PDA

View Full Version : I Am In Love, Part 2!!!!

Jungleroom76
06-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Although I haven't been able to watch all of the new '68 COMEBACK SPECIAL DELUXE EDITION DVD yet, I thought I would share some of my early thoughts on this set with everyone!

Just like it's companion set ALOHA FROM HAWAII, the deluxe edition of the '68 Special is also a TOP NOTCH PRODUCTION!!! The booklet for the '68 DVD set seems very complete, right down to the individual take numbers for the various outtakes and whether the takes are complete or incomplete, and if they are incomplete, why Elvis didn't finish the take. Very cool reading and a great companion for these DVD's!!

As for the DVD's themselves, what can I say?? They are simply STUNNING, both in audio and video quality!! The audio is crisp and clear (at least throughout the 1/2 of the set I have been able to watch so far) and the video is quite sharp and crisp as well!! Elvis never looked better than during the '68 special, and these DVD's provide the definitive proof of that!!

As for the material....for the most part, it is very smooth and flows very well. However, some of the outtakes are a bit rough or bumpy in terms of the cameras and how they were shot, but then again you would certainly expect that with outtakes. The bumpiness or unsteadiness of the camera during these outtakes makes it as bit hard to follow the action at times, but certainly doesn't distract from the overall enjoyment of the set!!

One little thing I was a bit disappointed in though was the specially assembled video for IF I CAN DREAM. I understand that the producers assembled this video as a sort of promotion for the set....however, I must say that the video itself is a little bland....it really would have been nice if they had done something to it to make it stand out. Basically, the video just cuts back and forth between the footage of Elvis from the end of the special in the white suit and the footage of Elvis from the "stand-up" shows wearing the black leather suit. Personally, I am not sure what they could have done to make this video stand out a bit more, but there must have been something...again, my only disappointment in this set so far!!

As I said, I have watched about 1/2 of this set so far and at this point, I would rate this DVD set a very solid 9.5 out of 10!!! (y)

Once again....CONGRATULATIONS TO RCA/EPE FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!! :worthy:

TCB!
Mike

curtis simpkins
06-30-2004, 07:19 PM
nice review mike.

i havent seen all of the 68 comback either, but my friend has this dvd set,
he invite me over to see some of set, we watch disc 3,

this disc is almost 2 hour long, and there's some funny stuff on here.
and i think and my freind think this has will, this might be the most work
that Elvis even done in has life!. :clap:

oh did anyone note's this, in one seen, and the save number they shoews
the (blossums sorry if i miss spelled this)- but on the camera man, has
his camera on them but on there boob's and the butt, i thoght i was seeing a xxx movie. :clap: :P

did anyone seen that part of it.

Jungleroom76
06-30-2004, 09:02 PM
THANKS CURTIS!! :D

Haven't seen disc 3 yet....watched all of disc 2 and saw the first sit-down show on disc 1. Planning on watching more ASAP...just having a hard time finding time to sit down and watch all of it!! :blink:

I'll have to look for that goof when I watch disc 3....thanks for the heads-up on that Curtis!!

TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
07-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Why would that be a goof?

Nice review, Mike. Yeah, that Comeback set is decent too. ;)

I like the new If I Can Dream video, although admittedly perhaps a little more could have been done with it. I thought that they might employ as many different takes as they could, to give it as new a look as possible. Since the black leather performance was Elvis lipsynching anyway, I thought maybe they would use a few segments from the other white suit performances. Surely there were some parts which could have matched closely enough in the lipsynch department to warrant their use. That way it would have looked even more different. But I am not disappointed in the video and have watched it several times. It's really neat because I am sure many people were not aware he performed that song in a different segment of the special, and even knowing that it's really a cool thing to see. The way I see it, that video was an extra anyway; they gave us all they had and then some. So that's why I'm still cheering... :clap:

P.S. Annie
07-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the review Mike.

The booklet is indeed very accurate, and a good read. I think the art work of the whole set is stunning. The audio and video quality is great. We 've got an old dvd player, where the 2nd dvd didn't work that well, luckily we have a newer one (a lot cheaper by the way) where there were no problems at all. When I heard for the first time the outtakes where he was goofing around, I thought that was great fun, it is even greater fun to see it too now :clap:

Jungleroom76
07-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Why would that be a goof?

O.K., so I am a goof!!! :P

Don't get me wrong Bobby, I am not saying anything negative against the IF I CAN DREAM video!! I think it is a nice addition for sure, and I am glad they took the time to put it together!! I just think that they could have done a little something else to it, to give it more flare or something....I don't know...maybe I'm just being a goof again!! :hmm:

Believe me buddy....I am THRILLED with both these sets, and I thank EPE every day that they finally released these shows the way they were truly meant to be seen!!! :clap:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
07-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the review Mike.

The booklet is indeed very accurate, and a good read. I think the art work of the whole set is stunning. The audio and video quality is great. We 've got an old dvd player, where the 2nd dvd didn't work that well, luckily we have a newer one (a lot cheaper by the way) where there were no problems at all. When I heard for the first time the outtakes where he was goofing around, I thought that was great fun, it is even greater fun to see it too now :clap:

COULDN'T AGREE MORE P.S. ANNIE!!! INDEED THESE OUTTAKES ARE FANTASTIC AND THEY REALLY SHOW WHAT A SENSE OF HUMOR ELVIS HAD!! (y)

TCB!
Mike