PDA

View Full Version : ALOHA- Who Is This Mystery Man

JRtherealJR
09-19-2012, 10:20 AM
There is a man who seems out of place at the rehearsal and the live shows. He is sitting in front of a black booth all by himself next to Kathy Westmoreland. Such a booth was only present at the 2 Aloha shows, so who was he and what was his function? The booth must have been a control panel of some sort, so was he in charge of the special effects lighting ie the runway lights?

Here is a shot from the main Aloha show as Elvis walks past him as he enters the stage:
http://i45.tinypic.com/349eakp.jpg

Here his booth can be clearly seen during the introductions:
http://i50.tinypic.com/20pu92x.jpg

What's interesting from the rehearsal show is the mystery man is not there as Elvis walks out on stage, he passes by the empty booth (NOTE: ELVIS ENTERS THE STAGE ON THE BOOTH'S RIGHT SIDE BUT LEAVES BY THE BOOTH'S RIGHT SIDE) Why was the man missing at the rehearsal opening- but not at the Live show opening?
http://i49.tinypic.com/2utgl85.jpg

At the end of the show, Elvis leaves the rehearsal show on the booth's LEFT side & the man is sitting there again. (NOTE: THE MAN WAS BACK BEHIND HIS BOOTH QUITE EARLY ON IN THE CONCERT)
http://i46.tinypic.com/oa6csy.jpg

mozzarella
09-19-2012, 10:34 AM
You see it wrong. On the original release of the rehearsal show the man is absolutely there. Maybe he's the sound engineer or the lighting guy...Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvlk6QLohSI

JRtherealJR
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
You see it wrong. On the original release of the rehearsal show the man is absolutely there. Maybe he's the sound engineer or the lighting guy...Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvlk6QLohSI

I stand corrected. Yes from this different camera angle, he is clearly there at the beginning of the rehearsal show. I was using the deluxe Aloha as my source, and from the angle they used, he was obscured.

Thanks for the information, Mozzarella.

mozzarella
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM
No prob JR ;)

Raised on Rock
09-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Usualy the lights guy and the sound engineers are in-front the stage, in a booth from the crowd perspective. So I don't think this is the case of this guy.

Anyhow, I really have no idea. Maybe some guy from the Joe Goercio Orchesta? Could be some kind of hammond style keyboard not a booth?

peter
09-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Sound engineer for monitors on stage?

1100ccRider
09-20-2012, 08:45 PM
It's Hugh Hefner. Obviously.

mozzarella
09-21-2012, 12:59 AM
He looks like a villain cartoon character... look at the stache and the white sideburn - straight out of Scooby Doo :P

Snake Eyes
09-21-2012, 03:54 AM
He looks like a villain cartoon character... look at the stache and the white sideburn - straight out of Scooby Doo :P

And he would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been for you meddling kids ;)

vivaelvis
09-23-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure this guy is the one in charge of the background lighting. He seems to be seated to the left of the huge production screen behind the band that features all of the different lights constantly changing to have a clear view of it. Keep in mind that Elvis never had this kind of stage or background before. And the stage was specially built for that particular show with limited space. And Elvis did not have a separate keyboard used for the show. So it has to be the lighting director.

If not the lighting guy, it could be the sound engineer for RCA since they were recording the special for the LP release.

rocknroll
09-23-2012, 04:41 PM
He was the second shooter, from the grassy knoll.

vivaelvis
09-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Am I missing something? What does that mean?

hounddog
09-23-2012, 06:28 PM
"He was the second shooter, from the grassy knoll."

JFK

Snake Eyes
09-24-2012, 03:27 AM

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

boquo2
09-24-2012, 10:14 PM

:D

Or maybe he shot JR...or Mr Burns

Erhan
09-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Frank Strazzeri Hammond Organ Next question please?

mozzarella
09-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Wow.. how do you know this? And in what particular song did Elvis use a Hammond organ? Why only in Hawaii? Now that's the mystery

RS277
09-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Wow :notworthy

1100ccRider
09-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Wow.. how do you know this? And in what particular song did Elvis use a Hammond organ? Why only in Hawaii? Now that's the mystery

If you listen to some of Elvis' '70s concerts you'll hear (usually not very discernible) an organ playing in some parts, before David Briggs came aboard with his setup. From memory, I think one or both of the RCA-recorded Madison Square Garden concerts feature it most obviously in "Proud Mary" (pretty sure it;s loudest during the drum roll parts). Always wondered about that. Ditto the kettle drummer; at times it's seemed like there's been another guitar player in Joe Guercio's group, too...it'd be cool to find out more about the band personnel beyond Elvis' core rhythm group.

Snake Eyes
09-29-2012, 05:54 AM

What are this weeks winning lottery numbers?

The mystery of the mystery man solved thanks to Erhan (y)

King Of The Whole World
09-29-2012, 09:10 AM
What are this weeks winning lottery numbers?

The mystery of the mystery man solved thanks to Erhan (y)

I'm all ears.....

http://streetchique.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/ears.jpg?w=267&h=300

vivaelvis
09-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Well, apparently you were right. Here's a list of everyone in the orchestra from the Aloha From Hawaii special.

Joe Guercio was Elvis's conductor and musical director and, with a few exceptions, the orchestra consisted of local musicians contracted for this particular engagement. Brass players were Patrick Houston, Thomas Porrello, Gary Grant and Forrest Buchtel (trumpets); Leslie Benedict and William Barton (trombones); Martin Harrell (bass trombone); and David Baptist (French horn). Saxophonists were Gabriel Baltazar, Jr., Robert Winn, Peter Dovidio, Wayne Dunstan and Mary Taylor, with Baltazar and Taylor also playing flute. Violinist Bertine Corimby, who performed with Elvis at the Las Vegas Hilton, headed the 12-piece string section, the rest of whom were musicians from the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra: Dale Bechtel, Marianne Fleece, Louise Solmssen, Arthur Loventhal, Mervin Whitcomb, Heidi McCole and Carol Shive (violins); Betty Deeg and Diana Mallery (violas); and William Konney and Beverly LeBeck (cellos). Rounding out the orchestra were Frank Strazzeri (Hammond organ) and Dean Appleman (percussion?). Houston, Porrello, Harrell and Strazzeri had toured with Elvis in 1972 and were brought to Hawaii for the show, as were Buchtel and Corimby. Harvey Ragsdale was the Hawaiian contractor who hired local musicians for the orchestra.

Raised on Rock
09-29-2012, 10:41 AM

TTWII and Elvis on Tour, MSG, Live in Memphis, and all the soundboards, there's always a hammond in the background buried in the mix.

Raised on Rock
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Guess I wasn't that lost, that didn't seem like the right place to have a sound engineer or the lights guy. Never ever. It had to be a hammond!

But you got the name and all!!! Thumbs up my friend.

Snake Eyes
09-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Guess I wasn't that lost, that didn't seem like the right place to have a sound engineer or the lights guy. Never ever. It had to be a hammond!

But you got the name and all!!! Thumbs up my friend.

I was just re-reading this thread and was about to say right now that you gave us the first clue, so.............................:notworthy credit where credit is due

Raised on Rock
09-29-2012, 12:00 PM
I was just re-reading this thread and was about to say right now that you gave us the first clue, so.............................:notworthy credit where credit is due

No I didn't had any clues, it just doesn't seem like the right place to have a sound engineer, in Elvis on Tour you can clearly see the sound and the lights were managed from a booth placed at the back of the crowd so...

All credit is for Erhan.

Snake Eyes
09-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Usualy the lights guy and the sound engineers are in-front the stage, in a booth from the crowd perspective. So I don't think this is the case of this guy.

Anyhow, I really have no idea. Maybe some guy from the Joe Goercio Orchesta? Could be some kind of hammond style keyboard not a booth?

No I didn't had any clues, it just doesn't seem like the right place to have a sound engineer, in Elvis on Tour you can clearly see the sound and the lights were managed from a booth placed at the back of the crowd so...

All credit is for Erhan.

So the mystery guy turns out to be a Hammond organ player.

JRtherealJR
09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Cheers Erhan for the information (y)

According to Wikipedia, he was born in 1930 and is still alive- but the work he did for Elvis is not mentioned which is a shame.

http://i50.tinypic.com/11ub586.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2v9x44z.jpg

karlos
09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Ty Erhan - Wow - Ty For Info -
Ty Too Jrthe real Jr for addn this post - Lov It -God Bless Yu Jr the real Jr ,Erhan and ALL Members On This Forum -Enjoy ya week Y'all -Take care y'all -

RS277
09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Another wow :notworthy

Snake Eyes
10-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Ty Erhan - Wow - Ty For Info -
Ty Too Jrthe real Jr for addn this post - Lov It -God Bless Yu Jr the real Jr ,Erhan and ALL Members On This Forum -Enjoy ya week Y'all -Take care y'all -

What a lovely thing to say (y)