PDA

View Full Version : Elvis By The Presleys

Memphisgurl
11-03-2005, 06:20 AM
i absolutely LOVE this documentary! it was so amazing to have the family tell all elvis fans, what he was like, you know, but i think that they left so much out, partially because they dont want people to know EVERYTHING! and i understand,but what do u all think? good documentary, bad doctumentary?

Joe Car
11-03-2005, 06:40 AM
It was certainly very well done and yes they did leave a lot out, Priscilla said as much in an interview I seen on TV. They will I'm sure have a second edition coming out in a couple of years, no doubt.

11-03-2005, 06:57 AM
Yeah and they may want to consider interviewing some of his friends and his first cousin Billy Smith. Lisa and Patsy were the only Presley's, the rest was Priscillas tribe.

joanne
11-03-2005, 08:40 AM
It was too one-sided in my opinion. It was more about Priscilla than Elvis.

EnigmaticSun
11-03-2005, 10:28 AM
I actually think you're right, Joanna.

Sometimes Priscilla gives me a strange feeling. It's like eating a spoonful of Drano, sure it'll clean you out, but it'll leave you hollow inside.

karlos
11-04-2005, 08:44 AM
this is truly a good dvd told by his family and friends -
there should be morevdvds like this for the general public to watch and learn about Elvis . :cool:

Memphisgurl
11-04-2005, 11:00 AM
i agree that it seems, that it is mostly about priscella, but i think the amount of info that is shared is wonderful

joanne
11-04-2005, 11:03 AM
There wasn`t anything new revealed in that dvd that people didn`t already know about Elvis. It was just another money making venture and the Beaulieus are cashing in.

Memphisgurl
11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
good point

THENATUREBOY
11-07-2005, 02:18 PM
I havent watched it, mainly due to the fact that most things done by Cilla are usually one sided and are more about her.

To those who have watched it, I was wondering is it worth buying or not?

Cryogenic
11-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Watching "Elvis by the Presleys" is a bit like being David at the end of Spielberg's "A.I." - you enjoy the warm and fuzzy feelings even though you know that what's brought them on is artificial.

Is it a good documentary? No. Is it a clever programme? Yes.

"Elvis by the Presleys" is an exceptionally clever and exciting use of montage/editing that, I think, does indeed bring you one step closer to Elvis - but it's also heavily distorted, selectively packaged and carefully polished. We're only ever seeing and hearing what Priscilla wants us to see and hear. She has interesting and exciting things to share - but she also has her own agenda. As long as you keep that in mind, I think this production can be enjoyed on a number of levels.

Just my two cents, folks.

ayda
11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
i absolutely LOVE this documentary! it was so amazing to have the family tell all elvis fans, what he was like, you know, but i think that they left so much out, partially because they dont want people to know EVERYTHING! and i understand,but what do u all think? good documentary, bad doctumentary?

Adriana

Where did you get Elvis,by the Presleys?I can't find the DVD.I got the Cd,but I had no luck finding the DVD:(I will buy it for the pictures and to see Elvis.I pay no atention to what people say about Elvis anymore:)I guess I never did.

Thank you

Aly-

11-08-2005, 04:32 AM
It should be in your local music store, if not, www.amazon.com

Memphisgurl
11-08-2005, 06:00 AM
i got mine at a music store in my local mall, you can find it at any music store, if not check online

orwell1976
11-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I think the whole "Elvis by the Presleys" series is a very well produced product line. The documentary is good and interesting, although sometimes I got the impression that Priscilla and Lisa - Marie are reading from a script (their conversations don't come over that spontanious) and Priscilla starts to look some kind of artificial (one more facelift and she will look younger than Lisa). But it's a very good and interesting dvd, that is nice to watch.

Jumpsuit Junkie
11-08-2005, 07:44 AM
It is worth buying Elvis by the Presley's for the unseen footage that is contained within, as for Priscilla and Lisa you get the feeling that they will say anything to sell their product! There is enough to keep the Old fans happy, enought to maybe gain some new fans and enough titbits to keep the hacks happy.

For me it's the personal Items that you can see in the book Elvis by the Presley's that I like, the footage in the DVD is great, I just don't like the fact that Priscilla is sitting at the dinner table at Graceland like it's the good old days for the camera's at Christmas time.

Anyway if Elvis was alive he would almost certainly never have allowed this sort of invaision of privacy just to get a few bucks, I personally think that Priscilla and Lisa want the attention for themselves piggybacking off Elvis' fame for their own personal greed and stardom.

There, glad I got that off my chest :lmfao:

joanne
11-08-2005, 08:47 AM
To be quite honest I only bought it for the karate footage of Elvis from 1974 and I was very let down as it wasn`t on very long. That was a con just to get you to buy the dvd.

Kapu
11-08-2005, 09:42 AM
While it should've been called "Elvis By The Beaulieus" and only provides the "Priscillacised" version of the story, for a new fan like me who still doesn't know much about Elvis, it was a very interesting show. Still, seeing it once on tv was enough, I wouldn't buy the DVD.

Dovey
11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
To be quite honest I only bought it for the karate footage of Elvis from 1974 and I was very let down as it wasn`t on very long. That was a con just to get you to buy the dvd.

I agree with you 100% ... and I was one of the ones that bought the dvd. The truth is it was mostly about "cilla" Not her love for Evis or anything wonderful about what kind of person he was a what a fantastic singer he was.. Kind of sad when you think about it!! Sometimes I feel like such a sucker.. ha ha

Dovey

joanne
11-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Meanwhile Priscillas laughing all the way to the bank.

Dovey
11-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Meanwhile Priscillas laughing all the way to the bank.

You sure got that right!!!!!!!!!!!! Dovey

joanne
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
She should have disclosed her affairs if she intends to point the finger about Elvis and other women as she did in the dvd.
She talked about letters in the mailbox etc while sat with her sister yet when she recounts the time she left Elvis and he asked her "are you leaving me for someone else"? it cuts into Elvis singing and never goes back to the question, how conveniant.
Wheres the dance instructor and the karate instructor and there were probably more that we don`t know about.
She has always said that she had an affair with her dance instructor about the time of Elvis`s comeback special in June 1968 (Lisa was just 4 months old) but that she ended it because she could get more out of her relationship with Elvis, well why did she start it then?
Then she leads us to believe that she didn`t start her affair with Mike Stone until 1971 when she started having karate lessons, well I for one don`t buy it.
I don`t believe she waited 3 years to start her next affair.
By all accounts she met Mike Stone in Hawaii in 1968 (there was an instant attraction even though they were both married) and the affair started soon after and thats probably why the first affair ended.
Then the karate lessons in 71 were just a more conveniant way of seeing more of each other.
If that is true and its been recorded as being so then she cheated on Elvis through practically all the marriage so what right has she to point the finger.