PDA

View Full Version : FTD No more!

my boy
07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Follow That Dream Demise Premature:

With so many fantastic Elvis releases imminent, why are certain members intent on forecasting FTDs slow decline? I don’t see it –– you know, there really is something for everyone here. Furthermore the excellent FTD vinyl releases are selling out, proof of there popularity. Ernst and his team are the keepers of an Elvis Presley treasure trove, with Gold duly released at three monthly intervals. FTD never cease to amaze me with their superb Elvis releases which we are very fortunate to have. Ernst and the gang can do no wrong in my eyes and I’m sure there’s loads more to come, including many surprises. It has to be said that one day it may end – but let’s just enjoy the most fantastic and pleasurable of rides!

The most recent FTD:
Stage Rehearsal - criticised but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Pot Luck
(Vinyl 2-LP) - gorgeous vinyl with songs new to many...

Fashion For A King FTD Book & CD – coming in August a stunning encyclopaedic release including every jumpsuit ever worn by the King. In addition, two great sounding soundboard CDs will be included –– if you’re a jumpsuit junkie, this release is essential.

Additionally the September FTDs have wetted our appetites:

“48 HOURS TO MEMPHIS”
(The March 18, 1974, Richmond concert)

“HE TOUCHED ME”
(2-CD Classic album)

“ELVIS SINGS GUITAR MAN”
(Vinyl 2-LP)

What’s not to like...

My boy

vivaelvis
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Follow That Dream Demise Premature:

With so many fantastic Elvis releases imminent, why are certain members intent on forecasting FTDs slow decline? I don’t see it –– you know, there really is something for everyone here. Furthermore the excellent FTD vinyl releases are selling out, proof of there popularity. Ernst and his team are the keepers of an Elvis Presley treasure trove, with Gold duly released at three monthly intervals. FTD never cease to amaze me with their superb Elvis releases which we are very fortunate to have. Ernst and the gang can do no wrong in my eyes and I’m sure there’s loads more to come, including many surprises. It has to be said that one day it may end – but let’s just enjoy the most fantastic and pleasurable of rides!

The most recent FTD:
Stage Rehearsal - criticised but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Pot Luck
(Vinyl 2-LP) - gorgeous vinyl with songs new to many...

Fashion For A King FTD Book & CD – coming in August a stunning encyclopaedic release including every jumpsuit ever worn by the King. In addition, two great sounding soundboard CDs will be included –– if you’re a jumpsuit junkie, this release is essential.

Additionally the September FTDs have wetted our appetites:

“48 HOURS TO MEMPHIS”
(The March 18, 1974, Richmond concert)

“HE TOUCHED ME”
(2-CD Classic album)

“ELVIS SINGS GUITAR MAN”
(Vinyl 2-LP)

What’s not to like...

My boy

I think the biggest argument has been the overkill of '76 and '77 soundboard shows when they have many shows from 1970-75 still unreleased in their vaults. These new upcoming releases are a breath of fresh air. however, Jorgensen hasn't be consistent with his releases on FTD so it could just be a break from bad issues. Hopefully it's not though.

And, what makes you think that the vinyl releases are selling out? Unless you have seen proof of this with your own eyes then it's probably not true. All that is is company saving face talk to make it look good for buyers to take the bait.

Jungleroom76
07-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Personally, I have been critical of several FTD releases at time, but despite those criticisms, I have always expressed my deepest appreciation to Ernst & Co. for their work on the FTD label. Could things be done differently no doubt...releases distributed at a slower pace to allow the fans to pick up the releases without having to shell out so much money all at one time, change release schedules so that so many shows from '76 aren't released so closely together, etc. But in the end, not many (if any) other artists have a special "collectors label" set up just for them, and without FTD, 99% of what these FTD releases have given us fans would most likely never have seen the light of day!! :hmm:

So while I am just as guilty of being critical of FTD releases as other are, I think ALL Elvis fans release the value of the label and certainly are appreciative of the work that Ernst and his team are doing, even if the fans do not necessarily like or agree with each release. Besides, discussions and yes, even criticisms, of the various Elvis releases on both the main label and the FTD label help to make for entertaining and interesting debates and conversations here on TCB-World!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

vivaelvis
07-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I buy all of my FTDs at Graceland Plaza when I go home. It saves a fortune in shipping costs. Plus, they're cheaper priced. My biggest knock with Ernst is his obsession with 1976-77 when they have those great shows from April 1972 sitting in the vaults drawing dust and in great sound quality. Since 2000, FTD has released 9 different concerts from '76-'77. That's way too many for the worst part of his career and life to be put out there. They need not to forget that some of those collectors are young fans too.

my boy
07-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I think the biggest argument has been the overkill of '76 and '77 soundboard shows when they have many shows from 1970-75 still unreleased in their vaults. These new upcoming releases are a breath of fresh air. however, Jorgensen hasn't be consistent with his releases on FTD so it could just be a break from bad issues. Hopefully it's not though.

And, what makes you think that the vinyl releases are selling out? Unless you have seen proof of this with your own eyes then it's probably not true. All that is is company saving face talk to make it look good for buyers to take the bait.

I avoid the '76/77 soundboards because I prefer the earlier concert material (1969-75) – 'Tucson '76' covers it for me! Also referring to jungleland76 comments about slower release dates, by missing some releases I'm cutting the cost and cherry picking my favourites...

As for vinyl –– there's a current vinyl explosion highlighted by the slim availability of previous Elvis FTD vinyl titles...

My boy;)

Jungleroom76
07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
I buy all of my FTDs at Graceland Plaza when I go home. It saves a fortune in shipping costs. Plus, they're cheaper priced. My biggest knock with Ernst is his obsession with 1976-77 when they have those great shows from April 1972 sitting in the vaults drawing dust and in great sound quality. Since 2000, FTD has released 9 different concerts from '76-'77. That's way too many for the worst part of his career and life to be put out there. They need not to forget that some of those collectors are young fans too.

I don't know if I would call Ernst's release of so many shows from '76-'77 an "obsession" per se...again, he is probably only doing the best he can with what he has. We'd all love to hear more shows from '70 and '71 for example, but those tapes are obviously a few years older than the tapes from '76 & '77 and the technology improved as Elvis' concert touring career went on, so my guess is the tapes from the later years are in better overall condition if for no other reason than because they are a little younger. :hmm:

Plus, as has been stated before, the shows were recorded so that new band members could be given copies of Elvis' shows to learn the songs when they joined the band. Obviously there was more band turnover as the concert years went on, so possibly one reason why there are more recordings from the later '70's than the early 70's. :hmm:

As for the April '72 material, we can all hope that the reason those still haven't shown up yet is so that RCA or FTD can do something with the material for an EOT anniversary. At least, let's hope that's the reason... ;)

Just a couple of thoughts about why there have been quite a few '76-'77 shows released so closely together lately... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

P.S. I'm jealous that you have the option to buy the FTD CD's when you "go home"...wish I could do that... :sad: ;)

Jungleroom76
07-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Also referring to jungleland76 comments about slower release dates, by missing some releases I'm cutting the cost and cherry picking my favourites...

My boy;)

Precisely my point!! The FTD label is for THE FANS, but so many releases come out at one time, it's hard for THE FANS to pick them all up because of the cost per release. Obviously not every fan wants to buy every release, but by spreading the releases out more, it gives the fans the option of whether to pick them all up or not, instead of forcing fans to have to "cherry pick" which ones to buy because they can't afford to buy them all at once!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

KPM
07-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I have no clue as to why Ernst seems to favor the 76-77 material other than a guess that this is the material that they have the best recordings of.
Since Elvis was for some reason not wanting to record willingly Felton began to record practically every concert in 76 and 77 in the hopes Elvis would do material that was not released that could be used for album fillers, so we know 76-77 has much more material to offer and, as Mike observed, probably a little better recorded because they were looking for potential material for release.
I have seen many reports that they have recordings from the prime 70 live years-but what if they are all wrong, or what if the tapes are not in good shape, or who knows...... what if SONY has said "save that better material for future releases... IE-LOST RECORDINGS"
Any one of these reasons is quite possible.....or it could be a combination of all of them.
I think Ernst does the best he can-under corporate constraints that we can only guess at, with no really totally new unreleased songs in the vaults.
Its like telling someone to build a brand new house-with no new materials for construction-that has to sell.

my boy
07-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Precisely my point!! The FTD label is for THE FANS, but so many releases come out at one time, it's hard for THE FANS to pick them all up because of the cost per release. Obviously not every fan wants to buy every release, but by spreading the releases out more, it gives the fans the option of whether to pick them all up or not, instead of forcing fans to have to "cherry pick" which ones to buy because they can't afford to buy them all at once!! (n)
TCB!
Mike

Mike – I wouldn't change the release dates: maybe Ernst thinks the plug will be pulled so get it out quick.!! However I see where your coming from but it's part of the fun picking and ordering the FTDs you really want. I appreciate many fans want to collect them all but as we've agreed it's not always financially viable.

Note: missed purchasing the 'Pot Luck' vinyl. May order around Christmas time with one or two additional FTDs I haven't picked up yet – great way for a FTD bonus treat don't you think? That's if I can afford it when Santa does the rounds...;);)

TCBDavid
07-23-2011, 08:47 PM
id love the fashion for a king release as i am a jumpsuit freak but its so expensive its a borderline rip off

my boy
07-24-2011, 02:24 AM
id love the fashion for a king release as i am a jumpsuit freak but its so expensive its a borderline rip off
It is expensive but worth saving for...

debtdbruno
07-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Personally, I have been critical of several FTD releases at time, but despite those criticisms, I have always expressed my deepest appreciation to Ernst & Co. for their work on the FTD label. Could things be done differently no doubt...releases distributed at a slower pace to allow the fans to pick up the releases without having to shell out so much money all at one time, change release schedules so that so many shows from '76 aren't released so closely together, etc. But in the end, not many (if any) other artists have a special "collectors label" set up just for them, and without FTD, 99% of what these FTD releases have given us fans would most likely never have seen the light of day!! :hmm:

So while I am just as guilty of being critical of FTD releases as other are, I think ALL Elvis fans release the value of the label and certainly are appreciative of the work that Ernst and his team are doing, even if the fans do not necessarily like or agree with each release. Besides, discussions and yes, even criticisms, of the various Elvis releases on both the main label and the FTD label help to make for entertaining and interesting debates and conversations here on TCB-World!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

agree totally Mike(y)(y)(y)

Withe the 76-77 shows I pick and choose............can't be doing with all the 'solo' slots............find them very boring (and paying out money for nothing)

rickb
07-24-2011, 04:10 AM
There has to be a use-by date for FTD simply because there is a finite amount of unreleased studio material.
Which could explain why there have been so many 76-77 live concerts

Raised on Rock
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
FTD is such a treat! period. Its the envy of any Beatle fan.

Sure not all releases are going to be outstanding, just as not every concert or every song performed and recorded by Elvis was.

Why so meny '76-'77 well... the FTD days are counted, not because its not sellling, or fans loosing interest, but because the vaults soon are going to be empty (5 to 10 years at least and the game is over), and so: YOU WANT TO SAVE THE BEST FOR THE END ISN'T IT? you want the final bunch of releases to be epic! so, maybe right now is the time to get rid of the not so much interesting stuff (at least for many) and leave some neat surprices for the last run.

Well... that's my theory, what do I know. I'm so happy with the release of He Touched Me on the Classic albums and this vinyl series that´s for sure.

debtdbruno
07-25-2011, 03:10 AM
I like your thoughts R on R

would be great to thing that there's some gems left...................only time will tell eh?

Jungleroom76
07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
....YOU WANT TO SAVE THE BEST FOR THE END ISN'T IT? you want the final bunch of releases to be epic! so, maybe right now is the time to get rid of the not so much interesting stuff (at least for many) and leave some neat surprices for the last run.

Well... that's my theory, what do I know. I'm so happy with the release of He Touched Me on the Classic albums and this vinyl series that´s for sure.

Definitely an interesting theory... :hmm:

Perhaps whenever the FTD label sadly comes to a close, their final release will be Elvis' final concert from Indianapolis?? Certainly would be an appropriate way to bring the label to an end. Let's just hope that doesn't happen for a long time yet...although as we've said before, the FTD label is clearly a finite project.

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Definitely an interesting theory... :hmm:

Perhaps whenever the FTD label sadly comes to a close, their final release will be Elvis' final concert from Indianapolis?? Certainly would be an appropriate way to bring the label to an end. Let's just hope that doesn't happen for a long time yet...although as we've said before, the FTD label is clearly a finite project.

TCB!
Mike

As you say FTD is a finite project, when that's going to happen, we don´t know. But I think Ernst and company have already got a neat calendar about that, and if you know more or less when the game is going to finish, it will be smart to build up a nice goodbye and not just let boat sunk all sad, you know what I mean? So I think there must be some neat surprises for the last year. It will be clever, that´s what I´m saying.

Elvis last concert could be for sure one of the last releases, or an "Elvis In Concert (CBS special album)" related proyect. I also tend to believe that the Sun project that Erns talks so much about it will also be some of the gems reserved for the last run of FTD. I hope they don´t save "Promised Land" for the last as I want it NOW!! lol.

Raised on Rock
07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
I like your thoughts R on R

would be great to thing that there's some gems left...................only time will tell eh?

As you say, we will see... There´s not much left, but still, with good planning, I think FTD can still surprise us.

Jungleroom76
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
As you say FTD is a finite project, when that's going to happen, we don´t know. But I think Ernst and company have already got a neat calendar about that, and if you know more or less when the game is going to finish, it will be smart to build up a nice goodbye and not just let boat sunk all sad, you know what I mean? So I think there must be some neat surprises for the last year. It will be clever, that´s what I´m saying.

Elvis last concert could be for sure one of the last releases, or an "Elvis In Concert (CBS special album)" related proyect. I also tend to believe that the Sun project that Erns talks so much about it will also be some of the gems reserved for the last run of FTD. I hope they don´t save "Promised Land" for the last as I want it NOW!! lol.

I'm there with you on that one my friend!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

my boy
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I think FTD discover long lost Elvis gems on wrongly labelled tapes so it's a work in progress. Obviously the well will run dry one day but as I mentioned in my aforementioned post I think there's plenty more surprises in store...

Raised on Rock
07-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I think FTD discover long lost Elvis gems on wrongly labelled tapes so it's a work in progress. Obviously the well will run dry one day but as I mentioned in my aforementioned post I think there's plenty more surprises in store...

Don't know which your source is as I haven´t heard that one, but if true... that's exciting!!! there are a few missing session tapes in Elvis story until now, it would be such a treat if they one day happen to come to light.