PDA

View Full Version : Great news out of Memphis!

vivaelvis
08-18-2012, 09:25 AM
I spoke to my friend late last night and he told me that the entire city of Memphis (officials and business people) are overwhelmed and shocked at how many people went to Elvis Week. But the bigger factor was the money they spent. It is estimated by the mayor's office that more than $150 million dollars was spent by tourists during Elvis Week. Prior to the events, Memphis was facing a huge financial deficit in their yearly budget. This week will now go a long way in helping the city regain some power and momentum going into the next calendar year of July 2013 when the next city budget begins.

According to what he's heard, everything from hotels to local restaurants and stores have seen a huge increase in business because of Elvis Week. This is all great news for Memphis as they needed the money BADLY!

Now, on to Graceland. EPE was expecting around 70,000 for the week for paid attendance. But it's estimated that more than 80,000 were in town for Elvis Week. According to Kevin Kern, they were at one point bringing in close to a thousand visitors an hour through Graceland!:supriced: On a normal day, they would get anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 A DAY! They don't know the actual numbers yet, but it's estimated to be much higher than they anticipated.

My friend also thinks that this week was a test for EPE and Memphis. To see if Elvis, 35 years later, could still draw in mass crowds, which he passed with flying colors, worthy enough to invest hundreds of millions of dollars into Graceland's future. He says that EPE's new owners may have been skeptical at first on investing that much capital money into a dead entertainer's estate and that part of town it sits in without assurance that it would work long term and be profitable. But this week may have ended any speculation or skepticism of that concern. Alot of doubters are now becoming believers.

He says, from what he heard at his office downtown yesterday is that the city would love to see that kind of revenue flow all the time and not just during one week a year. So expect the city to now move faster and more willingly when helping to get Whitehaven cleaned up. They are breaking ground in about 10 weeks (around the first of November) on phase 1 of the revitalization of Elvis Presley Boulevard. That's now a go!(y) For those of you who are familiar with the area, that will be from the intersection of EP Boulevard and East Brooks RD down to Winchester intersection. They are going to beautify that whole stretch with new sidewalks widened, newly planted trees, new bright street lighting, and old power lines torn down and new ones relocated underground. They're hoping to attract new businesses such as restaurants and a first-class hotel, aside from Graceland's plan.

elvia7
08-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks!!!
Viva!, This is great news! You made my evening became beautiful!
Still worried about Graceland ...
How much longer? Now I have Nagaa!
Thank you one more time!!
Evi :respect::notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

KPM
08-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Great news-but I do not think EPE was worried nor Memphis...Elvis and his drawing power have been tested, retested and double tested for nearly 60 years and he always draws....even in death he draws as well as some current touring artists-how much more of a test could be done than that.

josephinebeau
08-18-2012, 04:50 PM
You ain't a kiddin' about the money spent! Just kidding I had a fantastic time and met people from EVERYWHERE! Lots of love I just got home at midnight so when I am less sleep deprived I will post pics and video. Kuddos to everyone who was involved. LONG LIVE THE KING!

debtdbruno
08-18-2012, 10:11 PM
lol.........I've bought the Boy from Tupelo set.......and I don't know how many t-shirts.......so I've definitely helped the economy:doh::doh:

King Of The Whole World
08-19-2012, 06:14 PM
I purchased plenty of items and had a blast.