PDA

View Full Version : Elvis and musical talent

rocker
07-10-2006, 01:45 PM
I think Elvis had a lot of talent that He did not use, as far as playing the guitar, piano,etc. As comparing him to other rockers, the beatles(who all played instraments), jimi hendrix,and others, how well could elvis play? I've seen the officially released material and it all looks pretty fundemental to me. nothing to difficult. But it seemes to me that he could play most of his songs even though He claimed to only know 3 chords. I don't know if He was joking or not about this comment. TTWII, He played piano for How the web was woven, EIC-Unchained Melody. And I just heard a cd of him doing the intro to Like a Baby. What are your comments on this? What songs:hmm: did E play guitar or piano on official recordings or live? I remember reading Scottie Moore say E only knew a few chords put He had good rhythm.

rocker
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Was Elvis just a good voice and charismatic?

JDD
07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I think Elvis had a lot of talent that He did not use, as far as playing the guitar, piano,etc. As comparing him to other rockers, the beatles(who all played instraments), jimi hendrix,and others, how well could elvis play? I've seen the officially released material and it all looks pretty fundemental to me. nothing to difficult. But it seemes to me that he could play most of his songs even though He claimed to only know 3 chords. I don't know if He was joking or not about this comment. TTWII, He played piano for How the web was woven, EIC-Unchained Melody. And I just heard a cd of him doing the intro to Like a Baby. What are your comments on this? What songs:hmm: did E play guitar or piano on official recordings or live? I remember reading Scottie Moore say E only knew a few chords put He had good rhythm.

Watch the Sitdown portion of the 68 Special, he knew more then three chords. He played a good rhythm guitar on that special, but he never was a lead man but most singers aren't.

Raised on Rock
07-10-2006, 02:19 PM
ELvis main instrument was his voice, and he was as good on that as Hendrix was on guitar, I dont get people saying -well he was just a singer- I mean, yes anybody can carry a tune, but to really sing, that takes as much as to be a master pianist or violinist. Elvis was a singer, that was what he was, and he was the best vocalist of all the rockers born between the years of 1935-1945.

About playing piano, yes, he wasnt Jerry Lee Lewis or Nicky Hopkins or Billy Preston or whoever, but check out to:?Ill HOld you In My Heart TIll I Cant Hold you In My Arms?, lisen to the piano, that is far more than basic stuff.

About guitar, James Burton once said, ?He playied fairy good rythm Guitar, but sometime he susprice you, pick up the electric guitar and he played some blues?. Yes he never played amazing solos, but that wasnt his goal, there was James or Scotty, he play guitar for his singing, he played rythm guitar, and far beyond three chord or not, he had the feeling, he had just had it, some people dont, he had it, thas far beyond talent or practice, it is something you either have it or not, Light Hopkins have it, Johnny Lee Hocker have it, and if you think Elvis dont have it, lisent to the sitdown shows of the 68 tv special, yes you could say, those are simple I IV V songs all in E or A using basic chords, yes well, anybody can carry a tune on the guitar, but I want you to make that sound and feeling that Elvis create alone for his singing with the Electric guitar. Not easy. Not basic.

He played some bass, he played on Baby I Dont Care and he seemed to play alot of bass on the American Sessions just jamming, dont know if there is anything recorded from that. They say he was good at drumms, never hear him yet.

But above all that, one thig is for sure, ELvis could sing. And that is more than just a good sounding voice and carisma. Are Jimi Hendrix talent just large light fingers and being a cool black guy with the blues pedigree?

When Joe Cocker was called by somebody the greatest white blues singer in the world, he just ansewr, NO! ELVIS is the greatest white blues singer in the world.

Joe Car
07-11-2006, 03:42 AM
Was Elvis just a good voice and charismatic?
No, Elvis had a great and unique voice, was unbelievably talented and had charsima by the truckloads. He could also play piano and fine guitar. Check out his guitar playing in the 68 special, Baby Want You want Me To Do, it was awesome.

www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) go to search- type in Presley- Baby what you want me to do. Click it on and watch our guy play some mean guitar.