PDA

View Full Version : Colonel Parker Managed Elvis’ Career, but Was He a Killer on the Lam?

nolvis
06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history/2012/02/colonel-parker-managed-elvis-career-but-was-he-a-killer-on-the-lam/

This is an interesting part of the story, as far as his military service:

Indeed, Parker’s brief military career had ended in ignominy. In 1932, he had gone absent without leave and served several months in military prison for desertion. He was released only after he had suffered what his biographer Alanna Nash terms a “psychotic breakdown.” Diagnosed as a psychopath, he was discharged from the Army. A few years later, when the draft was introduced during the World War II, Parker ate until he weighed more than 300 pounds in a successful bid to have himself declared unfit for further service.

Kajo
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Nothing surprisingly. Never liked that old carny and yes he was a real psychopath nothing new about that. :angry: (n)

KPM
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Parker-man of mystery, man of control, man of deception.

nolvis
06-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Thank's a lot for the responses!:king:

Brian
06-05-2013, 09:54 PM
there isn't a shred of evidence that Parker killed anyone.

He was never suspected by the police.

Alanna Nash needs to quit peedling theories.

debtdbruno
06-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Parker-man of mystery, man of control, man of deception.

wasn't he just?........;);)

Snake Eyes
06-06-2013, 02:59 AM
That was a very interesting article, thanks Nolvis.

How many people were fooled by the painted sparrows? You couldn't make that stuff up!

Also interesting to me at least, is the fact he read palms. I knew he was a carny, but it reminded me of a conversation I've had with another member here about his ability to read people and their "tells". He liked a bit of control did the Colonel.

As for the unsolved murder, no proof!

Diane
06-06-2013, 04:49 AM
He murdered Elvis' career that's for sure...couldn't guess about the rest.

nolvis
06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
You're welcome Snake Eyes!:king:

nolvis
06-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Elvis became the greatest ever, even with the "Colonel" infiltrating his way into his life!!!!!:king:

nolvis
06-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Elvis became the greatest ever, even with the "Colonel" infiltrating his way into his life!!!!!:king:

ELVIS_
06-06-2013, 10:03 PM
If you guys knew what went into training them animals in the Carnival, it would be of no surprise that The Colonel had no remorse for human nature.
I truly believe that if Elvis' mother had lived longer, The Colonel would have been gone by 1962 but the Colonel had all the connections Elvis needed in the early 50s., after King Creole and the military complex promo of having Elvis drafted, that was enough of him. After Follow That Dream, it would have been nice to see Elvis in more movies like, King Creole.
The quote from Diane from what facts show us is true. "He murdered Elvis' career" and Elvis' music & acting career was his life.

Turbo
06-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Thank you so much Nolevis, for an interesting article and I really appreciate your intentions to share.

We can discuss such things as fair minded people.

However, referring to the article as I play Devil's Advocate - the sources such as Albert Goldman (I'm not fussed on Alanna Nash, either) and re-writes from other people's books that perhaps don't have reliable sources - my opinion is that all that is said about the Colonel appears to be groundless at this stage with non-factual hearsay and circumstantial evidence.

Very unfair.

Turbo
06-06-2013, 10:47 PM
If you guys knew what went into training them animals in the Carnival, .

Terrible stuff - Good on the lions for attacking the trainers, as long as the lions aren't hurt!

nolvis
06-07-2013, 01:33 AM
If you guys knew what went into training them animals in the Carnival, it would be of no surprise that The Colonel had no remorse for human nature.
I truly believe that if Elvis' mother had lived longer, The Colonel would have been gone by 1962 but the Colonel had all the connections Elvis needed in the early 50s., after King Creole and the military complex promo of having Elvis drafted, that was enough of him. After Follow That Dream, it would have been nice to see Elvis in more movies like, King Creole.
The quote from Diane from what facts show us is true. "He murdered Elvis' career" and Elvis' music & acting career was his life.

From everything that I've heard, Elvis' mother did not trust or like Mr. Parker.:king:

nolvis
06-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Thank you so much Nolevis, for an interesting article and I really appreciate your intentions to share.

We can discuss such things as fair minded people.

However, referring to the article as I play Devil's Advocate - the sources such as Albert Goldman (I'm not fussed on Alanna Nash, either) and re-writes from other people's books that perhaps don't have reliable sources - my opinion is that all that is said about the Colonel appears to be groundless at this stage with non-factual hearsay and circumstantial evidence.

Very unfair.

You're welcome!:king:

Turbo
06-07-2013, 02:11 AM
From everything that I've heard, Elvis' mother did not trust or like Mr. Parker.:king:

I have read the same and can understand that. Mrs Presley's young boy, of course, she would be protective and cautious. I would be cautious, too until the Colonel proved himself to me (or not).

I am just playing Devil's Advocate for something different, lol :D

elvia7
06-07-2013, 02:29 AM

I agree with you Dee!!! No 'advocate' will not help here!

Winston
06-07-2013, 03:47 AM
... Elvis' mother did not trust or like Mr. Parker ...
That is true, but Elvis' father and Elvis himself do. We never know what happened with Elvis' career if Mr. Parker was not there. Elvis never go away from him or change his manager after Mr. Parker did the job. So why should we think about that kind?

debtdbruno
06-07-2013, 09:20 AM
I have read the same and can understand that. Mrs Presley's young boy, of course, she would be protective and cautious. I would be cautious, too until the Colonel proved himself to me (or not).

I am just playing Devil's Advocate for something different, lol :D

with hindsight it seems Gladys had reason to be concerned.........cant help wondering how things 'maybe' would have turned out had she lived longer

franny
06-07-2013, 09:30 AM
I never liked or trusted the Colonel. While he cared about Elvis in his way as the MM have said. He loved money more and kept Elvis locked in that crazy movie contract. And why didn't he ever have Elvis go to Europe to tour?

franny

Winston
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
... wondering how things 'maybe' would have turned out had she lived longer ...
It is widely known what she wants. Elvis should marry, work as a electrician and have babies. Is that what you want?

... He loved money ... kept Elvis locked in that crazy movie contract ... didn't he ever have Elvis go to Europe to tour ...
Elvis loved money too. That is no reason to dislike him. The movies make money and Elvis did not have to undersign the contract. He was no child franny. Do you think that? The problem with the tours have we make to a subject in another thread.

debtdbruno
06-07-2013, 02:33 PM
It is widely known what she wants. Elvis should marry, work as a electrician and have babies. Is that what you want?

Elvis loved money too. That is no reason to dislike him. The movies make money and Elvis did not have to undersign the contract. He was no child franny. Do you think that? The problem with the tours have we make to a subject in another thread.

I don't think he should have given it up and followed what she wanted for him, he had a right to his own life. However, she could have had some input re- tom Parker and given advice, which I think he would have listened to....maybe gone in a different direction after the army (which imo is when he should have dumped him)

Turbo
06-07-2013, 03:32 PM
with hindsight it seems Gladys had reason to be concerned.........cant help wondering how things 'maybe' would have turned out had she lived longer

My gut feeling is distrust for Colonel, and then, I put another hat on, now called, as it suits me at the moment, lol, the "Business Hat".

Colonel did promote Elvis - fact.

Colonel did make Elvis an enigma - fact.

Colonel did do his job - fact.

Elvis with his incredible talent did the rest - still, in my opinion, the most respected and most incredible, gifted, talented, entertainer, of all time.

When Elvis really wanted something, he made it happen - in my opinion, fact.

(Examples of Elvis making things happen were the purchases Elvis made, against his father's advice, (i.e. the purchase of the ranch, Circle G, including the expense of buying vans and vehicles and horses for everyone to live in a commune) the women Elvis loved against the wishes of the women in the deep relationships he was already in; the prescription medication that people tried to talk him out of - those who loved Elvis altering the prescriptions to sugar tablets, he knowing and buying prescriptions from different doctors; sending Larry Geller on a plane trip, then and there, just to buy Elvis a book he wanted, all the friends and loved ones flying to different places, at great expense, just for a good meal). What wonderful times those plane trips were, what fun and good on them all!!!).

Going on the above, if Elvis really wanted something, he appeared to make it happen, of course there were circumstances, and nothing is black and white:

This was of course a different time to now, Elvis was breaking ground for the entertainers to come decades later. Elvis as a young man would have listened to the Colonel, as per his upbringing, as the Colonel, with just alone with his title (if the title is true) was raised to show respect for an older person, as did Mr and Mrs Presley show respect as per manners and the times, with Mrs Presley's radar going off, as would have mine.

Bottom line - new management was needed in the middle and end. Elvis was busy and used to the Colonel, the Colonel, of course, allegedly was holding something against Elvis so Elvis had to stay with him. Referring to what we've all read, if true, the Colonel then became too much for Elvis to stand, with Elvis thinking of replacing him along with all the other changes of employees and lifestyle in 1977.

Colonel was good to start, the change should have come earlier - this is all hindsight and what a wonderful (and useless) thing it can be.

However, those acidic books being written on the Colonel without true reference to what they state, from what I can see - that is despicable writing and behaviour and for the good of all, in my opinion, should be ignored due to the unreferenced content. Journalism such as that ruins lives (think of Lady Di and other people who have been hounded just so magazines and the like can make their millions).

Winston
06-08-2013, 01:07 AM
... he had a right to his own life ...
That is true. He has lived his life and he had a right to do it. It is not OK to blame his manager or other persons for the decisions in his life.

Winston
06-08-2013, 01:10 AM
... When Elvis really wanted something, he made it happen ...
That is the same way I think about it.

elvia7
06-08-2013, 01:39 AM

I see that you believe in destiny. Maybe you're right ..
Elvis was marked by God!

elvia7
06-08-2013, 01:44 AM
And why didn't he ever have Elvis go to Europe to tour?

franny

He could not have been an illegal immigrant. Elvis, he did not want to let go!

E.A.P.

Snake Eyes
06-08-2013, 03:40 AM
Yeah, Elvis really showed the Colonel who was boss where his wallet was concerned. Making things happen? Buying stuff, you show 'em Elvis. Cheating on the women in his life? That was Elvis showing the Colonel what was what. Fact is Elvis didn't control his own career.

As for sensationalist journalism, I never bought a paper or magazine that featured Lady Di. In the UK pretty much every single day she was front page news, she sneezed, quick stop the press! These papers and magazines would not continue if people didn't buy into the crap that is written with a moody headline that has been taken out of context.

Turbo
06-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Interview with Sonny West, what is pertinent to the subject is from 2.00 on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvE7OnUXcvQ

Snake Eyes
06-08-2013, 04:33 AM
So getting out of A Star Is Born equates to complete control of his own career? Thanks, I understand now.

debtdbruno
06-08-2013, 04:43 AM
Yeah, Elvis really showed the Colonel who was boss where his wallet was concerned. Making things happen? Buying stuff, you show 'em Elvis. Cheating on the women in his life? That was Elvis showing the Colonel what was what. Fact is Elvis didn't control his own career.

As for sensationalist journalism, I never bought a paper or magazine that featured Lady Di. In the UK pretty much every single day she was front page news, she sneezed, quick stop the press! These papers and magazines would not continue if people didn't buy into the crap that is written with a moody headline that has been taken out of context.

thats it Jen, he showed more 'initiative' over his person life....but couldn't seem to do the same with his career

Turbo
06-08-2013, 05:05 AM
The Barbra Streisand story, told by Sonny in the Youtube link supplied, is, observing how Sonny is speaking, just one example of how Elvis would handle things. In this case, it wouldn't appear that Sonny would have any ulterior motive for talking about the Colonel as he is, as he is trying to portray what happened from his personal experience, again, just using one example in a timed interview.

Quote from Sonny West's interview:

"Let me tell you something, Colonel Parker did what Elvis wanted, and the Colonel is the most maligned man I've ever seen (editted, Sonny portrays his example of the Barbra Streisand story) I got to know this man very well (editted) Everyone blames him (the Colonel) he always kept his mouth shut he never said, "hey that was Elvis' decision" he just took the heat, you know."

Full interview on Youtube link supplied earlier.

Snake Eyes
06-08-2013, 05:18 AM
The Barbra Streisand story, told by Sonny in the Youtube link supplied, is, observing how Sonny is speaking, just one example of how Elvis would handle things. In this case, it wouldn't appear that Sonny would have any ulterior motive for talking about the Colonel as he is, as he is trying to portray what happened from his personal experience, again, just using one example in a timed interview.

Quote from Sonny West's interview:

"Let me tell you something, Colonel Parker did what Elvis wanted, and the Colonel is the most maligned man I've ever seen (editted, Sonny portrays his example of the Barbra Streisand story) I got to know this man very well (editted) Everyone blames him (the Colonel) he always kept his mouth shut he never said, "hey that was Elvis' decision" he just took the heat, you know."

Full interview on Youtube link supplied earlier.

I understand your position on this and I did watch the interview. Complete control of his career simply doesn't come down to not wanting to do one film. Complete control is making every decision, understably a manager can and should advise, but Elvis was happy enough letting others make decisions for him.

Snake Eyes
06-08-2013, 05:23 AM
thats it Jen, he showed more 'initiative' over his person life....but couldn't seem to do the same with his career

Glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

Turbo
06-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Hi Snake Eyes,

I really don't have a position, although it could appear that way.

I'd like to say that I'm protective of Elvis.

However, if what has been reported on the Colonel is wrong, it isn't fair.

Snake Eyes
06-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Hi Snake Eyes,

I really don't have a position, although it could appear that way.

I'd like to say that I'm protective of Elvis.

However, if what has been reported on the Colonel is wrong, it isn't fair.

That's a big if, but a fair point.

People remember certain situations differently and sometimes with rose tinted glasses. It still doesn't change the fact that Elvis pretty much let himself be controlled to such an extent. It's either incredibly lazy or just past caring.

I'm protective of Elvis, but not to the point where I can't see the woods for the trees.

King Of The Whole World
06-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I like the Colonel's hat and cane. :D

Diane
06-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Elvis was not an emotionally strong person, but then where would he get it?...neither parent was not did it seem was the rest of his family. He was conditioned to that from the day he was born. The only thing he was constant with was singing. That was bred into his soul.

Winston
06-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Whoever told Elvis that he should think twice about "A Star Is Born" has make a good job. I don't think that this movie was good for his image. I am also happy that he lost his interest in that silly Karate-movie.

KPM
06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Parker promoted Elvis-but had no respect for his creative talent nor need to be around good talented creative people.
Parker made Elvis an enigma-but isolated him, kept him......contributed to the creative boredom that gave Elvis too much time on his hands to find less creative productive ways to fight that boredom and stagnation.
Parker did his job-yes and the probate judge who looked over contracts all the way back to 1956 said Parkers negotiations were tainted with conflict of interest and many were tilted toward Parker making more than Elvis-he ordered the estate to sue Parker to negate the contract Parker signed with Vernon the day after Elvis died. Parker was during various time periods a paid "consultant" to MGM, Paramount, RCA etc.....all the while negotiating contracts with those places for Elvis....the RCA deals were flagrant in conflict of interest according to the probate judge who handled the will in 77.
The fact is Parker had trouble with every artist he handled-Eddy Arnold fired him because he felt the Colonel was less than honest and not listening to Arnold.......Tommy Sands mother fired Parker because she felt Parker was too controlling in every aspect of Sands life and too sneaky-Sands was not of legal age and Parker stayed fired........Country legend Hank Snow was in business with Parker and hated Parkers guts because the Elvis deal was suppose to be a part of their business-nothing in writing-and Parker did not honor their private conversations and deals....Snow never had a kind word for Parker after 1956.

The fact is Parkers own name for himself-was the "Snowman" he loved the fact that he could manipulate/control people without them even seeing it.....that speaks volumes about him IMO

Brian
06-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Elvis should have fired Parker around 1964 or disagreed a lot more with him.

It is rare in showbusiness for actors, singers or comedian's to stay with one agent throughout their careers.

If you read the Hollywood trade papers it is constantly being reported that some actor has just fired his agent and is changing representation.

Often times the agent is doing a decent job but the actors or singers still fire them and get someone else.

For the Colonel Parker/Elvis partnership 8-9 years was enough.

If Elvis hadn't of died Colonel Parker probably would have still managed him for 2 or 3 more years.

vivaelvis
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Parker was a backstabbing lying conniving conman and thief who pretty much had Elvis from the start. He knew that if Elvis ever tried to leave him that he would take (Elvis) down with him. Elvis tried to part ways with the Colonel on a few occasions but the Colonel was always two steps ahead of him with his own set of lawyers and accountants. Elvis tried to get out in 1973 following a concert in Las Vegas. Even told the Colonel "YOU'RE FIRED!" in front of witnesses. Parker then told his wife to type up his resignation but had no intentions to go that quietly. He then pointed out all the financial expenses that Elvis would owe him and it was way too much for Elvis to pay. He would have gone bankrupt trying to meet the Colonel's demands.

There's so much dirt on Parker it covers him from head to toe, and I am not referring to his burial place either. I'm talking about his secret under-the-table dealings.

vivaelvis
06-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I think the Colonel had something to do with Elvis being drafted. Timing was strange. Elvis was at the height of his career and also being investigated by the FBI. Parker probably saw that as a threat to them discovering that Parker was an illegal alien and would be deported. So he found a way to get the FBI's attention off of Elvis, by getting him drafted into the US Army. That way, FBI doesn't look any further into Elvis nor his business manager, Colonel Tom Parker.:hmm:

KPM
06-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Elvis was not unlike many young men and the draft-he got his notice that he may be called up and then he was.
It was almost second nature after WW2 that you would most likely have to do a 2 year stint in the Army...most actors, singers etc were given the option of going into a special forces unit and then being used to entertain troops, generals, promote the service-Elvis did not take that route.
I would doubt Parker could get Elvis drafted, but also the less Elvis made during that 2 year period the less Parker made and Parker was all about the money.
Parker did not want to kill the golden goose and Elvis going into the service could have killed his momentum and career-so I doubt Parker would have taken that chance just a little over 2 years into their highly profitable situation.

KPM
06-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Here is much more info in detail about the probate judge and his inquiry into Parkers deals for Elvis:
Shortly after the death of Vernon Presley 1979, Probate Judge Joseph Evans ordered an investigation into the relationship between the Presley estate and Elvis's longtime manager, Colonel Parker. On August 14, 1981, following the completion of Presley's court-appointed guardian ad litem, the Probate Court of Shelby Country, Tennessee, issued an order demanding the cessation of all payments to Col. Parker. The judge further directed the Presley estate to bring a suit against Col. Parker for improper activities related to his managerial service for both Elvis and his estate. RCA Records was to be named in the suit as Col. Parker's accomplice.
Charges were amongst other things:

1. - Creating corporate vehicles which enabled Parker to acquire and profit from
properties to which Parker was not entitled and capture income in excess of
Parker's purported contractual entitlement in the area of music publishing and
the merchandising of Elvis' name and likeness.

2. - Causing Presley, without the benefit of independent counsel or business advise,
to enter into the contracts referred above, which contracts upon information
obtained were drafted and prepared by Parker, rendering Parker's interest in
such contracts presumptively invalid under Tennessee law.

3. - Causing Presley to enter into disadvantageous contracts with third parties in
order to accommodate Parker's personal financial requirements.

4. - Misusing his position as Elvis' and later the estate's, personal manager and
fiduciary by requiring third parties interested in commerially exploiting Presley
to compensate Parker personally, which compensation was accepted and utilized
by Parker for his own personal financial gain and profit.

5. - Limiting Elvis's concert appearances to the territory of the continental US not-
withstanding the enormous demand for and financial gain to be from such
appearances worldwide, which limitation was the result of Parker's not having
secured a passport when he entered the US and his fear that, once abroad, he
would not be permitted reentry into this country.

6. - Failing to incorporate into recording contracts negotiated on Elvis' behalf any
legal protection which would enable Elvis' accounting representatives to audit
financial books and records for the purpose of verifying the accuracy of royalty
statements and payments rendered to him to Elvis' damage and detriment.

7. - Failing to provide Elvis with any tax planning to Elvis' damage and detriment......
http://www.theelvisforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=306&start=0&&view=print
The link has copies of contracts that the Judge found disturbing and examples of conflict of interest and Parkers side deals that gave him more than Elvis.

The 73 deal was especially bothersome to the judge:
After this deal Parker negotiated a new, 7-year-contract for Elvis with RCA. In additional Parker made 6 separate contracts with RCA, dated March 3, 1973. Four of this contracts would contain dubious payments for Parker. The new contract between Elvis and RCA said that following royalties paid to Elvis:
a single 10 cent, an album 50 cents and a double-album 1 dollar.............. Elvis royalties was half of the royalties that was paid for example to the
Rolling Stones, the Beatles or Elton John.

KPM
06-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Heres a link to a newspaper article from 1982 concerning the suing of Parker by the estate:
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/11/17/us/presley-estate-and-manager-reach-accord-on-payments.html

KPM
06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Brian according to this 1980 People magazine article you are correct that Priscilla (among others involved) was asking the Probate Judge to okay a deal with Parker after Vernon died-but the lawyer appointed by the court to protect the estate Mr. Tual in investigating the deal found huge problems with the deal and then turned his findings over to Judge Evans:
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20077998,00.html

....... Attorney Tual, appointed by the court to protect the interests of Presley's sole beneficiary, his 12-year-old daughter Lisa Marie, then began an investigation of the deal and concluded that Parker's cut was indefensible. "A 50 percent fee was exorbitant," the report states. "It raises the question of whether Parker has been guilty of self-dealing, of a breach of the fiduciary relationship owed to Elvis." (Most showbiz managers today earn between 10 and 25 percent.) In Tual's view, Colonel Parker—whose previous clients included Hank Snow and Eddy Arnold—was a shortsighted negotiator for Elvis and a most determined advocate for himself. As a case in point, the report cites the seven-year contract Parker negotiated with RCA Records for Elvis in 1973. It called for a flat-rate royalty of 50 cents per record sold, which meant that, as record prices rose, Elvis' royalty percentage would fall. Tual also maintains that the price Parker negotiated with RCA for Elvis' master recordings ($5.4 million) was a fraction of their worth. Parker's company, All Star Shows, split the proceeds of both deals with Presley 50-50, but when it came to merchandising Presleyana, the star got an even smaller cut. Parker held 40 percent of the stock in Boxcar Enterprises, the holding company for merchandising rights; Elvis owned 15 percent. Before August 16, 1977 Parker's share in Boxcar increased to 56 percent, with 22 percent going to the estate. Notes Tual's report: "It has not been explained why, since Elvis was the star and totally responsible for the merchandising rights, he had such an incredibly small percentage of Boxcar." The document does, however, suggest one reason: "Elvis was naive, shy and unassertive. Parker was aggressive, shrewd and tough. His strong personality dominated Elvis, his father and all others in Elvis' entourage." .....

Winston
06-10-2013, 03:57 AM
... I think the Colonel had something to do with Elvis being drafted ...
If that was so it was a good idea. Rock'n'Roll was dying at the end of the 50s. Elvis got time and comes back as a entertainer and all American boy.

... "Parker was aggressive, shrewd and tough. His strong personality dominated Elvis, his father and all others in Elvis' entourage" ...
Maybe he had go to be a politician. When he was so dominant then he has a big career there.

franny
06-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Elvis loved money, I love money and most people love money! I didn't say I dislike the Colonel because he loves money...I dislike him because he was greedy and a con man! He didn't care that Elvis was locked in a movie contract (I think for 10 years) with the movies being the same over and over again :yawn: Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy then gets girl at the end. It wasn't very creative or original and not showcasing Elvis' talents as was seen in his earlier movies. Elvis wasn't a child, but he put a lot of trust in the Colonel and when he realized what he was, he was in too deep with financial burdens and stress.

Okay, start a new thread about the problem with the tours :lol:

franny

Winston
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
... He didn't care that Elvis was locked in a movie contract ...
I think he does care. But the movies are a easy way to make money and sell soundtracks. As the movies make little money he put him to Vegas. And then Elvis was not lost in movies but he was lost in concerts. Only Elvis knows why he did the same fault again. That's so sad.

Snake Eyes
06-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Brian according to this 1980 People magazine article you are correct that Priscilla (among others involved) was asking the Probate Judge to okay a deal with Parker after Vernon died-but the lawyer appointed by the court to protect the estate Mr. Tual in investigating the deal found huge problems with the deal and then turned his findings over to Judge Evans:
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20077998,00.html

....... Attorney Tual, appointed by the court to protect the interests of Presley's sole beneficiary, his 12-year-old daughter Lisa Marie, then began an investigation of the deal and concluded that Parker's cut was indefensible. "A 50 percent fee was exorbitant," the report states. "It raises the question of whether Parker has been guilty of self-dealing, of a breach of the fiduciary relationship owed to Elvis." (Most showbiz managers today earn between 10 and 25 percent.) In Tual's view, Colonel Parker—whose previous clients included Hank Snow and Eddy Arnold—was a shortsighted negotiator for Elvis and a most determined advocate for himself. As a case in point, the report cites the seven-year contract Parker negotiated with RCA Records for Elvis in 1973. It called for a flat-rate royalty of 50 cents per record sold, which meant that, as record prices rose, Elvis' royalty percentage would fall. Tual also maintains that the price Parker negotiated with RCA for Elvis' master recordings ($5.4 million) was a fraction of their worth. Parker's company, All Star Shows, split the proceeds of both deals with Presley 50-50, but when it came to merchandising Presleyana, the star got an even smaller cut. Parker held 40 percent of the stock in Boxcar Enterprises, the holding company for merchandising rights; Elvis owned 15 percent. Before August 16, 1977 Parker's share in Boxcar increased to 56 percent, with 22 percent going to the estate. Notes Tual's report: "It has not been explained why, since Elvis was the star and totally responsible for the merchandising rights, he had such an incredibly small percentage of Boxcar." The document does, however, suggest one reason: "Elvis was naive, shy and unassertive. Parker was aggressive, shrewd and tough. His strong personality dominated Elvis, his father and all others in Elvis' entourage." .....

Thanks for this and your other posts Ken, very interesting, much of it I was completely unaware of. I'm sure it was you on another thread, who said the probate judge was an unsung hero for instigating an investigation into Parker's contracts.

Imagine if that hadn't happened. Unfortunately Elvis is the poster boy for bad management.

Donut
06-11-2013, 07:10 AM
The strange thing is that after this information saw the light a few people of Elvis' entourage still had a high opinion on Parker, like Joe Esposito and Priscilla. Priscilla attended his birthdays and even spoke at his funeral and Esposito still thinks he really loved Elvis. The Elvis' world is a strange one!

KPM
06-11-2013, 09:18 AM
The strange thing is that after this information saw the light a few people of Elvis' entourage still had a high opinion on Parker, like Joe Esposito and Priscilla. Priscilla attended his birthdays and even spoke at his funeral and Esposito still thinks he really loved Elvis. The Elvis' world is a strange one!
Well I think in his own way Parker did have an affection for Elvis...but he loved himself more and thats the difference.

poor boy
06-11-2013, 09:39 AM

It is well known that Joe Esposito was parker's spy in the Elvis camp and reported everything back to the col. How could he call himself Elvis friend and talk about how much he loved him when he found out about the one sided deals in records , merchandising , Vegas , touring and Hollywood and still defend Parker. The Col was a con artist of the highest order and worked Elvis to death. He didnt give a **** about Elvis health or long term career just the fast buck. He trapped him in Vegas on a rediculous contract to cover his gambling debts for gods sake. Joe Esposito is the only one of the Memphis Mafia who has a good word to say about him. Probably to justify his conscience for all the times he went behind Elvis back to the Col telling him Elvis private business and ensuring the Col wishes were met.

Brian
06-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Joe Esposito is the only one of the Memphis Mafia who has a good word to say about him. Probably to justify his conscience for all the times he went behind Elvis back to the Col telling him Elvis private business and ensuring the Col wishes were met.

Sonny West, Jerry Schilling and Charlie Hodge also have said nice things about the Colonel.

I've noticed that if they liked the Colonel nobody will say anything really bad about him.

If you didn't know the Colonel, disliked, or were lukewarm towards him then it is common for people to be more critical of him.

KPM
06-11-2013, 01:50 PM
The Colonel was a character....colorful flamboyant and smart...but it does not make up for his manipulations, cons, and the inexcusable negotiated contracts that had him playing both sides of the fence.
He had no real understanding of creative peoples needs or their searches for inspiration-everything was bottomline dollars and cents and how big was his cut.
He grabbed Elvis early and used his SNOWMAN abilities to keep him with the "Colonels program" ........Elvis stagnated and then got some inspiration from the 68 special (despite the common knowledge that Parker fought Elvis and Binder at every turn on every point that was not in "Colonels program guide")
Elvis returns to live performances and is on fire...for a time.......but once again Parker signs a long term deal with the International on the night of Elvis' first performance (WRONGLY feeling he must strike while the irons hot) on a table cloth with International President Alex Shoofey.
Shoofey actually told Parker to not be hasty but Parker wanted the deal quick-Shoofey felt that Parker sold Elvis way to cheaply.
Then the tours that at first inspired Elvis-but after 71 the same routes were booked, the same venues over and over.....Elvis once again stagnated.
After 73 Elvis was just creatively lost and looking for meaning to life at every turn...Parker was just looking for paydays.

poor boy
06-12-2013, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE=Brian;423655]Sonny West, Jerry Schilling and Charlie Hodge also have said nice things about the Colonel.

Jerry Schilling and Sonny West have repeatedly criticised the col and his handling of Elvis career. His locking him in bad movies , Vegas and touring the same cities year after year with no challenge which sucked the life and drive out of him.

Diane
06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Elvis loved money, I love money and most people love money! I didn't say I dislike the Colonel because he loves money...I dislike him because he was greedy and a con man! He didn't care that Elvis was locked in a movie contract (I think for 10 years) with the movies being the same over and over again :yawn: Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy then gets girl at the end. It wasn't very creative or original and not showcasing Elvis' talents as was seen in his earlier movies. Elvis wasn't a child, but he put a lot of trust in the Colonel and when he realized what he was, he was in too deep with financial burdens and stress.

Okay, start a new thread about the problem with the tours :lol:

franny

It's not surprising Elvis loved money having had little or none growing up and seeing how hard things were on his parents: and not surprising that he wanted to make life better for them and himself and probably why he was so generous to other people knowing what it was like to have to do without so much.

As so the Colonel, he didn't get that nickname "Snowman" from the heavens...he earned it. Whether he loved Elvis at all is a question. He may have gotten a kick now and then at Elvis' silly personality, but I don't think he had a "deep" love for Elvis or he would have made sure that he made the right decisions for his career and happiness which he did not. He was very self-centered and what he wanted was what he went after regardless how much it hurt his star.

Brian
06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Brian;423655]Sonny West, Jerry Schilling and Charlie Hodge also have said nice things about the Colonel.

Jerry Schilling and Sonny West have repeatedly criticised the col and his handling of Elvis career. His locking him in bad movies , Vegas and touring the same cities year after year with no challenge which sucked the life and drive out of him.

Sonny West hasn't you are probably thinking of Red West.

Jerry Schilling has talked about the things he disagreed with the Colonel about but he doesn't put the him down while doing it.

He has also spoken positively of the Colonel and he liked him personally.

What the Memphis Mafia have to say about Colonel Parker whether postive or negative doesn't matter because their opinions really don't mean squat.

Several of the Memphis mafia hated Colonel Parker as you've noted but it didn't change anything.

Winston
06-20-2013, 12:54 AM
I think all in all Elvis and Parker where a good team.

Diane
06-20-2013, 06:45 AM
In the beginning to get Elvis started off but after that Elvis should have found someone else who respected his talent and career.

franny
06-20-2013, 07:29 AM
In the beginning to get Elvis started off but after that Elvis should have found someone else who respected his talent and career.

I totally agree, Diane. In the very beginning Elvis started with Sam Phillips and not sure why Elvis didn't stay with him a little longer as I do think he was better than the Colonel. I think Elvis' career would have took off no matter who his Manager was. I just wish Elvis had someone who wasn't a greedy conman like the Colonal was. I don't know why he didn't look for someone else before signing up with the devil.

jak
06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Parker was an absolute genius in the early years.I dont think anybody could question what he did for Elvis at the start.Elvis would hav ebeen better served making a change after the army.However Elvis was very loyal.

Brian
06-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I totally agree, Diane. In the very beginning Elvis started with Sam Phillips and not sure why Elvis didn't stay with him a little longer as I do think he was better than the Colonel. I think Elvis' career would have took off no matter who his Manager was. I just wish Elvis had someone who wasn't a greedy conman like the Colonal was. I don't know why he didn't look for someone else before signing up with the devil.

We have the advantage of hindsight.

Besides i believe Parker was the only big time manager wanting to sign Elvis at that time.

Staying with Sam Phillips on a small label would have gotten him nowhere so Elvis took the opportunity to sign with a major label.

When these opportunities came along Elvis wisely took them.

KPM
06-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Besides i believe Parker was the only big time manager wanting to sign Elvis at that time.

Staying with Sam Phillips on a small label would have gotten him nowhere so Elvis took the opportunity to sign with a major label.

Elvis would have eventually signed with a new label-with or without Parker...Parker just made it happen quicker.
Parker set his sights on Elvis long before he signed him, he and Hank Snow saw that Elvis could not be followed in concerts by anyone who toured with Elvis and Parker bided his time and "helped Elvis from afar" but his plan was to show Elvis all the Colonel could do for him and then offer his exclusive services to Elvis and parents...it worked.
Snow was double crossed by Parker in the deal-but thats the wacky, con man Colonels way of doing business.

Brian
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Elvis would have eventually signed with a new label-with or without Parker...Parker just made it happen quicker.
Parker set his sights on Elvis long before he signed him, he and Hank Snow saw that Elvis could not be followed in concerts by anyone who toured with Elvis and Parker bided his time and "helped Elvis from afar" but his plan was to show Elvis all the Colonel could do for him and then offer his exclusive services to Elvis and parents...it worked.
Snow was double crossed by Parker in the deal-but thats the wacky, con man Colonels way of doing business.

In showbusiness it's not easy getting an agent they must believe that you have talent and that you could become a success.

If they don't think you have talent, will be successful or they have too many other people signed they won't represent you.

Colonel Parker seeing that Elvis had talent first and then wanted to sign him is the way it is in showbiz.

If Parker didn't come along when he did Elvis would have stayed on Sun Records for another year.

KPM
06-20-2013, 03:16 PM
In showbusiness it's not easy getting an agent they must believe that you have talent and that you could become a success.

If they don't think you have talent, will be successful or they have too many other people signed they won't represent you.

Colonel Parker seeing that Elvis had talent first and then wanted to sign him is the way it is in showbiz.

If Parker didn't come along when he did Elvis would have stayed on Sun Records for another year.
Parker was not your typical agent-he was on the cusp of being a financial "stalker" with every artist he represented in his career.
Elvis may have stayed at Sun another year-and it would not have changed things much-Elvis would have signed with a bigger record company and his exposure would have gone up-Hollywood would have still seen his face and the reaction to his performances TV and films would still have come along.
Had Elvis ended up with a "typical Hollywood type agent" it may have actually been better for him IMO.
He may have got the real acting career he wanted in the long run, he may have been allowed a little more freedom in the creative arena instead of all the "Dont's" the Colonel had in place.

Brian
06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Parker was not your typical agent-he was on the cusp of being a financial "stalker" with every artist he represented in his career.
Elvis may have stayed at Sun another year-and it would not have changed things much-Elvis would have signed with a bigger record company and his exposure would have gone up-Hollywood would have still seen his face and the reaction to his performances TV and films would still have come along.
Had Elvis ended up with a "typical Hollywood type agent" it may have actually been better for him IMO.
He may have got the real acting career he wanted in the long run, he may have been allowed a little more freedom in the creative arena instead of all the "Dont's" the Colonel had in place.

His way of finding and representing Elvis was typical other managers would have done the same thing.

I'm surprised Elvis didn't go the more traditional route of trying to find a big time agent though.

KPM
06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
His way of finding and representing Elvis was typical other managers would have done the same thing.

I'm surprised Elvis didn't go the more traditional route of trying to find a big time agent though.
I agree his way of finding Elvis was typical-his way of representing Elvis and his cut were not typical...as the probate judge pointed out in no uncertain terms.
IF Elvis had that extra year you spoke of-he surely would have ended up with a more traditional New York or LA agent-but Parker moved in so quickly Elvis did not have time to explore anyone outside of Tennesee.
Parker knew Elvis would be hot and he did not want him getting away to some big city agency-who would have taken 10 to 15% of the take with no side deals.
If Parker had been more traditional in his management I would have more respect for him-but he was anything but traditional on all fronts.

Brian
06-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I agree his way of finding Elvis was typical-his way of representing Elvis and his cut were not typical...as the probate judge pointed out in no uncertain terms.
IF Elvis had that extra year you spoke of-he surely would have ended up with a more traditional New York or LA agent-but Parker moved in so quickly Elvis did not have time to explore anyone outside of Tennesee.
Parker knew Elvis would be hot and he did not want him getting away to some big city agency-who would have taken 10 to 15% of the take with no side deals.
If Parker had been more traditional in his management I would have more respect for him-but he was anything but traditional on all fronts.

What i meant by Elvis going the traditional route is that most people that want to be in showbiz go looking for agents to represent them.

If you are very lucky and very talented some people like Elvis end up getting discovered by someone which was the case with him.

I'm actually suprised that before Parker stumbled upon Elvis he really wasn't looking for or auditioning for big time agents at the big talent agencies.

He was recording for Sun records and being booked for concerts by Bob Neal when Colonel Parker met him.

If he doesn't meet Colonel his contract with Sun Records was for three years so i think he ends up fufilling that.

I think Parker wasn't taking such a big commision in the beginning and seemed more on the level in the early years.

franny
06-20-2013, 11:18 PM

Yes, we do have the advantage of hindsight.

Really? Parker was the only big time manager wanting to sign Elvis then? I would be surprised if that was true...

Brian
06-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Yes, we do have the advantage of hindsight.

Really? Parker was the only big time manager wanting to sign Elvis then? I would be surprised if that was true...

Apparently it is true.

Remember when Parker first met Elvis it was 1955 and he still wasn't known by that many people.

And remember a lot of people that did hear him thought he was untalented because he was singing rock n' roll.

Even when RCA did sign him they didn't think he would last and that rock n' roll could very well be a fad.

At first Steve Sholes was reluctant to sign him and thought they should have signed Carl Perkins instead.

All of that is hard to imagine now but it wasn't the case then.

debtdbruno
06-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Parker was an absolute genius in the early years.I dont think anybody could question what he did for Elvis at the start.Elvis would hav ebeen better served making a change after the army.However Elvis was very loyal.

agree there(y)

Diane
06-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Apart from Hank Snow, wasn't there another singer that the Colonel managed and that singer that kicked him out because the Colonel had gone so far as to move into the singer's house? Wish I could remember who that was...maybe someone here remembers?....sorry bad with names lately.

Winston
06-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I think Tom Parker was not a bad manager for Elvis. He brings him to RCA and that was important. He make deals that make many money for Elvis and him. It is true he make also many mistakes and he is not so interest in Elvis as a artist. But we can say it now looking of the things that happened. We where not there as things happened. Who will know and say Elvis Presley was ELVIS without the decisions that Parker made.

Brian
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Apart from Hank Snow, wasn't there another singer that the Colonel managed and that singer that kicked him out because the Colonel had gone so far as to move into the singer's house? Wish I could remember who that was...maybe someone here remembers?....sorry bad with names lately.

Eddy Arnold.

I don't know exactly why they split.

KPM
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Arnold sent Parker a telegram severing all ties and telling Parker he was to make no more deals, take no more commisions, and not use Arnolds name in anyway from that point forward.
Arnold was very reluctant to say why but over the years he let out enough hints in interviews that it seems Parker was not above board in all his dealings with Eddy and Eddy caught him.
On Ralph Emerys talk show that was on TNN at one time-Arnold said he just felt like Parker had "too many irons in the fire" that Eddy did not know about and he let it go at that.
The facts are pretty plain-Parker was sneaky, manipulative, and a control freak when he managed someone...he cheated Hank Snow, he was fired by Arnold who saw thru the Colonel pretty early, he was fired by Tommy Sands and in hindsight we can all see today that he cheated Elvis.
On page 71 of Elvis Day by Day-Parker is shown to be getting 25% of all money earned by Elvis -that was the original agreement in 56.
Also if you read the history from 54 to 56 you see how Parker convinces Elvis, his parents and lastly Bob Neal (Elvis' manager before Parker) that he can help advance Elvis-and no strings attached.......then he slowly convinces Elvis and the parents that Neal is incompetent.....all the while telling Neal he is just an advisor "Neal is Elvis' personal manager" ......then later Parker becomes head of all long range planning and Neal must submit any new deals or business to Parker first...then Parker informs Neal that Parker is actually in charge and there is no longer a partnership between Neal and Parker in managing Elvis..........Neal had many meetings with Parker and he was systematically forced out by Parker but the original meeting was
Parker reassuring Neal that Parker was not out to take Neals job-but to help-CON.
Sorry from the moment I read the probate judge discussing the improprieties, legal conflicts of interest and horrid deals that Parker many times made more than Elvis from....I lost respect for his management abilities-he was out for himself...he started out with Elvis just like he did with Neal- as time went on-Parker took more and more...leaving Elvis less and less....and the worst part IMO is he helped to cut off creativity by his controlling management style.

Brian
06-21-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't think Colonel Parker taking 25% of Elvis' earnings in the early years was that bad.

Colonel Parker supposedly got 25% from his other clients on the condition that he wouldn't manage anyone else.

Regardless Colonel Parker and Eddy Arnold were together for eight or nine years and they accomplished quite a lot together.

Yeah Eddy Arnold probably got wise to Parker's ways and was much more involved in his career than Elvis was.

Parker and Eddy still remained friends and the Colonel still did some occassional bookings for him after they split.

If Elvis would have been more interested in the business aspects of his career i don't think Parker would have been able to cheat him as much later on.

KPM
06-21-2013, 01:07 PM
I don't think Colonel Parker taking 25% of Elvis' earnings in the early years was that bad.Colonel Parker supposedly got 25% from his other clients on the condition that he wouldn't manage anyone else.

Regardless Colonel Parker and Eddy Arnold were together for eight or nine years and they accomplished quite a lot together.

Yeah Eddy Arnold probably got wise to Parker's ways and was much more involved in his career than Elvis was.

Parker and Eddy still remained friends and the Colonel still did some occassional bookings for him after they split.

If Elvis would have been more interested in the business aspects of his career i don't think Parker would have been able to cheat him as much later on.
Well the probate judge cited that most entertainers pay 10-15% to their managers and was appalled that Parker was getting upwards of 50% depending on the type deal-no manager should end up with more than the artist-and in some instances that was exactly the case.......10% is actually the accepted rate for decades among legit managers...25% was uncalled for....especially now with hindsight we see how much Parker was getting in his side deals and "technical advisor and paid consultant fees"
I saw Arnold on the Tonight show in the 60s and he did not seem "friendly" toward Parker while talking with Carson-I do not recall his exact words when asked about Parker but the basic meaning I got was Parker was in the past and I don't want to discuss him.
That was the first time I realized Parker had been Arnolds manager.

Look at this from this angle-Elvis hired Parker-to protect and help him in the business end of his career from crooks and show business people to cheat him......Elvis should have not had to worry that his own manager-(who he pays to help him with the crooks who take advantage) is going to steal from him in a Stealth bomber fashion under the radar.
The point is not should Elvis have been more interested in his career (and I agree he should have been-but even if he had been he was not a business man) the point is regardless how you dissect it-Parker cheated and manipulated Elvis.
Parker became to Elvis, what Elvis had been warned by Parker to watch out for-people who say they are friends and trying to help you-but are out for themselves and will cheat steal and rob.
Parker sent Elvis a telegram in the early 70s warning him of friends who put their arms around you and want to help you....but he told Elvis to beware of them because its more what Elvis can do for them not what they can do for him... but the Colonel was always there to help.......its in the Elvis Day by Day book.
This is a prime example of Elvis was kept so unsure of himself, "trust no one" that was the 22 year message that was drilled ever so subtly into Elvis by Parker. The snow around the Colonel was so deep you could have skiied on it.

Brian
06-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Well the probate judge cited that most entertainers pay 10-15% to their managers and was appalled that Parker was getting upwards of 50% depending on the type deal-no manager should end up with more than the artist-and in some instances that was exactly the case.......10% is actually the accepted rate for decades among legit managers...25% was uncalled for....especially now with hindsight we see how much Parker was getting in his side deals and "technical advisor and paid consultant fees"
I saw Arnold on the Tonight show in the 60s and he did not seem "friendly" toward Parker while talking with Carson-I do not recall his exact words when asked about Parker but the basic meaning I got was Parker was in the past and I don't want to discuss him.
That was the first time I realized Parker had been Arnolds manager.

Colonel Parker started getting 50% in 1967 prior to that he was getting 25%.

For some agents they get 20% off some of their clients while others get 10%.

25% was a little high but it was the same thing the Colonel had gotten from Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow and unlike other managers he only managed one client at a time.

If you still think 25% was too much and Elvis shouldn't have agreed to it that's fine.

I would think Parker was getting extra money from the movie studios to be a consultant and not from Elvis' cut.

50% was outrageous Elvis should have never agreed to that.

KPM
06-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Colonel Parker started getting 50% in 1967 prior to that he was getting 25%.

For some agents they get 20% off some of their clients while others get 10%.

25% was a little high but it was the same thing the Colonel had gotten from Eddy Arnold and Hank Snow and unlike other managers he only managed one client at a time.

If you still think 25% was too much and Elvis shouldn't have agreed to it that's fine.

I would think Parker was getting extra money from the movie studios to be a consultant and not from Elvis' cut.50% was outrageous Elvis should have never agreed to that.
Snow was a partner with Parker on many projects so I would doubt Snow gave 25% to Parker but since they were partners in so many things its hard to figure where the partnership ended and his management began-and he cheated Snow-Snow hated him for the rest of his life for lying and cheating him out of his share in Elvis' management....just as he conned Neal.....sorry those are things which stand out-they show willful knowledgeable actions to one goal-sole monetary control of Elvis and his career.

Arnold fired him-that does not show confidence in his years as Arnolds manager-it shows that Arnold caught up with him.

Parker getting extra money from the studios, RCA, The Hilton Hotels etc....was on top of the money Elvis paid him as manager to negotiate contracts for Elvis with-the studios, RCA, The Hilton Hotels etc......and it is not legal-you can not represent someone in negotiations and then turn around and be a consultant to the other side......its that simple-its called conflict of interest and Parker did it all the time.
The reason its not legal is in being a "paid and perked consultant" you have a dual interest in the negotiations-because you are paid by your primary client and also paid by the firms you negotiate with for your client....its not fair to your client.
IE the firms Parker was a "paid and perked consultant" got better deals because of the financial fees paid to him as a consultant.
The judge reviewed many of those contracts and found that was the case.
The top of irony is that when the judge ordered the estate to sue Parker his first defense was that he could not be sued in a US court because he was not a US citizen-how ironic is that;)
I will say this-if Parker had really been fair to Elvis-had not manipulated and controled him so closely, and if he had negotiated with no consultant fees in his back pocket...maybe his 50% might have been warranted-but we all know that is not how Parker represented Elvis....so 50% is not just outrageous it borders on criminal.

Brian
06-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Snow was a partner with Parker on many projects so I would doubt Snow gave 25% to Parker but since they were partners in so many things its hard to figure where the partnership ended and his management began-and he cheated Snow-Snow hated him for the rest of his life for lying and cheating him out of his share in Elvis' management....just as he conned Neal.....sorry those are things which stand out-they show willful knowledgeable actions to one goal-sole monetary control of Elvis and his career.

Arnold fired him-that does not show confidence in his years as Arnolds manager-it shows that Arnold caught up with him.

i believe it was true that Hank Snow agreed on the 25% commision for Parker to manage him.

He booked Hank Snow's recording sessions, tours, and would have negotiated royalty payments with RCA and other things.

Colonel Parker and Hank Snow co-owned a booking agency in Nashville and i'm not sure how they split that money.

As i've mentioned before on this board it is rare for a singer or actor to only have one agent throughout their careers.

Maybe Eddy Arnold could have fired Parker because he wanted to go in a different direction and different managers can have some new ideas.

Eddy Arnold had a few managers over his career.

Frank Sinatra had several managers.

The Rolling Stones have had several different managers.

The list goes on.

As i've also said before Elvis probably should have been on his third manager by 1977 instead of still being managed by Parker.

Diane
06-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Eddy Arnold.

I don't know exactly why they split.

Yes that's him, thank you Brian.

KPM
06-22-2013, 03:52 PM
i believe it was true that Hank Snow agreed on the 25% commision for Parker to manage him.

He booked Hank Snow's recording sessions, tours, and would have negotiated royalty payments with RCA and other things.

Colonel Parker and Hank Snow co-owned a booking agency in Nashville and i'm not sure how they split that money.

As i've mentioned before on this board it is rare for a singer or actor to only have one agent throughout their careers.

Maybe Eddy Arnold could have fired Parker because he wanted to go in a different direction and different managers can have some new ideas.

Eddy Arnold had a few managers over his career.

Frank Sinatra had several managers.

The Rolling Stones have had several different managers.

The list goes on.

As i've also said before Elvis probably should have been on his third manager by 1977 instead of still being managed by Parker.
Yes ....may...be...but given that the firing was so abrupt, so quick, and the firing was not in anyway cordial or a mutual parting at the time don't you think thats very doubtful?
Also the track record of Parker in hindsight-it shows a path of dishonest and not very moral behavoir in his dealings.
Put 2 and 2 together and I think its a safe bet that Parker just was not able to hide the questionable things from Arnold-and Arnold was a much firmer man than Elvis-so he fired him.
Elvis trusted the Colonel unquestionably for most of their association-Arnold did not...thats the difference.

franny
06-25-2013, 11:00 AM

I totally agree with what you said, KPM. (y) This is why I don't understand why Elvis didn't just stay with Sun a little longer. And it's funny that Vernon, who didn't really trust many people, trusted the Colonel it seems. Otherwise, he would have told Elvis not to sign with the Colonel.

jak
06-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I can understand why Elvis left Sun. Going to a major label had to be a dream come true for him. Think of the poverty he had experienced previously.Elvis was living the American dream.Signing to a label like RCA must have been hard for him to believe.He had made the big time.

Brian
06-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I can understand why Elvis left Sun. Going to a major label had to be a dream come true for him. Think of the poverty he had experienced previously.Elvis was living the American dream.Signing to a label like RCA must have been hard for him to believe.He had made the big time.

Right.

Being on Sun Records was a good thing but it was a small label.

Getting a recording contract with one of the major labels was always the goal.