PDA

View Full Version : Riding The Elvis Gravy Train

jak
01-06-2007, 01:22 AM
It's obvious that the fans have varied opinions concerning how Elvis' former entourage and family members have conducted themselves since Elvis' passing.Many like his ex and some mafia members routinely get blasted for just being after the money and leeching off Elvis to this day.It just strikes me how hypocritical this can be sometimes.Would we be any different if we were in their shoes?When Elvis died so did the source of income for many people.They didnt have a big severance package or pension plan.They were left to fend for themselves.When you were part of something so totally engulfing that the Elvis experience was, how can you escape it?Their entire lives revolved around him.If it were not for Elvis who in the world would have known the names of any memphis mafia member?In our eyes Elvis gave the people around him their identity so why shouldnt they profit from it?Would you prefer that nobody ever wrote book?If I was lucky enough to have known him and had a chance to cash in to help myself I probably would.Knowing of Elvis' generous nature he probably would have said "glad I helped you out".Anyways I just felt like venting for a moment.
Jak

maxiefields
01-06-2007, 07:55 AM
If we went on that theory then elvis didnt have one friend. I think if Vernon was still alive he would had written a book by now.Theres so much demand to find out (by us the fans ) that personal insight,that unknown story I think its hard to refuse.Personnally I welcome most of these books, though it does appear that if you"ve been in contact with Elvis you are blessed with an extrodanary power of memory(I personnaly can not remember what I did last week).If you dont like them dont buy them.

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-06-2007, 08:41 AM
To be perfectly honest I'm pretty sure that if any one of the Memphis Mafia wrote a worts and all book they would be blasted out of the water by the fans!

The mainstream fans by and large only want to hear good things, I'm not saying Elvis was a bad person, he was only human after all. On the whole most of these guys have remained pretty loyal and the biography's they have written have only touched on minor issues that have been retold and embellished to make their role in Elvis' life more important.

Over the years these books have gotten more gritty because the fans are more understanding of the pressures Elvis was under. The sensationalist side of these books are nothing compared to books written about other stars!

I suppose in the future the books will reveal more facts because if they don't they wont sell....

As has been touched on already, the Memphis Mafia have made their own careers through knowing Elvis, the temptation to get a big pay day off Elvis' celebrity must be overpowering.

Matt

jak
01-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Dont you think that all of the people that were close to him are constantly asked about him?I bet it never stops and the Elvis persona is right smack in their face continously.It would be hard to avoid being involved is some kind of Elvis project since he is the reason you have the noteriety.I guess my original point was just put yourself in their shoes before condeming what appears to actions motivated by greed.
Jak

Trev1
01-06-2007, 11:48 AM
It's obvious that the fans have varied opinions concerning how Elvis' former entourage and family members have conducted themselves since Elvis' passing.Many like his ex and some mafia members routinely get blasted for just being after the money and leeching off Elvis to this day.It just strikes me how hypocritical this can be sometimes.Would we be any different if we were in their shoes?When Elvis died so did the source of income for many people.They didnt have a big severance package or pension plan.They were left to fend for themselves.When you were part of something so totally engulfing that the Elvis experience was, how can you escape it?Their entire lives revolved around him.If it were not for Elvis who in the world would have known the names of any memphis mafia member?In our eyes Elvis gave the people around him their identity so why shouldnt they profit from it?Would you prefer that nobody ever wrote book?If I was lucky enough to have known him and had a chance to cash in to help myself I probably would.Knowing of Elvis' generous nature he probably would have said "glad I helped you out".Anyways I just felt like venting for a moment.
Jak

I agree Jak, I think the thing about being in it for the money is overblown. IT would be a lot worse if there were no Elvis books being written by members of the mafia - IMO, I'm a huge Elvis fan and love hearing some of the stories told. I really enjoyed Jerry schillings (respectful) book (y) recently that retold a lot of really great stories that make you love Elvis even more. Joe Espositos book was also similarly enjoyable and sincere.

Tho Martys, Lamars and Billys book "The Memphis Mafia" was a bit much and not as respectful :mad: , taking it with a pinch of salt it was also enjoyable and quite funny in parts.
Even Priscilla, who I do think is out for her own ends........but to some extent she is helping keeping his memory alive :doh: ...if that makes sense :doh:

Trev1
01-06-2007, 11:59 AM
The most telling thing E ever did to make a statement about how he "really" felt about the so-called Memphis Mafia and others who were associated with him, was leaving all of them out of his will. That said more than he ever could.

Nearly all were just moochers, there for the perks at the time.

If you subscribe to the theory that the death was faked, then a choice couple of them were a part of it, and remain so today. If you don't, then really, no one can be culled from the pack as having been a real friend.

Hi Elpfan,

It doesnt say much about Elvis himself sayiing this - I mean he wasnt stupid and he lived with them for years - surely he would have figured it out, Elvis would have sussed them out,,,i think he was street wise.
Yes sure there were perks, but they did a job as well, e.g. extras in films, bodyguards, etc., and don't forget Elvis had a lotta fun with those guys - roman candle fights, etc. I honestly believe at least some of them really loved him as a person, no matter what has been written. Joe, Jerry, Larry, Sonny and Red especially ( with sonny and red I honestly think they put out the book 'What Happened" to make him see the light and get a grip because he was a dying man long beforethis book came out). These guys could not do anything for Elvis in the end, cause he 'wouldnt listen' and was 'strong minded' and 'self destructive'.
However Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker IMO were in it for the money and women.

Trev1
01-06-2007, 12:02 PM
The most telling thing E ever did to make a statement about how he "really" felt about the so-called Memphis Mafia and others who were associated with him, was leaving all of them out of his will. That said more than he ever could.

Nearly all were just moochers, there for the perks at the time.

If you subscribe to the theory that the death was faked, then a choice couple of them were a part of it, and remain so today. If you don't, then really, no one can be culled from the pack as having been a real friend.

Its very rare for people to include 'friends' in their will, in most cases its parents, daughter, spouse, etc. and Elvis was no different.
I have a few really good friends...but in my will??? I don't think so...

Donut
01-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I don´t see anything wrong on getting proffit from Elvis telling their stories. In fact I enjoy reading them all, nice and not nice ones, wether they are told by family, ex-family or friends as long as they are honest and true. But after reading their books I have the right to like or not like some of those people and books, sometimes not for what they tell but for their intentions of telling certain things and I don´t see why I have to feel pity for them, everybody has had problems with friends and has lost a job and had to look for a new one or has ended a marriage or relationship.
For keping his memory alive thing through them some of you don´t seem to realize that the circus they have created only works in US and maybe in english speaking countries because I can´t find those books in my lenguage so we know him and admit his place in music history just for what he acomplished and his own talent. Doesn´t that ring a bell ? Hello ??

Sammy4Elvis
01-06-2007, 02:18 PM
I think its fine to let the world know about Elvis but there are certain things that have be written and said that were private then and should still be now and forever,if books hadn't been written then there would be lots of funny little stories etc that we wouldnt have known about and i'm sure Elvis would have loved to have shared but there were things he didint want people to know about and now we do,that is wrong. I will pay money for things I feel Elvis would have approved of,not things that are just a p**s take and he would have been hurt by.

Diane
01-06-2007, 03:25 PM
I can understand that it would have been hard for all who had been dependent on Elvis for a living to suddenly have been left with nothing. I just think more of Charlie who Vernon offered to keep on but decided to go find his own place in the world instead. He did go on tours for the Elvis concerts, conventions etc. and that was understandable as what would an Elvis concert be without Charlie, but he had his own life as well.

The others could easily have found work with other artists or found some position in the music world if they had really wanted to - their credentials were known world-wide after all.

I read somewhere that Red West said that they had written the book Elvis What Happened for a wake-up call to him but also that they were angry at him for being fired and they needed the money. I believe that this is the closest to the truth on this subject that we will ever get.

I do agree with some on this board that Joe is greedy and bends wherever the $$$$$ are as he never seems to stop looking for opportunities to do so. Jerry Shilling is similar but a little more honest and a little less greedy. Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker have never shown themselves to be other than bad-mouthers while trying to make themselves look good.

jak
01-07-2007, 12:33 AM
I can understand that it would have been hard for all who had been dependent on Elvis for a living to suddenly have been left with nothing. I just think more of Charlie who Vernon offered to keep on but decided to go find his own place in the world instead. He did go on tours for the Elvis concerts, conventions etc. and that was understandable as what would an Elvis concert be without Charlie, but he had his own life as well.

The others could easily have found work with other artists or found some position in the music world if they had really wanted to - their credentials were known world-wide after all.

I read somewhere that Red West said that they had written the book Elvis What Happened for a wake-up call to him but also that they were angry at him for being fired and they needed the money. I believe that this is the closest to the truth on this subject that we will ever get.

I do agree with some on this board that Joe is greedy and bends wherever the $$$$$ are as he never seems to stop looking for opportunities to do so. Jerry Shilling is similar but a little more honest and a little less greedy. Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker have never shown themselves to be other than bad-mouthers while trying to make themselves look good.

Diane
I would point out two things in your post that I disagree with.Charlie Hodge had no life outside of Elvis.Dont forget he even lived at graceland during those years.When Elvis died I think Vernon offered him a job in security.I think he didnt take it because he considered it beneath him.He basically was tossed out of Graceland with nothing.A sad way to go for a guy who spent so many loyal years in service to Elvis.
The other point is Red West needing the money for the book.Im sure the revenge factor was part of the motivation of course.Just dont forget that Elvis offered to pay them off if they didnt go through with it.Lots of people forget this.I truly believe Red was Elvis' true friend in spite of how things worked out.He befriended Elvis before the fame and stuck by him.Elvis betrayed him first.
I would point out also that Elvis picked all these guys.Either Elvis was totaly ignorant when it came to his friends,or maybe they are not as we sometimes percieve.Everyone here says what a good person Elvis was.Would he surround himself with such people?None of us know these people so how can we judge them fairly?Look at the fiery Priscilla threads that pop up occasionally.Im sure many negative comments are made by people who were not even born when Elvis was alive.We just make assumptions and I bet they are wrong a good deal of the time.Believe it or not, but Elvis fans are devoted to a fault sometimes.
Jak

Tony Trout
01-07-2007, 12:54 AM
What were their "credentials" apart from hanging around E?

Actually, Lamar was (and may still be AFAIK) active in the music business in Nashville in music publishing when he wasn't working with Elvis. A few of them actually did have a life outside of working for Elvis, believe it or not.

Diane
01-07-2007, 03:30 AM
Aw you guys are destroying all my illusions. I do believe that Charlie may have been too arrogant to accept a job as security but I feel he may still have been one who cared for Elvis sincerely and I think he did worry a lot about what Elvis was doing to himself with the prescription drugs and may have been disgusted at times with him for not being stronger although most if not all of them weren't much better.

I also believe that Red genuinely cared for Elvis as well but I think he also looked down on him and felt he was better like the other kids had done in school. I think he was always amazed that Elvis had come as far as he did. I also think that he felt guilty about the book later on and possibly Sonny did too. Don't think Dave Heber did though.

I don't believe Elvis was a strong man emotionally and I think he picked a lot of wrong guys to be around him. I think they helped keep him from maturing and growing in his personal life as he should have. I don't think any of them were much better if at all in that department.

Now please don't say that J.D. Sumner and Ed Parker were as bad or I will have no illusions left at all........:'(

jak
01-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey Diane
I wasnt being hard on Charlie.He really did care for Elvis.My point was that he wasnt prepared for a life without Elvis.He really was totally dependent on him.For the most part most of the fans liked Charlie and he's usually seen as a pretty good guy.I would call him a true friend to Elvis for sure.You probably know that he ended working in Pigeon Forge Tenn with an Elvis impersonator.Once again it's a persons ties with Elvis that paid the bills.I dont blame him at all for doing that.Another example of riding the gravy train.
Jak

Jumpsuit Junkie
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
That's true, and frankly, I don't want to know all the rotten stuff about an entertainer whose work I admire. On the other hand, that sort of "hear no evil" stuff on the part of Elvis fans has, imo, skewed many of the attitudes and as a result, they become outraged at any criticism of E or those around him. I'm surprised by the number of fans who think it's unacceptable to criticize Lisa . . . as far as I'm concerned, it's unacceptable to NOT criticize those who've used E and been disrespectful to him.

Yes, I find it very funny when the "Morally Outraged Fans" will not hear of anything that doesn't fit with the EPE myth. Having said that Priscilla more than most has now opened the floodgates on Elvis' personal life and so the old Mafia guys now see that and will jump on the bandwagon.

Maybe that explains why some people who knew Elvis haven't capitalized on his name and the association . . . they were financially set and haven't had the need to profit.

In this regard I applaud Linda Thomson, she has been nothing but respectful all these years and has only now decided to pen her book! Linda more than anyone is in positon to really give an insight into EP's decline over the 4-5 years they were together. I hope that when we do finally get the opportunity to read her scribings that it focuses on the positive but doesn't whitewash over the truth.

I believe that once Linda left Elvis there really was no way back from the road Elvis had taken, the fact that she loved Elvis and could not stand to see what was happening to him speaks volumes, the "Elvis What Happend" book was 2 years to late to effectively give Elvis the nudge he needed.

Matt

Trev1
01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe what your saying about Joe caould be true but at the same time I have never heard him say a bad word about Elvis unlike Lamar and Marty - he always speaks respectfully about E.
I have a lot of time for Jerry S and also Larry Geller....

C Parker - now theres someone who didnt give a crap about Elvis....as Larry said: all the mattered to him was that Elvis was on that stage - no matter what condition he was in....
Parker could and should have stopped some of those later tours :hmm:

jak
01-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Yes, I find it very funny when the "Morally Outraged Fans" will not hear of anything that doesn't fit with the EPE myth. Having said that Priscilla more than most has now opened the floodgates on Elvis' personal life and so the old Mafia guys now see that and will jump on the bandwagon.

In this regard I applaud Linda Thomson, she has been nothing but respectful all these years and has only now decided to pen her book! Linda more than anyone is in positon to really give an insight into EP's decline over the 4-5 years they were together. I hope that when we do finally get the opportunity to read her scribings that it focuses on the positive but doesn't whitewash over the truth.

I believe that once Linda left Elvis there really was no way back from the road Elvis had taken, the fact that she loved Elvis and could not stand to see what was happening to him speaks volumes, the "Elvis What Happend" book was 2 years to late to effectively give Elvis the nudge he needed.

Matt

Matt
Priscilla was very late when it came to writing about Elvis' personal life.Many others beat her to it.The first ones were the guys behind the bodyguard book back in 77 when Elvis was around to defend himself.I believe Goldman's book preceeded hers also.Those two books are the ones that essentially exposed Elvis' darker side.The Goldman book was writen with malice but unfortunately was basically accurate.
Jak

Diane
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Jak, I know what you're saying about Charlie is true, I've felt it sometimes myself watching him with Elvis on stage. I just keep trying to believe that there must be people who are true to themselves and others.

Elpfan, to answer your question about why I think Red looked down on Elvis in school is because most of the kids did because of his "weirdness" in his choice of clothing and wearing his hair long. That was why Red came to his rescue when he was cornered, he felt sorry for the "weird" kid. People always look down on someone who is different and not like themselves.

Matt, I hope too that Linda doesn't whitewash her experiences living with Elvis. Now that so much dirt has been dug up over the years, truths distorted and downright lies what could it hurt? The trouble is we've been bombarded with so much of it it will be impossible for a lot of us to truly believe what she has to say. Is she harboring some inner resentments she covers up well or trying to make herself look good? She doesn't appear to be that way but who really knows? Again we'll just have to believe what we want to.

franny
01-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I think most of them rode the gravy train...and some cared for Elvis more than others, but all of them except for Charlie Hodge, as far as I know, have written a book so many years after had Elvis passed on...How accurate are the details when it's written say 30 years later...

I think Joe Esposito is the most money hungry...he did have that contest where he was charging per day those who entered it...(n)

franny

jak
01-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I think most of them rode the gravy train...and some cared for Elvis more than others, but all of them except for Charlie Hodge, as far as I know, have written a book so many years after had Elvis passed on...How accurate are the details when it's written say 30 years later...

I think Joe Esposito is the most money hungry...he did have that contest where he was charging per day those who entered it...(n)

franny

Charlie wrote a book also.He sold them at the theatre in Pigeon Forge.Charlie was living off Elvis right until the end.Im not saying that a strike against him either.He just did what he had to do.
Jak

01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Its very rare for people to include 'friends' in their will, in most cases its parents, daughter, spouse, etc. and Elvis was no different.
I have a few really good friends...but in my will??? I don't think so...

It's also very rare to employ your friends and have them practically live with you.

Elvis wasn't an average joe, and 'norms' tend to rarely apply to him.

01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Charlie wrote a book also.He sold them at the theatre in Pigeon Forge.Charlie was living off Elvis right until the end.Im not saying that a strike against him either.He just did what he had to do.
Jak

Yeah when i met him before he was diagnosed, he was delighted to tell me that the guy who wrote the book for him had died and he was getting all the money from it now!

I had to laugh to myself, he was beaming side to side at the Cash he could make from it~!

Lisarose
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
First of all, how much money do these people actually make off their books? I think that only successful authors who keep writing & get their books sold make real money. These guys were all on EP's payroll, weren't they adult enough to hear of something as simple as a Savings Account? And with all their connections provided to them by simply knowing Elvis, they could have easily gotten paying jobs in the industry & maybe have hired an investor so that their money worked for them (why didn't anyone in Elvis' team do that with all his money? He made over a million before he was 21). These books are my only insight into Elvis & as close as I'll ever b e able to get to him, I'll never be able to see him in concert or meet him. I only have his recordings, his movies, & books from those close to him - & even those I have to wade through & decipher & decide who was true to his memory. I'm glad that I have threads like this they help me get more little snips into his life

4THEHEART
01-23-2007, 04:35 PM
somehow you are always defensive about those ex and so called friends Jack, and longing for the justice for those same people..good..I just can't get it why Elvis is the ever evil ,guilty party and they are the innocent lambs,this is beyond my IQ I guess.. how embarrassing for me ..
In every family people try to go on living after their source of income goes..they(familiy) have natural rights to continue a business to get on their lives..but what EPE came to or that books full of empty BS is nothing to do with the right of earning bread after Elvis gone..When it comes to the book that West guys wrote is the cheapest thing a friend could do. Can money be an excuse for stabbing a friend like that?..I bet Elvis would have hired those *****s back and what's wrong, if he offered them money..Other famous and rich people could have some different ways to stop that s..t.He had all the rights to stop that lies.. yes lies cause, don't think they ever understand what really was going on in his life. But Elvis wasn't that person who was mentioned in the book.so he let go..Besides,I'm sure he wanted to support those miserable friends financially,not because to make them step back, just because he did want to help them and their families,without thinkin anything about the book..He knew loyalty and he was the one who had a forgiving heart and the one who put all the effort to love people with all their content,good and bad both..Yet this is unbelievable specially for some certain mentallity.what they did was,"hey we need money so bash the closest friend,the one who cared for us all those years,what the heck"..cheapest thing to do, a shamefull way to earn one's bread and no excuse for doing this.. are they the books we need to read,the great documentaries about the man,that could fill the gaps in the history..? yes we need books,but books..

jak
01-23-2007, 05:00 PM
somehow you are always defensive about those ex and so called friends Jack, and longing for the justice for those same people..good..I just can't get it why Elvis is the ever evil ,guilty party and they are the innocent lambs,this is beyond my IQ I guess.. how embarrassing for me ..
In every family people try to go on living after their source of income goes..they(familiy) have natural rights to continue a business to get on their lives..but what EPE came to or that books full of empty BS is nothing to do with the right of earning bread after Elvis gone..When it comes to the book that West guys wrote is the cheapest thing a friend could do. Can money be an excuse for stabbing a friend like that?..I bet Elvis would have hired those *****s back and what's wrong, if he offered them money..Other famous and rich people could have some different ways to stop that s..t.He had all the rights to stop that lies.. yes lies cause, don't think they ever understand what really was going on in his life. But Elvis wasn't that person who was mentioned in the book.so he let go..Besides,I'm sure he wanted to support those miserable friends financially,not because to make them step back, just because he did want to help them and their families,without thinkin anything about the book..He knew loyalty and he was the one who had a forgiving heart and the one who put all the effort to love people with all their content,good and bad both..Yet this is unbelievable specially for some certain mentallity.what they did was,"hey we need money so bash the closest friend,the one who cared for us all those years,what the heck"..cheapest thing to do, a shamefull way to earn one's bread and no excuse for doing this.. are they the books we need to read,the great documentaries about the man,that could fill the gaps in the history..? yes we need books,but books..

Elvis is the one the fans portray as the innocent lamb.His fans have a very selective thought process when it comes to forming opinions.Elvis has taken many cheap shots from people over the years that knew him.Those people are rightfully dismissed.The problem is when someone writes a factual book but is despised becuase it does not gloss over negative issues that so many fans cant or wont believe.You say the people around him didnt understand what was going on in his life.But the fans do?This is the thought process that leads to so many misconceptions about Elvis.
Jak

4THEHEART
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
don't we have in our lives too, who are the nearest yet can't see nothing and we don't even try to tell them and let them believe as they wish .well,I have unfortunately..

poormansgold
01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
know what, I hadn't read A Elvis book after , Elvis and Me, and almost books I got about his Recordings Sessions or the tours, Records . we know that elvis is like us, he wasn't peferct we made him to be,
I talk to Joe E my e-mail few times and I think that He cares about Elvis much we knews, he does, we can't judge people we get know them first.

I'm not good with words you can see that. some one will judge me on that
know what they can kiss my _____ they want.
whom buy thoses books are fool beleive they read, I know I'm Judge someone, because I used be like that.
We can go on about books on Elvis for years, there will more books be writing about him.

Tom

4THEHEART
01-23-2007, 06:25 PM
why it is sooooo unbelievable when someone has good human qualities which was more than one,while we can easily believe all the bad and odd..or why should we ban a person from being better than some of us..it's not the matter of perfection..none of us has a right to expect Elvis or anyone else to be perfect..since "there's no such thing" in my opinion..bad news,Elvis had some very high qualities,while he shouldn't have..don't know any of you but, more than I have or I will ever have..I can accept this and believe me that doesn't hurt my ego..
yet I learned my lesson.."believin good makes you a fool,but believing bad makes you intelligent"..I'm a fool in Elvis's case..

Diane
01-24-2007, 12:12 AM
4theheart,(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Donut
01-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Would you like Elvis less if you found out in adiction to all the good things we already know and believe he did for people and his huge generosity he also had a real problem with drugs and was a womanizer ?
If that?s the case I think his "longterm" relationships, band members and close family have bad news for you...
Personaly I don?t have any problem accepting it and neither I think he was a worse person for that and the good by far outweighed the bad. He had the right to live his life whowever he wanted and to choose his own friends and relationships and we aren?t anybody to say who he should have befriended or sleept with.

jak
01-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Would you like Elvis less if you found out in adiction to all the good things we already know and believe he did for people and his huge generosity he also had a real problem with drugs and was a womanizer ?
If that?s the case I think his "longterm" relationships, band members and close family have bad news for you...
Personaly I don?t have any problem accepting it and neither I think he was a worse person for that and the good by far outweighed the bad. He had the right to live his life whowever he wanted and to choose his own friends and relationships and we aren?t anybody to say who he should have befriended or sleept with.

Nicely stated Donut(y)

Donut
01-24-2007, 03:10 PM
I don?t have any special interest in deffending Marty Lacker but read his book time ago and if I?m not mistaken he never portraited himself as the poor lamb... he told in it that he had the same or a bigger problem with pills that Elvis had (all the MM admit that themselves). The only thing that bothers me is when they tell unnecesary details about Elvis private life that don?t matter to comprehend his life.
Some Marty Lacker?s quotes from "The best of Elvis" book:
- He was such a good person that he just wanted to alleviate everybody?s problems.
- Elvis was the epitome of the Biblical joy of giving. He gave without wanting anything in return. He loved to make people happy.
- He made people feel like someone loved them.

The thing is you can?t judge the books untill you have read them, once you have done it maybe you find out they aren?t that negative after all. I can count with just one hand the ones that I found disrespectful...

Diane
01-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Marty Lacker is not my favorite of the MMs for sure but I feel that he is like everyone else who wrote a book. Some things are true, others exaggerated.

I for one have no problem with Elvis' bad habits in view of the life he was leading and as true fans we should not deny them otherwise we are loving someone who didn't exist. I also feel like you Donut that the good outweighed the bad.

4THEHEART
01-24-2007, 06:24 PM
let me answer..till I was 10,I didn't like that man called Elvis,nor his music..though I was a kid I was more into classical music(maybe related my love and study of ballet)and jazz,bigbands, crooners etc..I still love those music..all I heard about Elvis was extremely negative ,he had all the possible evil in him..:lol: in 77,right after his death,with one LP, MSG live album which was already at home for years,and never interested before that day,a day I was burning with a high temperature and off school,I got lost in his music and a new door opened in my life ..yes it happened that sudden..then I(and my bro) digged home for some other records of him and found some 45rpm's than started to buy every record we could found..yes we became fans(if this is the right word ) without seeing any movie or proper photo of him(his beauty I mean) and knowing he was a baaaad man..
Yes I'm capable of loving lousy people as well..if this is what you want to learn..my thoughts and beliefs about him which you all know,is the point I came today,since 77..you may find right or wrong,but I was lead by my inner thoughts till today and I survived..

Joe Car
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
The bottom line, Elvis wasn't perfect and neither is anybody else. Despite his faults, his good far outweighed the bad. Apart from his genius and zillion other great attributes, nobody could ever question his compassion for his fellow man, his kindness to family, friends and complete strangers. It didn't matter what your race was, or your social status, if EP found out you were in trouble, or perhaps had no vehicle, no job, or whatever, he would find a way to help, with no motive other then he genuinely cared for people. He truly was a great humanitarian.

As far as the gravy train goes, I understand the need for people who were with EP most of their adult lives, to earn of living, I just don't like when they talk down about him to increase sales, that's not right. The man supported countless of people from 1955, until the day he died. It's no wonder why he needed to keep working, so many people relied on him!

Donut
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
let me answer..till I was 10,I didn't like that man called Elvis,nor his music..though I was a kid I was more into classical music(maybe related my love and study of ballet)and jazz,bigbands, crooners etc..I still love those music..all I heard about Elvis was extremely negative ,he had all the possible evil in him..:lol: in 77,right after his death,with one LP, MSG live album which was already at home for years,and never interested before that day,a day I was burning with a high temperature and off school,I got lost in his music and a new door opened in my life ..yes it happened that sudden..then I(and my bro) digged home for some other records of him and found some 45rpm's than started to buy every record we could found..yes we became fans(if this is the right word ) without seeing any movie or proper photo of him(his beauty I mean) and knowing he was a baaaad man..
Yes I'm capable of loving lousy people as well..if this is what you want to learn..my thoughts and beliefs about him which you all know,is the point I came today,since 77..you may find right or wrong,but I was lead by my inner thoughts till today and I survived..

That bad man thing and the devil is just in your mind. He wasn?t a bad person for taking pills or sleeping with women and I hope it?s true he went to bed with so many to compensate for his short stay on this earth ;)

4THEHEART
01-24-2007, 08:56 PM
OMG ..another misunderstanding..I am even not the last person to think there's anything bad in him..theres nothing evil in "MY MIND" when it comes to Elvis.I've been always the one who blamed with thinkin of him too high and yes I do believe he had higher qualities than standarts..but when I was asked if I'd have loved him if he wasn't that good,I answered yes, I begin to love him when all I knew about him was negative .Fortunately I found out that he was exactly the opposite and a hard to believe human being instead and this was a bonus to his talents..bad..When it comes to women..there's nothing wrong with it,his romantic affairs or friendships with opposite sex was only his business..who could tell any other, who to love or get involved with..and drugs..just BS that it was for fun,no it wasn't for fun..they were needed for short term treatments..he had serious health problems,yet had to work so hard..is that clear enough now to show what is in my mind..

Donut
01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
It was clear from the beggining... you just reinforced what I thought was your theory. Everyone has the right to think whatever they want so that?s Ok to me.

4THEHEART
01-24-2007, 10:01 PM
ok than..;) I'm not always good enough,in explaining what I think, in English..since I tought the language myself :blush: so I can get easily misunderstood..:P