PDA

View Full Version : compilations

geordie
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
wats your opinion on having elvis on different compilations,in my opinion,i think it cheapens his name,you never see the beatles on compilations.i know you could argue that it brings his music to new buyers but its not for me.(n) :notworthy

Lonniebealestreet
03-30-2005, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a handful of well assembled compilations with little or no repeats among them. The good thing about them is that with a catalogue as large as Elvis' (not speaking of the current 50 but the original titles), as a new fan you really wouldn't know where to start, or what this or that album is all about. The compilations make those initial purchases easier. Also, it's pretty impressive if you see that Elvis recorded music in such quantity and in such a diverse range of styles that you can legitimately compile however many different themed compilations.

What's no good is all the Artist of The Century-like, best of / greatest hits compilations along with numerous gospel, love songs, etc., etc. collections...and that they take up all the room on the store shelves when plenty of essential original titles aren't available.

JMHO.

Leroy
03-30-2005, 11:50 PM
If it is a compilation of well ballanced songs it would be alright. During Elvis' lifetime several compilations were released that were right. I'm mentioning "Elvis Gold Records Vol 1, 2, 3, and 4". It all went down a cheaper way when Camden/Pickwick came along.

But after Elvis death they all lost control. And a lot of the compilations are just the same album with another sleeve. Always the same songs which will give a lot of people the impression he didn't do anything else. I whitnessed people becoming Elvis fans by listening to albums like "That's The Way It Is", "Elvis Country" or "Now". I even know someone who only likes classical music but he do owns one Elvis album "From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis Tennessee". That's what a good album can do. You don't achieve this with an endless stream of compilations. I hope I did answer your question this way.

NightRider
03-31-2005, 01:10 AM
One interesting point here, is that from about the first 10 Elvis albums i bought ( LP's ), probably half of these were compilation albums. They were ( at the time ) the cheapest and easiest way of getting varied Elvis Material.

I do agree, that there were far too many released over the years - for Elvis fans,but for people listening to Elvis for the first time, they are a great way of listening to Elvis' different styles.

Listening to such compilations as The Collection series on Camden/Pickwick. Release in the very early eighties was a great way of hearing the whole Elvis. A mixture of Straight album material and the movies. Something that did help me become a fan of the movie music. Such tracks as Change Of Habit, Edge Of Reality and Charro, i heard them all first on a compilation LP.

I was assuming Geordie was talking about Compilations of other artists as well as Elvis. Not that that is a bad thing either. But often limited to well known tracks only. And not a way of getting Elvis' music across as they have already been heard.

dennyelvis
03-31-2005, 02:17 AM
Hey Geordie ... i get the feeling u were meaning various artists compilations,
am i right ?
if so then i kinda agree (y) and for many years they didnt allow Elvis songs to be used on
comps.
As far as his own comps i dont mind as long as they stop doing the same old tired song selection .... always on my mind ... love me tender ..... etc
Lets have some fresh rare released songs :cool: yes please !

Lonniebealestreet
03-31-2005, 06:24 AM
Ahhhhh...I may have misinterpreted that, I see. If so...well, since it hasn't happened very much, it's hard to judge them. They would have to have been done well.

Elvis' Christmas music is put out on such compilations--country too. I want to say some of his hits have been on other Time-Life compilation packages as well. These aren't what you're referring to, but it made me think of a cassette I have somewhere of Elvis and Jim Reeves Christmas music, and then a Christmas ornament/CD of Elvis and Alabama.

geordie
04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey Geordie ... i get the feeling u were meaning various artists compilations,
am i right ?
if so then i kinda agree (y) and for many years they didnt allow Elvis songs to be used on
comps.
As far as his own comps i dont mind as long as they stop doing the same old tired song selection .... always on my mind ... love me tender ..... etc
Lets have some fresh rare released songs :cool: yes please !

yes deny thats what i meant.for years elvis wasnt on any of theese c.d.s,i kinda liked that,but now money talks:mad: