PDA

View Full Version : Great article about Elvis Presley

peter
12-02-2006, 12:04 PM
One of best rock singers of all time Ian Gillan (singer of Deep Purple who made Child In Time) wrote a BEAUTIFUL article for current (December) Classic Rock Magazine...

Special note - Ian Gillan sung two cover versions of Elvis Presley songs - Trouble and Trying To Get To You (I have to recommend them, they are excellent!). Trying To Get To You is one of his favourites songs of all time!

"Elvis Presley, you can call him the king” by Ian Gillan

I lost interest in Elvis Presley after he made the Blue Hawaii film [in 1961] and went to Las Vegas, but in his prime nobody could touch him. Michael Parkinson once asked the famous New Zealand soprano Kiri te Kanawa about the greatest voice she’d ever heard, probably expecting here to name Pavarotti or Maria Callas, but she said:”The young Elvis Presley, without any doubt.”

Elvis’ voice was unique. Like so many others he had natural, technical ability, but there was something in the humanity of his voice, and his delivery. He was very influenced by southern blues, and he helped to prove that you could this bizarre mixture of country and western, blues and folk music. I soaked up what he did like blotting paper. It’s the same as being in school – you learn by copying the maestro. His personality was also extremly endearing. The shaking of his hips was deemed sensational back then, but unlike Little Richard or Chuck Berry his interviews were very self-affacing. He came over as gentle and was very generous in his praise of others.

Gradually, though, his youthful vigour and uninhibeted style began to ebb away. For me, he sang the last time in the movie Gi Blues[1960]. Along with the rest of Deep Purple I once had the chance to meet Elvis. The rest of the guys went along, but I couldn’t stand seeing my hero after he’d changed so much. Those early records are still incredible, though. They can remix them and make them hits for the younger generation, and Elvis will always be the king. The reason is simple: He was the greatest singer that ever lived."

Joe Car
12-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I think you'll find a lot of the rockers that grew up with Elvis when they were kids, prefer his early work, which is understandable, since it influenced them and so many other artists and is untouchable, even till this day. One thing about it, that voice was so incredible. Very nice article, thanks.

Diane
12-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Very nice article, thanks for posting.:D :D

franny
12-02-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks, for posting that article!
It was a nice read! (y)

franny

peter
12-13-2006, 10:33 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dY2ZVY-cDg

This is IG version of Trouble... I?m sure you?ll enjoy it ;)

Dovey
12-13-2006, 01:10 PM
:newyear: Thank you for posting the article... good read!!!! ;) :) :lol: :D Dovey:blush:

Merry
12-15-2006, 04:31 AM
Great article, thankyou. I felt Elvis' voice matured as the years went on, I honestly enjoy listening to his voice from all the different decades. My personal favourite time, is from the 70's ...... oh o.k.......I loved his voice from '68, (all of his career actually, I can't pick on second thoughts).

I feel this comment, excerpted from above, is very apt:

"I think you'll find a lot of the rockers that grew up with Elvis when they were kids, prefer his early work, which is understandable, since it influenced them and so many other artists and is untouchable, even till this day. One thing about it, that voice was so incredible. Very nice article, thanks"

Elvis sung from his toes up, don't you think? lol

Jess

elvislady
12-15-2006, 04:57 AM
That was a intresting read thanks for posting.
elvislady:D

Wendy56
12-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the article and the video! :clap: