PDA

View Full Version : Was 'Stay Away Joe' a turning point in Elvis' film career?

EAP_2005
07-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I just wondered what people thought about this. It was his first film in a while which seemed to leave the 'Beach & Bikini' formula behind and his roles after this movie seemed to take on a bit more mature role. He couldn't have gone on making 'Blue Hawaii' type films into the 70's and it's interesting to ponder what his next couple of scripts would have been like, after 1969's 'Change of Habit'.

'Stay away Joe', although not in the same league as say 'King Creole', is a film I enjoy very much and find really funny. He had a good supporting cast and the opening of Elvis singing to the melody of Greensleves, with aerial shots of the desert scenery, is beautiful.

EAP_2005
07-07-2004, 04:41 PM
(Just try to forget about the song 'Dominic' when answering that question! lol ;) ;) )

E.L.V.I.S
07-07-2004, 05:01 PM
King creole,love me tender, jailhouse rock and loving you were all very mature films,it was just the colonel and those rubbish storylines that forced elvis into un-mature films,aron.

Lonniebealestreet
07-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Elvis certainly thought it was a step in the right direction. Or at least some comments he made during production (I believe) seemed to indicate some level of satisfation with the changes that were in the air.

He said something to the effect that the character he played in most of his movies was a guy who had things happen to him, whether it was girls or other circumstances which dictated the course of his life. But Joe Lightcloud was a go-getter, a guy who stirred things up and made things happen.

Although there were some mature themes, great scenery, and quality co-stars, I think Elvis was either talking himself into feeling a little better about things, or those comments were made before much filming had occurred.

I hate to sound like that, but I just don't think Stay Away, Joe turned out to be much of a movie. I bet Elvis ended up disappointed too.

I think I had my hopes too high going into it too, probably because it did have the ingredients of a good movie.

Let me point out that I really like some of the what could be called less cerebral Elvis films like Tickle Me, Clambake, Kissin' Cousins, etc. But Stay Away, Joe to me seemed so directionless and underdeveloped; I couldn't really get behind it.

JMO. The movie did have its moments though. And of course, since it has Elvis, it is not without merit.

Albert
07-08-2004, 01:07 AM
I must admit that it's way too long ago to remember this movie :blush:

http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/images/stayawayjoestill5.jpg http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/images/stayawayjoestill4.jpg http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/images/stayawayjoestill3.jpg

But when looking at the list of movies, I agree that this was a new attempt to offer the Elvisfans/audience something different. And I like that (wish that BMG would also understand that nowadays).

If you look at this list of movies, you can conclude that the movies were getting better and better:

Speedway (http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/speedway.html)
Live A Little Love A Little (http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/livealittlelovealittle.html)
Live A Little Love A Little (http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/livealittlelovealittle.html)
The Trouble With Girls (http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/thetroublewithgirls.html)

These movies really showed Elvis in a role of a mature man, instead of a 30-something womanizer.

Change Of Habit (http://www.geocities.com/elvismdb/changeofhabit.html)

curtis simpkins
07-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Just saw this movie on tcm, and in widescreen,

to me this is a fun Elvis movie to see, and i do love the soundtrack of the flim

but one song is different "All i needed was the rain" this version is much
different then it was frist released on the flaming star camden album.

and this is much better flim then most movies he ever made, and i think he to
had fun with this movie.

now i can't waite for this to come out on dvd,(if is'nt out allready).

Liverbobs
07-08-2004, 04:13 AM
I think this is one of the funniest films Elvis made, I thought there was only me who likes this film!, it also appears to be more adult orientated !
and don't knock the song Dominic, my 8 year old son is called Dominic and when he was little he thought Elvis recorded it just for him, he used to say "Why is Elvis singing to me?"LOL (y)

Elvisgirl
07-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Just saw this movie on tcm, and in widescreen,

to me this is a fun Elvis movie to see, and i do love the soundtrack of the flim

but one song is different "All i needed was the rain" this version is much
different then it was frist released on the flaming star camden album.

and this is much better flim then most movies he ever made, and i think he to
had fun with this movie.

now i can't waite for this to come out on dvd,(if is'nt out allready).
where are you from??
It wasnt on tcm here :'(

EAP_2005
07-08-2004, 06:01 AM
King creole,love me tender, jailhouse rock and loving you were all very mature films,it was just the colonel and those rubbish storylines that forced elvis into un-mature films,aron.
Yeah, absolutely Aron. His first four films showed Elvis had great talent as an actor - especially King Creole. The Colonel should have built on that and allowed Elvis to develop as an actor - but once again, money came first! :sad:

I think this is one of the funniest films Elvis made, I thought there was only me who likes this film!, it also appears to be more adult orientated !
and don't knock the song Dominic, my 8 year old son is called Dominic and when he was little he thought Elvis recorded it just for him, he used to say "Why is Elvis singing to me?"LOL
I'm pleased you agree, Liverbobs. :) Oh - and apologies to your lad. I promise to spend the rest of the day singing Dominic to myself (not a pretty sight! lol ;) ;) )

Lonniebealestreet
07-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Maybe it's time for me to give this movie another chance. After watching it the first time and being less than knocked out by it, I don't think I've seen the whole thing since.

Part of my problem with it is likely that I had thought it was going to be a little more serious than it was, I guess. Not that I normally expected that from the rest of Elvis's movies the first time I saw them, but I had that impression for some reason.

There definitely was a trend there with the last 4 or 5 movies, and I really like the others. I don't think they are generally thought of too highly.

Liverbobs
07-08-2004, 07:09 AM
[

I'm pleased you agree, Liverbobs. :) Oh - and apologies to your lad. I promise to spend the rest of the day singing Dominic to myself (not a pretty sight! lol ;) ;) )[/QUOTE]

:D No worries!! I've heard the song that many times I kinda like it now :supriced: LOL

jbgude
07-08-2004, 09:40 AM
I thought SAJ had a lot of tounge in cheek humour .....and if you guys have any experience of third world countires you will find many real life parallels to the story ..appearances and good times come before planing and saving !

I think this movie was also used a study on Socio Economic habits in an US University (Ohio ?) some years ago.

Cut of the overly extended fight scenes, the overdone mother-in law with a gun and perhaps Dominic ( really made no sense singing about a bull while chasing girls -but then what do we know :P ) and you have a pretty fast paced funny movie . I like it! :lol:

jb

Jungleroom76
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
TOUGH CALL EAP_2005!! :hmm:

I suppose STAY AWAY JOE was a turning point in one aspect, in that the movies which came after it (with the exception of THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS, which was just kind of "out there" in my opinion) were attempts at giving Elvis some better material...although CHARRO turned out to be less-than-well received, I personally thought it was a decent movie (and I am not a big fan of western movies anyway). And, really, can anyone argue that CHANGE OF HABIT was at the very least a more dramatic picture than we were used to seeing Elvis in by that point? Again, I thought Elvis turned in a fine performance in CHANGE OF HABIT...a very mature role for Elvis!

Just my opinion though... ;)

TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
07-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Must agree about Change Of Habit. I actually like The Trouble With Girls quite a bit. Although I haven't watched Stay Away, Joe again, as of now I would definitely say I like 'Trouble' more than that one.

Jungleroom76
07-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Don't get me wrong Bobby....I like THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS just fine...but as far as it being a more dramatic picture, like CHANGE OF HABIT or CHARRO, I just don't think it is in that league.

However....THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS was definitely DIFFERENT than the usual formulaic musicals Elvis was making prior to STAY AWAY JOE! And, there are several "mature" (as EAP_2005 stated originally) themes running through THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS.

So, I guess overall, in terms of "mature" films, THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS does fit into that category. As far as "dramatic", I don't agree that it fits into that category well. Does that sound totally confusing?? :blink:

As for your thought that you like THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS better than STAY AWAY JOE, that is a tough one for me. Not sure which one I would rate as being the better movie....they both have redeeming qualities to me....I'll have to give that one some thought!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike