PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Reminisces About His Acting Career

Brian Quinn
02-14-2011, 09:47 AM
For those who have not already heard this.

Please go to the following URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3O3wTON9g

Brian :sad:

KPM
02-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I have heard this before and to me the most telling comments are these (paraphrased) below:

"I was contractually obigated 4 years in advance........I cared too much.......I would get physically ill"

"I didn't know what to do.....I was heavily obligated in advance.............if did not change-it would not change"

kathy parkinson
02-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Loved that Brian, thank you.

Diane
02-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I'd never heard this. Sure was an unhappy guy with the way things were handled for him....not a surprise and no one could blame him.

Thanks for this Brian.

Tigerman1975
02-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I have never heard this before. Thanks for posting.

Albert
02-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I'd never heard this. Sure was an unhappy guy with the way things were handled for him....not a surprise and no one could blame him.

Thanks for this Brian.

And still he let the Colonel do exactly the same during the 70s with the Las Vegas shows

Never heard this, thank for sharing... very sad to hear Elvis say what we already knew. "it's nobody's fault, except my own"... **** right!

I never understood why Elvis didn't take acting classes during the 60s. If you look at his schedule in the mid-60s, he had plenty of time between the shooting of the several movies.

Too bad he had this expensive lifestyle which made those movie contracts seem almost necessary.

May
02-15-2011, 05:52 AM
This is rather sad.
I read that Lamar Fike said "Elvis died of apathy" and he sure sounds like he was totally fed up in this clip.
It seems it's the usual issue of how the Colonel managed Elvis - why Elvis didn't sack the Colonel - and what the Colonel 'had over him' etc etc.

Anyone know what year it was?
Thanks for posting Brian.

Joe Car
02-15-2011, 06:20 AM
This is such a fascinating at the same time, sad "interview" if you will, especially the last minute. What upsets me, (as I'm sure it does you guys as well), is the fact that we all know how important being a respected actor meant to Elvis and to hear his frustration, really bugs me, because it didn't have to be this way! He was locked in to contracts, which as we all know, happened in Vegas later on.

Diane
02-15-2011, 08:10 AM
And still he let the Colonel do exactly the same during the 70s with the Las Vegas shows

Never heard this, thank for sharing... very sad to hear Elvis say what we already knew. "it's nobody's fault, except my own"... **** right!

I never understood why Elvis didn't take acting classes during the 60s. If you look at his schedule in the mid-60s, he had plenty of time between the shooting of the several movies.

Too bad he had this expensive lifestyle which made those movie contracts seem almost necessary.

I hate to admit it but you are right. He should have stood up for himself right after he got out of the army.

debtdbruno
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
This is rather sad.
I read that Lamar Fike said "Elvis died of apathy" and he sure sounds like he was totally fed up in this clip.
It seems it's the usual issue of how the Colonel managed Elvis - why Elvis didn't sack the Colonel - and what the Colonel 'had over him' etc etc.

Anyone know what year it was?
Thanks for posting Brian.

It was part of the interview for On Tour in 72 May...............

debtdbruno
02-15-2011, 03:36 PM

so sad, but unfortunately very true:(

KPM
02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Well it still IMO boils down to "the Colonel had the mind tricks in his snowman ways"
He knew exactly what buttons to push, what parts to massage, what egos to stroke-yet make sure Elvis (and Vernon) felt that Parker was indespensible to Elvis and his career. IT worked-Parker had to be a real masters at seeing the flaws, weaknesses, and insecurities in people and then knowing how to exploit them. I agree Elvis should have caught on-but its easy to say when we did not directly deal with "The Col."
Director/Script Writer Hal Kanter said he was fascinated by Parker (more than Elvis) but did not trust Parker in any way shape or form. He realised that Parker did not have one artistic bone in his body-except for money making.

Albert
02-18-2011, 02:47 AM
And we shouldn't forget that it was a lot of fun shooting those movies. According to members of the Memphis mafia, other actors and extras there was a lot of fun on the sets. So the work itself wasn't bad, but the final result was disappointing to Elvis

Steamroller Blues
02-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Elvis said this during an interview he did for the Elvis On Tour, Most of narration Elvis gives in the film are from these interviews.