PDA

View Full Version : CBS-TV Special - "And Now The End Is Near..."

NEA
10-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I just managed to get hold of a DVD-r copy of the CBS-TV Special "Elvis In Concert" (1977), and it was the first time I viewed the show in about 22 years.

Yes, I was very much impressed with the sound of Elvis' voice and the overall team effort of the TCB Band and the musical sound of the show. But, things simply just weren't right were they?

Elvis was most definitely a dying man on that last tour. Charlie Hodge is assisting his friend a little more than usual - Elvis has hardly got the energy to walk let alone dance on stage. It is quite obvious that his health problems combined with the prescription drug addiction are fighting against each other.

The Rapid City footage appears to outshine the Omaha footage especially after viewing more samples of both shows on the DVD-r. Can we, as fans, blame EPE for not wanting to publicly acknowledge "Elvis In Concert"?

It is a TV Special that should have never taken place - Elvis should have been strictly advised to take some time out to rest and get well. There appears to be an abundance of 'Yes Men' on the scene at that point - was it really wrong of the Wests to speak their bitter minds in that book about what was happening to Elvis?

Just to think guys, it was nine years earlier that Elvis made his '68 Comeback and just a little over four years earlier that he had made the 'Aloha From Hawaii' show - it's as though these triumphs were decades apart.

Any thoughts?

NEA.

carolynlm
10-26-2005, 11:32 PM
You are right, the concerts should never have taken place, but I think they are an integral part of the history now, and EPE should realise that fans will take the good with the bad.
Elvis was not a well man, by any means, but I think it had got to the point where he could be just shown a stage and he was on automatic pilot.
I think Elvis was still under the impression that he was OK, and maybe, he was 'pushed' (by himself, not by anyone else) into doing the concerts to prove to the West's that he wasn't as bad as they were going to make out.
I enjoy watching these concerts, Elvis is very nervous about facing the cameras again, that much is evident, but if you talk to people that saw him during this time, without any camera present, he was doing OK......the make up they have on him is not at all flattering either, and don't forget, camera's add 10 lbs, isn't that what they say? He was Elvis and that's all that matters.....

karlos
10-27-2005, 04:51 AM
YOU are right in evryway - Elvis did the Aloha shows four yrs before the CBS 77 TV special.

This is the way it was like when Elvis did shows. he was fit in his p[rime and came back to live Tv in 1968 , he did his Vegas comeback in 1969 and in 197OS he played Vegas for many years . ( 1970-76).

however the last tv show should have not been shown by rule but i guess that the fanclub in usa and C. parker wanted the show to go on and show fans what Elvis was upto at that period of time -
:cool:
this was a sad time in Elvis career without being with cilla and LISA AT HOME.-
LONG MAY HE REIGN -
HE LIVES 4 EVER - - :king: :cool:

EnigmaticSun
10-27-2005, 05:59 AM
I simply do not care for Elvis' physical appearance. He's a musician, so the sound matters most.

I like Elvis' voice in '77. He was nearing his vocal peak and although these aren't the most 'physically energetic' shows that Elvis ever gave, the voice is strong! He did not sound so rough & raw like he did in '68, for example. But it was very suitable for some genres other than rock.

That's Allright Mama from '68 was a lot rougher than the one from '77, although I do like them both.

But I can't imagine Elvis in '68 singing a song such as My Way, Hurt or How Great Thou Art the same way he did it in '77. And the operatic abilities and dramatic talent were on their peak close before his death.

I like to accept Elvis' vulnerability and to cherisch the positive sides of his character, which were rather plentiful.

It (the CBS concerts) should be released.

It is also beautiful and touching to see Elvis talk to the Indian girl before the concert on the day of the Summer Solstice of Elvis' last year.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I agree, his voice was strong on many songs here and it's a shame he didn't live longer to see how his voice would have developed and the songs he would have chosen. This is a good concert to listen to but I find it hard to watch not because of the extra weight but because of the fact that his pain level and discomfort must have been pretty unbearable (even when medicated) at this point. I see him trying to please the fans and give them a good show and breaks my heart knowing what was going on inside him and in his life. He was a good man and a gift from God and it is obscene the way he was used and abused. (I know he had a hand in some of it, but for the most part, taken as a whole, he was misguided and used excessively by all those around him). Anyway, I'm ranting, it's sad to watch but truly amazing to listen to.

Tommy
10-28-2005, 10:01 AM
:)
I agree, his voice was strong on many songs here and it's a shame he didn't live longer to see how his voice would have developed and the songs he would have chosen. This is a good concert to listen to but I find it hard to watch not because of the extra weight but because of the fact that his pain level and discomfort must have been pretty unbearable (even when medicated) at this point. I see him trying to please the fans and give them a good show and breaks my heart knowing what was going on inside him and in his life. He was a good man and a gift from God and it is obscene the way he was used and abused. (I know he had a hand in some of it, but for the most part, taken as a whole, he was misguided and used excessively by all those around him). Anyway, I'm ranting, it's sad to watch but truly amazing to listen to.

Menwithbrokenhearts,

I agree, heart wrenching to watch but his voice was amazing!

Tommy :)

NEA
10-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Thank You, Menwithbrokenhearts.

EnigmaticSun
10-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Thank you very much, Menwithbrokenhearts!

It is indeed with sadness that I see Elvis suffer, but with joy that I listen to his voice.

Deke Rivers
10-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I love Elvis from all eras but NOTHING can top Elvis LIVE in 1968......IMHO except maybe Elvis LIVE in 1956.

goodniteliz
10-28-2005, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=EnigmaticSun]I simply do not care for Elvis' physical appearance. He's a musician, so the sound matters most.

I agree with you about it's not the appearance that matters... yes, so Elvis had gained some weight, he looked a little bit older, but one needs only to look at the expression on his face while playing "Unchained Melody" to know that it didn't matter to him how he looked... he was there to entertain.... and especially during that song, he was enjoying himself. A lot of people seem to forget that Elvis was only human.... he went through hard times just like the rest of us... the difference is that WE don't have people constantly criticizing everything WE do... Elvis did.

10-30-2005, 04:52 AM
I would like to see them released, but the media frenzy and tabloid reporting of his appearence if they released it would be horrific. Personally - if your a fan and you want it, you can get it so I don't see a real need to release it as the amount of negative covergage would be quite high.

Besides Elvis only looked like that for a short period of time, no point in playing up to the stereotype. If that comes out we might have an Elvis Impersonators tribute DVD - my skin crawls at the thought!

EnigmaticSun
10-31-2005, 07:32 AM
It may be true that the love for music doesn't add up to a hill of beans in
this crazy world, but this our hill, and these are our beans!

I know this may seem silly to you, but my opinion is that it would be perfectly sane and possible to release a revamped Elvis In Concert for the commercial market.

I know that when the going gets tough, the tough get going and although sometimes the brakes may seem to be beating the boys, I do think that Elvis was giving his all, and more!

It's just the fact that he takes the time to catch some breath during the band intro's and I agree that he had more physical power earlier on.

However, there's plenty to enjoy from Elvis In Concert. What about songs like My Way, Hurt, How Great Thou Art and Unchained Melody? These songs are unique and they are among the best performances of his entire career.

It is not even fair to say that he rushed trough all the oldies, because songs like That's Allright Mama and Trying To Get To You sounded just fine, anyway.

There is this incredible pathos - the big opera voice of the later years, that's the one that really hurts me!

It is my estimation that the two concerts from Omaha and Rapid City contain enough interesting material for a commercial release of an hour or even slightly more. A release with all the details from the filmed material for the CBS special could be an option for FTD to consider, IMHO.

10-31-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm not doubting Elvis' ability to perform during EIC, but it would have a severe negative effect on his image and marketability. Financially what EPE would gain from its sales they would lose in advertising and licensing.

But on the bright side fans can get copies of it very easily, although the quality does vary. I would be open for it to be released on something like the FTD label - although that is very very unlikely. But a release that allowed the fans to get a re-edited edition with the bonus material on a label that would prevent it being available anywhere but through Graceland, not even Amazon etc.. is something I would be in favour of.

EnigmaticSun
10-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Is it really true that EPE would be losing profit if they release a revamped EIC?

I just don't know. There was CBS material in 'This Is Elvis' and that one turned out to be just fine.

It's just that.. Elvis happens to be so wonderful ..

10-31-2005, 10:53 AM
We think so. But show EIC to people and they will talk about Drug Abuse, Junk Food and being a shadow of his former self.

I never liked This is Elvis. Wasnt good enough. They havent done anything good on Elvis yet and Cash is barely dead with this film from Phoenix which looks like it will be good.

EnigmaticSun
10-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Well, if we keep on saying how bad this will turn out to be, we will just be going round in circles.

mozzarella
11-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Elvis In Concert should have been done in July 1975 or April 1976. Anyone agree?

NEA
11-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Well Mozzarella,

It certainly should have been filmed in another time and possibly another place. Elvis definitely needed lots of rest and recuperation from the start of 1977 - he certainly didn't get it.

NEA.

elvisdownunder
11-02-2005, 09:39 PM
the special should've been shot in december 76, we would've had a t.v special to be proud of!:notworthy

i really do wish Elvis did polk salad for the rapid city show, if it had've sounded as good as the one on spring tours, he would've rocked!(y)

EnigmaticSun
11-03-2005, 04:20 AM
I just wish we would stop with all the should-haves and accept reality as it is.

Of course, I also would have loved to see a TV Special of the December tour of 1976.

If this policy were consequent, there should not have been a release of either EOT or Aloha because he was already showing some signs of failing health by then.

Just like in Aloha, the CBS special contains a musically ripe and mature Elvis who has got a fine voice, although (just) some (!) rock songs are physically demanding for him.

I also mention Paradise Hawaiian Style because he looked a bit overweight and bloated..?? I hope you do understand the irony, because the CBS-shows are musically mature and entertaining and why should a movie like so many others be released, but not the King's Swan Song? :blink:

Somehow I get the impression that this thread is being composed by people who are married to Priscilla. I hope that I am definitely wrong with this statement, though..!

11-03-2005, 06:59 AM
I certainly aint married to her!

joanne
11-03-2005, 08:45 AM
She`d have to change her name to marry you and she wouldn`t do that! :D

the colonel
11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
i can tell you , back in 2000 when the tape first made the rounds , I was exited and sad at the same time because i knew what to expect especially from the OMAHA show[audience recording], but to see it was something else, FAIRYTALE was always one of my faves, the range and cresendos in the song certainly appealed to me, I guess you could say he was there in spirit. I followed the last 2 tours and saw him in rapid city, we were all told to not leave our seats repeaditly durring the intermission which was about 22 minutes longer than usual, the first thing i did was get my camera ready, with a strobe, since he hated flashes, i pretty much expected the same show as KANSAS the night before, but i was amazed , his mood, energy/stamina were up, and judjing byFELTONS unning around he was pretty pleased with the show. HURT was done flawlessly, the MAYOR of the city was sitting right in front and was pretty shocked and wasn't pleased with E.P.'S antics at all on stage[the f word] especially suprised and angered him, he stated that he thought meeting ELVIS was ok, MAYOR LE CROY was starring and cursing E.P. the whole time, his seats were directly in front of mine, and his wife could only comment on his rings and how he didn't have a watch on[funny how i still remember this detail] anyway , I still think he really tried his best at this show, it was one of the best of that week, believe me, and it showed the world the most important thing , ELVIS PRESLEY HAD A GOD GIVEN GIFT!

EnigmaticSun
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks, 'the colonel': you summed it up rather nicely. :'(

Music is like the ozone layer; you never miss it until it's gone.

mozzarella
11-25-2005, 07:41 AM
i can tell you , back in 2000 when the tape first made the rounds , I was exited and sad at the same time because i knew what to expect especially from the OMAHA show[audience recording], but to see it was something else, FAIRYTALE was always one of my faves, the range and cresendos in the song certainly appealed to me, I guess you could say he was there in spirit. I followed the last 2 tours and saw him in rapid city, we were all told to not leave our seats repeaditly durring the intermission which was about 22 minutes longer than usual, the first thing i did was get my camera ready, with a strobe, since he hated flashes, i pretty much expected the same show as KANSAS the night before, but i was amazed , his mood, energy/stamina were up, and judjing byFELTONS unning around he was pretty pleased with the show. HURT was done flawlessly, the MAYOR of the city was sitting right in front and was pretty shocked and wasn't pleased with E.P.'S antics at all on stage[the f word] especially suprised and angered him, he stated that he thought meeting ELVIS was ok, MAYOR LE CROY was starring and cursing E.P. the whole time, his seats were directly in front of mine, and his wife could only comment on his rings and how he didn't have a watch on[funny how i still remember this detail] anyway , I still think he really tried his best at this show, it was one of the best of that week, believe me, and it showed the world the most important thing , ELVIS PRESLEY HAD A GOD GIVEN GIFT!

Who said the f word? Le Croy or Elvis?

orwell1976
11-26-2005, 08:33 AM
As far as I know only Omaha and Rapid City were filmed. CBS had planed to film in Lincoln (the day between the above mentioned concerts), too, but it wasn't allowed because of insurance reasons or something like that. But they filmed and interviewed parts of the audience in other cities, too.

Lonniebealestreet
11-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Who said the f word? Le Croy or Elvis?

I believe that is a mistaken reference to the beginning of Amen in which Elvis is doing his 'well, well, well' routine and James Burton is mimicking Elvis' notes with his guitar. Elvis says, "That ain't what I did," and then, hurriedly, "In fact, I don't know what I did." The way he says "in fact" actually sounds a lot like an F-bomb, which seems to fit except for how unlikely that would have been and for the fact the audience didn't seem to react to it at all.

I actually thought that was what I was hearing the first few times I heard it. Pretty funny that Mayor LaCroix thought the same thing, if that is true.

This can also be heard on the Elvis In Concert CD, by the way.

Joe Car
12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Everybody makes a lot of good points about this special. From where I stand it took a lot of guts to get in front of the cameras for Elvis given the obvious change in his appearance since the Aloha. Sometimes his enormous talent and incredible looks were a hinderence to him in that once they deserted him to a degree, a lot of people hammered on him for that. I think if done with compassion, similar to that on the Elvis Lives special, it should be released. It all depends how they (they being EPE), would spin it.

EnigmaticSun
12-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Everybody makes a lot of good points about this special. From where I stand it took a lot of guts to get in front of the cameras for Elvis given the obvious change in his appearance since the Aloha. Sometimes his enormous talent and incredible looks were a hinderence to him in that once they deserted him to a degree, a lot of people hammered on him for that. I think if done with compassion, similar to that on the Elvis Lives special, it should be released. It all depends how they (they being EPE), would spin it.

Well, he surely seemed to be moving less. He was pretty strong with singing, though - he was also able to play a lot more chords on the guitar than he thought he could. I also like to see him playing the piano (Unchained Melody).

I think the CBS special could be released; there should be a digital remastering of both sound and footage, though.

orwell1976
12-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Of cause Elvis could play more than three chords, but he knew that he definitely wasn't the best guitarplayer. But I like his self irony very much. Ther aren't too many superstars who have that kind of irony. Most of them are taking themselfs very seriously. But you're right: Even in his worst shape (and the summer of 1977 was another all time low) the king could still sing. Just listen to TRYING TO GET TO YOU.....

EnigmaticSun
12-09-2005, 12:12 PM
You can't be the best at every subject simultaneously; I think Eric Clapton might know more about playing the guitar, but Elvis was a better singer - it's very hard to find singers such as Elvis. I think that the summer of '77 wasn't an all time low from a vocal point of view.

THENATUREBOY
12-09-2005, 12:52 PM
This shouldnt be released to the public, for the one reason, his appearance. Now I didnt ever have a problem with his appearance and can see that he still has a nice voice and talent, but Im a diehard fan. If this came out the casual person could never get past EP's appearance to ever recognize the talent he still had at this time. This is just something, if released, that all the critics could use to run EP down a little bit more.

elvisdownunder
12-09-2005, 10:56 PM
i think, that the CBS special should be re-edited with the best performances, and put on t.v one more time to give people a chance to record it and give non fans a chance to see it in a beter light

peter
12-10-2005, 04:46 AM
CBS Special should be DEFINATELY released. I think that best would be two editions.

1st as "best of" both shows (it should be released as 1st!). I mean - Unchained Melody, Hurt, My Way, Trying To Get To You etc. As next should be released special set in same style as Aloha and Comeback was. I think that Elvis didn?t ended his career on top, but it?s still really far far faaaar better than a lot of crap which is released today as Great DVDs! I think that Elvis has one of best (probably the best) fans all over the world and they should have a chance to see it, because they?ll LOVE IT! :notworthy