PDA

View Full Version : Is this why the Last round of MGM movies were delayed ?

jbgude
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Here is an extract of an news item from CNN today: maybe this is why the last round of Elvis' DVds were pulled from release. Read on:

"Bye-bye, MGM
Famed studio, and UA partner, swallowed up in purchase .....

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- It's very sad. MGM is gone. So is United Artists.

The deal, expected to close on Friday, for a consortium of companies (including Sony Corp.) to purchase the MGM assets for some $4.8 billion reminds us that in today's entertainment universe, it's all about selling DVDs........

....As Kerkorian finally closes his latest deal to sell MGM Inc. to the Sony consortium -- including Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacific Group and DLJ Banking Partners -- for almost $5 billion, he will make billions; Yemenidjian and McGurk make millions.

Nobody knows quite what will become of MGM and UA. About 250 out of 1,400 employees will stay on, mostly at the home video company, while the rest cash their severance checks, switch to their home e-mail addresses and join their Miramax brethren sending out resumes.

The CD press kit for the upcoming "Amityville Horror" remake, complete with MGM mailing label, is starting to feel like a collector's item.

Sony will divvy up the outstanding MGM and UA titles for release through its divisions including Columbia, TriStar, Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics. If MGM continues to co-produce films with Sony, it's mainly to keep the library refreshed, insiders say.

The MGM and UA labels will still show up on surviving franchises like "The Pink Panther," whose latest incarnation starring Steve Martin arrives in September. (The "Pink Panther," James Bond and "Rocky" franchises originated at UA.)....."

Interesting as Sony already has BMG this will be other side of the triangle Sony/ BMG/ MGM ......

Let us hope we do not have long to wait for the Elvis movies.

Albert
04-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I hate it that famous brands and companies are being sold to other big companies. First they change the concept and then the name. You see it everywhere: products in the shops, chains of shops, phonecompanies..... It seems like nothing may stay the same....

Let's only hope that this will give us finally a good "MGM" Elvis products (aka "The Ultimate Elvis On Tour DVD-set") ;)

curtis simpkins
04-09-2005, 06:44 PM
I also hate to see good people lose there job over this.
to me this isn't right one dam bit to me.
some of those people might have been there for years and getting to retire,
so some of those people might get an early retirement.

and i hate to see the name of mgm change with a new name.
this my friend its all about money big time.

and i dont think we might see any elvis movies to come anytime soon even Elvis on tour.

sony people is buying up everything even bmg music.
and even Columbia music.

to me i never like people llike sony buy every they get there hands on.
and imo

this is very bad news.:angry:

Andy_M
04-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Hope that we are someday be able to have ALL Elvis movies and EOT on DVD.
Its about time after more than 30 years.

jbgude
04-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Sony will divvy up the outstanding MGM and UA titles for release through its divisions including Columbia, TriStar, Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics

Wonder how long this process will take!

Scott Hayward
04-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Elvis' MGM films have been owned by Warner for a long time now so this has no bearing on the release on the missing films on DVD. Warner executives held a chat at Hometheather Forum recently, and while many interesting upcoming releases were announced, Elvis's films were not even mentioned which does not bode well...(n)

jbgude
04-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Elvis' MGM films have been owned by Warner for a long time now so this has no bearing on the release on the missing films on DVD

Whoops- I forgot about old Ted Turner and WB - thanks Scott , you are absolutely right: now that is a sad story - no Elvis being mentioned in their Hometheatre forum chat. Has anyone any connections with WB/ TCM who can shed some light at least on the movies - forget about the EOT revamp.

TIGERMAN-GB
04-10-2005, 04:08 AM
Elvis' MGM films have been owned by Warner for a long time now so this has no bearing on the release on the missing films on DVD. Warner executives held a chat at Hometheather Forum recently, and while many interesting upcoming releases were announced, Elvis's films were not even mentioned which does not bode well...(n)

You would think that a company like Warners would look at, for example, the sales figures for the Aloha & '68 Comeback DVDs & see that there is still money to be made by releasing Elvis product to the general public as well as the fans. :king: