PDA

View Full Version : do you still listen /collect audience recordings ?

lvelvis
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
it seems that over the past 3 years that the bootleggers have used up all their soundboard tapes and are now pressing a.r. cds , not since the early eighties have i seen such a resurgence in audience recordings . My question is are they still worth buying or collecting many of them have a better booklet than content . I just hate hearing a show with 3 drunks gigling all through the show and ELVIS sounding like he is performing behind a matress, but i guess the days of labels like DAE, BAXTER, etc.. and the rate of which they used to show up in your mail box are gone.

Jungleroom76
05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks to the people that are skilled at remastering audience recordings using some of the computer programs out there these days, audience recordings in general have become much more listenable than they were years ago in my opinion. :hmm:

I had gotten out of the habit of purchasing import CD's for a while due to a variety of reasons, but lately I've gotten back into it mainly due to the number of great releases that have been coming out. For example, the recent release FUNNY HOW TIME SLIPS AWAY featuring Elvis' show from Providence, R.I. in May '77 is an audience recording, but a very listenable one. This is the only audience recording I have obtained lately, but I have my eye on a few others to add to my collection... ;)

Generally speaking, because I enjoy listening to Elvis' concerts, I still do collect audience recordings for the most part. :D

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
05-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I've had a break from purchasing any new Elvis cd's as of late and am getting back into it.

I've always been a big fan of good warm sounding audience recordings and of course soundboards....anyone who has any they would perfer please feel free to post here or PM!

Albert
05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I know many audience recordings, but only decided to buy a few:

* Adios, The Final Performance
* Since Cincinatti
* Pittsburg dec 31 1976

I can do without the last one, but the first two are one of my alltime favorite live shows. The dynamic is extreme and puts you right in the audience as if being there. Basicly you'd expect that from all audience recordings, but most of the time the opposite is true due to the flat sound. That flat, dry sound also destroys many of the soundboard recordings, making them even worse than the better audience recordings.