative comments if the special was officially released. It has been 30 years now, and times and information about Elvis have changed. And while Elvis didn't look his best in June 1977, he looked a lot better then than others times in 1977 and a good chunk of 1976. Releasing the special might even be a positive thing, to show how he still tried his best to give entertainment to his fans, when he was obviously ill and truthfully didn't need to be on a stage every night for weeks on end. And besides, this was Elvis's last concert special, and that in and of itself makes it historical, it deserves to see the "official" light of day.

jak
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Officially releasing the CBS special would not cause any kind of fuss.The general public and the media would not even notice it.They dont care.Youre talking about a 30 year old special that really only the fans know about.It's release would not cause a stampede into the store to buy it so Elvis could be made fun of.I've always enjoyed it myself.He still manages to dig down deep and flash the old Presley magic at times.I think he sounds terriffic on some of the numbers.However,if you watch it right after Aloha it's hard to believe what happened in such a relatively short time.It's like watching a train wreck in agonizing slow motion.It's bittersweet for me.
Jak

vulcandude
01-24-2007, 04:43 PM
By not releasing it, EPE is only further damaging Elvis' image because so many people like myself, never saw it in the first place. So many myths and rumors circulate as to the "whys" etc., this has never been released, but if Elvis had been willing to do it in the first place, then I'm sure he wouldn't have minded its release. By keeping it "off limits" as Matt said, EPE keeps it in the spotlight despite their supposed desire to keep it out of the spotlight. They know the fasns want it, or at least should, and I think that when they have run out of everything else to release, then they'll have to release it, if only to continue to make money.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
if you watch it right after Aloha it's hard to believe what happened in such a relatively short time.It's like watching a train wreck in agonizing slow motion.It's bittersweet for me.
Jak

Totally agree, Its even worse if you have just watched TTWII, to think this was only 6 years prior :supriced: