14. Early morning rain
15. What'd I say
16. Johnny B. Goode
17. Drum solo by Ronnie Tutt
18. Fender bass solo by Jerry Scheff
19. Piano solo by Tony Brown
20. I really don't want to know
21. Electric piano solo by Bobby Ogdin
22. Joe Guercio Orchestra solo (Jazzin' In Vegas)
23. Hurt
24. Hound dog
25. Can't Help Falling In Love
26. Closing riff

Label: A.J. Records CD 92-2002
Released: 1993
Sound quality: very good (audience recording)

Date: June 26, 1977

Jumpsuit: Mexican Sundial Suit

Reviews: n/a
Pictures: yes (from the collection of kennyelvis)

Albert
05-16-2004, 02:38 AM
http://www.tcb-world.com/files/listen.gif Audiosamples:

Stefan Kock
05-16-2004, 03:52 AM
I too really love this concert guys!! Albert, this version of Bridge Over Troubled Water is one I rank as one of the absolute best he ever did and I still get goosebumps allover when the crowd goes wild....you really can feel the love and appriciation from those 18.000 in attendance. Also I like to point out the ending of Hurt: unbelieveble strong.

@Mike: indeed the performance of I Can?t Stop Loving You is quite THE surprise of the evening. He hadn?t sung that song since June 1st 1975 and even though it was slowed down considerably he does remember it quite well and performs a great version :clap:

peter
05-17-2004, 06:13 AM
I think that best moment of this show was Bridge Over Troubled Water!!! He sung it best than I ever heard! His vocal shape was great but still he was far under his best form (Aloha).... But GREAT Adios for audience and fans!

Lonniebealestreet
05-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Surprise, surprise: I love it too! I really don't think it's just about me being sentimental or anything like that. It is a great show, any way you slice it.

As far as sound quality goes, I think it is the best audience recording out there. Unchained Elvis is a little bit clearer, which is most likely due to its being recorded in a very small venue. This one has big arena sound, an awesome vibe from the audience, and it's in stereo! I don't have this on CD (mine's cassette), but I too was amazed by the sound on the VCD when I first played it.

Although I am a big fan of the EIC material, as has been said, this concert is much better than those shows. Stefan, good call on the ending of Hurt! It is truly my favorite version of the song. Fairytale--another winner, way, way better than the performance given 1 week prior. No comparison really. (What's my signature say?) Release Me also must be mentioned, being another rarity.

Well, I'm not offering much new here. :bash: I shoulda just said, Amen! (y)

Jungleroom76
05-17-2004, 04:43 PM
This is a FANTASTIC concert, in my opinion (and not just because I am a HUGE fan of Elvis in 1977)!! ;)

Not only does Elvis look better than he did in the footage shot for ELVIS IN CONCERT, but his voice sounds stronger than ever! And, he even managed to dig into the archives and pull out songs like BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER and I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU, songs which were quite rare for a 1977 show!! Although this show is not a soundboard recording, it is one of the better audience recordings that I have heard!

Listening to this show, it is SO hard to believe that Elvis would pass away just weeks later!! :cry:

Definitely one of the imports that any Elvis fan, whether new to import collecting
or a seasoned collector, should have in their collection!

TCB!
Mikev

peter
05-18-2004, 09:28 AM
I think that FTD should release it! It was historic moment in music history and Elvis played for around 75 mins and his show was really very good!

Sonny
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
It's a very good concert, much better than one should expect, considering other June shows like f.i. Omaha.

Not just the songs are so great, but Elvis also seemed in a very good mood that evening!

Could that perhaps be because he knew it was the last show of the Tour?

Albert, the jumpsuit of course was the Sundail Suit.

Bye,
Sonny

NightRider
05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Great Show...as has already been said one of the better audience recordings.

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned the book too.....thats great also...even if the pictures are mostly black and white.

I'm not sure it actually came with the cd but i always assumed so as thats how i got mine (y)

Jungleroom76
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by peter@May 18 2004, 04:28 PM
I think that FTD should release it! It was historic moment in music history and Elvis played for around 75 mins and his show was really very good!
I would be REALLY surprised if FTD doesn't release this show at some point down the road Peter!

Just as you pointed out, not only is it a great show from '77, but it is an historic show as well!

Fans just need to be patient on this one....but I have a feeling that they will eventually get around to releasing this one on FTD!

TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
05-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Hadn't seen those before, Peter. Very nice, especially that first one. (y) You don't see too many pics with Larrie Londin in them either.

Mike, when you say you believe FTD will eventually release this show, is it that you have in mind that one of these years they will shell out the dough for the soundboard, or acquire the audience recording(s)?

Of course, The Last Show (isn't that the best-sounding recording of the show?) is fantastic as far as audience recordings go, superior, I believe, to the John Herman tape of the Pittsburgh show. But personally I'd be very surprised if they do another release like New Years Eve. JMHO.

NightRider
05-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@May 25 2004, 04:54 PM
Of course, The Last Show (isn't that the best-sounding recording of the show?) is fantastic as far as audience recordings go, superior, I believe, to the John Herman tape of the Pittsburgh show. But personally I'd be very surprised if they do another release like New Years Eve. JMHO.
:bash: Sadly...i'd have to agree Bobby,

I think its highly unlikely this will appear on the FTD label...though its a great idea...and would be welcomed by many, even if BMG wouldn't think so.

Keith F
05-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by NightRider@May 26 2004, 07:46 PM
I think its highly unlikely this will appear on the FTD label...though its a great idea...and would be welcomed by many, even if BMG wouldn't think so.
I don't think BMG / FTD would be against releasing this show, they've already released "Spring Tours", and of course the audience recording from Pittsburgh on "New Years Eve" but it just seems that EPE are dead against releasing anything from 1977, which is a real shame

Keith

NightRider
05-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Keith F+May 26 2004, 11:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Keith F @ May 26 2004, 11:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NightRider@May 26 2004, 07:46 PM
I think its highly unlikely this will appear on the FTD label...though its a great idea...and would be welcomed by many, even if BMG wouldn&#39;t think so.
it just seems that EPE are dead against releasing anything from 1977, which is a real shame

Keith [/b][/quote]
Yes...that was my point Keith...77 is almost a swear word as far as they are concerned. :blink:

Yes, they did release Spring Tours...which was great...but maybe it was done as a &#39;right thats &#39;77 out of the way...that will keep the fans happy&#39; and i just can&#39;t see them releasing a full show from &#39;77. :bash:

I hope that i am wrong mind you ;)

Jungleroom76
05-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by lonniebealestreet@May 25 2004, 04:54 PM
Mike, when you say you believe FTD will eventually release this show, is it that you have in mind that one of these years they will shell out the dough for the soundboard, or acquire the audience recording(s)?

Well buddy, since the precedent has been set in terms of FTD releasing audience recordings for "historical value" as in the case of NEW YEAR&#39;S EVE, I would have to say that FTD would probably use the audience recording of the Indianapolis show, if/when they release it on the FTD label. I just can&#39;t see FTD shelling out that kind of money to buy a soundboard recording of the show...especially when I am sure that a copy of this show in soundboard quality would probably sell for mega &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;, given the historic nature of the show itself&#33;

And NightRider, you are RIGHT ON about "1977" being a forbidden topic in the eyes of EPE&#33;&#33;&#33; As I said in a previous post, the ONLY reason us fans were treated to the SPRING TOURS &#39;77 release is because RCA/FTD has the final say in terms of what they release as they own the rights to the music&#33; Obviously EPE has some say in what music is/isn&#39;t released, but I don&#39;t think they can stop RCA/FTD from releasing something just because they don&#39;t like it...and that is because RCA/FTD owns the rights to the music&#33; As we have discussed before....in EPE&#39;s eyes, Elvis&#39; career basically didn&#39;t exist after ALOHA FROM HAWAII...which is VERY frustrating, since Elvis recorded some FANTASTIC music post-Aloha&#33;&#33; :bash:

And I also have to agree with NightRider in that SPRING TOURS &#39;77 was probably a "stopgap" for the fans to keep everyone happy, so FTD wouldn&#39;t continue to be deluged with requests for 1977 material. Although I do have to say that I can see FTD releasing a complete show from 1977....it&#39;s probably not high up on their priority list, but I can see it happening....and I really wouldn&#39;t be shocked at all if that complete show from &#39;77 turns out to be the Indianpolis show&#33;

THANKS FOR THE GREAT PHOTOS PETER&#33;&#33;&#33; (y)

TCB&#33;
Mike

Albert
05-27-2004, 04:09 AM
I think that the soundquality of "Adios, The Final Performance" is much better than "The Impossible Dream". This audience recording is a much more pleasant hearing experience than that narrow-soundboard sound of "The Impossible Dream".

FTD only needs to borrow this CD, make nice artwork for it and release it. There are plenty of people that doesn&#39;t own this import CD. And although I already own this CD, I&#39;d buy it rightaway when it would be released (untouched) on the FTD label.

Bring it on (y)

NightRider
05-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Albert@May 27 2004, 11:09 AM
I think that the soundquality of "Adios, The Final Performance" is much better than "The Impossible Dream". This audience recording is a much more pleasant hearing experience than that narrow-soundboard sound of "The Impossible Dream".

FTD only needs to borrow this CD, make nice artwork for it and release it. There are plenty of people that doesn&#39;t own this import CD. And although I already own this CD, I&#39;d buy it rightaway when it would be released (untouched) on the FTD label.

Bring it on (y)
You sure got that right Albert :cheers:

paulsweeney
11-22-2004, 08:57 PM
A great show from 1977 that should be in the hands of as many fans as possible - through FTD or otherwise - and I'm still praying for it in soundboard :clap:

Mr. Songman
11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
FTD will eventually release this show. I have an article (and if I can find it, I'll post it) where Ernst says that he has been in contact with the person who recorded the show and he is very interested in turning it into an FTD. It is the actual tape of the show which of course, is a first generation recording. This show being released on FTD is a very good possibility because discussions are going on as we speak. We may have it on FTD sooner than we think. Here is a review of this show from an Indianapolis newspaper from June 27, 1977.

This article originally appeared in The Indianapolis News on June 27, 1977.

Elvis Presley led another crowd of screamers into bananaland last night during his concert in Market Square Arena and the question is why?

Not necessarily why do fans still go bonkers over the 42-year-old legend, but why does Presley still continue to tour?

He obviously doesn't need the money. He apparently doesn't care about the way his concerts are packaged either.

Before the Elvis eccentrics start scrambling through cluttered desk drawers for stationery, it should be made clear here that Presley is not entirely at fault with his concert format.

Compared to today's increasingly competitive and sophisticated concert formats for the top-dollar performer, Presley's has become downtight tacky and outdated. Last night's lighting was only adequate and the sound was poor compared with some of today's top national tours.

The Presley concert is like a sideshow with its warmup group fluff. It's like waiting through the sword-swallower and the fire-eater before seeing the REAL attraction in the back room.

Prior to Presley's appearance shortly after 10 o'clock (to the oversused "Also Sprach Zarathrusa" theme) the audience had to sit through nearly an hour of warmup waste -- a brass group ("direct from Las Vegas," no less) called Joe Guercio and the Hot Hilton Horns; a gospel quartet, J.D. Sumners and the Stamps; a comedian, Jack Kahanne, and a soul trio, the Sweet Inspirations.

Not that the warmups lacked talent, but there was an overwhelming sigh of disappointment when it was announced there would be an intermission.

When you pay $15 to see Elvis, you should see Elvis for 3 hours instead of 1 hour, 20 minutes. If Elvis can't go the distance then his people shouldn't charge so much.

The souvenir hawking should embarrass Presley, too. A guy actually came on the P.A. three times and urged the crowd to visit the souvenir stands. He even listed the prices. The vendors in the crowd sounded as if they were hawking balloons at a circus.

With a waistline of 42 inches, Presley may not be able to move like he used to, but the man can sing when he tries. Twice last night he did it magnificently, especially on "Hurt," when he made a serious effort to reach some difficult notes. He sang his heart out again on Paul Simon's "Bridge Over Troubled Water," but for some reason had to read the lyrics from a sheet.

He did approximately 20 numbers if you want to count the quickies. Sure, he's done these songs thousands of times over his 24-year career, but some ticket buyers were seeing them done for the first time. Presley didn't take enough of the singing business seriously.

It's time ardent Presley fans quit protecting their idol and start demanding more. They know "the King" can do better.

It's rather ironic that Presley closed his tour in the arena last night, while Chicago will open its in the same hall tonight, beginning at 8.

The group's summer tour will debut here with a new stage and some never-heard-before numbers from the coming Chicago XI album, which should be released in August.

"Indianapolis is in effect our guinea pig," said James Pankilow, group singer and trombone player. "We'll be trying our new stage and new material all on the same night. We'll have to be on our toes. No more habits to lay back on.

"We're using very sophisticated lighting effects -- probably three times the lighting we had last summer (when the group played at the State Fair). You'll definitely notice a brilliance and luster in the lighting and in the special effects our fans haven't seen us use before."

Tickets at $6, $7 and $8 will be on sale at the arena box office up until showtime.

AKing
11-22-2004, 10:08 PM
I have been reading this posting with much interest. I know for a fact that if FTD are talking with the owner of the master tape they probably are talking to the wrong person. The concert was taped by Rex Martin (Elvis worldwide News service Weekly) He was using my fathers stereo tape machine. My father had the original cassette that was recorded on his machine by Rex.
Unfortunely my father died 2 years ago this month and I now own the tape.
I would say that FTD might be talking to someone with a good copy, but I have the master cassette and nobody's talking to me.
Or maybe there was more than one person taping that night in which case there are two masters from different seats! Who knows for sure. (h)

Mr. Songman
11-22-2004, 10:11 PM
I have been reading this posting with much interest. I know for a fact that if FTD are talking with the owner of the master tape they probably are talking to the wrong person. The concert was taped by Rex Martin (Elvis worldwide News service Weekly) He was using my fathers stereo tape machine. My father has the original cassette that was recorded on his machine by Rex.
I would say that FTD might be talking to someone with a good copy, but I have the master cassette and nobody's talking to me. (h)

With 18,000 people in attendance, I think it is safe to say that the show was recorded by more than one person. However, you do have a collectors item and you should cherish it.

AKing
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
I do cherish the memories of both my father and the many items I inherited from him. as for your point it is a good one. let's hope somewhere along the way a nice CD is officially relased no matter what the source!
Adios!
A King :D

Albert
11-23-2004, 02:17 AM
I do cherish the memories of both my father and the many items I inherited from him. as for your point it is a good one. let's hope somewhere along the way a nice CD is officially relased no matter what the source!
Adios!
A King :D

Then you must be dutch :D. Because on the recordings of Indianapolis ?nd Cincinatti you can hear dutch people talking very clearly.

Let's hope FTD can get in touch with you so that we finally have this show released the proper way (and in the best possible soundquality).

AKing
11-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Nope i'm Not Dutch.
A King

Sonny
11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
It's great you own this particular piece of history!

Like Albert said: the RCA people somehow should get in touch with you.

How is the quality of your copy?
Is it better than the already released audience recording?

Sonny

Lonniebealestreet
11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Fantastic, AKing! Would I be correct in assuming you've had it transferred to a digital format? I'm not asking for a CD; I'm just thinking with preservation in mind.

Very cool to own such a thing, I would think. (y)

Captain Elwood David
11-24-2004, 12:07 AM
AKing -

Interesting thread.

If your copy is of what you consider HIGH EXCELLENT quality & a "Master Copy" (so to speak), ............. don't wait for RCA / BMG (aka: Ernst & Co.) to contact you -----------> you should contact them pronto.

Much agreed, ....... cool item to have.

- Capt. "EL."

elvis1970nl
02-09-2005, 06:50 AM
I know I am goin off topic a little bit now, but I wanna share my view on this cd if you don't mind.

Adios, the final performance (Mystery train/AJ records)

On June the 26th 1977 Elvis planned to give his last performance of the Sundial tour in Indianapolis, but it turned out to be his final concert ever instead.

Compared to earlier concerts that month, as seen and heard on the NBC television special "Elvis in concert", this show can be considered as one of the better ones of 1977.

Elvis sounds inspired and he even has the strength to hit the higher notes well when he cries out "Hurt".

The program of this show looks familiar with "C.C. Rider", "I got a woman/Amen", Teddy bear/Don’t be cruel", the throw away done 50’s songs etcetera, but there are a few surprises as well. How often did Elvis please the audience with "Please release me", "I can’t stop loving you" and "Bridge over troubled water" in 1977? Indeed, rare treats and therefore I would say that the King said "Adios" to his followers in style that evening. The irony of it all is that Elvis sounds like if he knew that this was going to be his last performance. Just listen how extensive he talks to the crowd before he starts "Can’t help falling in love" and you know what I am trying to tell you.

The original cd comes with some nice artwork and the sound quality is pretty good for an audience recording. These days we are a little spoiled with all those great soundboard recordings, but when "Adios" was released in the early 90’s we were less familiar with great sounding live shows. Fans who know the cd "The last farewell" sure were happy when "Adios" saw the light.

Anyway, I can recommend this cd to all fans, even to the general public. Until RCA finally decides to release this show in a better quality I will treasure it!

Matt
03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I think this without a doubt one of the best concerts from Elvis' final tour. The sound is alot better than what I was expecting since there was so many fans on-line saying that the sound was horrible, through out the years. But when I finally got a copy of this show I was surprised that it sounded so good. I to have this concert on vcd and I think it sounds just as great on the vcd as it does on the cd. Even though I do have my doubts about the footage on the vcd because I have heard from people that it's just bits and pieces of concerts from his final tour with only a few minutes of the actual one from Indy

elvis fan 1976
12-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Is there a site where i can this cd??:hmm:

ELV1S
01-20-2006, 07:01 AM
I must say in my opinion, the best show of 1977, the audience recording to me is fantastic sound quality.

You can really hear the atmosphere of the crowd and when 2001 bangs out, they all get very excited and I kinda wish I was sitting in that audience, it gives you goosebumps everytime.

A massive applause echoes around the stadium when Elvis walks out on stage and as soon as Elvis sings 'Oh See, See See Rider' the crowd goes even more wild and its like it all through the show, absolutley amazing.

I urge any fan who doesnt have this release to try and get hold of a copy ASAP.

Menwithbrokenhearts
05-08-2006, 01:21 AM
I just happened on this thread and it is so good to see so many people who agree that this is a fantastic show!(y)

I have been telling people for a long time that his performance of " Bridge Over Troubled Water" is worth owning it for alone. Elvis really put his heart into alot of the performances this night. Rare songs, great dialogue and interaction and a good sounding audience recording of the last time Elvis was on stage. What is there not to like. Historic and entertaining.

I truly hope FTD puts this one out. If not, I am glad the cd and the vcd are available. THey are worth owning.(y)

AKing - any news on RCA/BMG contacts? And, how is your recording compared to this one? Hope you are still on here....

side note - It does seem like he doesn't want to leave, sort of hang out for a while. Kind of sad. :'( I think the reviewer that wrote that article might be eating his words now.....:blush: :blink:

memphis 77
02-11-2007, 08:48 PM
this cd is an old chestnut that i keep comming back to, especially to hear bridge...i think a much better version here than that from deluth[a show i attended], also when watching the film of this show [his last] he sure put on a great one , and left us one of his last great attempts at getting back in the groove,, this cd is a definite must for completists and fans alike, i'm sure you'll enjoy the show from begining to end- lets just hope tony gets it right-lol/(y)

elvis himselvis
02-12-2007, 08:12 AM
I don't have this CD as copy but i can get one...
Is the Sound OK?

toffe
05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
if i am right it was not Ronnie Tutt on drums on the 3 last shows, it was Larrie Londin ?, who was also drumming on Elvis`s 1 Tour i 1976....

Marlena
07-31-2007, 12:47 AM
A great show from 1977

Marlena
07-31-2007, 03:50 AM
The last farewell, the grand goodbye, this is Elvis Presley's last 71 minutes on a stage. One of the most influential and incredible performers of the 20th century sings his final nineteen songs for an adoring and supportive audience of 18,000 in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Market Square Arena, June 26, 1977. It's a sobering, melancholy experience.

rawkinlvs
09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
while a great cdto have for historic reasons , the show was proof enough that E.P. was tired and was also happy that the tour came to an end, i'd have to disagree about bridge... being one of the best versions ever , and forget about release me[he just isn't with it] right from the start you sense that he is exaughsted, i attende and filmed 44 minutes of this show and i was really dissapointed with the whole show -it was a throw away, even hurt was lacklustre.

rawkinlvs
09-10-2007, 11:02 AM
one minor note , tutt was not present at this show , it was larry london on drums.

elvis fan 1976
10-02-2007, 06:30 PM
I just got my copy from an Elvis insider today it is GREAT! (y) (y)

ZekeLovesElvis
11-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Where are these imports available? How does one find them?

Unchained Melody
07-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Now you can get this on the new 2 CD The Final Farewell in much better sound!!(y)

beckelvis
08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I think is fantastic,his voice and his courage were stronger than ever for the best show of my life, itīs hard to belive what would happend when you listen to such a force,think that is inmortal,and so is that ELVIS lives in our hearts

Johnny2523
10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Super Cool! Yay

lvs2day
11-14-2008, 11:02 AM
i believe ftd was talking to a person who owned the soundboard tape of the show but the price he wnats for it was to high and talks between the two stalled , i believe ein had this interview with jorgensen on their site .

easyrider
01-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Great show!!!!!!

rex martin
08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I have been reading this posting with much interest. I know for a fact that if FTD are talking with the owner of the master tape they probably are talking to the wrong person. The concert was taped by Rex Martin (Elvis worldwide News service Weekly) He was using my fathers stereo tape machine. My father had the original cassette that was recorded on his machine by Rex.
I would say that FTD might be talking to someone with a good copy, but I have the master cassette and nobody's talking to me.
Or maybe there was more than one person taping that night in which case there are two masters from different seats! Who knows for sure. (h)

THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
PAUL KING COULDN'T HAVE GIVEN ME HIS TAPE DECK.
REASON
I DIDN'T GO ON THE LAST TOUR OR LAST SHOWS.

THE LAST ELVIS TOUR I WAS ON
was MARCH 1977, NORMAN Ok., ALEXANDRA ...

I do have an Orig. tape of Indianapolis (and Cincinatti)
which was given to me by John Brus, the Dutch FC President of
ITS ELVIS TIME.

Paul probably got a copy of this tape from me back then.... (REX)

SweetCaroline
08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
REASON

ITS ELVIS TIME.

Thank you for the clarification, Rex. (y)(y)(y)

Unchained Melody
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
REASON

ITS ELVIS TIME.

Very cool stuff REX

Unchained Melody
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
With 18,000 people in attendance, I think it is safe to say that the show was recorded by more than one person. However, you do have a collectors item and you should cherish it.

I just wish it was out on Soundboard sometime!!(y)(y)(y)

Mr.TCB
11-25-2009, 06:47 PM
The concert itself is just ok. It's good to hear

thunderball1963
01-14-2010, 01:51 AM
a must for every collection. (y)