PDA

View Full Version : LP 74 Talking Album Only

Tommy
10-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi Everybody,

You know about the talk of the DVD fun with Elvis, just the funny stuff. Well I guess you all knew that in 1974 RCA made an LP "Having Fun with ELVIS on Stage. A talking album only. From Concerts from 1970 to 1974. Executive Producer for this recording project was Elvis. I have it.

Tommy :)

KPM
10-16-2005, 04:42 PM
I have it also, If I remember the Col. had been selling a version of this at concerts on the Boxcar label and someone got the idea of making it an official RCA release. The Boxcar label could sell it because it was "talking only".

Tommy
10-16-2005, 04:56 PM
That's GREAT! Can you play your's. I will have to hook up by turntable again to play it. Mine has the RCA label. Now I would love to hear it again. I had forgotten I had it!

Thank you for your reply,

Jungleroom76
10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I have a copy of this album on both the RCA and the Boxcar labels! I still really can't believe that this album was ever even considered, let alone released!!! :blink:

TCB!
Mike

Tommy
10-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank you Mike,

Would just like to hear it again.

KPM
10-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Mine plays and it was another Col. idea that it ever got released. He figured there were always die hard fans who would buy it just to collect. Since we have it I guess he was right. Ha

Tommy
10-16-2005, 06:43 PM
KPM,

Glad you can play yours. One of these days I get my turntable hooked back so I can play mine. :D

Thank you,

NEA
10-17-2005, 04:07 AM
I too bought this LP many years ago - I always thought the cover was memorable...and pretty cool.

The one thing I did think about it was the fact that it appeared to be a 'tacky' project that was The Colonel's idea (of course!) of making Elvis out to be some sort of 'Stand-up' act. And, behind all the 'fun' element was the usual "Always leave 'em wanting more" motto due to the fact that we were only treated to snippets of shows (mostly in Vegas, I think) over a period of a few years - but without any music. It reached No. 130 on the Billboard Chart, but not too sure of it's overall success Worldwide.
Has this album ever been released on CD?

Tommy
10-17-2005, 08:08 AM
NEA,

Nice to hear about your having the LP.

Thank you,

nashville cat
10-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I think the cover is super cool. I really like the use of multiple concert shots. The American Eagle suit is also one of my favorites.

Listening to the album is a weird experience though.

Jungleroom76
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Has this album ever been released on CD?

Actually NEA, this album was released on import CD a couple of years ago. And, not only was the original album issued on CD, but there was also a Vol. 2, Vol. 3, Vol. 4 and Vol. 5 of this series issued on CD. The import CD of the original LP had the same cover art as the LP, and the other 4 volumes all featured the same 6-photo front cover design, just using different colors and photos on each volume.

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Here are the CD covers for the 5 volumes of the HAVING FUN WITH ELVIS ON STAGE series! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Albert
10-18-2005, 03:08 AM
This was one of the few 70s Elvis LP's that my father owned. I remember playing this one very often when I was a kid. I loved the cover and the humour.

What was also suprising (and still is) is the soundquality of the dialogues. Many of these I still haven't heard on CD's yet, so there must be some great sounding shows in the archives.

The main point of selling this album was of course a wrong one: simply making some quick cash, instead of improving Elvis' status as an artist. But now, decades later, we should be happy with an album like this. How many artists or bands can fill a LP with between-songs talking only?

:cool:

NEA
10-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Thanks for posting the pics of the covers, Jungleroom - a nice design throughout this whole unique, but tacky, concept...it would be great to have all the shows released that the snippets of dialogue were actually from - what do you say?

So, the original got an import release - why was it not released officially?

Tommy
10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
I second that! Thank you Mike for posting the cover's I hadn't seen them all before. (y)

Jungleroom76
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for posting the pics of the covers, Jungleroom - a nice design throughout this whole unique, but tacky, concept...it would be great to have all the shows released that the snippets of dialogue were actually from - what do you say?

So, the original got an import release - why was it not released officially?

MY PLEASURE NEA!! (y)

I agree completely that the concept for the album is in VERY poor taste!! Yes, it's nice to hear Elvis having a good time on stage, but an entire album of these soundbites is completely unnecessary...just leave the dialogue in the concerts where they came from, and let us enjoy them during the show, when he originally said these things!!! :)

As for your other question about why this album was not officially released on CD, my guess would be because there really isn't much demand from the fans for a re-issue of this album on CD!! The album was a bad idea the first time around, so I can't imagine making the same mistake twice by re-issuing it officially on CD!!!

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-18-2005, 04:21 PM
I second that! Thank you Mike for posting the cover's I hadn't seen them all before. (y)

MY PLEASURE PAL!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike