PDA

View Full Version : New Big Screen Movie Based On Sonny West's Book

nabelt24
09-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Thought I'd share the following links with you relating to the new feature film based on the book by Sonny West. What do you all think about it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.billboard.com/news/elvis-presley-movie-based-on-bodyguard-s-1005339162.story#/news/elvis-presley-movie-based-on-bodyguard-s-1005339162.story

http://www.filmofilia.com/big-screen-adaptation-of-elvis-still-taking-care-of-business-names-director-65910/

Diane
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I have and read the book. No matter what Sonny says, there is always at least a hint of negativity towards Elvis so I always question his claiming to be a good friend.

I won't be going to see the movie.

kathy parkinson
09-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Agree Diane.

debtdbruno
09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
you can't help thinking the 'warts and all' slant will be at the fore-front............

LaurieT
09-08-2011, 01:22 PM
you can't help thinking the 'warts and all' slant will be at the fore-front............

That whole group was extremly dysfunctional. But in the little world they made, it was inevitable. So what. It was Elvis's family and there is no perfect family. Of course some are worse than others. But I think that while their were problems, there was also, alot of love and good times. I'm not sure if people just want sugar-coated versions or what??

Tony Trout
09-08-2011, 02:52 PM
It amazes the heck out of me how some people will still hold resentment/hate towards a person or persons 34 years after Elvis passed away! Let it go, for Pete's sake!! I can probably bet that nobody in this thread has met or corresponded with Sonny West and are basing your judgements on what's been written about Elvis by them.

1.) They had NO contact with Elvis at all after the firing - Sonny, in fact, tried calling Elvis in Palm Springs at Dr. Ghanem's houseto ask him why they were fired and Elvis took the high road and wouldn't talk to them.

2.) Elvis didn't fire them - he told his father to fire them. As much as I love Elvis, I still think that he should've been the one to tell them that they were being fired. He supposedly told Vernon to give them $5,000.00 each and tell them that they would be re-hired later but, no, Vernon coldly called all three of them and fired them on the spot with only three days notice and a week's pay - sounds like a pretty crappy way to be fired, if you want my honest opinion.

3.) They thought the book would help save Elvis's life but they had no knowledge of publishers (good or bad) and the book was the ONLY way for them to "reach" Elvis to make him see what he was doing to himself and to the people around him and they decided to go with sleaze-bag journalist, Steve Dunleavy. They told him what to put in the book but when they saw the galley proofs of the book, there was absolutely NONE of the things that they had told Dunleavy about in the book. DUNLEAVY sensationalized the book. So, basically, neither Sonny nor Red nor Dave had any part in actually writing the book. I know there's a pretty famous photo of the three of them looking at previews of the book and, from the looks on their faces, I don't think that they liked at all what they were reading. I think Sonny has paid ENOUGH for the trash talk from fans about the book and I think it's time tht we, as fans, LET IT GO!!!!'''

This is one topic that hits a sore spot with me everytime I see something about them because they were essentially put out in the cold by both Elvis and his father. Now, how many of you would like to be treated the same way by a person who you loved dearly and someone you considered your best friend and loved them very much?

AHM1977
09-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm gonna see this one too, no matter what. I won't judge the movie without seeing it first.

Diane
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I know you have always defended the MM Tony, but I feel that it is not harboring resentment towards them when Sonny is still to this day using Elvis in every way he can to make money...his new book and now this movie. Can he not make a living for himself without cashing in on Elvis?

Tony Trout
09-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't feel like Sonny is "cashing in" on Elvis at all. If that were the case, what are people like George Klein, Jerry Schilling & Joe Esposito (those are the only three that come to mind at the moment) doing? George works for EPE and his book is sugarcoated and doesn't tell the whole truth - same goes for Jerry Schilling, IMO. They were also both trying to make $$$ off of Elvis but they also didn't tell the whole story, either, because of being so closely associated with EPE. Priscilla's book was so "one-sided" with it's story that I can't read it anymore.

If anyone here ever met Sonny West and had a one-on-one talk with him, I bet you'd change your mind about him and his feelings towards Elvis. He knows that some fans still don't like the first book but, as I said in my original post, we can ALL thank Steve Dunleavy for the first book. He sensationalized the book to make it more appealing. I don't blame Sonny, Red or Dave at ALL for trying to do the only thing they knew how to do (or could do at the time) to save their friend and former employer.

rogerM
09-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't feel like Sonny is "cashing in" on Elvis at all. If that were the case, what are people like George Klein, Jerry Schilling & Joe Esposito (those are the only three that come to mind at the moment) doing? George works for EPE and his book is sugarcoated and doesn't tell the whole truth - same goes for Jerry Schilling, IMO. They were also both trying to make $$$ off of Elvis but they also didn't tell the whole story, either, because of being so closely associated with EPE. Priscilla's book was so "one-sided" with it's story that I can't read it anymore.

If anyone here ever met Sonny West and had a one-on-one talk with him, I bet you'd change your mind about him and his feelings towards Elvis. He knows that some fans still don't like the first book but, as I said in my original post, we can ALL thank Steve Dunleavy for the first book. He sensationalized the book to make it more appealing. I don't blame Sonny, Red or Dave at ALL for trying to do the only thing they knew how to do (or could do at the time) to save their friend and former employer.

AMEN! (y)
I also think the last West book is good.

debtdbruno
09-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't believe in 'sugar coating' anything........but there's a difference between that and over sensationalising something so it will sell...........

Elvis isn't here to defend himself, so many 'conversations' etc....that various people recall were so called 'private times' with Elvis when nobody else is around to dispute what happened/was said.

What Elvis did, said, and what he took won't shock anyone in this day and age with lots of celebritied dying of prescription overdoses. However, that doesn't mean we, as his fans can't be protective of his memory..................

Jungleroom76
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM

I certainly agree with you Tony that Sonny is not doing anything differently than Jerry, Joe, George and Priscilla have done. I also agree that those guys probably do have to tread very lightly with their projects because they are still in the good graces of EPE!!! Clearly, they don't want to lose THAT meal ticket!!! :doh:

While I certainly don't condone what Sonny, Red and Dave did with E:WH, I can see why they felt the way they did with getting fired the way they were. But after reading Sonny's second book, I really do think that Sonny cared for Elvis moreso than many of the other "hangers on" who were only there to get what they could from Elvis. Yes, Sonny was also given a lot from Elvis but let's face it...the man put his life on the line for Elvis night after night after night on that concert stage!! Every one of the guys who worked/hung around with Elvis made mistakes and they all have told their stories, yes "cashing in" on Elvis' name during the process. But I really do think that if given the chance, Sonny would go back and change some things that happened around the time of his firing and the writing/release of E:WH. :hmm:

Either way, it really has been too long and perhaps it is time for fans to put aside their differences with whomever they have grievances with throughout Elvis' organization... (in MOST cases anyway... ;))

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
By the way, I am definitely interested to see how the movie turns out...most notably who they find to play Elvis. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Diane
09-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I certainly agree with you Tony that Sonny is not doing anything differently than Jerry, Joe, George and Priscilla have done. I also agree that those guys probably do have to tread very lightly with their projects because they are still in the good graces of EPE!!! Clearly, they don't want to lose THAT meal ticket!!! :doh:

While I certainly don't condone what Sonny, Red and Dave did with E:WH, I can see why they felt the way they did with getting fired the way they were. But after reading Sonny's second book, I really do think that Sonny cared for Elvis moreso than many of the other "hangers on" who were only there to get what they could from Elvis. Yes, Sonny was also given a lot from Elvis but let's face it...the man put his life on the line for Elvis night after night after night on that concert stage!! Every one of the guys who worked/hung around with Elvis made mistakes and they all have told their stories, yes "cashing in" on Elvis' name during the process. But I really do think that if given the chance, Sonny would go back and change some things that happened around the time of his firing and the writing/release of E:WH. :hmm:

Either way, it really has been too long and perhaps it is time for fans to put aside their differences with whomever they have grievances with throughout Elvis' organization... (in MOST cases anyway... ;))

TCB!
Mike

Agree it's been too long........;) They all have to live with what they say and do as we do.

Dazed and Confused
09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
We'll never see or read what really happened, only individuals one sided memories. It's bad manners and unneccesary to soil the memory of a dead man be it based in some truth or not. I choose to only read the postives about Elvis since he's not here to defend himself. As Elvis fans we should resepect what Elvis held most dear, which was his privacy. I bear no ill will to the MM or those who tell these stories. But I'd rather spend my hard earned money celebrating the man and his music.

Diane
09-10-2011, 06:28 AM
We'll never see or read what really happened, only individuals one sided memories. It's bad manners and unneccesary to soil the memory of a dead man be it based in some truth or not. I choose to only read the postives about Elvis since he's not here to defend himself. As Elvis fans we should resepect what Elvis held most dear, which was his privacy. I bear no ill will to the MM or those who tell these stories. But I'd rather spend my hard earned money celebrating the man and his music.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Joe Car
09-12-2011, 05:18 AM
The bigger question is this, who is going to play Elvis?

Diane
09-12-2011, 07:49 AM
That's a scary thought. So far none but Kurt Russell did much of a job and still he didn't look much like Elvis. I don't think it's possible to find anyone that could portray him close enough in looks or personality. He was one of a kind.

kathy parkinson
09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
We'll never see or read what really happened, only individuals one sided memories. It's bad manners and unneccesary to soil the memory of a dead man be it based in some truth or not. I choose to only read the postives about Elvis since he's not here to defend himself. As Elvis fans we should resepect what Elvis held most dear, which was his privacy. I bear no ill will to the MM or those who tell these stories. But I'd rather spend my hard earned money celebrating the man and his music. There you have it, i wholeheartedly agree with your comment.

kathy parkinson
09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
That's a scary thought. So far none but Kurt Russell did much of a job and still he didn't look much like Elvis. I don't think it's possible to find anyone that could portray him close enough in looks or personality. He was one of a kind. Am i the only one who didn't like Kurt Russell portraying Elvis?

Diane
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Am i the only one who didn't like Kurt Russell portraying Elvis?

I doubt it. I though he did the best job but still it wasn't even close to what Elvis looked and acted like.

lvelvis
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
i also read the book and was surprised at how sonny had to go into detail how ELVIS had sex with cilla and how he didn't make her pregnant. It was also filled with anger at other members of the mm, as to who was what ,and yet he could not write how he took advantage of a great boss who wasn't going to pay to fly his wife and kid out on ELVIS dime. I'm sure there was much more than the drug theory that got them fired , they were becomming a liability, one thing ELVIS PRESLEY was , was that he was loyal to a fault. I 'm constantly amazed how everybody associated with him still looks to make a buck off him , i will defend ELVIS PRESLEY till the day i die - He has brought nothing but joy into mine and millions of peoples lives, i'm sure the good times with him way out weighed the bad and mayby that is what should be written and directed by his so called best friends!

LaurieT
09-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Of course he brought joy to millions, but many of those millions did not have to live with Elvis or work with him. Elvis was human, had faults. The one thing he yearned for was to be treated like a human person. But what I see is that some people still want to treat him/his memory with kids gloves. Why can't he be honored for his wonderful side and great contribution, and still be seen as a real person with faults and all. He may have been very nice at times, but he was very difficult, and somewhat crazy too and I am sure dealing with him was not easy. I feel these guys have the right to tell their stories with accuracy. They have the right to tell the good and bad of it. I'm sure that they tell mostly good, because I think as difficult as Elvis was,,,he was mostly good. So what is there to fear after all these years??
Elvis will still always come out of anyone's memory as a pretty good person. (because he was)
And no one exploits Elvis more than Priscilla, Jerry, and Joe. What Priscilla does is beyond normal, necessary, and is vulgar.

lvelvis
09-13-2011, 08:02 PM
enough of the bad things and drug history has bin dealt with enough. I like to remember ELVIS PRESLEY for the great humanatarin he was . He helped so many people in his short , but amazing lifetime. Why not concentrate on the good things he did , i'm sure when sonny passes he won't like people to write about his sex excapades and practises and drug use etc..- nah didn't think so , it's time he gets on with his life and except that ELVIS had enough of them maybe even outgrew them[over a year of no call back ] really says it all . ELVIS was definetly going to make some changes and started to , by cleaning house. Sonny never has gotten over the fact that ELVIS had it with these guys.

nabelt24
09-15-2011, 01:03 AM
This has turned out to be some post! LOL! I've just came back for the first time after starting the thread and read through the responses. I have to say that I agree whole-heartedly with Tony on this. Having both read the book and having the opportunity to meet with Sonny on a personal level, I believe that he is a sincere man who knows they ALL made mistakes in the past. He has not tried to 'cash in' on Elvis' name and, in my opinion, he's one of the ONLY MM guys that has been low profile and kept to himself and I believe that he is a good man.
But, this thread was not meant to discuss Sonny, I just wanted to see what you thought about the idea of a big screen movie about Elvis' life. I'm looking forward to it and seeing who they cast. Looks like they've got a great director!

Kev3432
09-15-2011, 05:27 PM
How about this,Elvis was wrong for not taking care of business(ironic isnt it)he didnt like to do anything himself it seems.
Sonny was wrong for writing a book and pretending it was out of love,it was anger and money driven,in my view elvis and sonny were not reall friends,i dont think elvis was that good at friendships etc.
Lets be honest,all around him were riding the gravy train,elvis was a hermit it seems,was weird,moody,and sometimes childlike,but i still love the great music,not all of it but enough good music,too bad the legacy is front and center and not the music.