PDA

View Full Version : Quick movie trivia question

srj1967
01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Okay, here's a poser for you ...

Several actors appeared in two movies with Elvis, eg Bill Bixby, Yvonne Craig, Arthur O'Connell etc.

And we know that actress Shelley Fabares starred in three Elvis vehicles.

But which actor appeared in three Elvis movies? (No, the Memphis Mafia guys are not included in this).

(Note: I'm old fashioned, and I believe that men are actors and women are actresses; so by actor, I mean a man).

He's still acting, and last year appeared in a critically acclaimed movie.

Who is it? Can't offer any prizes, only a hearty well done if anyone gets it.

Jim Saidhello
01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Wow, I would like to know what answer you got for this!

After scrubbing imdb, I discover that Elvis starred with Howard McNear in three films. However Howard died in 1969, so he can't be the answer you're looking for.

If you're thinking Kurt Russell (and you want people to actually guess), you should be a little clearer about how broadly you're defining "Elvis movies." Only one of the three films (It Happened At The World's Fair) actually starred Elvis. The movie "Elvis" from 1979 is a TV movie, not theatrical, so may not count in many people's books. And of course there's the execrable "3000 Miles to Graceland," which didn't feature Elvis as a character or actor at all.

Still, intriguing question. Certainly Kurt is the most Elvis-like of living actors. Maybe a remake of Viva Las Vegas with him & Reese Witherspoon?

vulcandude
01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Wow, I would like to know what answer you got for this!

After scrubbing imdb, I discover that Elvis starred with Howard McNear in three films. However Howard died in 1969, so he can't be the answer you're looking for.

If you're thinking Kurt Russell (and you want people to actually guess), you should be a little clearer about how broadly you're defining "Elvis movies." Only one of the three films (It Happened At The World's Fair) actually starred Elvis. The movie "Elvis" from 1979 is a TV movie, not theatrical, so may not count in many people's books. And of course there's the execrable "3000 Miles to Graceland," which didn't feature Elvis as a character or actor at all.

Still, intriguing question. Certainly Kurt is the most Elvis-like of living actors. Maybe a remake of Viva Las Vegas with him & Reese Witherspoon?Ok, a re-make of "Viva Las Vegas" with Kurt Russell sounds great, but I can't picture Reese Witherspoon in Ann-Margaret's role. How about Shania Twain? If she had acting lessons, I think she'd fit the bill....plus, she can sing.

srj1967
01-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I was referring only to Elvis' actual movies here, and not any Elvis-related projects.

Anyway, the answer is actor L Q Jones.

He appeared in Stay Away, Joe (as Bronc Hoverty); Flaming Star (as Tom Howard) and Love Me Tender (uncredited, as Pardee Fleming).

The film he was in last year was Robert Altman's last work, A Prairie Home Companion (as Chuck Akers). Can't say I liked this film much.

And as for a remake of Viva Las Vegas ... if it could be done well (which of course it couldn't be), I'd give my nod to Lindsay Lohan. She can act when she has a good project for herself. There was talk a few years ago about a remake of it with J-Lo (Christ!) and Ricky Martin (Save us!).

Jim Saidhello
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Well thanks, srj1967, for not "cheating" on this one. That is truly interesting trivia! It's interesting that LQ only starred in the Elvis westerns... shame there was no role for him in Charro!, however. Really cool little tidbit.

As for VLV2, of course Lindsay Lohan would be a shoo-in, as she's this generation's Ann-Margret (as a performer, anyway). I fear that we have no present-day Elvis to match her fire, however! (Any suggestions?)

Actually, the J-Lo/Ricky Martin version sounds pretty good imho (sorry!) - although I can't see the two of them having much chemistry onscreen, let alone the requisite torrid affair off-.

srj1967
01-05-2007, 05:52 AM
I don't think there is a single male peformer today who has that "IT" factor that Elvis had (whatever the hell that "IT" factor is, I still haven't figured it out ...)

Ricky Martin has the sex appeal, but completely lacks any macho coolness.

Justine Timberlake? HA! I can't even begin to tell you what I think of him (although "Lucky bastard" springs to mind .. he's with Cameron Diaz! (y) )

I like John Mayer a lot, but again he's a little effete for my tastes.

And Ryan Adams is probably the best male singer out there now (Google him if you don't know who I'm talking about).

In terms of looks and charisma, only George Cloney comes close to Elvis these days. But he's an actor, not a singer.

And, just to prove how old I am, I really can't think of any other current male singers! Not that it's a big deal: I keep my eye on today's music scene, and most of the commercially released stuff is utter crapola.

Merry
01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
I have to agree re George Clooney.

Although, one you may have not thought of, is Johnny Depp. Look at the profile of his face, he is a wonderful actor (in my opinion), plus he is also a musician. He doesn't have the "it" factor personally, from what I have observed, but I think he could act as if he does.

I don't know how tall he is though, as he appears to be of a lot finer build than Elvis was, but he is the only actor I can think of, who MAY have a chance of pulling the roll off. Perhaps the camera angle and smaller actors beside him, could make him look more statuesque? lol

What do you think?

Jess

Merry
01-10-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I'm really talking generally re Johnny Depp. Why I mentioned Johnny was thinking about that ridiculous EP "Series" "Thing" that was produced by Cilla and EPE on Elvis last year. I would have liked to have seen someone like Johnny in that roll. The acting from that other "fellow" was like chalk on a board, lol. Watching that little actor (I'll stop at more personal comments on my thoughts of him, not good) go through his moves (shivers)....lol.....sorry, think it is obvious I didn't like it! I got a bit carried away there, oh well.

I wouldn't like to see any re-makes of Elvis' work, either.

To me, Elvis did it right (even though he, himself wasn't happy with most of the movies. I was young, and loved them and still find them thoroughly entertaining and heart warming) the first time, it just wouldn't sit right, and I would avoid watching anything that had been "re-done" (as I turn my nose up typing this, lol).

Jess

Merry
01-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Are we talking about a remake of VLV? Well, I'm not a <snipped>

IMDB states that he's 5'10". I have him pictured as being rather small in frame/stature.

*****Agreed, I think I touched on that.*******

I think a lot of actors are likely smaller than they look onscreen.

Something I remember about seeing E in person, (apart from the jet black hair and magic presence), was his height.

You lucky thing!

Sorry, ELPFan, I should have quoted you in my reply, so I am now.

Jess