PDA

View Full Version : A great James Brown quote about Elvis...

Trelane P
12-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I've heard a couple of James Brown quotes about Elvis but this one is new to me. A great quote...

Sharpton said Brown always knew his place in history. "He used to tell me, `There are two American originals, Elvis and me,"' Sharpton said. "'Elvis is gone, and I've got to carry on."'

http://www.9wsyr.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=cee94f5e-1c5d-4809-9835-fffab19bfd0d

Wendy56
12-29-2006, 07:56 AM
There's a live version of It's a Mans, Mans World where Mr. Brown ask to his audience for a big aplause to Elvis (an to many other important singers). I knew James B went to Elvis funeral, is that correct?

Trelane P
12-29-2006, 09:10 AM
I believe JB was the first celeb to jump on a plane to Memphis when Elvis died and he spent a long time with the body (if the stories are true).
TP

12-29-2006, 10:01 AM
While it is sad that a music icon like James Brown has died, Brown and Elvis were not close friends. In fact, Jame Brown has fabricated stories about his meetings with Elvis; and infuriated Presley so much that Elvis refused to go one of James Browns opening concerts; after Brown barged in on Elvis, and insisted that Elvis be present at his concert the following night in the same venue.

Needless to say Elvis sent the guys instaed of himself with an excuse for him not being able to attend. The following day Elvis sent James Brown watches as a gift - more of a PR ploy so Brown woulden't bad mouth Elvis for not attending than a gesture of friendship.

Brown attened the funeral at Graceland uninvited.

thehillbillycat
12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
But he was there. He was the first entertainer to walk in for the funeral. He was also with the body after the funeral. He loved Elvis alot. He knew what Elvis meant to the fans. Oh, several people like JD Summer, Charlie Hodge, and several others had even said that James Brown was the first entertainer to arrive at the funeral.