PDA

View Full Version : As it Should have been! '68

Raised on Rock
09-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Albums

Speedway 05/68

NOt Released (I mean do we need to release an albun that only reached No 82 album chart?)

Tomorrow Is A Long TIme 03/68 Another TItle that I like: Too Much Monkey Business...

Side)A
Tomorrow Is A Long TIme
Guitar Man/What I Say (Unedited Version)
All I needed Was The Rain
Down In THe Alley (Take 1 with studio Chat)
Big Boss Man (Take 2 with false starts and studio chat)
Hi Heel Sneakers (unedited versios with Studio Chat)
You DOnt Know Me (Sep '67 Version)

Side B)
Too Much Monkey Business
Beyond THe Reef
Just Call Me Lonesome
Mine
Singing Tree
U.S. Male
Stay Away

One Night 8/68 Other titles. "Elvis: Live and In person" yeah that the Dylan motto ...any more ideas?

Side a)
Intro/Band Introducctions 6pm
That All RIght 8pm
Heartbreak Hotel 6pm
Are You Lonesometonight 8pm
Blue SUede SHoes 8pm
Santa Claus Is Back In Town/Blue CHristmas 8pm
Love Me 8pm

Side B)
Lawdy Miss Clawdy 8pm
Tiger Man
When My BLue Moon Turns Gold Again 8pm
Baby What You Want Me To Do 6pm (last Version)
One Night 6pm(Last version ...were gonna do one more song theres another audience...)
Trying TO Get TO You 8pm

Elvis NBC Tv Special 12/68

SIdeA)
Trouble/Guitar Man
welcome to NBc and to the Elvis Presley Special/ HEartbreak hotel-Hound Dog, All sHook Up. 6pm
I Like To talk a little bit about music/ GOspel Medley (complete as in Memories 68)
Jailhouse Rock 8pm
Dont Be Cruel 8pm
BLue Suede SHoes 8pm

Side B)
Cant Help Falling In Love
Road Medley (complete as in Memories with few edits like using the original live Guitar Man but using all songs like in Memories)
If I Can Dream

Singles

Youll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him 02/68
Lets Your Self Go/ Speedway 05/68
Your Groovy Self (Nancy sinatra)/Your Time hasnt COme Yet Baby 05/68
Guitar Man/Too Much Monkey Bussines (released by popular demand) 07/68
Lawdy Miss Clawdy (live)/Trying TO Get TO You (live) 08/68
If I Can Dream/ A Little Less COnversation 11/68

Extended Plays

We Will give this to the SInger company intead of an album. Dont want to release this but we have to give something to the guys at SInger.

Side A) Almost In Love, Who are You, There is Nothing Like A Song. Side B) Edge of Reality, Wonderfull WOrld, GOin Home? 10/68

elvisdownunder
09-30-2005, 12:11 AM
i agree with you, what a missed opportunity for the 'too much monkey business(thats my title for it) album. but i think that some of the choices are still a little edgy. beyond the reef, not really for the public. i like your alternate album and single ideas(y)

Raised on Rock
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Yes your right man, I just realize anyway that Beyond The Reef was overdubbed till August so we cant use it for thes album, we can take All I needed was the rain too and keep it as 12 track Lp

What about the One Night Album?

Thanks for your coments.

elvisdownunder
10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
well the one night album has of course now been released officially, but for a 60s live album, killer idea!

Cryogenic
10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Going off on a slight tangent here...

Looking at those pictures just reminds me of how COOL Elvis looked with a guitar. It really suited him to have one around his neck. ****!

It's a shame he didn't do a little more guitar-playing in his later years. Now, while NOT having a guitar freed up his singing and meant he could defer entirely to people even more talented than he at plucking such a globally respected instrument, the images of Elvis with guitars from the Comeback Special are just TOO cool. Just look at him in that picture with the red number. He has this guttural intensity about his playing, even while NOT playing, and a cheekiness in his eyes and body motions that seems to beckon, "what do YOU want me to do next?".

There was a lot of good material that started popping up in the mid-60s prior to Elvis' resurgence that very few know about. "I'll Remember You", "Tomorrow Is A Long Time", "Something Blue", "It Hurts Me", "Indescribably Blue", "Big Boss Man" and "Hi Heel Sneakers" are some of his all-time finest vocal performances. In my opinion. Even some of the "lesser" movie stuff - like "Edge of Reality" and "Wonderful World" - showcase an extraordinarly powerful voice. If you dip into a film like "Viva Las Vegas", you find song after song sung exceptionally well. "You're The Boss" was very seductive and even a little jazzy (very atypical for Elvis - but done brilliantly), yet at the other end of the spectrum, you had a flashy little number like "Hard Knocks" that sounds like it could have come out before Elvis went into the army! Then there are his remarkable 1966 gospel sessions. The 60's really has it all.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-05-2005, 11:11 PM
I agree with you, his voice had trained to a finely tuned instrument in the 60's. Very much the crooner's voice. I think his voice sounded best in the 60's. Alot of people chalk off the movie soundtrack songs but I think there were some gems in there and the rest, when listened in the context of the movie, really aren't that bad.

Oh by the way. When I saw him in Memphis in 1976, he played a little accoustic guitar on That's all right mama, Blue Christmas and one other I think. I loved that he did that, instead of wearing it as mostly a prop like he did alot to open the show at that time.

Cryogenic
10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey...

Nice to have you aboard!

Another "I saw Elvis" person, too. Doubly cool. :D

JerryNodak
10-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Don't like, have never liked To Much Monkey Bussiness. Otherwise, I like your ideas.

KPM
10-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I agree with you, his voice had trained to a finely tuned instrument in the 60's. Very much the crooner's voice. I think his voice sounded best in the 60's. Alot of people chalk off the movie soundtrack songs but I think there were some gems in there and the rest, when listened in the context of the movie, really aren't that bad.

Oh by the way. When I saw him in Memphis in 1976, he played a little accoustic guitar on That's all right mama, Blue Christmas and one other I think. I loved that he did that, instead of wearing it as mostly a prop like he did alot to open the show at that time.

I think he wanted to show he could , if need be, play enough to do his songs alone. Dylan once said "His voice is his instrument" He never set out to be the biggest guitar player in the world, when you are the biggest rock star in the world you get the best people you can to back you up. Many people do not realize he played piano, organ , bass, even a little drums and all by ear.

Menwithbrokenhearts
10-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey...

Nice to have you aboard!

Another "I saw Elvis" person, too. Doubly cool. :D

Thanks! I am so glad to be aboard!
So you saw Elvis too? What year? I'd love to hear about it!
I have been a lifelong Elvis fan, but just recently got back into him when I was putting together a memoribilia package for My Mom for the concert she went to. Man, if you look hard enough you can find anything on the internet. I found the program, a ticket stub, a bootleg cd and tons of photos from that concert (Memphis 1975). Then I started looking for me and found even more from the concert I went to. For the past month or so it's all been "Takin' me Back" .
Anyway, I found this place and I have been having so much fun here the last three nights. I will definately be hanging out here for a long time!

elvisdownunder
10-07-2005, 04:04 AM
the last memphis concert is one of my faves, how fortunate you were to be there for one of his best. you have the cd soundboard as well? fantastic, brilliant(y)

Albert
10-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Tomorrow Is A Long TIme 03/68 Another TItle that I like: Too Much Monkey Business...

Side A)
Tomorrow Is A Long TIme
Guitar Man/What I Say (Unedited Version)
All I needed Was The Rain
Down In THe Alley (Take 1 with studio Chat)
Big Boss Man (Take 2 with false starts and studio chat)
Hi Heel Sneakers (unedited versios with Studio Chat)
You DOnt Know Me (Sep '67 Version)

Side B)
Too Much Monkey Business
Beyond THe Reef
Just Call Me Lonesome
Mine
Singing Tree
U.S. Male
Stay Away

The release of the NBC special soundtrack was quite obvious. Not releasing a new soundtrack is a good suggestion.

The 'Too Much Monkey Business' album would have been a fantastic follow-up to the NBC special. Great compilation of styles, sounds and direction.

How stupid must 'the powers that be' at RCA have been during Elvis' carreer. They have simply destroyed his carreer by their release strategy. Too bad nobody cared for a the artistic integraty of Elvis (and his personal intrest).