PDA

View Full Version : why didn't elvis sing 'rags to riches' more in his live shows

simmerrocks
01-13-2005, 09:28 PM
hi guys, i always wondered why elvis never included rags to riches more often in his live shows. it was a great song very dramatic and very much along the lines of hurt. with the exception of news years eve 76/77 i dont think he ever performed this song live. correct me if i am wrong. have a good night... simmerrocks (y)

Lonniebealestreet
01-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't think you're wrong, and I don't have the answer. It's a good question. Another way of looking at it would be to ask, other than trying to extend the show for the special occasion, what made him decide to perform it that night?

How many stars are in the sky? I'll Never Know...

simmerrocks
01-13-2005, 10:30 PM
bobby, i never looked at it from your point. thats true he was trying to extend the show, but why rags to riches? perhaps it was a request from somebody or maybe just a personal favorite... you are right 'we'll never know' (y) , take care... simmerrocks (y)

spinout-designs
01-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Of course it wasn't the only rarely performed track to be featured in shows from that short December 76 tour.......... for example 'Such A Night' in Atlanta, 'First Time Ever' in Birmingham, but I believe you may well be right that it was the ONLY time 'Rags To Riches' made into the live setlist.

As you say, it's unfortunate it wasn't featured in the live set lists more frequently, it seemed like a natural choice for a live show, a power ballad Elvis could have really "stripped his gears" on in 1970 live on stage.

Who knows, if a studio version of 'Rags' had been completed before September it may well have had an airing during the August 1970 summer festival in Las Vegas as did several of the tracks he laid down in Nashville that June of the same year.

It was certainly a highlight of the Pittsburgh show ( Elvis even calling out the chord changes to the band mid performance)

Perhaps an even more surprising impromptu performance was the glorious reading of 'Where No One Stands Alone' from the following year in Montgomery where once again Elvis accompanied himself at the piano.

Magic performances indeed.

simmerrocks
01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
good point made spinout. i never thought about where no one stands alone. again elvis played the piano on this just as he did on you'll never walk alone in 75. maybe just maybe elvis was doing these songs because HE liked them and they meant something to him. just a thought :hmm: . have a great weekend, simmerrocks (y)

elvisdownunder
01-15-2005, 03:09 AM
good thought too :D Rags to riches was played as early as when Elvis was in the army and it just must've popped in his mind at one time. we'll never know