PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Please Explain This

THENATUREBOY
11-25-2005, 11:47 PM
I have saw on here more than once, people talking about how bad the Aloha special was, and how there were signs of Elvis' decline, etc.

I have watched the Aloha concert many, many times over, and with many different people. I think the concert is fantastic and havent ever heard anyone say anything bad about it except on here. Maybe we arent watching the same concert, maybe these people know about one that I dont.

But my question is where and how do you see anything wrong with the concert?

boogie
11-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Never saw something wrong ...never said it's a bad concert...
E is very controlled about himself...just focused to do that "perfect" show..
It stays a milestone in his career and in music history...(y)

Maybe he is a litlle bit "static" but that's just one minimal point..;)

Leroy
11-26-2005, 01:40 AM
There are a lot of people who think about themselves as experts and just trow a couple of remarks that makes no sense at all. What's important is how you see it. If you're watching the Special and enjoy it then what else is important.
My personal vieuw is that although many performers could wish they were able to put on such a perfromance it was below Elvis' standards. It has nothing to do with his health but pure because of personal cistumstances.
If you look closely you can see there's no spark in his eyes. No wonder because only a week before he filed for divorce (on his birthday). Besides that he was as nervous as hell. The thought of being watched by three quarters of the world urged him to do things as perfect as could be. Therefore he played it save and concentrated only on his singing. That means that one of his trademarks, his movements, were made less important.
From a singer's point of of view it was the perfect show.

orwell1976
11-26-2005, 08:26 AM
The problem is, that we have big collections and can compare a lot of concerts. The "Aloha" special wasn't bad, Elvis didn't look out of shape and he did sing very well. But if you compare his performance with the ones you can see in the movies "That's The Way It Is" or "Elvis On Tour" you can clearly see, that some of the power and the joy of performing was missing. It almost seems that Elvis is going through the motions (wich doesn't mean he seemed bored or something). But I can't blame Elvis for doing so. When he made the concert movies he knew that many shows where filmed and if he made a mistake he could make up for that during another show. But the "Aloha" show was beamed live to a big audience and everything could be seen close-up. And you're surely not very much at ease when you know that you're writing television history and a billion (!) people can see every drop of sweat. It's not fair, I know. If you would film me in the office for many years, you could judge me in the same way. You could always say that I acted more clever on this day, that I was funnier on that day and looked not so punchy half a year ago. I guess it's a natural thing that you get picky, when you have a lot to choose from.

:hmm:

Tommy
11-26-2005, 08:36 AM
There are a lot of people who think about themselves as experts and just trow a couple of remarks that makes no sense at all. What's important is how you see it. If you're watching the Special and enjoy it then what else is important.
My personal vieuw is that although many performers could wish they were able to put on such a perfromance it was below Elvis' standards. It has nothing to do with his health but pure because of personal cistumstances.
If you look closely you can see there's no spark in his eyes. No wonder because only a week before he filed for divorce (on his birthday). Besides that he was as nervous as hell. The thought of being watched by three quarters of the world urged him to do things as perfect as could be. Therefore he played it save and concentrated only on his singing. That means that one of his trademarks, his movements, were made less important.
From a singer's point of of view it was the perfect show.

I agree with Leroy.

Tommy :)

the colonel
11-26-2005, 08:51 AM
I think for many fans who seen E.P. IN PERSON, Know that something was missing at this show, I can clearly see that ELVIS was trying his best, especially under that pressure, and yes some of that spark was gone, He was now clearly going through the motions, just look at the REHERSAL, He's not only relaxed but actually tring to enjoy himself{BIG HUNK..] Nerves play a part, no doubt but so does interest and sobriety, no pills , means all the energy had to cime from ELVIS within. He was a great actor, especially when he was crooning, I would even go as far as to say he lost the desire as early as the spring 72 shows, believe me i seen E.P. over 18 times, the best show was ANAHEIM,CA APRIL/24 73[NO DOUBT THE BEST SHOW EVER], LEN LEECH had he bin here today would agree wth me.

ayda
11-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I have seing the aloha show so many times that I lost count.I see nothing wrong with the show.He looked like a dream when he walked on stage.Soooo good looking!The songs chosen were great.My especial"fever"Uhh he sends a chill down my spine when I see him singing that song.It was a great concert.:cool:

Alyda(y)

michu
11-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I have saw on here more than once, people talking about how bad the Aloha special was, and how there were signs of Elvis' decline, etc.

I have watched the Aloha concert many, many times over, and with many different people. I think the concert is fantastic and havent ever heard anyone say anything bad about it except on here. Maybe we arent watching the same concert, maybe these people know about one that I dont.

Without a doubt it was a FANTASTIC SHOW!!! Altough I miss spontaneous. Elvis was a little too clean...less wild then usually. That is my impression only:)

Danny Ocean
11-26-2005, 03:35 PM
If you look to his arrival you can see he's enjoying it all. And also at the rehearsal concert...But you know, MY opinion..If you are just divorce, lost your little daughter..and then sing almost for the whole world and sing songs that have the same style like what happend in his private life..I'm sorry, but how can you keep your head with it? I would be as nervous hell. I think in the real aloha, he was very nervous, but the more he sang, the more he relaxed. Big hunk of love, Fever..I think there's nobody wrong with the Aloha Special. If you see the conference where he's sitting in a chair and talks about the special..only talking about it maked him nervous..It was a big step for him..(maybe to big at that time)

geordie
11-26-2005, 05:38 PM
elvis knew he was singing in front of the biggest audience in history. of course he was nervous as hell, so of course he played safe, who would try something new in those circumstances.his voice was GREAT, he looked great,who in there right mind would critisize this show:cursing:

Wendy56
11-26-2005, 10:35 PM
That was an excellent show! :D And Elvis was so handsome with his skin color. :blush: For me, there's nothing wrong in that superb concert. :notworthy

THENATUREBOY
11-26-2005, 10:47 PM
I think the magnitude of the show definitely changed EP's whole approach and mannerisms. I agree with almost all of everybody's responses. I dont agree with the comment that EP didnt have that spark in his eye. After the first few songs he nerves start settling and you can see the happy, playful EP, handing out scarves, kissing the ladies, shaking hands, etc.

In no way am I saying this is true, but I heard once that the reason EP didnt show many movements was because he was stoned and the drugs didnt wear off until toward the last bit of the concert. I cant rememer where or who said it though. What do you all think about this?

Albert
11-27-2005, 06:22 AM

It's simple: people (non-Elvis fans) that are watching the Aloha see a performer on top of the world, looking like Superman, bigger than life.

But for us, the fans, we can easily compare the ALoha with -for example- TTWII. Than it's quite clear to see that -although Elvis is still fantastic on The Aloha- there is something missing with the ALoha. The joy and the fun that was so visible during TTWII is missing on The Aloha.

Perhaps it's also because it was a peak and milestone, and that we -the Elvisfans- know that things were starting to go downhill from here on?

8mmlowa
11-27-2005, 09:16 AM
elvis was in a corsett...he couldnt move....because they told him to be careful because of the transitions they want to make....he was nerious and not really free... but a decline is a stupid statement !
i understand when the yellowpress talks this way but i don´t understand if "educated" elvisfans talk that way!

he know the world is watching AND he knows that he will be recorded.