PDA

View Full Version : attendance

joanne
03-08-2006, 01:12 PM
http://www.elvis-express.com/staying_away.html

Are fans staying away?

KPM
03-09-2006, 01:04 PM
It could be a combination of things, high gas prices over the last year could have a lot to do with it(home heating 30% higher this winter, food prices up do to higher transportation costs etc) But some may be stay away because of the Sillerman deal that sold 85% of Elvis's name to his company. I think many were not happy with it. Also the older fan base is just that- getting older - a road trip is much harder as these people enter their 70s. Probably some are waiting for the big anniversarys like the 25th a few years ago.

nashville cat
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
I am only 200 miles away from Graceland. I don't go to Graceland every year - I have been a couple of times. I've never felt I had to make those pilgrimages to be a real fan. I wonder, how much longer these events will go on? In some ways, the fan base seems as strong as it ever was. At other times, I worry about it diminishing. Graceland has been opened to the public for over 20 years now, and I guess a lot of people have seen it. The key will be rather new generations will take an interest.

A lot of the stars of the fifties seem to be fading from memory. Of course, Elvis is no ordinary entertainer! I just hope that whatever is done in the future will bring about an awareness of Elvis the entertainer, and show people why he is so great, rather than just market Elvis as a trademark.

KidSister
03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Hmmm I don't know about all that. I know some very young Elvis fans. My 9 year old cousin for example. And I most certainly am not 70. And I most certainly agree with you on the gas price problem. Why would people drive halfway across the country when they're having trouble paying for gas to get across town. And the prices of the merchandise is outrageous! :angry: (n) I darn near fell out of my seat when I saw them! That's enough to keep me away. :'(

Joe Car
03-10-2006, 04:12 AM
http://www.elvis-express.com/staying_away.html

Are fans staying away?

There have been years in the past when attendance has been low. Usually his birthday isn't as busy as the anniversary of his death.

joanne
03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
He`s very big in England at the moment what with the number ones etc.
A lot of young people have got into Elvis with the remixes of A Little Less Conversation and Rubberneckin.
The fan club are running 4 trips to Memphis this year so the demand is definitely there.
I think the reason some may have stayed away in January is because they are holding out for August 2007.

P.S. Annie
03-12-2006, 02:46 AM
I think people are also saving up for the 30th anniversary of his death.