PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Throwing Guitars

nabelt24
02-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know or have any info on when Elvis started throwing his guitars to Charlie??? What inspired him to start doing this? I love it and think it's great! Just wanted to know.

Danny Ocean
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
He does that in the Alternate Aloha also. Good God I love to see that piece! He throws it, then makes a fist in the air and then he takes his microphone. So quick, but a very powerfull moment!

Leroy
02-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Danny Ocean is right about that. It's quite possible that it became a part of the routine after the Rehearsal Show. It didn't occur in the Satellite Show.
By the way, on the picture you've posted he's just doing the same as in On Tour and the Aloha Satellite show.

nabelt24
02-04-2006, 04:47 PM
By the way, on the picture you've posted he's just doing the same as in On Tour and the Aloha Satellite show.

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure? Are there any good photos of Elvis throwing his guitar to Charlie?

Leroy
02-05-2006, 01:15 AM
There is one from 1977 but I have to search my database for it. As soon I as found it I will post it. I also saw footage once with Elvis trowing guitars during several performances. I wonder if it ever went wrong. Normally if you trow something to someone you look in his direction but not Elvis. He just trew it backwards without looking.

nabelt24
02-05-2006, 02:31 AM
That's what so cool about it!!! It seems he always threw it behind him without looking!?! Makes you wonder if they practiced that? There had to have been a time when either Elvis or Charlie screwed up and busted a guitar??? Maybe not?

Leroy
02-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Not that I know of. At least not during these manouvres. I do know that some of Elvis guitars got damaged. There is a story about Elvis' "1969 Ebony Gibson Custom Dove". During his performance in Little Rock, Arkansas on April 17th, 1972 this guitar is said to be fell on stage after the strap broke. Then Elvis kicked it off the stage and it was badly damaged (according to the guitar site of Scotty Moore) and was repaired just in time for the June tour. Strange thing however is that the next day on April 18th he just used the same guitar so I don't believe this story has any solid ground.

Danny Ocean
02-05-2006, 06:02 AM
As far as I know Elvis never damaged a guitar on stage. He never looked back, it's awesome to see. Charlie never missed catching a guitar. He said that many times and even on the special 'The Elvis I knew'. I just love to see it. But there's a rumor that Elvis threw a guitar of him in the audience, or he gave it away to a fan on stage. Maybe someone has more information about that?

ELV1S
02-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Yeh Danny Ocean is correct, I have a bootleg CD of an Elvis show from the excellent July 23rd 1975 show in Asheville
He gave away his guitar and some rings to fans in the front row, one of the best concerts ever, i think the cds called Gyrating Asheville, look out for it...(y)

Sonny
02-05-2006, 06:50 AM
Here's another flying guitar, taken in Fort Wayne, 1976

elvisdownunder
02-06-2006, 01:08 AM
what a cool shot! thanks for sharing

there is a good one from Indy 77, i might look for it

nabelt24
02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Elvis tossing his guitar into audience at the Springfield Civic Center, July 15, 1975.
(photo from the Scotty Moore website)

Jouni

There's a story that goes with this pic that can be found at the following link... http://www.scottymoore.net/ep68J200.html

It's a great story with a picture of the couple that caught the guitar!

Leroy
02-06-2006, 08:46 PM
what a cool shot! thanks for sharing

there is a good one from Indy 77, i might look for it

You are probably refering to Philadelphia.
It might be this one??

Stefan Kock
02-08-2006, 01:27 PM
On top of my head, didn't charlie miss the guitar in Memphis on June 10th 1975? I haven't listened to that show for quite a while (boot cd "Let Me Take You Home by DAE), but rember hearing Elvis talking about it.

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Elvis tossing his guitar into audience at the Springfield Civic Center, July 15, 1975.
(photo from the Scotty Moore website)

Jouni

A real shame he gave this guitar away it is one of my personal favourites.

Matt

Captain Elwood David
02-14-2006, 04:38 AM
There is some EXCELLENT concert footage of EP - including many guitar tosses - to be found in Charlie Hodge's video. Highly recommended for the footage. Some of the coolest footage, in fantastic quality (as far as these things go), that I've ever seen.

Hodge discusses, at length, how the guitar tosses started (btw, ....... I think Hodge did miss once and evidence can be heard on a Memphis concert audio with E making a comment about Hodge missing it for the first time - if my memory serves me correctly).

Cappy

PS - Beware of lots of MYTH discussion with Hodge's video, though.

Stefan Kock
02-14-2006, 02:25 PM
On top of my head, didn't charlie miss the guitar in Memphis on June 10th 1975? I haven't listened to that show for quite a while (boot cd "Let Me Take You Home by DAE), but rember hearing Elvis talking about it.

(btw, ....... I think Hodge did miss once and evidence can be heard on a Memphis concert audio with E making a comment about Hodge missing it for the first time - if my memory serves me correctly).

Thanks for confirming my post above !

Leroy
02-14-2006, 03:45 PM
PS - Beware of lots of MYTH discussion with Hodge's video, though.

That happens a lot with people of Elvis' so called inner circle. Eventualy they all fall back on stories people want to hear over and over again rather that the plain truth.

Captain Elwood David
02-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Stefan & Leroy -

In Hodge's video, I believe he states that he never missed a toss.

Not a big deal, but definitely case-in-point evidence that the memory of even those who were there (like our own) can fade / change with time ............. or simply just be mistaken (for a number of reasons).

Cappy

Maikcool
10-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Please, check this out:

http://www.scottymoore.net/ep68J200.html

I know, that link already was put up here, but do you believe in this story? :

Michael J. Schwartz (he was at the show in Springfield Civic Center - July 15, 1975) :
Elvis was not upset over a broken string. A man about 6 rows over from us was heckling Elvis all night. He said something very very obnoxious that finally set Elvis off. I usually do not quote obnoxious stuff, but I want to set the record straight. The man after screaming at Elvis finally yelled, “Elvis, my wife would have been here to go to the concert but she had to take a sh** instead”.
Elvis then turned around and whipped the guitar at him. The guitar hit the metal bar and bounced over my head (I was in Row A and the bar was right in front of me). It was then grabbed by the 2 people sitting right behind me. The neck was cracked, but looked repairable. The scowl that Elvis gave to the guy who was heckling him was something I will never forget!! I can tell you that Elvis really threw that guitar hard because it literally bounced over my head. The guy who was heckling Elvis was really really obnoxious. You could see Elvis scowl at him after he through the guitar. I thought he was going to come into the stands and hit him. You just don’t forget things like that!!!
Elvis then said, “ I hope nobody was hurt”. This is the true story. I don’t have my ticket stub. I don’t know if Peter still has his. We never thought to keep those things. I’m sure Peter could collaborate the entire story. Like I say I was sitting on the rail and the guitar hit the rail and bounced over my head. The woman who got the guitar was directly behind me.

Do you think Elvis realy whipped the guitar at that man?

Tony Trout
10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
There is one from 1977 but I have to search my database for it. As soon I as found it I will post it. I also saw footage once with Elvis trowing guitars during several performances. I wonder if it ever went wrong. Normally if you trow something to someone you look in his direction but not Elvis. He just trew it backwards without looking.

That's what so cool about it!!! It seems he always threw it behind him without looking!?! Makes you wonder if they practiced that? There had to have been a time when either Elvis or Charlie screwed up and busted a guitar??? Maybe not?

I think there is one instance where Charlie did miss the toss...not sure if it's on CD, though.....

Please, check this out:

http://www.scottymoore.net/ep68J200.html

I know, that link already was put up here, but do you believe in this story? :

Michael J. Schwartz (he was at the show in Springfield Civic Center - July 15, 1975) :
Elvis was not upset over a broken string. A man about 6 rows over from us was heckling Elvis all night. He said something very very obnoxious that finally set Elvis off. I usually do not quote obnoxious stuff, but I want to set the record straight. The man after screaming at Elvis finally yelled, “Elvis, my wife would have been here to go to the concert but she had to take a sh** instead”.
Elvis then turned around and whipped the guitar at him. The guitar hit the metal bar and bounced over my head (I was in Row A and the bar was right in front of me). It was then grabbed by the 2 people sitting right behind me. The neck was cracked, but looked repairable. The scowl that Elvis gave to the guy who was heckling him was something I will never forget!! I can tell you that Elvis really threw that guitar hard because it literally bounced over my head. The guy who was heckling Elvis was really really obnoxious. You could see Elvis scowl at him after he through the guitar. I thought he was going to come into the stands and hit him. You just don’t forget things like that!!!
Elvis then said, “ I hope nobody was hurt”. This is the true story. I don’t have my ticket stub. I don’t know if Peter still has his. We never thought to keep those things. I’m sure Peter could collaborate the entire story. Like I say I was sitting on the rail and the guitar hit the rail and bounced over my head. The woman who got the guitar was directly behind me.

Do you think Elvis realy whipped the guitar at that man?

Being 1975 and knowing Elvis's state of mind during that June/July 1975 tour? It wouldn't surprise me if he did toss the guitar at the fan.

Elton
10-11-2008, 03:10 AM
One of the questions i got to ask Charlie was this very topic..You ever miss?
...He flat out said no!!....close a couple of times,but No.
...for what its worth!