PDA

View Full Version : Did Engelbert Humperdinck influence Elvis' look?:

presley31
12-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Singer Engelbert Humperdinck has recently told the media that he has the high-collars and sideburns first. "I had them in 1965 and Elvis put his on in 1972! The true story is this, Elvis had a lady sketching him to find an outfit for him to go on his world tour. That's where the white jump suit came in. She designed this white jumpsuit with the high collar and the long black side-burns. She presented it to him and he went (in Elvis voice) 'Hell, that's not me, that's Engelbert Humperdinck'. So therefore you know who had it first".
Elvis and Engelbert were great friends. 'I loved the man,' he said. 'The first time I met him he had come to meet me. He came to see my show first before I went to see him. Believe me, it took me a good 10 minutes to quieten the audience down once I introduced him. He stood up and he had a cape on and he opened the cape as he stood in the booth in Las Vegas with the cape open like Batman. The audience went absolutely berserk and I said 'shhhh, this is my show'. No, I couldn't quieten them down. So I brought out some of my big gun songs to try - which worked in the end. Elvis came backstage and he said 'thank you very much, what a great show'. This is how humble he was. He said 'thank you for introducing me'. Elvis! I said 'Elvis, I can't thank you enough for being at my show'. Elvis was such a nice guy, a very nice guy."
(News, Source;SanjaM/ElvisInfoNetwork)

Diane
12-08-2010, 07:58 AM
No, I don't believe Humperdinck influenced Elvis in any way. They may have been friends but I guess I'm just tired of everyone's trying to look more important to Elvis than they really were.

Thanks for the read though Jen.

Raised on Rock
12-08-2010, 09:19 AM
"I had them in 1965 and Elvis put his on in 1972! The true story is this, Elvis had a lady sketching him to find an outfit for him to go on his world tour".

Elvis actually started using the high collars in '68 with the black leather suit he used on the comeback special. It was Bill Belew who came up with the idea, and kept using it with the two piece suits Elvis used in '69, and then with the jumpsuits that came in '70. Bill wasn't thinking of Engelbert, napoleonic collars was simply something around, like bell bottoms little later.

Same with the long sideburns, Elvis decided to grow them back around '68 simply cause he feel like doing it, and it was just something fashionable then, (guess Lennon and all the hippies copied Engelbert too), and fitted Elvis perfectly as he errr.. was known for his then long sideburns back in the 50's?

Sonny
12-08-2010, 10:30 AM
The real matter is (if anything is real when discussing this) is that Elvis probably was not to keen on Humperdinck. Maybe at first, but not later on. Does anyone remember the Priscilla story about Humperdinck? Maybe also not completely true, but hey, the man's name is doubtful to begin with ;) Kidding here of course.

And the high collars, well, it was just a fashion, also for common folks back in those days. Men, wore shirts with high collars, and men had sideburns in the late sixties, and seventies. Not a big deal.

Elvis just went with the fashion back then I guess.

debtdbruno
12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Another celeb trying to 'overinflate' their importance in 'The Elvis Story'..............

Tommy
12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Elvis was always the first with style, it started back in the 50's with his sidburns, and turning is collar up. I am tired of eveyone trying to take something away from Elvis and give themselves the credit.

Elvis was foremost and first with style. (y)

janice mcclelland
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Elvis was always the first with style, it started back in the 50's with his sidburns, and turning is collar up. I am tired of eveyone trying to take something away from Elvis and give themselves the credit.

(y)Totally agree!

Raised on Rock
12-08-2010, 10:58 AM

And that's it, you got it right for sure.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-08-2010, 11:10 AM
It wouldn't matter to me even if Elvis copied Engelbert Humperstink, whatever Elvis did he made it his own, people don't where Jumpsuits wear aviator glasses and false sideburns to look like Engelbert do they??

JRtherealJR
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
There are so many things wrong with Engelbert's story that it's hard to know where to begin.

And it's not the first time he has told this either- I remember he told a similar story on the Big Breakfast years ago.

Reading the story above, it makes it sound as though the jumpsuit and the longer 1972-era sideburns came about instantly and simultaneously, when in fact all of the fans know that the long sideburns evolved gradually as did the jumpsuit which evolved from the 2-piece outfits.

The "jumpsuit era" Elvis was a very natural evolution over many years- and was not the result of a single overnight styling session which Engelbert seems to think is the case!

And Engelbert conveniently forgets that Elvis had sideburns since 1953! In fact there is a circa. 1953 picture of Elvis holding a pipe and dressed in a white suit where his sideburns are super-long......way before anyone had even heard of Engelbert Humperdink.

spanish eyes
12-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Elvis had his own style from High School, he had sideburns back then, he stayed true to himself even when others gave him a hard time about it.

He followed his own fashion, he dressed for himself, he never copied anyone.

Raised on Rock
12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Engelbert Humperdinck, what and influential artist isn't he? pffff.... sorry couldn't resist.

monk37
12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I think people should stop taking credit for Elvis and start recognizing what they learned from him

I am very weary of these 70's guys coming out of the woodwork now to tell tall tales about Elvis - Tom Jones indeed.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-08-2010, 10:12 PM
There is a reason these guys use Elvis, they simply want some of that superstar kudos to rob off on to them. If you can bring up Elvis in a conversation naturally people think this guy must have been good if Elvis went to see them?

Ask any teenager who Enhelbert is and then ask who Elvis is and I bet they are more inclined to know who Elvis is.

monk37
12-09-2010, 01:06 AM
I think it's funny that Elvis had an unusual name and kept it

while "engelbert" had a regular name and changed it to that weird and rather sophomoric stage name

molokai123
12-09-2010, 08:45 AM
right on the nose my friend!

molokai123
12-09-2010, 08:46 AM
also right on the nose!!
There are so many things wrong with Engelbert's story that it's hard to know where to begin.

And it's not the first time he has told this either- I remember he told a similar story on the Big Breakfast years ago.

Reading the story above, it makes it sound as though the jumpsuit and the longer 1972-era sideburns came about instantly and simultaneously, when in fact all of the fans know that the long sideburns evolved gradually as did the jumpsuit which evolved from the 2-piece outfits.

The "jumpsuit era" Elvis was a very natural evolution over many years- and was not the result of a single overnight styling session which Engelbert seems to think is the case!

And Engelbert conveniently forgets that Elvis had sideburns since 1953! In fact there is a circa. 1953 picture of Elvis holding a pipe and dressed in a white suit where his sideburns are super-long......way before anyone had even heard of Engelbert Humperdink.

rocknroll
12-09-2010, 09:28 AM
I don't see anything accurate in that story. Old age is rough on some people.

SleepyJack
12-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I sometimes think that that a lot of these people...like Emptybutt Humbletwink and Tom Jones etc. spent so much time living in the shadows of Elvis that they are now just happy to take any bit of second-hand credit that they can get their hands on.It`s all a bit on the sad side really.

janice mcclelland
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I sometimes think that that a lot of these people...like Emptybutt Humbletwink and Tom Jones etc. spent so much time living in the shadows of Elvis that they are now just happy to take any bit of second-hand credit that they can get their hands on.It`s all a bit on the sad side really.
:lol::lmfao::blink::laughing::wacko:Love it!

Cliff
12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Just reading though this thread it always amazes me how these things end up putting down someone or somebody who has made some statement about Elvis, whether true or not. The way some people respond with their replies it's as if they were close personal friends of Elvis'.
As far as I know, the side-burns came from the truckers that Elvis used to see in the day. His hair style was said to come from seeing Tony Curtis in a movie.
I'm certain, as Sonny has said, that Elvis was influenced by the fashion of the day. After all, he would have been silly still doing the 50's fashion in the mid sixties. Styles and fashions change as do musical tastes, and an artist has to change with them to survive.
As has been stated many times Elvis was a born mimic. They say that in the early days of Sun they had a job getting him to sing original songs as he always wanted to sing songs by his favourite artists. Lets not forget that Sam Phillips said he was looking for a white man with a black man's sound. And where did this come from? Surely it came from Elvis being infuenced by the black artists he admired.
Bill Belew did design the jump suits and it is stated that he was influenced by circus performers. Also if you watch the clip below of Gene Vincent even the leather suit was not original. You'll also note that Gene Vincent is wearing one glove. Was Michael Jackson influenced by this? Who knows.
To say Elvis was the first in style is completely wrong. He did take a lot of things and made them his own.
As they say, nothing is new under the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHNSVuNjUI

Raised on Rock
12-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Just reading though this thread it always amazes me how these things end up putting down someone or somebody who has made some statement about Elvis, whether true or not. The way some people respond with their replies it's as if they were close personal friends of Elvis'.
As far as I know, the side-burns came from the truckers that Elvis used to see in the day. His hair style was said to come from seeing Tony Curtis in a movie.
I'm certain, as Sonny has said, that Elvis was influenced by the fashion of the day. After all, he would have been silly still doing the 50's fashion in the mid sixties. Styles and fashions change as do musical tastes, and an artist has to change with them to survive.
As has been stated many times Elvis was a born mimic. They say that in the early days of Sun they had a job getting him to sing original songs as he always wanted to sing songs by his favourite artists. Lets not forget that Sam Phillips said he was looking for a white man with a black man's sound. And where did this come from? Surely it came from Elvis being infuenced by the black artists he admired.
Bill Belew did design the jump suits and it is stated that he was influenced by circus performers. Also if you watch the clip below of Gene Vincent even the leather suit was not original. You'll also note that Gene Vincent is wearing one glove. Was Michael Jackson influenced by this? Who knows.
To say Elvis was the first in style is completely wrong. He did take a lot of things and made them his own.
As they say, nothing is new under the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHNSVuNjUI

I don't think nobody has stated here that Elvis "INVENTED" sideburns or highcollars, or rock and roll even.

Of course Elvis way of dress or the way he used his hair, was took from fashion around. As I posted, the high collar and the long 70's sideburns where just fashion of the day, just as bell bottoms in Elvis jumpsuits, Bill Belew has stated that he created those first jumpsuits, based on what was fashinable in the street back in the day, same thing might apply for the '68 comback clothing. Yes, same back in the 50's, his way of dress was something he took from fashion of the day. Pink was THE thing in '55.

In terms of music, of course, without country music, gosplel music, the blues, the r&b, the pop crooners, there would have been no Elvis the way we know him.

Now, does that mean Elvis was not and original? that he didn't bring anything new to music and fashion? NO, it means Elvis originality, his unique style of dressing (on and off stage, 50's 60's or 70's) was well as his unique musical sound through '54-'77, came as something so radical, so anew, because of the let's say, peculiar and rebelious way that he blended all those existing things.

That being clear, one thing is that we was influenced by fashion and music of the day, that he keept reinventing himself by cheeking around new artists, new sounds, and yes new fashion, and another very different thing was that he just copied and specific artist, as Mr Humperdinck implies on his statment. (One based on an unexisting lady designing for a world tour in '72???)

Sure, Humperdinck had high collars and long sideburns first than Elvis, but that means nothing, Engelbert didn't invented those and introduce them into the fashion of the day neither, and the way he applied those, was not as original, neither as cool and influential as the way Elvis used those items around in fashion.

Yes Gene Vincent used black leather on stage before Elvis, but there are also lots of 50's and early 60's photos of Elvis in black leather jacket and pants although not on stage, that when Gene was still not using black leather. But once again, black leather was something that came into rock music via 50's bikers culture, it wasn't Elvis copying Gene or anybody.

Yes, black leather became Genes trademark, but he didn't invented that, neither I've seen Gene claiming Elvis copied him for the '68 special. Neither I've seen Elvis claiming the world copied him, yet Gene and Elvis are way influential and lots copy them. Englebert Humperdink what? and then he claims what?

monk37
12-09-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't think anyone's thinking they were Elvis' close friend

there's just a certain knee jerk sensitivity for some fans, especially anyone who was a fan in the 80's the decade Elvis was a bit of a laughing stock with all the love children and sleazy books

what's really sad to me is that Elvis started in the 50's and it's not until 60 years later that he's almost being given artistic credit that folks who followed after got to take for granted

so anyone chipping at him, is annoying and pretty much deserves a smack down

Cliff
12-10-2010, 03:53 AM
I don't think nobody has stated here that Elvis "INVENTED" sideburns or highcollars, or rock and roll even.

Of course Elvis way of dress or the way he used his hair, was took from fashion around. As I posted, the high collar and the long 70's sideburns where just fashion of the day, just as bell bottoms in Elvis jumpsuits, Bill Belew has stated that he created those first jumpsuits, based on what was fashinable in the street back in the day, same thing might apply for the '68 comback clothing. Yes, same back in the 50's, his way of dress was something he took from fashion of the day. Pink was THE thing in '55.

In terms of music, of course, without country music, gosplel music, the blues, the r&b, the pop crooners, there would have been no Elvis the way we know him.

Now, does that mean Elvis was not and original? that he didn't bring anything new to music and fashion? NO, it means Elvis originality, his unique style of dressing (on and off stage, 50's 60's or 70's) was well as his unique musical sound through '54-'77, came as something so radical, so anew, because of the let's say, peculiar and rebelious way that he blended all those existing things.

That being clear, one thing is that we was influenced by fashion and music of the day, that he keept reinventing himself by cheeking around new artists, new sounds, and yes new fashion, and another very different thing was that he just copied and specific artist, as Mr Humperdinck implies on his statment. (One based on an unexisting lady designing for a world tour in '72???)

Sure, Humperdinck had high collars and long sideburns first than Elvis, but that means nothing, Engelbert didn't invented those and introduce them into the fashion of the day neither, and the way he applied those, was not as original, neither as cool and influential as the way Elvis used those items around in fashion.

Yes Gene Vincent used black leather on stage before Elvis, but there are also lots of 50's and early 60's photos of Elvis in black leather jacket and pants although not on stage, that when Gene was still not using black leather. But once again, black leather was something that came into rock music via 50's bikers culture, it wasn't Elvis copying Gene or anybody.

Yes, black leather became Genes trademark, but he didn't invented that, neither I've seen Gene claiming Elvis copied him for the '68 special. Neither I've seen Elvis claiming the world copied him, yet Gene and Elvis are way influential and lots copy them. Englebert Humperdink what? and then he claims what?

I do not believe that I accused anyone of saying Elvis invented these things. But statements like "Elvis was the first in style" come close to it.
I do feel that the one thing Elvis bought to the entertainment field was charisma. He had a magic that no one else had, or has had since. As I have stated before, he had a presence that there really is no word in the English language to discribe. Charisma does not even discribe it. He was and still is a unique human being.
Forgetting about Humperdinck, lets not forget others who had a great influence on the trends and styles of the 60s and they were The Beatles. Love them or hate them you can not take this away from them. They too wore leather in their Hamburg days. Leather has always been associated with the 'bad boy' Rock 'n Roll image. Should I mention Marlon Brando in "The Wild Ones" ? Another favourite of Elvis'.
You could start a whole Thesis on this subject as it is so complex, with various theories and opinions. Mine has just been one of them. And that is why it is called a forum.

Tigerman1975
12-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Singer Engelbert Humperdinck has recently told the media that he has the high-collars and sideburns first. "I had them in 1965 and Elvis put his on in 1972! The true story is this, Elvis had a lady sketching him to find an outfit for him to go on his world tour. That's where the white jump suit came in. She designed this white jumpsuit with the high collar and the long black side-burns. She presented it to him and he went (in Elvis voice) 'Hell, that's not me, that's Engelbert Humperdinck'. So therefore you know who had it first".
Elvis and Engelbert were great friends. 'I loved the man,' he said. 'The first time I met him he had come to meet me. He came to see my show first before I went to see him. Believe me, it took me a good 10 minutes to quieten the audience down once I introduced him. He stood up and he had a cape on and he opened the cape as he stood in the booth in Las Vegas with the cape open like Batman. The audience went absolutely berserk and I said 'shhhh, this is my show'. No, I couldn't quieten them down. So I brought out some of my big gun songs to try - which worked in the end. Elvis came backstage and he said 'thank you very much, what a great show'. This is how humble he was. He said 'thank you for introducing me'. Elvis! I said 'Elvis, I can't thank you enough for being at my show'. Elvis was such a nice guy, a very nice guy."
(News, Source;SanjaM/ElvisInfoNetwork)

hmmmmm. I dont think he influenced Elvis' look at all. i think its the other way around. Look at it this way. Who is known for the high collars and sideburns?

SleepyJack
12-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I don`t think anyone is suggesting that Elvis invented fashion,or sideburns,or high-collars...but he was as unique and cool in his fashion-sense as he was with his charisma and musical talent.It was a big part of the whole package that made up Elvis the entertainer.Before Elvis entertainers pretty much wore clothes to blend in with their contemporaries and keep up with the styles of the day...the clothes that Elvis wore in the `50s must have seemed outrageous to some people at the time...and,like the music,a bit too heavily influenced by the styles of black people.I don`t think fashion played much of a part in music until then...it does now.
It is a bit much to think that Elvis "invented" his fashion-sense out of thin air..of course he was influenced by what he saw around him and took ideas from other people.Any jibes aimed at Engalbob Humptydump are more to do with just being tired of all these celebrities tying their name to Elvis,no matter how trivial or fanciful their notions are....and so what if some of us get a bit on the defensive side when it comes to Elvis...hardly worth starting a war over is it?

Raised on Rock
12-10-2010, 04:54 PM
I do not believe that I accused anyone of saying Elvis invented these things. But statements like "Elvis was the first in style" come close to it.
I do feel that the one thing Elvis bought to the entertainment field was charisma. He had a magic that no one else had, or has had since. As I have stated before, he had a presence that there really is no word in the English language to discribe. Charisma does not even discribe it. He was and still is a unique human being.
Forgetting about Humperdinck, lets not forget others who had a great influence on the trends and styles of the 60s and they were The Beatles. Love them or hate them you can not take this away from them. They too wore leather in their Hamburg days. Leather has always been associated with the 'bad boy' Rock 'n Roll image. Should I mention Marlon Brando in "The Wild Ones" ? Another favourite of Elvis'.
You could start a whole Thesis on this subject as it is so complex, with various theories and opinions. Mine has just been one of them. And that is why it is called a forum.

Because It is a forum was answering back, I wanted to chat with you. I'm not attacking you or anything like that. Cool it!

To say there was not charisma in entertainers before Elvis is a little exagerated. First in style? first in charisma? hmmm... although I do know what you mean. Yes he incarnated something unique at the time in terms of charisma and performance.

Talking about thesis this subject it is actually the old debate of whether there is or not, something called: "original" in arts and music. Yes, various complex theories about it.

To me almost everything is derived of something else, it is very rare to find those points in history when and individual brings out of him a totally unprecedented art form in existence. It is usually a collective happening. Nobody invented rock and roll and its fashions, it was and is a collective creation.

The rule, and not because of that is less original, is that originality is about the unique way in which an artist melts diffrent existing elements, and twist the meaning of those. And under those terms, YES, ELVIS, he was the first in many ways.

Brando's leather biker image, sure inspired Beetles ( I mean, with an A), and Gene and of course Elvis to wear black leather on or off stage. Elvis elements in fashion or music can be traced back to many other figures, sure thing, that does not makes him less inovative. But back to the poin: Mr Engelbert Humperdinck was hardly one of those.

Sure thing Elvis might have attended some of his shows, and enjoyed some of his records, but we know it was Bill Belew and not that unexisting lady Engelbert talks about, who came out with the idea of the high collars in '68, and his insipation didn't came straight from Humperdinck (As he wasn't the first using them neither he invented them). And Elvis didn't grew his sideburns long because of Mr. E.H., it was just something everybody did at the time, plus Elvis has his own story with those way before that.

OK Mr. Humperdinck you might have high collars and sideburns on stage before Elvis, but that does not mean Elvis took it straight from you, and when you told storys about an unknown lady? a world tour? Elvis starting using those in for the first time in '72? it becames a bit of a laugh.

But I think a laugh is what Humperdinck was looking for, as his story seems more like a joke than actually he believing he was an influential force on Elvis.

Leroy
12-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Elvis always treated these guys (Humperdink & Jones) with respect. After Elvis passed away I notived that (especially Jones) they changed their opinion on Elvis rapidly. I would like to see these 1965 pictures of Humperdink. The wardorbe of Elvis was based on several influences from way back in history. First of all the Napoleontic collar that was also a fashion in the South, during the civil war. The pointed cuffs and the kick pleats that were inspired by the Mexican fashion. And the sideburns were inspired by the truckdrivers Elvis met during his younger years.

Joe Car
12-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Got this from another site,

Once again, we get an over the hill artist like Humperdink using Elvis to make false claims to make himself look good and get some publicity, albeit false and stupid publicity. Just as Tom Jones has been doing recently they have used Elvis to get what they haven't been able to do on their own for years, make the media pay attention to them.
For Humperstink's information, Elvis was wearing high collars on his shirts years before '72 and before anyone paid attention to Humper. I know this for a fact because I designed some of his wardrobe for two pictures he did on '64. As for sideburns, Elvis had them in the 40's and 50's including at Humes High School which I attended with in him in '53.
Also inform Bertie that Elvis and us were going to see shows in Vegas long before he ever played there and Elvis finally got around to him. If he's insinuating that Elvis came to see him to learn how to perform then he's as full of bull as Jones is who made the same ignorant statement. Maybe he should have gone to see Elvis first so he could learn how to really entertain people.
Let's see which came first, 1954 or '65?
Tell Humperdinky to try to get people to pay attention to him again by cutting a hit record, something he hasn't had in thirty years or more and leave Elvis out of his pursuit of it.
- Marty Lacker.

KPM
12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Actually didn't Elvis's 1950s explosion with long hair and sideburns influence Engelberts style in the 1960s??

Erhan
12-12-2010, 01:04 PM
EH 1966 what a sideburn:!: :'(:'(:'(:'(:lol::lol::lol:
http://jensenbrazil.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/frontblog72.jpg?w=300

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iwF2vbjw5I

Diane
12-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Part of Humperdinck's sideburn is missing :lol:

Joe Car
12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Actually didn't Elvis's 1950s explosion with long hair and sideburns influence Engelberts style in the 1960s??

I think most of us know the answer!

Tigerman1975
12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Why did my comment get deleted?

Raised on Rock
12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Why did my comment get deleted?

To match Humperdink's half missing sideburn?

Bad joke, forget it. Could you repeat your comment?

Danny Ocean
12-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Maybe Humperdinck is referring to Bahiga. The lady that showed Elvis a drawing in 1970 "That's the way it is". And Elvis replied "Looks like Englebert Humperdinck".

Tigerman1975
12-14-2010, 02:17 PM
To match Humperdink's half missing sideburn?

Bad joke, forget it. Could you repeat your comment?

I hear ya lol. Its back up there now(?) ROR.

yisagirl1
12-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Actually it was Priscillas idea for the jumpsuits. Elvis had sideburns off and on. Yes, in the 70's they were the thing. Yes, I remember the story of Priscilla and her sister Michelle and engelbert lol. If you notice alot of artists tried to copy Elvis style to no avail. But the heavy sideburns were a 70's thing.

May
12-15-2010, 08:55 AM
From what I know, Elvis copied the 'long' hair and sideburns in the fifties from the truckers. He thought Tony Curtis's hair looked great on screen - as black - hence the hair dye. The high collars were supposedly to help disguise Elvis's "chicken neck" :doh:- not that I can see he even had one of those!!!!! And the jumpsuits were like his previous stage outfits but Elvis wanted something similar but made so that his jacket didnt ride up each time he did a karate move etc. so Bill Belew designed the jumpsuit.

But what makes me laugh (or cringe really:blink:) is that if this article is true and EH DID say "I did it first" - doesnt that just sound like jealous kids in the playground "he started it or I did it first or you copied me - na na na-na ner!" :blink::no:

All it does is highlight how envious others were of Elvis. rightly so. And let's face it - if it were ever a choice between someone like Tom Jones, Englebert whatsisface or ELVIS..... there really is no contest!:P

One last thing, there was a programme on tele the other day about a high street turning its shops into 1950's shops and cafes. They had a "milk bar" for teenagers which served burgers, fries, milk shakes and a juke box with all the old songs on. Some teens were at the jukebox choosing a song when one said "Who is Tom Jones?" and the answer was "Isn't he that Welsh bloke from Little Britain and Gavin & Stacey" !!!!!! :lol:

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!:lol:

KPM
12-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm waiting for the revelation to come out that Tom and Englebert once visited Elvis in the shower and Elvis asked them to sing for him while he showered.;)

May
12-16-2010, 05:24 AM
You probably won't have a long wait! :lol::lol:

yisagirl1
12-17-2010, 05:09 AM
I never in my life heard or read Elvis had a "chicken neck" and I saw the man in person in 1974 and got a kiss and a scarf from him. In Las Vegas. I was 21 and he just turned 39. Guess that gives my age lol. Any remember Priscilla once had a boutiqe in partnership with bill beaulu"s wife. Excuse my spelling. Its been so long I can't remember the name of it. But I do know it was her idea and it gave Elvis room to breath and move. They were actually lighter than they looked. And may I say that he was much better looking in person than pics. Or movies, if you can imagine that. And that year was 1974 he wasn't heavy. I couldn't believe when he came on tv 3 and a half years later.

May
12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Elvis didn't have a chicken neck. I was quoting what I heard on an interview! Hence the sentence "..The high collars were supposedly to help disguise Elvis's "chicken neck" - not that I can see he even had one of those..."

As far as the boutique Priscilla had, her partner was Olivia Bis. I didn't know she was married to Bill Belew ?!:doh:

N.B.
Of the collars, Belew has explained that they were inspired by Napoleon's wardrobe and that he chose them because they would frame and draw attention to Presley's face

monk37
12-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Bis and Beau's was the shop

Elvis didn't have a chicken neck, according to Pris, he just thought he did - hence, high collars - even in high school, he flipped up the collar of his shirts

yisagirl1
12-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Thank you Monk!(y)

May
12-18-2010, 03:51 AM

Elvis didn't have a chicken neck, according to Pris, he just thought he did - hence, high collars - even in high school, he flipped up the collar of his shirts

Yes, Bis & Beau was in Beverly Hills. Not convinced that Olivia Bis was married to Bill Belew though!!:lol:

Of course Elvis didn't have a chicken neck. There was nothing wrong with his looks at all. I guess insecurities cause people to pick out flaws that aren't noticeable to others.

monk37
12-18-2010, 12:50 PM
it just shows that we all have body image problems

it's kinda like that joke - show me a beautiful woman and I can show you a man who's tired of sex with her

we always think other people have it better, just like they are thinking.

May
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I know. It's ridiculous when you think about it, but we are all the same. It's like so many women couldnt believe Priscilla left Elvis. They all thought because of his looks, talent etc she must have the perfect life with him. It just shows, no-one really knows what goes on with other people and others don't necessarily have it all just because they are rich, gorgeous and talented!

geordie
12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
marveloues statement. i agree with everything you said

May
12-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks Geordie(y):D

monk37
12-19-2010, 10:52 PM
my aunt won a trip to Graceland in 1987 and took me - I was 19

one of the other people on our trip was a gal close to 40 - and in 87, she said she couldn't believe Priscilla left him. I said it wasn't a surprise at all, given his unwillingness to change his life in any way.

I think part of it too is the generation - in the 70's, divorce was still a stigma, shamefull - no fault divorce was still pretty new - being legalized in the 60's

I think it's why so many people at the time were shocked, not just that it was Elvis left - but the divorce itself

buttonhead
12-20-2010, 03:32 AM
I went to many of Engelbert concerts, he did in fact told us the story how Elvis 'stole' his sideburn / and look... as a joke., but he praised Elvis ability to reach the low and high notes when he sang some song .. funny how elvis called him as ' Engel-dink' ...:)

IMO, So far as Elvis mentioned on TTWII of the picture a fan made for him , it looklike 'Engelbert' I think it was out of spontaneous,...remember of how he jokingly said .." Good Evening Ladies and gentlemen.. My name is Wayne Newton ??' on his last concert 1977 ? .. the same thing with the painting.

Personally, I think men back then would love to be Elvis... looklike him... sort of. Elvis to me was and is one of trend setter of how cool looks was about. and I dont think any one could come close to what he had accomplished . I said that as a die hard fan - so .... dont go crazy now. lol

Tigerman1975
12-20-2010, 05:25 AM

Elvis didn't have a chicken neck, according to Pris, he just thought he did....

I've read the same thing. He didnt like the way it looked, but nobody else noticed.

Tigerman1975
12-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Personally, I think men back then would love to be Elvis... looklike him... sort of. Elvis to me was and is one of trend setter of how cool looks was about.

I think that this is still the case. Who wouldnt want to look like Elvis?

FLASHBOY
12-27-2010, 12:17 AM
These guys ....humpy and jones needs attention they are desparate What they need really is cut a hit record and get along with theyre lives.

May
12-27-2010, 02:16 AM
:lol: Absolutely!! (y)