PDA

View Full Version : '69-'71 Setlist

nabelt24
11-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I've always wondered how Elvis decided on his setlist for his concerts in August of 1969 and on. He had some very cool, but interesting choices. Songs that were just his favorites I guess, but ones he had never recorded previously...

Release Me
Sweet Caroline
My Babe
Words
I Can't Stop Loving You
Runaway
Let It Be Me
Yesterday
Johnny B. Goode
Proud Mary
Polk Salad Annie...and how/when did he decide on using "See See Rider" as an opener???

elvisdownunder
11-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Elvis first used 'see see rider' as the opening song on january 26, 1972, the beginning of a Las Vegas engagement. it was performed after 'also sprach zarathrusta', the theme from 2001: a space odessy. hope that helps(y)

nabelt24
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Elvisdownunder! It does help. But, I still wonder what made him choose that instead of one of his classics to open with? And how did they decide to use Also Sprach Zarathustra??? I heard that it was Joe Gurcios idea. (did I spell that right?)

elvisdownunder
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
according to careless love: the unmaking of EP, Joe Guercios wife saw the movie 2001, and said the theme ASZ, reminded her of EP. Joe agreed, and they approached Elvis with it, and he loved the idea. he wanted to be a god, and with that theme, he was

hope that helps my friend. how is your documentary going BTW?

snowbird
11-04-2005, 03:59 AM
The choice of songs for the concerts have always been a mystery to me, especially for 69.
Why YESTERDAY, RUNAWAY, FUNNY HOW TIME SLEEPS AWAY, and not LAWDY MISS CLAWDY, ONE NIGHT, POWER OF MY LOVE, A BIG HUNK O'LOVE and so many of his own great songs ?

orwell1976
11-04-2005, 05:17 AM
I guess he wanted to show his audience, that he had kept in touch with the modern music. And therefore he performed songs from The Beatles, Neil Diamond or the Bee Gees.

:king:

nabelt24
11-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I wish that he had made studio recordings of these songs. It would have been cool to hear. Especially "My Babe" and "Polk Salad"...