PDA

View Full Version : CEO of EPE Jack Soden retiring?

vivaelvis
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
You all know how I feel about the way that EPE is ran and how Soden has dropped the ball on many projects in the past, including TV network partnership with Turner, an indoor theme park in Japan, new hotels in Memphis and Las Vegas as far back as 1986, new museum for Graceland since 1992, etc. But I don't know how I feel about what I was told this morning. The word around Memphis is that EPE's CEO and president Jack Soden MIGHT, or has hinted at planning to retire THIS year. Jack has done some good things for Elvis and Graceland over the past 30 years and has kept to the originality to a point. My fear is that the wrong person could get in and lose the character of Elvis the man and legend and focus more on the dollar signs that the company can make.

He's involved with a lot of organizations around the city, including a seat on the board of regents at the National Civil Rights Museum, and apparently he's told some close associates of his plan to step down. I don't know if he means at the end of the fiscal year which is June 30, or at the end of the calendar year December 31. He's already eligible for retirement. I don't know all the details or if he is being forced to step down by Apollo or Core Media or if it's maybe health related. But this could be of serious interest to Memphis and its job growth for future corporate companies to consider Memphis as a home. Right now, EPE Inc. is one of the top corporate businesses headquartered in Memphis. Along with Fed-Ex, Autozone, and Smith & Nephew. If Soden does step down and Core decides to move headquarters to New York City where Core's headquarters are, that could be detrimental to Memphis in many ways. The city just lost Delta Airlines and now could lose it's premier enterprise.

I'll keep my ears opened on this important development.

Brian
02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
I haven't heard anything about this.

If Soden does retire he's entitled he is 66 or 67 years old and he's been doing the job for 30 years.

They can replace him with someone else.

rocknroll
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Guess it's a good thing you're in no position to appraise his performance officially. In the end, a CEO is judged on the success of the enterprise or organization and for the tasks he's been assigned. For all of that he has done quite well.

KPM
02-13-2013, 02:03 PM
.....The word around Memphis?.... and apparently he's told some close associates of his plan to step down......not much of a source.....................IF he does does time will tell. I am more concerned with how CORE and Apollo might react-they might put in someone whom "they feel" is a great CEO-but may have little or any affection for Elvis-Soden loved Elvis.
Dropped the ball onTV partnership with Turner??? Since Turner has never announced any possible TV deal with EPE, and only "thinking out loud done in 97 by Soden"............ how can that lead to an absolutely 100% for sure deal-that Soden allegedly dropped the ball on?
This is the type thing where you and I will always disagree-one mention of wanting to get a Elvis network-does not mean its all full speed ahead to get that done...and since that mention was 16 years ago and nothing really has ever materialised any where else??? Isn't it obvious.
He did not drop the ball on the Japan theme park-I posted links here for you in other threads showing that the Japanease investors who came to Soden were the ones who dropped the ball.... they agreed to EPE terms which included-they take the risk on building the park but "could not get financing for the deal"
EPE was going to license the image to these people for a fee and percentage of profits and souveniers..the Japanese were the ones who had to come up with financing and take the bulk of the risk (a smart move on EPEs part to do so) yet you still claim Soden (EPE) dropped the ball? Not a fair or proper telling of what happened.
Not every plan any company tests the waters on-becomes reality, especially when you have a city that waits over 30 years to make infrastructer improvements that make "investments by others more feasible"...you had citizens and city officials wanting their "Golden Goose" (EPE) to spend and rebuild for things that the city drug its feet upon....citys should not depend upon industry of any kind for urban renewal and thats what was done in this situation (its not peculiar to just Memphis either)
EPE finally came to the conclusion that they needed more expertise in going larger-that sure has worked out well so far.
I do not think EPE has made every decision perfectly-but they deserve credit for doing the best they could in uncharted waters with little to work with except Elvis' image and likeness...which has ruled well.

vivaelvis
02-13-2013, 09:13 PM
I haven't heard anything about this.

If Soden does retire he's entitled he is 66 or 67 years old and he's been doing the job for 30 years.

They can replace him with someone else.

That's why I said "word in Memphis", meaning it's not confirmed yet.

vivaelvis
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
.....The word around Memphis?.... and apparently he's told some close associates of his plan to step down......not much of a source.....................IF he does does time will tell. I am more concerned with how CORE and Apollo might react-they might put in someone whom "they feel" is a great CEO-but may have little or any affection for Elvis-Soden loved Elvis.
Dropped the ball onTV partnership with Turner??? Since Turner has never announced any possible TV deal with EPE, and only "thinking out loud done in 97 by Soden"............ how can that lead to an absolutely 100% for sure deal-that Soden allegedly dropped the ball on?
This is the type thing where you and I will always disagree-one mention of wanting to get a Elvis network-does not mean its all full speed ahead to get that done...and since that mention was 16 years ago and nothing really has ever materialised any where else??? Isn't it obvious.
He did not drop the ball on the Japan theme park-I posted links here for you in other threads showing that the Japanease investors who came to Soden were the ones who dropped the ball.... they agreed to EPE terms which included-they take the risk on building the park but "could not get financing for the deal"
EPE was going to license the image to these people for a fee and percentage of profits and souveniers..the Japanese were the ones who had to come up with financing and take the bulk of the risk (a smart move on EPEs part to do so) yet you still claim Soden (EPE) dropped the ball? Not a fair or proper telling of what happened.
Not every plan any company tests the waters on-becomes reality, especially when you have a city that waits over 30 years to make infrastructer improvements that make "investments by others more feasible"...you had citizens and city officials wanting their "Golden Goose" (EPE) to spend and rebuild for things that the city drug its feet upon....citys should not depend upon industry of any kind for urban renewal and thats what was done in this situation (its not peculiar to just Memphis either)
EPE finally came to the conclusion that they needed more expertise in going larger-that sure has worked out well so far.
I do not think EPE has made every decision perfectly-but they deserve credit for doing the best they could in uncharted waters with little to work with except Elvis' image and likeness...which has ruled well.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said that Jack HAS DONE SOME GOOD THINGS? But if it's true, then I would like to see Priscilla lobby for Simon Fuller to be his predecessor . He has a remarkable track record and is Lisa Marie's career manager. Plus he's a big Elvis fan and has tried for years to get rights to the catalog and have a hand in running Graceland.

Brian
02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
''If'' and when Jack Soden officially resigns i'll believe it.

I'm not trusting the ''Word'' in Memphis.

KPM
02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Perhaps you missed the part where I said that Jack HAS DONE SOME GOOD THINGS? But if it's true, then I would like to see Priscilla lobby for Simon Fuller to be his predecessor . He has a remarkable track record and is Lisa Marie's career manager. Plus he's a big Elvis fan and has tried for years to get rights to the catalog and have a hand in running Graceland.
No my friend I did not miss that part-but it was overshadowed by the things which you proclaimed were dropped balls by Soden...things you and I have discussed before such as the Japan theme park which fell apart because of the investors not EPE....
Simon Fuller ??? He has too many hands in too many fires-and I would like to see whomever eventually takes over to be laser like focused on Elvis with no other major attachments. That certainly is not Fuller.
Priscilla and Lisa will have little to say I'm afraid-it will be a Apollo decision-or down the road-whomever may own the remnants of CKX

vivaelvis
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
No my friend I did not miss that part-but it was overshadowed by the things which you proclaimed were dropped balls by Soden...things you and I have discussed before such as the Japan theme park which fell apart because of the investors not EPE....
Simon Fuller ??? He has too many hands in too many fires-and I would like to see whomever eventually takes over to be laser like focused on Elvis with no other major attachments. That certainly is not Fuller.
Priscilla and Lisa will have little to say I'm afraid-it will be a Apollo decision-or down the road-whomever may own the remnants of CKX

That is why I'm a little concerned. Jack is well liked in the Memphis business community.

josephinebeau
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
This could be an exciting change or it could be a disaster. One thing that came to mind in reading this post was what a unique enterprise EPE really is. I have seen on this site and others a lot of criticism, and I will admit I have some of my own, but really what model did they really have for such a business?