PDA

View Full Version : pittsburgh

Lonniebealestreet
11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
http://images.optin.com.au/optusxmas/flash/penguin_tebe.swf?msg=tcb-world%20rocks

That link is totally off-topic but it reminded me of a funny event that took place in the hotel in Pittsburgh when Elvis was there for the much-heralded New Years Eve show. I believe I read this in Jerry Hopkins' Elvis: The Final Years book.

It was very cold and a ton of snow had fallen and everyone was stuck in their rooms going a little stir-crazy. Marty Harrell, the trombonist and sometimes leader of the orchestra was either the guy who did this or the guy who told it. But whoever it was had gone into the snow-covered parking lot and in huge letters, shoveled out the words F--- YOU PAT in the snow, directed at another member of the orchestra. Apparently Elvis watched the whole thing and was on the floor laughing.

He was in such great spirits at that time and it definitely came through in the performances from that short tour at the end of '76 (and the first hour of '77).

Incidentally, the penguin in the link can get a little off-color for you as well, tee hee...:king:

pacer 1966
11-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Iv'e also heard this story before and it's very funny isn't it?

Dovey
11-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Thank you for posting the story and I love the link... great work:cool: Dovey;)

Jungleroom76
11-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I don't believe I have ever heard that story before Bobby... :hmm:

THANKS A MILLION for sharing it though....just one more story to prove that, despite all of the rumors and stories swirling around Elvis during his final few months, that he wasn't this hopelessly depressed recluse like so many people suggested!!

TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
11-06-2006, 02:50 PM
My bad, Mike. I guess back when you took my Elvis class, I forgot to include that anecdote in your lesson. ;)

Jungleroom76
11-06-2006, 03:12 PM
My bad, Mike. I guess back when you took my Elvis class, I forgot to include that anecdote in your lesson. ;)

No problem Prof. Massey!! ;)

TCB!
Mike