PDA

View Full Version : Filmed concerts?

peter
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a question. I?ve seen very interesting (and sometimes very retort) discussion on elvisconcerts.com.

I?d like to know, which shows were definately filmed as WHOLE concerts? I?m asking especially about Elvis On Tour movie....

thehillbillycat
05-03-2006, 11:50 AM
According to the book I have Elvis Day By Day that what you see on Elvisconcerts.com, which I think you was looking at the one I listed that I got from Christian. All of that is true.

March 30 1972 - RCA Hollywood studio ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
March 31 1972 - RCA Hollywood studio ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
April 05 1972 - Buffalo N.Y Hotel conference room ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
April 05 1972 (8:30 pm). - Buffalo, NY. ** Filmed using a mobile video camera
April 9 1972 - Hampton, VA. (2 concerts) ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
April 10 1972 (8:30 pm) - Richmond, VA ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
April 13 1972 (8:30 pm). - Charlotte, NC. ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
April 14 1972. (8:30 pm). - Greensboro, NC. ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
April 16 1972. - Jacksonville, FL. (2 concerts) ** + after show filmed with MGM film cameras
April 18 1972. (8:30 pm) - San Antonio, TX. ** Filmed with MGM film cameras
All of these was filmed according to my book. These was filmed by MGM. Now this doesn't mean the whole concert was filmed. This means that MGM filmed some of the concerts. MGM did filmed both Hampton Roads Concerts, Richmond concert, Greensboro Concert and San Antonio Concert, these was completely filmed by MGM. As for the others except for the March 30 and 31 because they were filmed in the studio. I mean the concert during the 15 day tour, some of these were filmed but they weren't completely filmed. MGM was their at Jacksonville, FL because we have the footage after the concert on either This Is Elvis or EOT Outtakes. This footage from Jacksonville is the buried in the beaver footage as it is known today. The Mobile camera footage can be pointed out in the EOT movie. During the dialogue that is before Can't Help Falling In Love and the beginning part of that song was filmed by the mobile camera. Now you might want to know how big is this camera. This used 8mm film and had a tripod that sit up on stage. Their has been rumors that MGM was their during Elvis' four performances at MSG. Well their is a picture from June 9 and you can see a mobile camera right up on stage. Is this the same one that was used during EOT? I don't know but it looks like the same one but other than that I can't say. But MGM was their during the whole time of Elvis' 15 day tour but they didn't film all the time.

I hope this answers in your question.:king: :D

FlamingStar
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info :D

But i can't understand why MGM don't filmed the whole cocerts!

I mean, i have a dvd with two shows 12. August 1970, and it's so bad that some of the footage don't have sound and rought scene cuts!

FlamingStar
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Well, i have a question..

Can someone tell me something about 8mm camera? what's spescial with that?

And why is there so much amateur footage with so many scene cuts? Was it because it was low batterry at the camera, or did they just want to take a break with the filming?

I can't understand why people didn't got a whole show..

Unchained Melody
05-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the list Elvislennon.

Here is a list someone put on another forum that say this following footage exist but it most likley don't but here it is anyway.

The following is a list of professionally filmed footage that during researching the subject, I
have found to exist in the vaults of EPE (from the original collection of Col Tom Parker) or in the
hands of private collectors around the world.

This list has been compiled after years of searching and researching with the TV companies,
Private Collectors and band members who remember TV or film cameras being present. Each
of the listings have been confirmed to exist by at least 4 different sources.

This is not intended to be the ultimate information on this matter but simply a guide to let the
fans know just what else is out there, waiting to be released.

March 05 1955, The Louisiana Hayride TV Show

March 14 1955, The Town & Country Jubilee

March 19 1955, The Grand Prize Saturday Night Jamboree

May 25 1955, The Meridian Mississippi Parade

May 31 1955, The Roy Orbison Show

June ? 1955, Lubbock Fair Park (Colour)

October 20 1955, Cleveland Brooklyn High School (Colour)
(This was filmed by Universal Pictures)

March 26 to 28 1956 - PARAMOUNT STUDIO SCREEN TEST
"The Rainmaker" + "Blue Suede Shoes" (Colour)

April 23 TO May 06 1956 - The New Frontier, Las Vegas
At least one complete show was filmed

May 15 1956 - Ellis Auditorium, Memphis.

July 04 1956 - Russwood Park, Memphis (Colour)

July 12 to 16 1956 - Candid Footage
Filmed in Biloxi, Mississippi (Colour)

September 26 1956 - Tupelo Mississippi Fairground

October 11 to 13 1956 - Candid Footage
Filmed at Eddie Fadals Home (Colour)

November 25 1956 = Louisville, Kentucky
Local Louiseville TV Show

December 15 1956 - Louisiana Hayride
Show and Backstage Footage (Colour and B/W)

December 31 1956 - The Holiday Hop
This was for Dewey Philips TV Show "POP SHOP"

April 01 1957 - Buffalo, NY.
The Memorial Auditorium

April 02 1957 - Toronto, Canada
Local Toronto TV Show

March 28 1957 - Chicago
Police filmed the whole show at the Chicago Amphitheater

September 20 1957 - Memphis, Tennessee
Appeared on WKNO TV to promote driver education

June 20th to 29th 1968 - NBC
At least 6 hours of out-takes from the NBC TV Special

June 24th & 25th 1968 - NBC
Home movie footage of Elvis jamming in his dressing room

January & February 1969 - Memphis
Footage of Elvis recording at the American Studios in Memphis

July 31st 1969 - Las Vegas
Approximately 12 to 15 minutes of this performance was filmed by NBC.
Although it is rumoured that the bootleg release of this show is taken from film footage which
would indicate the whole show was filmed (unconfirmed).

August 5th 1969 - Las Vegas
From my sources, it appears that only 3 to 5 songs were filmed from this show.

February 17th, 18th 1970 - Las Vegas
There were THREE complete concerts filmed over 2 days + one rehearsal

February 27th 1970 - Houston Astrodome
The Opening show was filmed in it's entirety

* Filming for MGM's "That's The Way It Is"
July 14 1970 - MGM stage 1 Culver city (Rehearsal) *
July 29 1970 - MGM stage 1 Culver city (Rehearsal) *
August 4 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel press conference room (Rehearsal) *
August 6/7 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel showroom (Rehearsal) *
August 10 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel showroom (Rehearsal) *
August 10 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel Opening Show + After Show party *
August 11 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 11 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel MS *
August 12 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 12 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel MS *
August 13 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 14 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
August 15 1970 - Las Vegas International hotel DS *
September 9 1970 - Phoenix Veteran memorial coliseum *

August 9th 1971 - Las Vegas
At least 7 performances were filmed during this concert

November 10th 1971 - Boston M.A.
This show was filmed in it's entirety

January 26th 1972 - Las Vegas
2 Cameras filmed Elvis' opening night

** Filming for MGM's "Elvis On Tour"
March 30 1972 - RCA Hollywood studio **
Filmed with MGM film cameras

March 31 1972 - RCA Hollywood studio **

April 05 1972 - Buffalo N.Y Hotel conference room **

April 05 1972 (8:30 pm). - Buffalo, NY. **
Filmed using a mobile video camera

April 9 1972 - Hampton, VA. (2 concerts) **

April 10 1972 (8:30 pm) - Richmond, VA **

April 13 1972 (8:30 pm). - Charlotte, NC. **

April 14 1972. (8:30 pm). - Greensboro, NC. **

April 16 1972. - Jacksonville, FL. (2 concerts) **
+ after show filmed with MGM film cameras

April 18 1972. (8:30 pm) - San Antonio, TX. **

June 09 1972 - Madison Square Garden, NY
There is approximately 40 minutes of professional footage

November 18 1972 - The H.I.C. Arena, Honolulu, Hawaii
At least 4 songs were filmed during this show

January 26 1973 - Las Vegas
A minimum of 7 songs from this concert is on film and in the hands of a collector

May 11 1974 - The Forum, L.A.
The evening show was filmed in it's entirety

March 20 1974 - Midsouth Coliseum, Memphis, Tn
2 cameras filmed this show. Camera 1 caught only the first 8 minutes but Camera 2 captured
an estimated 95% of the entire concert.

May 05 1975 - State Fair Coliseum, Jackson Ms
Local TV filmed backstage and parts of this benefit concert for the victims of the Tornado that
hit Jackson, Mississippi.

July 13 1975 - Convention Center, Niagara Falls, NY.
New York TV cameras filmed at least 4 songs from this show

November 30 1976 - Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, CA
2 mobile video cameras on tripods caught this entire show on film

June 17 1977 - Southwest Mo. State Univ, Springfield, MO
CBS used 2 mobile video cameras for this performance in preparation for the full camera crew.

June 19 1977 - Omaha Civic Center. Omaha, NE.
CBS filmed before, during and after this concert

June 21 1977 - Mount Rushmore, Rapid City, SD.
CBS filmed before, during and after this concert

June 26 1977 - Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, IN.
The CBS camera team filmed Elvis' final concert of this tour on 2 cameras, around 20 minutes
this footage are in the EPE archives and a full copy of the show is in privates hands.

June ?? 1977 - Graceland (unconfirmed)
One collector says that he has footage of Elvis sitting by the pool at Graceland being
interviewed by the CBS team.

I hope that you have enjoyed this list and your mouth is watering at the knowledge that this
footage all exists out there and is just waiting to be released to the fans around the world.
I will continue my hunt for more professional Elvis footage so until then....Adios

elvisdownunder
05-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Good list. i have seen that before, but it is truly mind boggling to see what we might not have seen yet.

BTW, to answer EPnorway's questions

One of the main reasons why concerts might not be complete, is the availability and cost of film, for both 8mm, and professional cameras

05-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Unfortunately their is not much pro footage of Elvis at all. There is no "news crew footage." The footage you are refering to at MSG was filmed by closed circut cameras in the Garden. Not only was the opening night filmed, but so were the other performaces. I know this for a fact, I have watched the footage. As for the TTWII, no there are no "complete" shows. As for On Tour, yes there were "complete" shows filmed, but not complete in the sense that there is no gaps (sound no picture etc). Boston Garden does exist in the same "complete" format, and the footage is extremley dark, and hard to view. The Nov 72' footage does exist.

The footage of the Garden was a rare execption in regards to filming. The CCTV feed was for the VIP booths. Fragments of the fotoage can be seen on the "King Of Entertainment"DVD. It is commonly mistaken as a "news crew", but its not, its CCTV. Very little pro shot footage of EP was ever done, therefore setteling the concept that there must be dozens of shows out there. Simply put, there are not. For the afternoon, and evening shows of the 10th, there was also a floor mounted camera, and one on the left side of the stage. The footage for the floor camera was a fixed tripod about 3rd row, and is commonly mistaken as Bob Heis footage. The camera position was also for the CCTV feed, however, for what ever reason the only footage that has survived was the floor about 21 minutes for the evening, and 24 minutes for the afternnon, and the above arena cam.The footage for the above arena cam that has been loaned to NBC, and other documentries is owned by Good Times video.

R2-D2
05-04-2006, 05:15 AM
As regards 8mm filming, a typical 8mm cartridge of film lasted around 3 minutes which only allowed for brief "highlight" clips to be obtained and longer filming would drain the batteries. There was an extended cartridge available but this was bulkier and more expensive not to mention more draining battery wise.

snowbird
05-04-2006, 05:28 AM
Well, i have to disagree with some people.
A huge amount of Elvis concerts were filmed by tv stations like KNBC or pro crews, maybe not in their entirity, but large parts of them were filmed.
Unfortunately, we may NEVER see them for copyright problems.

FlamingStar
05-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Yeah, it's hard to belive :'(

EnigmaticSun
05-04-2006, 08:17 AM
It's a strange world!

I guess that a lot remains to be found & seen, no matter how (un)professional the recordings may be.

Elvis was the King and a lot of people wanted to see him.

nashville cat
05-04-2006, 08:24 AM
June ?? 1977 - Graceland (unconfirmed)
One collector says that he has footage of Elvis sitting by the pool at Graceland being
interviewed by the CBS team.

I believe any fan who knows anything about Elvis' last years, would know this is completely false. If CBS had footage like this that could have been included in the special, you think they would not have shown this?

05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, i have to disagree with some people.
A huge amount of Elvis concerts were filmed by tv stations like KNBC or pro crews, maybe not in their entirity, but large parts of them were filmed.
Unfortunately, we may NEVER see them for copyright problems.

If they were filmed maybe the holders of the footage could consider the bootleg market? Personally I have never seen any of it, I have heard rumours but have resigned myself to them being just that.

The Colonel was very tight about what was recorded of Elvis.

thehillbillycat
05-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I have something to tell you 0349054
I own four songs that was filmed by a news station. The date is December 15, 1975 CS. I have two friends who owned some footage too. One friend owns Macon April 15, 1972 AS (Complete show), April 15, 1972 ES about 50% to 30% was filmed and also Macon June 1, 1977 (Complete Show). My other friend has the complete show of Atlanta December 30, 1976. Now why wouldn't they want to release these? Maybe it is because they have something that everybody else doesn't that means they could put it on Ebay right now and get a lot of money out of it.

The footage the Peter provided that has a few seconds worth of MSG was recorded by ABC.

All of the footage that I said was complete shows from EOT is complete and I can comfirm this from my sources that I have. Just because you haven't seen this doesn't mean they don't exists. I have seen on the internet bad footage of all the song of Suspicious Minds from Hampton Roads Concert which I don't think is available on any EOT Outtakes. I ahve also seen Never Been To Spain footage but it too is bad footage. So explain this if you will. In my book it clearly states that both Hampton Roads Concerts, Greensboro Concert, Richmond, and San Antonio concert was completely filmed by MGM.

I got Dec. 15, 1975 CS show but it only four shows but do I want to release it to the bootleg market? No, because I have something that no one else has. I might let people see a few seconds of it but that is it.:king:

05-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Whats your book?

I'm merley stating that my sources have informed me that this stuff doesent exist, I hope it does and if you have it as you say then I am glad it does exist. The ABC report from MSG is very small, too small to include in a list, but yes I have seen that as well. I do hope more footage exists.

Is the footage you have filmed from various angles, what is the quality like and sound?

I was basing my belief on there being no paperwork discussing Elvis being filmed outside of the big concerts.;)

Unchained Melody
05-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Good list. i have seen that before, but it is truly mind boggling to see what we might not have seen yet.

BTW, to answer EPnorway's questions

One of the main reasons why concerts might not be complete, is the availability and cost of film, for both 8mm, and professional cameras

I don't think much of that footage exist though Scott from that list, some but not all, I doubt it. I wish it did though
Like the colonel would let tv stations video tape concerts without him getting a cut :lol:

thehillbillycat
05-04-2006, 04:39 PM
The ones my two friends have are great footage. Just think of this. Atlanta Dec. 30, 1976. Footage is great it is in several different angles. Elvis and Band are clear to make out. In the 8mm footage there is a bluish light that covers Elvis throughout the footage. On the one my friend has Elvis is bright and that is because of the spot light. Sometimes on 8mm film when there is a light shines on someone the effect might make it blue. The sound on all of the footage I would comare it to the cd Auld Lang Syne. As you might know that this is the best sounding audience recording for Elvis' 1976 New Years Eve concert. That is how the audio sound on these. The one I got is only one angle. Four songs but I can't remember the songs. I haven't seen the tape in a while.

As for the book, the book I got is call Elvis Day By Day. and it clearly states for the concerts that was filmed by MGM that I am listing right now was completely filmed - Hampton Roads Concerts, Greensboro Concert, Richmond, and San Antonio concert. I forgot one on my pervious list. Jacksonville FL concert was also completely filmed. This was the only time that MGM had a camera in Elvis' car. So a good bit of this was filmed too.

Unchained Melody
05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Elvislennon, is there anyway you could upload a sample of the 12-30-76 footage you have the professional footage?

thehillbillycat
05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
That footage belongs to my friend, I wish I had it. But I seen it. The footage is in three angles. First angle runs for about about a third of the show. The camera is directly in front of Elvis but about 10 rows or so back from the stage. Audio is better than the 8mm footage. Like I said I put it up along with Auld Lang Syne. Secong angle only runs about 10 minutes. The camera is in front of the stage but it is in a angle. The camera is to the right of Elvis but our left when looking at it. The camera is about 20 rows away from the stage but Elvis still can be made out perfect. The other camera angle is the opposite of that one. This angle goes until the end of the show. I will try to get this from my friend and put a few seconds up of each angle but I don't know when that will be. My other friend who has the Macon shows is bad off right now. So I won't be bothering him right now. He was in a auto accident a few weeks ago. He better than what he was when I first learn he was in an accident. But he still has trouble walking. But I will try to get these footage.
Also one more thing, I don't know if any of you know. On June 1, 1977 Elvis signed the contract to do The CBS Special. On the footage that my frined has it shows Elvis signing that contract. My book says he did this in his hotel room, but this footage makes what the book says a lie.

05-05-2006, 07:01 AM
So is it Professional or amateur footage? As for the Hotel Room, was it in macon the footage is from and is it pro?

I have Day By Day, must take a look at it again - I know MGM filmed but they did not film continuously as far as I know for every show - could be wrong, hope they did. Do you have Sessions II?

thehillbillycat
05-05-2006, 04:03 PM
When did your book made? and Who made it?
There is four different Elvis Day By Day books.
The one I got was made last year and it cost me about 40 dollars. This book is kindly thick from the others that is available. This weighs about 4 pounds. That is a heavy book for being a Elvis one. The front cover has four pictures of Elvis on it. Picture on is upper left corner and it the baby picture that is on Elvis Country. Picture two Upper Right corner is from 1956 first Ed Sullivan appearence. Picture three Aloha from Hawaii lower left hand corner (picture the same as yellow video box made by Lightyear, side view of Elvis). Lower right corner is a photo from the CBS special (Looks like Elvis is singing either How Great thou Art or Hurt). Elvis Day by Day is written in White letters and is in the middle of the four pictures. On the back is a reproduction of Elvis' tombstone drawn by a fan. My book tells exactly what concerts was filmed completely. My even tells that there might be some footage of Macon but only a few songs and no complete shows.

All of these footage of Macon are professionally done and they weren't taken by no 8mm cameras. I know about 8mm cameras do to the fact that my father deals in films and has a lot in his collection. There is no film lines that you see in normal 8mm footage. These was either recorded by one of those big tapes that you see in the 70s or 16mm film. didn't see any film lines in it.

EP75
05-05-2006, 06:23 PM
So is it Professional or amateur footage? As for the Hotel Room, was it in macon the footage is from and is it pro?

I have Day By Day, must take a look at it again - I know MGM filmed but they did not film continuously as far as I know for every show - could be wrong, hope they did. Do you have Sessions II?

Elvis-Day By Day i not a great source of information to go by. I have that book too and have found many mislead information in it several different times. The MGM footage info is not accurate either.

rick
05-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Any idea if some of the better 8mm footage will be used in the proposed mega-series on Elvis' life
I hope so!
rick

mozzarella
06-02-2006, 04:22 PM
They (BMG, FTD, whatever) should release the Los Angeles concert from May 11, 1974 complete and remastered on DVD!!! Just imagine! Of course they should make a huge commercial about it worldwide. How big that would be! If we, the fans can do anything for this, we MUST join with each other with a competition or something! Am I crazy?