PDA

View Full Version : soundboard Big Boss Man

Albert
04-17-2005, 06:39 AM

Live in: - Las Vegas, NV. - March 28, 1975

http://www.tcb-world.com/files/listen.gif Tracklist (click on the track to hear a 20 second sample) Help

01. Also Sprach Zarathustra
02. See See Rider
03. I Got A Woman/Amen
04. Love Me
05. If You Love Me
06. And I Love You So
07. Big Boss Man
08. It's Midnight
09. Promised Land
10. Burning Love
11. Introductions
12. My Boy
13. I'll Remember You
14. Let Me Be There
15. Hound Dog
16. American Trilogy
17. Can't Help Falling In Love
18. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
19. The Wonder Of You
20. Bridge Over Troubled Water
21. Little Darlin'
22. Hawaiian Wedding Song
23. Green Green Grass Of Home
24. Fairytale
25. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
26. You're The Reason I'm Living

Tracks 18-22 - recorded live in Las Vegas, NV. on March 31, 1975 at the midnight show
Tracks 23-26 - recorded live in Las Vegas, NV. on March 22, 1975 at the midnight show

Reviews:
jungleroom76

dirklandwehr
04-19-2005, 03:45 AM
This is one of the best 1975 shows I have listened to so far. Elvis is really great, the song lineup is great and the sound and the artwork of this release are great, too. A must have for every collection!

Sonny
05-15-2005, 05:41 AM
A very nice cd indeed...

However, according to a reliable source the date mentioned for this concert is NOT correct!

It's not: "March 30, 1975 dinner show".

The correct date for the concert on this cd should be: "March 28, 1975 midnight show".

Sonny

elVis112
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
A very nice cd indeed...

However, according to a reliable source the date mentioned for this concert is NOT correct!

It's not: "March 30, 1975 dinner show".

The correct date for the concert on this cd should be: "March 28, 1975 midnight show".

Sonny

According to several Elvis sites Ernst Jorgensen also commited the mistake and has corrected it. It is indeed the March 28, 1975 ms show (as could be easily told by the introduction of Barbra Streisand that night).

Jungleroom76
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
WOW!!! :supriced:

That is a little surprising that such an error was made with this CD before it was released! I'm sure it is very difficult for Ernst & Co. to keep all the dates straight, considering all of the concert recordings they have in their vaults.....but still....shouldn't some proofreading or some type of error checking have gone into the information on this show before it was released with the wrong date??? :hmm:

I realize that the FTD releases are aimed at the collectors and that we have more information at our disposal to verify the accuracy of the information we are given on these CD's than the casual Elvis fans.....but considering this is the 45TH release on the FTD label, shouldn't these types of errors be preventable by now?? :blink:

EVEN AS I POST THIS MESSAGE I am listening to BIG BOSS MAN for the first time, and I've got to say that so far, I am quite impressed with this show!!! Well paced and GREAT song lineup thus far!!! Definitely considering writing a review of this CD soon.... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
05-19-2005, 04:45 PM
THE "BIG BOSS MAN" ROCKS LAS VEGAS!!!!

Upon first learning of the release of this CD, most Elvis fans were a little surprised that the Follow That Dream (FTD) Collector's Label was planning to release another live recording from 1975. But most Elvis fans will agree that 1975 was generally one of Elvis' best concert years, and like the previous FTD releases covering Elvis' live shows from 1975 (DIXIELAND ROCKS and DINNER AT EIGHT), the latest release from the FTD label -- BIG BOSS MAN -- will NOT disappoint!!

BIG BOSS MAN showcases The King on stage during his March '75 engagement in Las Vegas, and the main portion of the CD brings us Elvis' entire performance from the Midnight Show on March 28, 1975. (**NOTE: The CD cover states that the main show is the Dinner Show from March 30, 1975....but recent information from Ernst Jorgensen confirms that this date is incorrect and that the show contained on BIG BOSS MAN is indeed the Midnight Show on March 28**)

While the show itself is a bit short for a Midnight Show, Elvis really delivers a mostly solid performance from beginning to end. From the opening bars of SEE SEE RIDER, the listener can tell that Elvis is in high spirits and his overall delivery of his traditional opening number provides us with our first clue that we are in for a great show!

I GOT A WOMAN/AMEN and LOVE ME are up next and are unremarkable for the most part with Elvis' giving us the standard delivery of these numbers! Elvis then launches into a great version of IF YOU LOVE ME (LET ME KNOW) and quickly follows it up with one of his first live performances of AND I LOVE YOU SO, which is delivered beautifully!!! BIG BOSS MAN is next on the set list, and once again, Elvis delivers a rocking version of this song for us! Two of Elvis' more recent recordings are featured next -- a haunting version of IT'S MIDNIGHT and a fantastic version of PROMISED LAND (dig the electric piano opening from David Briggs on this one!)!

After listening to the audience shout out some requests, Elvis decides to fulfill a request for BURNING LOVE and delivers a decent version of the song...one of the better versions I have heard from a 1975 show! The band introductions are up next and then Elvis launches into one of his best 1975 showstopping ballads, MY BOY! Following a better than average version of I'LL REMEMBER YOU, the remainder of the show's quality slides just a little bit. A rather quick version of LET ME BE THERE is followed by throwaway performances of HOUND DOG and AMERICAN TRILOGY before the show comes to a somewhat premature ending with the standard CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE! With the exception of the last 4 songs, this show is definitely one of Elvis' best performances of 1975! Elvis does a nice job of mixing the uptempo numbers with some of his most beautiful ballads, and with the exceptions of BURNING LOVE and HOUND DOG, Elvis really tries to focus more on the contemporary material he had recently introduced into his concert lineup, as opposed to settling for his classic songs. Overall, I think this combination makes for a very enjoyable listening experience in my opinion!

Following the conclusion of the main portion of BIG BOSS MAN, fans are treated to 8 bonus performances recorded during various other shows during Elvis' March 1975 Las Vegas engagement. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME is a nice treat to hear back in Elvis' concert lineup, and Elvis delivers a good version of it here. THE WONDER OF YOU starts out about 1/3 of the way through the song, although it is hard to tell if Elvis does this intentionally or if this is the result of an edit in the master tape, but otherwise this is a fairly standard performance of this song for 1975. An above average BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER is followed by the somewhat throwaway LITTLE DARLIN'. HAWAIIAN WEDDING SONG, a real rarity for 1975, is performed well by Elvis, and is followed by excellent versions of GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME and FAIRYTALE....two newer entries in the Elvis catalog! The CD concludes with the now familiar, albeit rare, off-the-cuff performance of YOU'RE THE REASON I'M LIVING!

The overall sound quality of the main show contained on BIG BOSS MAN is very good after a shaky start during ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA (THEME TO 2001) and the first 1/3 of SEE SEE RIDER. The sound quality of the bonus songs varies slightly from track to track, but again are very listenable and not that much different from the main show. As compared to the other live FTD releases from 1975, I would rate BIG BOSS MAN a notch above DINNER AT EIGHT but a notch below DIXIELAND ROCKS!

For the most part, the artwork for BIG BOSS MAN is standard FTD fare. A great action shot of Elvis graces the front cover, and another nice photo of Elvis can be found under the CD tray....sadly, the rest of the package is lacking in photos aside from 2 small color photos on the inside front cover. The front cover photo is framed by a nice 2-tone green border, with Elvis' name and the CD title also done in the same 2-tone green color scheme. The inside front cover and back cover feature the track listing and pertinent (albeit sparse) recording information, again done with the 2-tone green color scheme. The CD itself is quite eye catching, in my opinion, using 3 different shades of green. Of course, the most glaring problem (at least with early copies of BIG BOSS MAN) is the incorrect recording date information contained on the inside front cover, as mentioned above. (According to Ernst Jorgensen, the problem has been corrected.)

All-in-all, most Elvis fans should be very pleased with BIG BOSS MAN! This is one CD that should be in every Elvis fans collection and deserves ample time in your CD player!!! :cool:

TCB!
Mike

elVis112
06-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Nice review overall and I'll agree to most things said - just say: isn't the font a little oversized? ;)

P.S. Annie
06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks again Mike for the review(y)

Lonniebealestreet
06-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Excellent review, Mike! The thing that stands out to me about it (besides how well written it is) is that you cranked it out in an incredibly short amount of time. I'm jealous! I'm digressing though...Again, very nicely done, buddy.

Jungleroom76
06-15-2005, 03:17 PM
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR KIND WORDS AND AS ALWAYS, I AM HUMBLED.... :blush:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Excellent review, Mike! The thing that stands out to me about it (besides how well written it is) is that you cranked it out in an incredibly short amount of time. I'm jealous! I'm digressing though...Again, very nicely done, buddy.
THANKS BUDDY!!!

As I typed my original post, stating that I would consider writing a review "soon", I was listening to BIG BOSS MAN for the first time, and the more I heard, the more inspired I was to write a review...especially considering what a FANTASTIC CD it is!!!

And actually....I would have had the review done sooner than I did, but I got hung up on the phrasing in a couple of places and it took me a while to figure out how I wanted to word what I was trying to convey!

But as always, I appreciate your kind words pal....THANK YOU for the glowing review of my review!!!

TCB!
Mike

elvis fan 1976
06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I just got mine this is the best 1975 concert EVER heard keep e'm comin' FTD! (y)

GERI_AMENT
08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
When? When? When?
I adore Elvis in 1975,he was great in that year and i'm sure this cd
is fantastic.
So it's a very sad thing that poor fans may not hear the samples.
Poor people can't buy FTD cd's.
The samples are for them (in theory).

mn-designs
08-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Nice review overall and I'll agree to most things said - just say: isn't the font a little oversized? ;)

I corrected the font size(y) , so the page stays in the same size, hope you don't mind, Mike:lol:

mandro
11-06-2005, 04:56 AM
Hello, I?m from Brazil, I would like to know if sombody know where I can find FTD in mp3 to download.... because in Brazil, we don?t have none cd FTD. RCA don?t like us from Brazil... Please help me to find some albuns... full.... thank?s....

IM4Elvis
12-28-2005, 07:26 PM
IMHO, this is a great show, and a great release by FTD. I really enjoy Elvis in 1975. This show has him rocking on "Promised Land" and "Burning Love" back-to-back! His version of "And I Love So" is simply beautiful. I'm not going to review the entire CD, but I will be listening to this one over and over again.. Thanks FTD!

IM

:happy_ny:

easyrider
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Great show!!!!!!!!!

nabelt24
03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I believe that this is one of his best shows! MAN! I've listened to it over and over again and can't get enough! It sounds in a great mood and he tears into every song he performs. This IS a must have album!!!