PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading now? (Elvis books and...)

ComeBackChick
03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Just as the music thread, lets do a book thread, Elvis books, what are you reading now? Maybe expand it to other books as well? Or the last Elvis book you read.

I am reading (two books) at the moment:
- Elvis by those who knew him best - Rose Clayton and Dick Heard
- Inner Elvis - Peter Whitmer.

Snake Eyes
03-12-2013, 07:49 AM
The actual last Elvis book I read was EWH, but I was bought Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love, which I haven't even cracked the spines of yet. The last book non Elvis related was Nemesis by Frank Miller.

debtdbruno
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I've always loved reading even when I was young....just don't seem to get the time to settle down with a good book these days. I've tonnes of Elvis books, most of which I've read. However, I have about 10 books I've not got round to yet, passed them to my Mum she's told me bits and bobs about them.....

you need to read both of Guralnick's books Jen, they are the ultimate bio books on him....very detailed, you'll have to read them over to get all the nitty gritty details to sink in

ComeBackChick
03-12-2013, 11:46 AM
The actual last Elvis book I read was EWH, but I was bought Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love, which I haven't even cracked the spines of yet. The last book non Elvis related was Nemesis by Frank Miller.
What is EWH? Elvis What Happened?? :doh: :blush:

Snake Eyes
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
What is EWH? Elvis What Happened?? :doh: :blush:

Yes, sorry I couldn't be bothered to type it all out, being lazy :lol:

Snake Eyes
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
I've always loved reading even when I was young....just don't seem to get the time to settle down with a good book these days. I've tonnes of Elvis books, most of which I've read. However, I have about 10 books I've not got round to yet, passed them to my Mum she's told me bits and bobs about them.....

you need to read both of Guralnick's books Jen, they are the ultimate bio books on him....very detailed, you'll have to read them over to get all the nitty gritty details to sink in

I just haven't had time yet, lame excuse I know but it's true :D

hounddog
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
John Wilkinsons book and before that i read Geerge Kleins book and I'm reading Long Lonely Highway at the moment

Tony Trout
03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I'd like to be reading a couple of Elvis books but I don't have the finances to get them and my Mom is upset because I want them

I'm thirty-six years old and my Mom continually argues with me about buying these kinds of books! My God, it could be a LOT worse! Instead of buying picture books, I could be out in the street doing something illegal! I'm so PO'd this morning I could chew nails!

Snake Eyes
03-13-2013, 08:13 AM
I'd like to be reading a couple of Elvis books but I don't have the finances to get them and my Mom is upset because I want them

I'm thirty-six years old and my Mom continually argues with me about buying these kinds of books! My God, it could be a LOT worse! Instead of buying picture books, I could be out in the street doing something illegal! I'm so PO'd this morning I could chew nails!

No offence, but why should your mum care what you spend your money on?

Raised on Rock
03-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Mystery Train. By Greil Marcus. Its good!

ComeBackChick
05-31-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/book_nash_babyhouse.jpg

Baby Lets Play House - Alanna Nash

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Lets-Play-House-ebook/dp/B003100V3M/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370768049&sr=1-1&keywords=baby+lets+play+house

franny
06-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm reading a non-Elvis book..

It's called: To Selena, With Love by Chris Perez. I like it so far, but it's a little sad.

Kajo
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Elvis and me by Priscilla Presley. One of my favorite Elvis books of all time next to Guralnicks two volume Biography.

KPM
06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Just as the music thread, lets do a book thread, Elvis books, what are you reading now? Maybe expand it to other books as well? Or the last Elvis book you read.

I am reading (two books) at the moment:
- Elvis by those who knew him best - Rose Clayton and Dick Heard- Inner Elvis - Peter Whitmer.
By Those WHo Knew Him Best-excellent book.. many many childhood stories by people who were there.
Very good information about Elvis' medical problems and flaws in his personality.
Goldmine of info.

Winston
06-07-2013, 03:57 AM
I am waiting of the new "Elvis - The Handbook" by Emily Smith (?). It is ordered and should come next week.

Lisarose
06-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I got a little burned out on the all the Elvis books I was reading, so I began reading Elvis fiction. there's a LOT of Elvis books out there. the fiction I've read so far is 50/50 - good and horrible. Wow! The trouble with reading fiction and being an Elvis fan is that I'm always yelling at the author - Elvis NEVER did that - You *****!
The last book I read - Suspicious Minds. One of the better Elvis fiction. Detective/mystery and yes more than a few errors. But still very entertaining. An excellent "concert" scene - written so well that I had to play some Elvis music as I read it.

debtdbruno
06-09-2013, 01:24 AM
I got a little burned out on the all the Elvis books I was reading, so I began reading Elvis fiction. there's a LOT of Elvis books out there. the fiction I've read so far is 50/50 - good and horrible. Wow! The trouble with reading fiction and being an Elvis fan is that I'm always yelling at the author - Elvis NEVER did that - You *****!
The last book I read - Suspicious Minds. One of the better Elvis fiction. Detective/mystery and yes more than a few errors. But still very entertaining. An excellent "concert" scene - written so well that I had to play some Elvis music as I read it.

I enjoyed Paul Pullans book......you could put yourself in their shoes, abducting him, and making him go clean.....

Lisarose
06-11-2013, 10:11 PM
I enjoyed Paul Pullans book......you could put yourself in their shoes, abducting him, and making him go clean.....

:) I know! I do believe the next book I will read is Untold Gold. I forget the author!

Snake Eyes
06-12-2013, 02:59 AM
I am currently reading The Illuminati by Larry Burkett.

The story begins in the year 2015. The Illuminati has succeeded in placing one of their own people in the office of the presidency of the United States. With the worldwide launch of a financial system known as Data-Net, they have gained seemingly unlimited power.

I'm not even a quarter of the way in yet, but it's very interesting in light of recent political revelations.

Donut
06-13-2013, 05:45 AM
By Those WHo Knew Him Best-excellent book.. many many childhood stories by people who were there.
Very good information about Elvis' medical problems and flaws in his personality.
Goldmine of info.

I loved "Elvis, By Those Who Knew Him Best". It's one of my favorites books on Elvis because it's great to read not so common stories about his personal life. The problem with the other books of this kind is that you always read the same old ones, but this book is different.

Lisarose
06-21-2013, 08:05 PM
am currently reading The Hangman's Daughter by Potzsch (sp?) A really good book set in the 1600s.

Hi Donut, I have that book, I've not read it all the way thru, just bits and pieces

Donut
06-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Hi Lisarose. Who is the author? I found 3 different books with that same name... Is it Paul Bishop?

KPM
06-27-2013, 12:49 PM
I loved "Elvis, By Those Who Knew Him Best". It's one of my favorites books on Elvis because it's great to read not so common stories about his personal life. The problem with the other books of this kind is that you always read the same old ones, but this book is different.
I agree completely, this book comes from so many different sources it does not have a real firm direction but a great variety of subjects and one of a kind stories from Tupelo till he died.

Lisarose
07-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Hi Lisarose. Who is the author? I found 3 different books with that same name... Is it Paul Bishop?

Yes, the book I read was by Paul Bishop.

How are you doing, Donut?

hounddog
07-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm reading The eyes of darkness by Dean Koontz, i have the new Joe Tunzi book King Creole lots of nice pics

Donut
07-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Yes, the book I read was by Paul Bishop.

How are you doing, Donut?
I'm fine Lisarose. Glad to see you are still around (y)

I'll read his book. I saw it has many good reviews.

my boy
07-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Recently read - BABY LET'S PLAY HOUSE by Alanna Nash - here's a few beauties:

Diane
07-06-2013, 08:12 AM
I am currently reading Stephen King's latest book "Joyland". I have followed his writing since the very beginning of his career. My husband and I were in Bangor last Wednesday and swung by his house. I took several photos....one of the most gorgeous victorian mansions I've ever seen. I expected the gates to be tacky with the bats but they were of high quality wrought iron I think and the design was beautiful and not overly ornate. The driveway gate was open so we wondered if he was home or whether it was a caretaker, one of his kids. Didn't see him though....darn!

Lisarose
07-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Recently read - BABY LET'S PLAY HOUSE by Alanna Nash - here's a few beauties:

I loved Writing for the King. I love reading about what gets a song started. Like Elvis telling Red - hey write a song about walking in your sleep or some such.

Donut, would love to read your thoughts on Suspicious Minds, if you read it.

Diane! Hi, once again, Stephen King - wow! He scares me. I did love "11/22/63" - it had a few spooky moments, but it was incredibly good!

Diane
07-07-2013, 08:27 AM
King can be scary but he also has an incredible insight to what makes us humans and animals tick. He is known to be a strange person but like Elvis, well liked and very generous to his state of Maine. His marriage is strong and so is his relationship with his children. In other words, he's one of the good guys.

Donut
07-09-2013, 03:50 AM
Donut, would love to read your thoughts on Suspicious Minds, if you read it.

I'm currently reading it and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. The part where Cole is trying to rescue "Elvis" from the psychiatric hospital is hilarious! :laughing:

elvia7
07-09-2013, 04:30 AM
King can be scary but he also has an incredible insight to what makes us humans and animals tick. He is known to be a strange person but like Elvis, well liked and very generous to his state of Maine. His marriage is strong and so is his relationship with his children. In other words, he's one of the good guys.

I also like very S. King, I will not hide and I agree with Diane. Yes, He certainly is a strange man, but the artists do not belong to the so-called 'normal' people. In general, there are strange, the result of their hypersensitivity. Besides, it is surely one of the good guys(y)

I managed to finish both parts Peter Guralnick - uffff:D Great book! The best I have, so far I read about Elvis.
Now I got as a gift "Elvis in Vegas" P. Lichter. I started to read it. I do not know what to say about it except that it contains beautiful pictures.
Because my English is poor, for relaxation read the "Host" by Stephenie Meyer.
I like the atmosphere, somewhere between Stephen King(y) and Isaac Asimov.

elvia7
07-09-2013, 04:41 AM
I'm reading The eyes of darkness by Dean Koontz, i have the new Joe Tunzi book King Creole lots of nice pics
Hey!! Julie, I love his book -:notworthy
http://www.weltbild.pl/pub/mm/img/220/368957.jpgI read almost everything Dean Koontz and Stephen King:)

hounddog
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Evi I've just started Th Good Guy by Dean. A friend got me hooked on his stuff.

Diane
07-10-2013, 05:36 AM
I've read all of Dean Koontz's books to date but I prefer King, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, James Rollins, Steve Berry and Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code series).

jak
07-10-2013, 07:16 AM
I've read all of Dean Koontz's books to date but I prefer King, Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, James Rollins, Steve Berry and Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code series).

Anymore I seem to just read non fiction.Escpecially books about historical people or events.Koontz used to be a fav of mine at one time along with King.

Donut
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM

I used to like Stephen King a lot, but he changed his style and his books started to get too much science fiction for my taste. If he was still writing books like Gerald's Game or Misery I would still buying his books. He used to write some very good ones for sure.

Diane
07-11-2013, 06:26 AM
I also like biographies. I read one on Johnny Cash, Brenda Lee and Kathrine Hepburn in the last couple of years. I grab them when I see them. I have one of the Queen Mother that my daughter gave to me but it's so thick I haven't attempted to open it yet..my hands kill me with heavy books. I fought through finishing King's Under The Dome though.:P

KPM
07-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I love biographies also, love learning how someone who has some level of fame has got to that point and what made them become the people they became.

Diane
07-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Ran out of new books last night so started to re-read Inside Graceland by Nancy Rooks. I do like that book. Her stories were a little different than most.

elvia7
07-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Evi I've just started Th Good Guy by Dean. A friend got me hooked on his stuff.

I have read in three nights (after a couple of hours).
If I had more time I probably would be enough one day.
Polish version. http://ecsmedia.pl/c/dobry-zabojca-b-iext10045630.jpgReally great! Me, he introduced our mutual friend :D.

elvia7
07-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Thank you Diane for a few hints.
I also love Stephen King!
However, I am a bookworm, I read everything from ancient history
Mika Waltari "Sinuhe the Egyptian" after sciencie fiction.
Isaak Asimov, for example, considered sciencie fiction writer, wrote many popular books.
I also love to read books about nature, same time by means animals, which often has to do with the biography.
For example, Joy Adamson
"Elza of the African bush." Great story about the history of lion pup bred from the people and for the mutual friendship between them.

Diane
07-13-2013, 05:53 AM
Elza of The African Bush sounds really interesting to me but if at the end the lion is set free and they have to say goodbye, I wouldn't be able to take it. I saw Born Free once and it completely did me in...can't even listen to the song anymore. The same with that lovely video of the two young men I think from England who raised a lion cub but had to bring him to Africa to set him free because he outgrew their flat. They went back a year later to where they had freed him and the lion found them and jumped on and hugged them...he still remembered them .....and he had brought his mate along with him. She didn't approach them but just stayed there quietly watching. Can't watch that anymore either.

elvia7
07-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Elza of The African Bush sounds really interesting to me but if at the end the lion is set free and they have to say goodbye, I wouldn't be able to take it. I saw Born Free once and it completely did me in...can't even listen to the song anymore. The same with that lovely video of the two young men I think from England who raised a lion cub but had to bring him to Africa to set him free because he outgrew their flat. They went back a year later to where they had freed him and the lion found them and jumped on and hugged them...he still remembered them .....and he had brought his mate along with him. She didn't approach them but just stayed there quietly watching. Can't watch that anymore either.

Yes you are right, both love animals for that I know what you mean.
Fortunately, I don't saw the moviehttp://www.dvdztogo.com/acatalog/Born%20Free.jpg
"Elza of The African Bush". It's the same story.http://johnbarry.w.interia.pl/dvd/elzadvd.jpg
Such moments also disarm me.
Simply I cry! I cried when I read the book.
Cried when I read most novels J. London's and J.O. Curwood. That's how it is!