PDA

View Full Version : CBS 77 & 'Elvis On Tour'

NEA
02-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Do you think that there is a possibility we may get DVD releases of both the 1977 CBS TV Special 'Elvis in Concert' and 'Elvis On Tour' before 2007 - the 30th Anniversary of Elvis' death?

I think 2007 would be an ideal time for EPE to collaborate with the Follow That Dream label and put together a worthwhile deluxe edition release of the 'Elvis in Concert' TV Special - available mainly for us hardcore fans. Afterall, they produce accompanying CD/Book projects on the FTD label so I am sure they can stretch to DVD releases too?!

It would also be nice to get the long-awaited deluxe edition of 'EOT' at this point - 2007 marks the 35th anniversary of the film. Ideally, I would like these sooner, but I am just trying to be somewhat realistic about this topic.

What do you reckon guys?

mn-designs
02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
The Elvis On Tour DVD will come out (some day..) if i remember correctly..MGM is looking into how to release it and when. Not saying that they made actual plans for it! but they were looking into it. As for the CBS Special...that will never happen! Only maybe a soundtrack upgrade through FTD, Ernst said that they are going to release something more from 1977..so why not this Elvis In Concert album?! it would be a great classic album release..

Lonniebealestreet
02-24-2005, 07:40 PM
I would think the chances are quite good that we will have EOT by '07...Well, TTWII SE came out in '01, so I better say '08 to be safe. :P

And I think there is a chance that we could get a revamped CBS special in '07 via FTD, but I'm not counting on that.

Captain Elwood David
02-25-2005, 05:35 AM
EOT will happen, definitely before any EIC.

That said, EIC may not happen in my life-time. ;)

---------------------------------------------------

"Never ........... say ............ Never."

"Not now, doesn't necessarily mean never."

- EPE's own words on the contentious EIC / CBS topic.

I think that day is a long, long way off, however (I hope I'm wrong, but am not holding my breath in the meantime).

If anybody can give specific dates to the queries on this thread --------> please call me ......... "COLLECT" ............... & let's play The Stock Market together with my money. :)

- Capt. "EL."

karlos
02-27-2005, 04:43 AM
(y) :king: :king:
WELL I HOPE THAT ELVIS ONTOUR AN E.I. C. ARE RELEASED VERY SOON ON DVD .E.O.T WILL BE A V- GOOD ACCOMPANIMENTTO THE OTHER RELEASES ON DVD . E.G.- 68TVSPECIAL., ALOHA ETC.
LETS NOT WAIT TOO LONG FOR THIS . I CERTAINLY WILL WELCOME THIS IN MY COLLECTION . (y) (y) :king: :king:
AS WELL AS E I C.-

rockinrebel
02-27-2005, 08:03 AM
“On Tour” seems more likely to be issued in the near future than “Elvis In Concert”. It is a great pity that EPE don’t own the “On Tour” footage, as I’m sure we would have had it already had this been the case.

I was hoping that the positive reaction to EPE’s “68 Comeback” and “Aloha” DVD’s would have influenced MGM to produce an “Elvis On Tour” Special Edition, but there has been no news on this as yet.

Whilst anything is better than nothing, I think it would be something of a disappointment if when MGM do get around to issuing “On Tour” it is nothing more than a straight re-issue of the original film. I’m sure we would all like to see more footage from the MGM salt mines.

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah have to agree EOT will not see the light of day for many years to come, there would have been more of a chance if EPE/Sillerman did not own the rights.

I'm surprised MGM haven't tried to cash in on the Success of Aloha and the Comeback Special, the copy I have on DVD and all the copies I have seen out there have a dark look about it, it could do with a overhaul, after all EOT won a Golden Globe that's got to stand for something. I rate EOT higher than Aloha, I think it is the most underated of the Concert footage available. IMO less rehearsed, less staged and the real deal.

MysteryTrain
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
EOT will probably come out in a new edition. The question is when?
I wont belive that MGM is the only part to blame, een tough they have the rights to the films. I bet EPE has some intressts in that footage aswell (Use of the name Elvis Presley, sound of Elvis Presley etc.) And this buissness can take a long time. But im postivie that we will see a new edition in a cople of years.

As for the CBS special.... Lets face it, this footage will probably never be released on an official format. Atleast not in the near future.

03-11-2005, 05:59 AM
EOT is my favourote Elvis documentary. Obviously the general public will disagree due to Elvis appearence ( he isnt quite as thin as TTWII ) however, I rate it far higher. The reasons being that Elvis' song selection really impressed me! Proud Mary, Never Been To Spain, Untill Its Time For You To Go, Suspicious Minds, Burning Love etc..

Its not just the sonmg selection, but the delivery of the songs in 1972 was, well it was magnificent. The power, energy and determination just ozzes from each performance. I get no sense of boredom, frustration or lethargy from any of Elvis' performances in 72'.

I just really want to see an entire, or as close to an entire 1972 Concert. I have the Hampton Roads release which is brilliant as is the Texas Concert from 72' on Close Up Boxset.

I would hope that EOT will be released soon. A nice large multi DVD box set, a definitve release of it would be great, however we may have to weait untill after the Elvis Anthology release.

Joe Car
03-11-2005, 06:14 AM
EOT was great and though EP doesn't look quite as good as he did in TTWII, he still performs brilliantly.

Captain Elwood David
03-11-2005, 07:12 AM
According to the "Grapevine" :

EPE has not "Officially" catalogued all of the EIC footage, .... yet has "Officially" transferred it all to "Digital" format for "preservation" sake.

-----------------------------

Translation:

EIC is sitting on the fence, until the time is right .... for some release .... in some form.

I have stated it many times before ..... the writing is on the wall for those able to see it.

- Capt. "EL."

Leroy
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
I once read an article about five years ago which stated that the original footage of "Elvis In Concert" was in private hands. I also heard a statement that EPE didn't wish to release the footage because they wanted to protect Elvis' image. A strange thought if you realize that clips and bits of "In Concert" has been used in other documentaries. We all know how Elvis looked and I think I speak for a lot of us if I say: we don't care even if he was balded. Besides, I know a lot of people who look much worse before they reached forty. I saw both shows (Omaha & Rapid City) and I enjoyed it too because it shows Elvis as a human not as a legend.

The same goes for "Elvis On Tour". Although I love to watch "Aloha" he's tame comparing to "On Tour". I know it had a lot to do with wanting to come across as a singer and entertainer more than a rocker, but still.... He looked bloated in the face (not in the body) in "On Tour" but he also had more fun. He's more alive. He has little lights in his eyes that I missed in "Aloha". His eyes lost all life there. Watching "Aloha"you can feel Elvis' depression coming up. No wonder since he filed for divorce only a couple of days before.

Maybe we should bomb EPE with requests. A petition. Letting them know that Elvis was always there for us and so EPE must be there for us and not the other way around. :angry:

Captain Elwood David
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I once read an article about five years ago which stated that the original footage of "Elvis In Concert" was in private hands. I also heard a statement that EPE didn't wish to release the footage because they wanted to protect Elvis' image. A strange thought if you realize that clips and bits of "In Concert" has been used in other documentaries.
My take on it, fwiw:

Such individuals do not truly own the material & it is rendered useless for all purposes except "private enjoyment" as a result.

If an illegal copy is worth that price of enjoyment, then more power to them. The subjective value of such copies is very fleeting, with the passage of time, as a result.

------------------

EPE commonly speaks with forked tongue. EIC footage has been used from the early 80's up until very recently on official Graceland tours & official EPE projects.

They are using it as it suits their needs & will continue to do so in the future. "Not releasing it" yet releasing it in bits-n-pieces, .......... is typical EPE fare.

EPE's story-line "today", ....... will not always remain the same. There are other examples of this as well.

Generally speaking: I tire of this topic, simply because this is not something that can be discussed in terms of typical "time-line" frames of reference. Time will eventually put to rest the perennial contentiousness of this topic - but it will be a fairly long wait until then.

- Capt. "EL."

Leroy
03-12-2005, 12:25 AM
I share your views about EPE completely. In a lot of cases they are not different from Col. Parker. His motto was; always leave them hungry for more.... And that is just what EPE has been doing for the last 25 years.

I was walking around with plans for writing a book about Elvis' wardrobe 'cause that's my specialty. But to have access to all there is you need to work with EPE and even then they won't let you see more than they want to. A good example is a book called "Elvis Fashion". It's a wonderful book and well written but I just see it as a "nice try, no cigar" for it's only scratching the surface.

In the case of EIC let's put this topic to its final resting place a let's put up a positive face towards the future. And in the meantime enjoy what we have.
In the case of EOT it's not a matter of "if" but "when". Once the EOT fever is over we can focus on the next project.

Captain Elwood David
03-12-2005, 01:26 AM
EPE - In a lot of cases they are not different from Col. Parker. His motto was; always leave them hungry for more.... And that is just what EPE has been doing for the last 25 years.
Agreed. EPE has learned well from The Master & even surpassed the Ol' Col. on some fronts.

I was walking around with plans for writing a book about Elvis' wardrobe 'cause that's my specialty. But to have access to all there is you need to work with EPE and even then they won't let you see more than they want to. A good example is a book called "Elvis Fashion". It's a wonderful book and well written but I just see it as a "nice try, no cigar" for it's only scratching the surface.
You do indeed speak the truth - on multiple levels.

Dealing with EPE can leave one with the feeling that one needs to take a quick shower afterwards.

In the case of EIC let's put this topic to its final resting place a let's put up a positive face towards the future. And in the meantime enjoy what we have.
In the case of EOT it's not a matter of "if" but "when". Once the EOT fever is over we can focus on the next project.
Once again, very much agreed.

I just get sick of hearing people say how releasing EIC will be such a monumental travesty ..... & blah, blah, blah ............... & I find it is usually the same cacophony of elitist / snobby *****s parroting it ad nauseam in The Elvis World.

Ironically, if EOT were up to EPE, I think it would have been done by now.

Patience is a virtue in The Elvis World, too. EPE has a product that they will extend for as long as possible. It is there agenda, & rightly so.

I'm honestly still quite satisfied with the '68 / Aloha Deluxe sets - very satisfied. Unfortuntely, it doesn't take very long for the fans to start screaming for what's N-E-X-T .... ?!?!

Once EOT is served up, there will quickly be another cry for something else.

.... and so it goes ..... for a long, long time .....

- Capt. "EL."

eileen
03-12-2005, 05:05 AM
II was walking around with plans for writing a book about Elvis' wardrobe 'cause that's my specialty. But to have access to all there is you need to work with EPE and even then they won't let you see more than they want to. A good example is a book called "Elvis Fashion". It's a wonderful book and well written but I just see it as a "nice try, no cigar" for it's only scratching the surface.

Yes I agree. The author had intended more with this book, however once EPE became involved they did indeed limit the scope. A gorgeous book, nicely done, however in the end more of a marketing tool for the items EPE expects to display at Graceland.

Eileen

Jumpsuit Junkie
03-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm honestly still quite satisfied with the '68 / Aloha Deluxe sets - very satisfied. Unfortuntely, it doesn't take very long for the fans to start screaming for what's N-E-X-T .... ?!?!

Once EOT is served up, there will quickly be another cry for something else.

.... and so it goes ..... for a long, long time .....

- Capt. "EL."

There will always be those who want more, unfortunately EPE prey on the hard core fans to earn their living, when they do eventually release material it does very well in fact the 68 Special and Aloha are still in the DVD charts in the UK.

EPE will not release EOT until they have completely drainned the last dregs out of the market.

In all honesty over the last few years we have been spoilt with FTD releases, chart singles and DVD's and this has lead to people expecting more now than we have recieved in the last 20 odd years. EPE will want to draw out releases to create the demand.

Matt

Captain Elwood David
03-12-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm not so sure that only the hardcore fan base is of primary importance to EPE, but it does comprise a decent chunk of their concerns (& rightly so) from time to time.

-------------

Regarding EOT: It is out of EPE's hands & they actually would like to see it released / updated / deluxified, etc. (as hard as that is to believe & keeping in mind that EPE does - as a standard - speak with forked tongue for different reasons at different times).

- Capt. "EL."

SuspiciousMinds
03-15-2005, 08:44 AM
I poped this show in my DVD player a few days ago, and I was amazed how he could be in such a good mood for a guy that looked like he should be in bed resting because of the bad shape he was in...

Most of us would be in a miserable mood if we were dealing with health problems to that extent..

Cryogenic
03-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I think he had started suffering from glaucoma at that point, was pale, appeared to be sweating more than usual and was slightly bloated/overweight... but I believe Elvis was still doing alright for himself and not afflicted by any major health problems. That said, his personal problems - and almost certainly his drug problems, too - do seem to be affecting his stage manner and performance by the time of "Aloha From Hawaii". Leroy is bang on about his eyes, too! (You don't even need to watch the main concert, either; if you've ever seen any photographs of him inside the helicopter prior to greeting fans, his eyes look tired and vacant). Anyone know any better...?

From the bits and pieces I've seen/heard, Elvis was in fantastic vocal shape for EOT, too. He sounds a little hoarse and dry in parts of TTWII, but by the time of EOT, it seems like he has grown into his new vocal sound and become more at ease with his 70s stage format and song selections.

richardo316
03-15-2005, 07:33 PM
i'd be surprised tosee a dvd release of elvis in concert but think a double cd will happen soon. as for eot i strongly believe that it will happen within the next few years hopefully sooner