PDA

View Full Version : Flashback

Keith F
05-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Flashback

After listening thoroughly to this new CD today and comparing what has been / not been officially released by BMG, I found it interesting to note that some tracks on here HAVE, in fact, been released officially before by BMG. Here?s a rundown of what I?ve discovered: -

Heartbreak Hotel ? Takes 5 & 4 (Spliced)
Take 5 has appeared on ?Elvis 56? & a ?CD Single? from BMG, and on the bootleg ?Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Memory)?. We get the first 1.12 (1.27?) on here spliced with the last 1.09 (0.43?) of Take 4, which has never been released. The tape BMG have only has the last half of the take on it; the rest of the tape must have been erased. The Master is Take 7.

Money Honey ? Take 10 (Intro Only)
No out takes of this song have surfaced in any form, and we only get the first 20 seconds of the take here, the rest of the tape must have been erased. The Master is spliced from Takes 5 & 6.

I?m Counting On You ? Takes 1, 2 & Unknown
We have only had Take 13 before which was on ?Platinum?, and no other out takes have surfaced until now. Take 1 seems to be two False Starts (0.17)(0.20?), and Take 2 seems to be a False Start (0.16)(0.10?), but with no vocals. The complete take (NA) is 2.24 (2.27?), and all are unreleased. The Master is Take 17.

I Was The One ? Take 7 (Unedited)
We have had Takes 1, 2 & 3 on the Time Life (Treasures 53 ? 58) CD and the bootlegs ?Totally Stung? and ?Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Memory)?. The Master is Take 7 but it also has the count-in here before the complete Take 7.

Lawdy Miss Clawdy ? Takes 11 & 12
We?ve had this complete session released over various bootlegs and official releases, but it?s the first official release of these two takes.

Shake Rattle & Roll ? Takes 3, 5, 6 & 7
Again, we?ve also had this complete session released over various bootlegs and official releases (Take 4 was not announced) but it?s the first time these takes have been officially released.

I Want You I Need You I Love You ? Take 3
We?ve had this take before on the bootleg ?When All Was Kool?, but this is its first official release. Other takes we?ve had from this session from BMG are:
Take 4 (?Platinum?) also on the bootlegs ?When All Was Kool?, ?Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Memory)?, ?I Beg Of You?, and ?There?s Always Him?.
Take 13 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever?).
Take 14 (?A Legendary Performer Vol 2? ? Vinyl & CD ? 1989 Canadian 10 Track CD) also on the bootlegs ?Totally Stung?, ?I Beg Of You? and ?There?s Always Him?.
Take 16 (?50?s Box CD5?) also on the bootlegs ?Totally Stung?, ?I Beg Of You? and ?There?s Always Him?.
The Master is spliced from takes 14 & 17.

Rip It Up ? Takes 10, 11, 12 & 16
We now have all takes of this song from Take 10 to 16 only released officially by BMG. We got Takes 13 & 14 on ?Today Tomorrow & Forever? (only listed as Take 14) and Take 15 was on ?Platinum?.
The Master is Take 19.

Loving You (Slow) ? Takes 2 & 3
The complete session from February 14 1957 has been released on the bootleg ?The Complete Loving You Session?. We?ve had Takes 1 & 10 from BMG on ?Essential Elvis Vol 1?, Take 12 (Master) was on the ?50?s Box CD5? and we?ve also had this Take 3 on ?Today Tomorrow & Forever? but it was wrongly stated to be Take 6 on that release. Take 2, which is a short False Start is released here officially for the first time.

I Need Your Love Tonight ? Takes 12 & 13
This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Master Box Vol 1? and various others too. Takes already released by BMG are:
Take 2 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
Take 4 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever?)
Take 5 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
Take 7 (?Platinum?)
Take 10 ? A (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
Take 18 ? Master (?50?s Box 4? & ?Gold Records Vol 2)

A Big Hunk O? Love ? Take 2
All four takes of this song have now been released of this song officially with this release. The other takes can be found:
Take 1 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?)
Take 3 (?50?s Box CD4?, ?30 Number Ones? & ?24 Karat Hits? ? with count-in)
Take 4 (?Platinum?)
The Master is spliced from takes 3 & 4 and can be found on the BMG CD ?All Time Greatest Hits?

Ain?t That Loving You Baby ? Take 8
We?ve only had two other out takes from this session released officially, Take 1 can be found on ?Essential Elvis Vol 3? and Take 11 can be found on ?50?s Box CD5?. The complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Masters Box 1?

A Fool Such As I ? Takes 4 & 5
We?ve only had Take 3 released before by BMG (on ?Essential Elvis Vol 3?) along with the Master (Take 9), but the complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Masters Box 1?

I Got Stung ? Takes 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8
We?ve only had takes 12, 14 (?Essential Elvis Vol 3?), and 16 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever?) released before by BMG along with the Master (Take 24), but the complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Unsurpassed Masters Box 1?

That?s When Your Heartaches Begin ? Take 1 (Binaural)
We?ve only had takes 2 (?Close Up?), 4, 5 and 6 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?) released before by BMG, but the complete session can be found (between them) on the bootlegs ?Stereo ?57?, ?I Beg Of You? and ?There?s Always Him?.

It Is No Secret ? Take 5 (Binaural)
This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 1, 2 & 3 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?), take 13 (?Close Up?).
It?s also interesting to note that on the FTD release ?Easter Special? it?s listed as Take 12 of this song, but it?s actually the same take as we get here (Take 5) so this HAS already been released officially.

Blueberry Hill ? Take 3 (Binaural)
This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 2 & 7 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?) and Take 9 (?Close Up?).

Have I Told You Lately That I Love You ? Takes 6 & 7 (Binaural)
This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 2, 6, 12 & 13 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?) and Take 15 ? Master (?Close Up?).
Note that we?ve already had Take 6 officially released.

Is It So Strange ? Takes 8 & 9 (Binaural)
This complete session can be found on the bootleg ?Stereo ?57?. Officially released out takes until now are takes 1, 7 & 11 (?Essential Elvis Vol 2?), Take 10 (Today Tomorrow & Forever? - Mono only) and Take 12 ? Master (?Close Up?).

Loving You (Main Title Version) ? Takes 6 & 12 (Binaural)
The complete session from February 14 1957 has been released (in mono) on the bootleg ?The Complete Loving You Session? (Take 16 is only on the vinyl version). We?ve had Takes1, 8, 20 & 21 (?Essential Elvis Vol 1? - Mono), Take 3 (?La Legende? ? Mono), Takes 5 & 15 (?Close Up? ? Binaural), Take 13 (?50?s Box CD5? ? Mono) and Take 14 (?Sliver Screen Stereo? ? Binaural) released by BMG. Takes 6 & 12 are released here officially for the first time here.

Treat Me Nice (2003) ? Takes 1, 2 & 3 (Binaural)
It?s great to finally hear this totally different arrangement of this song and also to hear how the song starts out originally, at long last. We got the Master of this version of this song, also in Binaural, from BMG on ?Close Up?. No other out takes of this session have been released in any form.

Young And Beautiful (2004) ? Take 6 (Binaural)
From this session we?ve had takes 4, 5 (?Today Tomorrow & Forever? - Mono), 21, 22 (?Close Up? ? Binaural) and the spliced Master (spliced from takes 8, 12, 18 & 22)(?Essential Elvis Vol 1 (with studio talk from Take 12) released officially until now by BMG. We also got takes 18 & 19 on the vinyl bootleg ?The Jailhouse Rock Sessions? (Mono) which have never been released on CD.

I Want To Be Free (2009) ? Take 11 (Binaural)
From this session we?ve only had takes 3, 4 (Today Tomorrow & Forever ? Mono) and 12 (?Close Up? ? Binaural) released before by BMG, and nothing on bootleg.

Don?t Leave Me Now ? Takes 7 & 8 (Binaural)
We?ve had takes 16, 17, 18 (Master)(?Silver Screen Stereo? - Binaural) and Take 21 (?Close Up? ? Binaural) released by BMG up to now. We also got takes 18 & 21 on the vinyl bootleg ?The Jailhouse Rock Sessions? (Mono) which have never been released on CD.

If anyone has any additions / alterations to this list, any input is welcomed

Keith

curtis simpkins
05-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi keith

and thank you very much on the info on that cd, so hows the sound on it
good, and hows the book. :D

P.S. Annie
05-30-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by curtis simpkins@May 30 2004, 03:18 AM

and thank you very much on the info on that cd, so hows the sound on it
good, and hows the book. :D
Curtis, I think the sound is great and the book is just wonderfull, it is something you will take a look at lot of times.