PDA

View Full Version : An Elvis On Tour box set on the horizon?

vivaelvis
06-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Seeing how Sony is repackaging the complete year of '56, the 55th anniversary of that historical year, I'm really beginning to think now that we just might get an official box set of the long overdue 'Elvis On Tour' material next year for the 40th anniversary. Seeing at how badly this material has been wanted by the fanbase for a long time it would make sense for them to commercialize it to cash in. This is just speculation at this point, but it could be something like this.

ELVIS ON TOUR -The Box Set
Disc1-Hampton Roads, VA-April 9, 1972
Disc2-Richmond, VA-April 10, 1972
Disc3-Greensboro, NC-April 14, 1972
Disc4-All 7 studio masters and rehearsals from March-April, 1972.

Thoughts?

Hitchie
06-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I hope they will do that.

TCBDavid
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
i think the chances of them doing this are slim to none, realistically its unlikely to be a financially worth it thats main reason im sure the ttwii stuff hasnt officially appeared

vivaelvis
06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
i think the chances of them doing this are slim to none, realistically its unlikely to be a financially worth it thats main reason im sure the ttwii stuff hasnt officially appeared

Um, they've already done a set for That's the Way It Is.

Brian Quinn
06-21-2011, 05:49 AM
I would definately buy such a release. I would also buy a Remastered MSG Box Set.

I think we will eventually get these items but when is the issue. Hopefully sooner than later. One would have thought that one or the other would be released in time for their 2012 40th Anniversaries. But it is SONY we are talking about here!!!

Brian :hmm:

Jimmy1966
06-21-2011, 07:08 AM
I Would Defo Buy This...Without Hesitation.

KPM
06-21-2011, 09:24 AM
We'll see.

vivaelvis
06-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Even if they gave us a single disc with the Hampton Roads show, minus the Stamps solo, I would be satisfied. FTD then could release the remaining shows whenever. As a long time fan, I grew up on EOT more than any other movie in Elvis' catalog. But, as being picky, I want a box set of all three remaining unreleased shows and rehearsals.

TCBDavid
06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Um, they've already done a set for That's the Way It Is.

sorry i miss read the original post i thought it was referring to footage not the soundtracks

vivaelvis
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
No problem.

Raised on Rock
06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Well an Elvis on Tour Box set would be neat! I would add the San Antonio show to your box set, even if that was already released in another one.

Somehow, I think next year legacy will be focusing on the MSG original album rather than E.O.T.

Maybe FTD will deliver the E.O.T stuff while Legacy the MSG stuff?

vivaelvis
06-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Well an Elvis on Tour Box set would be neat! I would add the San Antonio show to your box set, even if that was already released in another one.

Somehow, I think next year legacy will be focusing on the MSG original album rather than E.O.T.

I can't see them pushing the EOT material to FTD now after years of refusing to releasing it on there to begin with. IMHO, Ernst would have already given us one of the shows on there by now if that were the case. This is how I see it. Legacy remixes the two Garden shows for a double set in June for the 40th anniversary, then later in 2012, Sony gives us either a box set or a single disc of the long overdue unreleased Hampton Roads concert.

Unchained Melody
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
if you are talking about footage, i doubt it, audio, I see ftd covering that for us.

vivaelvis
06-21-2011, 06:18 PM
if you are talking about footage, i doubt it, audio, I see ftd covering that for us.

Again, that would have already been done by now if it were the case. Sony decides what is or isn't commercial material. Not Ernst or FTD.

Jungleroom76
06-22-2011, 02:27 PM

I have a feeling THAT will be the way FTD/Legacy goes next year... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

KPM
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Again, that would have already been done by now if it were the case. Sony decides what is or isn't commercial material. Not Ernst or FTD.
Well I'm sure Ernst has a say-I mean they pay him to take care of Elvis Presleys recordings-ultimately Sony makes a decision based on many peoples input and Ernst would be one of those.

vivaelvis
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Well I'm sure Ernst has a say-I mean they pay him to take care of Elvis Presleys recordings-ultimately Sony makes a decision based on many peoples input and Ernst would be one of those.

Ernst is lmited. He only has a say in what is released on FTD that Sony feels isn't commercial material.

KPM
06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Ernst is lmited. He only has a say in what is released on FTD that Sony feels isn't commercial material.
Well Ernst worked on and advised on putting out the deluxe box sets for the 50s 60s and 70s-they listened then? He certainly was instrumental in many releases that were not FTD, such as Rhythm and Blues the TTWII boxset, etc......Ernst was in the forefront of 30#1s and Second to None he supervised in the remastering of all the originals for each. Those are the 2 most successful commercial projects for Elvis in many many years.
Sony execs do not sit around deciding what is the next commercial release for each artist-like all companies they have people who make recommendations about what the next big project should be and then the execs give the green light or say no.
If Ernst is not that guy for Elvis music(FTD or Commercial) who is?

KPM
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
In respect to Ernst and his standing with Sony I think this should show he is not just around for the FTD label-more likely the FTD label is around because of him:
Home
Ernst Jørgensen talks about mastering the music of Elvis Presley
By: Ken Sharp
Source: Record Collector
Elvis Articles, Elvis Interviews, By Ken Sharp

When you're an Elvis Presley fan, if a newly released CD, book or DVD has the name Ernst Mikael Jørgensen stamped upon it, you're guaranteed one thing, a flawlessly executed, rigorously researched and historically sound project of exceptional quality, class, and listenability.
From his highly praised work on the loving restoration of Elvis' entire catalog to his studied expertise co-producing the definitive career box sets, The King of Rock 'n' Roll: The Complete 50's Masters, From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential 60's Masters, Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential 70's Masters, Elvis: Live In Las Vegas, Elvis: Close Up, Platinum: A Life in Music, and recent global blockbusters, Elvis: 30 # 1 Hits, and 2nd To None, Jørgensen, along with partner Roger Semon, has been the true keeper of Elvis' musical legacy. Jørgensen, Grammy nominated reissue producer, dedicated archivist, seasoned researcher and acclaimed author (Elvis Day By Day, Elvis: A Life in Music) has dedicated his life's work to the careful preservation, graceful restoration and crafty revitalization of Elvis Presley's musical output.

Since the Nineties, Ernst Jørgensen has meticulously treated Elvis' musical legacy with immense care, respect, scholarly integrity and historical perspective and insight. He's also proven to be a wily detective as well, unearthing treasure trove after treasure trove of released and unreleased Elvis recordings.Elvis couldn't have a better champion in his corner than Ernst. Quite simply he has set the bar for how one should protect, maintain and nurture an artist's catalog.......

Raised on Rock
06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I have a feeling THAT will be the way FTD/Legacy goes next year... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Yep, I got that feeling too.

FTD will got me if they release a nice Book/CD like Flashback or the recent King Creole covering Elvis on Tour, some of the full concerts like Hampton Roads or the Greensboro show, some rehearsals, and some of the long interviews Elvis gave to the director.

A double Cd with the original MSG album plus the An Afternoon in the Garden, plus '72 singles, would be the expected way to go for Legacy. If they want to go box set and add an April '72 show, well that would be cool!

Anyway, right now I'm on cloud nine with the soon to be released: Young Man With The Big Beat, isn't it the coolest thing ever?

Jungleroom76
06-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Yep, I got that feeling too.

FTD will got me if they release a nice Book/CD like Flashback or the recent King Creole covering Elvis on Tour, some of the full concerts like Hampton Roads or the Greensboro show, some rehearsals, and some of the long interviews Elvis gave to the director.

I suspect this is the way FTD will go with at least some of the EOT material as well!! :hmm:

A double Cd with the original MSG album plus the An Afternoon in the Garden, plus '72 singles, would be the expected way to go for Legacy. If they want to go box set and add an April '72 show, well that would be cool!

Yeah, it's almost a given that we'll see a LEGACY MSG/AFTERNOON MSG release next year to mark the 40th anniversary...I'd be shocked if it didn't happen!! ;)

Anyway, right now I'm on cloud nine with the soon to be released: Young Man With The Big Beat, isn't it the coolest thing ever?

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the YOUNG MAN release AND that it was coming out on the main label as well!! I know lots of people have been commenting that a majority of the set has been previously released, and I know that is true, but as Ernst has said before...it's getting harder and harder to find unreleased Elvis material, ESPECIALLY material from the 50's. So to be getting this unreleased Louisiana Hayride show is certainly a pleasant surprise for sure!! And the packaging...STUNNING!!! :clap:

Usually I am not impressed with much that the main label puts out, but this time I truly have to tip my hat to Sony/RCA for this project!! Can't wait to have it in my hands, that's for sure!!! :notworthy

TCB!
Mike