PDA

View Full Version : Elvis in 1977 - the 'image' is much worse than the truth was... anyone else agree?

gilesm
09-17-2010, 10:02 AM
The more I look at pictures of Elvis in 1977, the more I reach the opinion, that he really did not look so bad in '77. Yes he was overweight, but there seem to be plenty of images of him in the gallery's in this forum, where he looks quite well and happy entertaining the crowd. I think that that the whole issue has become over stated through the years.

Much of the image of his later years is overblown and exaggerated, at least from the physical appearance point of view, obviously we all know how his performances and emotional condition and drug use was an issue, but just looking at the photo's, he was still fine really.

Some of the issue stems from the poor quality bootlegs going around of "Elvis In Concert" if only they would release this officially, then we would get a good copy and he would not look so bad, the image quality of the bootlegs makes Elvis look bad.

I think it is a shame that this 30 year old exaggerated issue causes us true fans not to be able to watch "Elvis In Concert" on an official release.
As for protecting his image, surely this would be better than allowing all those poor quality copies to float around the internet.
If some journalist really wants to dig up dirt on EP, it's a simple matter of searching utube for the footage, in poor quality.
i think the truth is that in today's world, outside of the fan community, I don't think anyone would realise or care if this footage was released.
The whole 'protecting his image' argument no longer holds true, especially since EPE have already released segments of the footage anyway.

Come EPE, let this issue go and give us an official release.

Just a thought or two, what do you think?

EnigmaticSun
09-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Well the story goes on and on. The idea here seems to be that Elvis was out of it at the end, beyond his peak of '68 - '70. The least he could have done in '77 was appearing athletic and coherent while talking..

But I do agree with you. The footage is in poor quality, have even heard fragments where the tone was affected, so Elvis and the crew were singing and playing too low, albeit not too slow.

medleyofcostumes
09-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Sorry but I have to disgaree. I don't want to offend anybody so I'm going to be as fair as I can. Elvis in 1977 was NOT well at all. Photos are very misleading one way or another - comparing photos of the same show can give opposing results where Elvis appears fine and awful in the next photo. The angle at which the phot is shot also makes a difference as well as photos from the belt up tend to show more bloatness than there is. I was one who in the past was in favour of a commercial release of Elvis in Concert. But with times I came in terms with myself that it was not a good idea.

The problem with Elvis in Concert is not the overweight Elvis but the way he behaves on stage. He is not confident, not funny and very very tense. His movements,facial expressions and dialogue are a proof of this - he is erratic at best. I'm not mentioning the weight or bloatness of the face at all. The voice is good - very good but unfortunately other aspects of the show would leave many scratching their heads. If you listen to bootlegs from shows from 1974, 75 and 76 (omitting the summer 76 tours) Elvis is in control, funny and entertaining. Unfortunately, by 1977 especially the final tour (with possible exception of the Cincinnati and Indianapolis shows (25th June and 26th June 77 respectively) he wasn't well. Just check the Kansas City bootleg footage available...

To Joe Public - the occasional music lover who was awed by TTWII, entertained by ELvis on Tour, wonders what happened to Elvis after viewing the Aloha 4 years earlier, the Elvis in concert show would be a shock. Elvis changed A LOT between 1973 and 1977 and the general public (not the fans) who did not follow Elvis except when in the news or cinema would find the change too much. Remember that the press was constantly presenting Elvis as 'finished' by 1975 and there were many harsh reviews even back in 1974. The Elvis in Concert Special would, unfortunately comfirm the press reports.

Most fans do have a copy of Elvis In Concert, though not in optimal quality so why release it to the GENERAL PUBLIC? If it is going to be released it should be reedited, choosing more songs from the Rapid City show and omit most the Omaha show. It should be made available via mail order from and authorised EP site to FANS.

For those of you wondering "Is this a fan who hates EP in the 70's or what?" On the contrary I only follow Elvis from 1968 onwards and am an EP in the 70's freak. Jumpsuits music, concerts etc. But we must make a distinction between the FAN, and the GENERAL PUBLIC. The fan closes an eye (or 2) and may adore EP and whatever he did. But the general public is another piece of cake. They are more critical (and sometimes more objective) that the fan. I would say that June 1977 was not a good choice for filming a special.

But you cannot hide the truth. The many smiling faces of EP's entourage and band members during Elvis in Concert were just that - hiding the sadness of the truth.

EnigmaticSun
09-17-2010, 12:16 PM
They are more critical (and sometimes more objective) that the fan. I would say that June 1977 was not a good choice for filming a special.
But you cannot hide the truth. The many smiling faces of EP's entourage and band members during Elvis in Concert were just that - hiding the sadness of the truth.

Hmm, is it possible that the entourage and band members were actually enjoying the show? In fact some of the music from EIC is rather lively and playful. For some reason Elvis enjoyed singing with Sherril Nielsen and (playing) with the instrumentalists too..

Perhaps Elvis wasn't healthy, but he was funny. It was good enough for me and Bobby McGee, that's for sure - and that song wasn't even included.

Understandable however is that some people wouldn't like the style or form of EIC and they might prefer experimental modernistic nihilistic relativistic fusion soul-blues-jazz.

medleyofcostumes
09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
The point I was trying to make is that the majority of general public would rather prefer a half-hearted, recycled, bland documentary saying how great Elvis was, how caring, how generous, how they were his friends rather than EIC. Most people will see what they want to see and not what we want them to. That's why many fans did not read 'Elvis what happened?' back in 1977 because people in general have a preconceived image of everything from music to politics, sports to anything else. If something will go against that image they will avoid it and put it down. Us fans may see EIC as a great man's swan song giving all he had left - his voice to us for a final time on film. But others - the majority, would see it otherwise, I'm afraid. And they may not be the ones who like "experimental modernistic nihilistic relativistic fusion soul-blues-jazz." :)

sasha
09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
IMO, I think we'll find out that the "image" and many other things were greatly exaggerated . To each their own. But I liked him & his music better in the '70's. :)

Nicole Presley
09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree that he still was good-looking in 1977. (y) He always is beautiful.

monk37
09-17-2010, 04:44 PM
in 1977, Elvis did look his worst - in terms of health especially

but back in 1977, the vast majority of people in the US were not overweight - especially not celebrities

so, in the post Roseanne / John Goodman / Jack Black and many other fat celebs - Elvis wouldn't really stand out as "fat" as he did in 77

and EPE does need to get over it and stop pretending 1973 was Elvis' last year - the video, pictures and memories are out there

not showing Elvis in all his stages, just makes 77 seem worse than it really was

rickb
09-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Sadly the worst possible photos of Elvis are often used to illustrate his decline (often from his Feb 12, 1977 concert). There is no doubting he was overweight and unwell in 1977 but I agree that the image is often worse than the reality.
There are many good photos from 1977, particularly from the second half of his February tour, off-stage shots and even his last two concerts. He was 42, not 21 any more.

Cliff
09-17-2010, 11:28 PM
"but back in 1977, the vast majority of people in the US were not overweight - especially not celebrities

so, in the post Roseanne / John Goodman / Jack Black and many other fat celebs - Elvis wouldn't really stand out as "fat" as he did in 77"

I agree. It's strange looking at him now after all those years he does'nt look that bad. Yes, he was carrying a bit of weight, but then Elvis always carried his weight in his upper body, re: Paradise Hawaiin Style & Follow That Dream.

gilesm
09-18-2010, 12:43 AM
In regards the release of EIC, I guess it's out of our hands anyway, EPE will not change their position, at least it is unlikely at this time. It seems ironic that Elvis did give much better concerts than the two that were filmed, and even then the producers did not select the best segments to make up the show.
I wonder what drove the choices they made?

I can't help but wonder if Elvis allowed his nerves to show too much, perhaps he found making this show even harder than 'Aloha'.
Perhaps he thought "well I just take a little xxxxxx to calm down" and ended up harming his performance even further.

As far as the 'general public' perception and image, 'medleyofcustumes' may be correct, it's very hard to change the publics perception, even when it is wrong.
I remember once a relative (by marriage) of mine came over while I was watching 'Aloha'. He looked at it and said "oh that's from when he was fat". EP was most certainly not 'fat' during the aloha show, but this shows just how the public perceive his later years.

As you see I am starting to change my mind since the start of the thread, reading the post by 'medleyofcostumes' is shifting my opinion a little...

kathy parkinson
09-18-2010, 12:48 AM
There is always going to be talk about this Elvis or that Elvis, you know what? I am just gong to enjoy Elvis and his music, that's all that matters to me.

Cliff
09-18-2010, 04:51 AM
There is always going to be talk about this Elvis or that Elvis, you know what? I am just gong to enjoy Elvis and his music, that's all that matters to me.

That's why it's called a forum Kathy. Let's face it, Elvis was not a one dimensional cartoon character.

kathy parkinson
09-18-2010, 06:07 AM
You are correct Cliff, there's nothing wrong with this forum at all, i welcome a healthy discussion,we are all here for Elvis, that's all that counts.

medleyofcostumes
09-18-2010, 07:11 AM
That's why it's called a forum Kathy. Let's face it, Elvis was not a one dimensional cartoon character.

Ever wondered what complexities make up a fan? The aura of an artist captures a bunch of individuals and how do you explain that? There is no logic behind being a fan - it's not math, it's an emotion that goes beyond talent or achievement (that's why certain singers of today's generation have fans). I like Elvis from 1968 onwards - seems illogical to some who believe Elvis' prime was in 1956. I cannot explain it but that's the way it is (sorry for the pun). :)

peter
09-18-2010, 07:56 AM
I think that In Concert is release for FTD on DVD or Blue-Ray. Rapid City show is pretty good - but I really think that some parts of the show should be cutted out even on FTD release - the long speech before Unchained Melody for example.... But the show deserves to be released - at least on CD as last proffesionaly recorded show.

Cliff
09-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Ever wondered what complexities make up a fan? The aura of an artist captures a bunch of individuals and how do you explain that? There is no logic behind being a fan - it's not math, it's an emotion that goes beyond talent or achievement (that's why certain singers of today's generation have fans). I like Elvis from 1968 onwards - seems illogical to some who believe Elvis' prime was in 1956. I cannot explain it but that's the way it is (sorry for the pun). :)

I guess it all depends what Elvis era you were born in. For me it started right from the beginning as a ten year okd kid. The aura of Elvis grabbed me before I even heard him sing. I'd seen his pic in a magazine and I took an immediate liking to him. Of course, when I finally saw "Love Me Tender" that cemented the admiration I had for him.I did not expect Elvis to always stay the way he was in '56. The world had changed while he was in the Army. Payola had killed the rock 'n' roll market. There were new kids on the block and he had to go with that market.
Why stop at artists? Why does anything capture a persons emotion? ie:religion etc. The human psyche is a very complex thing indeed.
Why is it illogical to believe he was at his prime during the 50's ? The records (excuse the pun) speak for themselves. Hence the '68 Comeback Special.

medleyofcostumes
09-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I did not say it is illogical to say Elvis was at his prime in the 50's - on the contrary Elvis was at his peak in the 50's. I said that I liked the later period best when some were saying that Elvis was past his prime.

May
09-19-2010, 02:47 AM
[QUOTE=gilesm;381314].

As far as the 'general public' perception and image, 'medleyofcustumes' may be correct, it's very hard to change the publics perception, even when it is wrong.
I remember once a relative (by marriage) of mine came over while I was watching 'Aloha'. He looked at it and said "oh that's from when he was fat". EP was most certainly not 'fat' during the aloha show, but this shows just how the public perceive his later years.

QUOTE]

Absolutely right. People (non fans) just relate the white jumpsuits to the "fat Elvis period". If you ask someone who was around during that time (again, non fans) they will probably say the fifties was the music period, the sixties the rubbish films and the seventies the fat white jumpsuitede Elvis". Its all about perception. there is no way he was overweight in 1973.

Diane
09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=gilesm;381314].

QUOTE]

Absolutely right. People (non fans) just relate the white jumpsuits to the "fat Elvis period". If you ask someone who was around during that time (again, non fans) they will probably say the fifties was the music period, the sixties the rubbish films and the seventies the fat white jumpsuitede Elvis". Its all about perception. there is no way he was overweight in 1973.

You're right, he certainly wasn't overweight in "73. We saw him in Tahoe that year and he was just gorgeous. Not his usual happy self but still beautiful and he looked and acted very healthy.

I do feel he looked a bit overweight in "77, not as much as some men I know but what bothered me the most watching EIC was that he looked so ill and seemed to be trying so hard to be his old self. I did find that he did really great with some songs and was so proud of him.

monk37
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
the choice may have been limited by which venues would allow the filming to occur

I was very annoyed during the Elvis stamp debate as being young Elvis or old Elvis.

Elvis never got to be old.

donaldmccurry.63
09-21-2010, 04:10 AM
i don't think he was as bad as the photos made out there's times when you see him and he looked great in 77 at the end of the day his voice never changed it only got better

hounddog
09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
I never have thought of Elvis as being hugely overweight in 1977. I actually look at him in 1969-1970 as being way to thin. I personally think Elvis looked great in 73-74 a healthy weight.

i think he looked very tired during the filming of EIC. But i have seen photos throughout his career when he looked very tired. Photos can be deceptive, lighting etc can add or detract features and make one look better or far worse than you are.

Sometimes i think the truth was worse than what the pictures showed, please let me explain i think Elvis was sicker at times in 1977 than any of the pictures showed. Other pics i look at and it's clear how unwell he was and he's still performing and it breaks my heart.

Maybe is he had of lived past 1977 pics from that year would be viewed differently. But with his death in 1977 the pics from this year sort of become the evidence of what he was going through physically.

rocknroll
09-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, he was in bad enough shape that he died, so I would say he wasn't too well in 1977. I will say, however, that I thought he looked worse in 1976.

Also, anyone that says his voice was better in '77 is turning a deaf ear. He was toneless, out of breath and nasal and his voice was thin. He did not sound well, in fact I thought he sounded the way he looked......sick.

EnigmaticSun
09-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Also, anyone that says his voice was better in '77 is turning a deaf ear. He was toneless, out of breath and nasal and his voice was thin. He did not sound well, in fact I thought he sounded the way he looked......sick.

It was more of an up and down thing. Having Elvis deliver a good performance was a bit of an unreliable task in '77. On some occasions, such as in May or June, his voice was just perfect even if it wasn't that much of a rock 'n roll voice.

Cliff
09-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Well, he was in bad enough shape that he died, so I would say he wasn't too well in 1977. I will say, however, that I thought he looked worse in 1976.

Your comment is like a breath of fresh air. I agree, his voice was not better in the 70's. My feeling, and I know many will disagree, is this started with the '68 Comeback Special. He really hammered his voice in this.. Medication (please note I say medication and not drugs) can affect the voice. Also age takes it's toll. There is always the debate as to whether Elvis had some voice training. He may or may not have, but he must have picked up different techniques from people in the business. I feel Elvis abused his voice a lot in the 70's. No, my favourite period is, and always will be, the early to late 60's when his voice was like a finely tuned instument.

EnigmaticSun
09-25-2010, 04:51 PM
No, my favourite period is, and always will be, the early to late 60's when his voice was like a finely tuned instument.

The eternal debate always seems to concern girly but delicate ballads as opposed to real tough but damaging rock 'n roll. It's hard to please everyone, I guess.
In 1970 for example, I appreciate the warmth and passion. Could you have been there, you would have felt the sweat and joy; Elvis was nonetheless precise in projecting the voice in ballads and such.
From 1972 onwards, flegmaticism seems to kick in, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The songs reflected his mood.
What I like about late-period Elvis concerns life experiences and vocal training. If you think that Elvis from 1975 onwards was all bad, you don't know a bit about singing (who could sing you'll never walk alone like that, playing the piano?). Even though his body was ailing, Elvis spent a lot of time to gain a richer tone and quality - it showed from 1975 on especially.
All in all it's hard to blame him for sacrificing himself, although I do agree he could have had a more reliable and less dissipative way of life and method of making music.

Cliff
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
"girly but delicate ballads ". Man I'm glad Elvis is'nt around to hear you say that !! My interpretation of girly would have to be that they were songs you could romance a girl with or even sing to her. . . . .if you wanted to. I'd hardly call them 'girly' in the sense that I think you mean.
Not sure what you mean by 'if you could have been there'. I haven't been under a rock for the past 50 odd years. I have eyes and ears. I didn't have to be there in person to experience the emotions that you mention. Because of Elvis' magnitute this came across on live recordings and movies.

EnigmaticSun
09-27-2010, 11:19 AM
"girly but delicate ballads ". Man I'm glad Elvis is'nt around to hear you say that !!

Well I do wish he were around to hear me say that. In fact I like the quality of his voice before the comeback special as well, though the magic didn't work on each and every song because some titles were just made to fit the movie and that's all.
Now in 1968 a song he didn't believe in was nowhere to be found, or at least not during the comeback special.

That's what you have: one party says the earlier ballads are too "girly", the other says 68 and after is too "rough".. it's hard to please everyone but he did please me - altogether!

Could you have been there, well: it's possible to enjoy the recordings from his live appearances and so do I. Still anyone who says it's hard to explain the feeling of having been there is right.
My best guess it was even more special than listening to it at home (with some delay) - witnessing a live concert is very direct, so Elvis didn't sing the song and you had to wait a while until the album was processed, sold to you and brought to your playing device.

elvia7
09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree that he still was good-looking in 1977. (y) He always is beautiful.

AGREE with YOU my DEAREST (y)(y)(y)(y)

Albert
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
I was watching Elvis On Tour lately and a friend of mine came in. He watched some part of the show and asked if this was just before Elvis' death?!? Because "Elvis was already very overweight".... come on!?! That's just plain sick.

Even worse: this same story happened also a few years ago while watching That's The Way It Is.

Conclusion: people are judging Elvis way harder than any other living person. In 1977 Elvis was overweight, but not much more than many other American 40+ males. And don't forget that cameras add 10 pounds to someone.

Elvis looked bad in 1976-1977, but that wasn't really because of his weight. Compare Elvis with for example Meatloaf in the 70s (same weight), and you can see that Elvis didn't look like a healthy, energetic, full-of-life man from only 42 years old.

And don't forget that most of the unflatering pictures from 1977 are taken during the February/March tour of 1977 where Elvis looked extremely bad on many of the images taken.

EnigmaticSun
09-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Conclusion: people are judging Elvis way harder than any other living person.

Such an intelligent post - and this is sooo true!!

Yes a lot of people can be overweight while not being judged as harshly or at least feeling more energetic and healthier..

Also some of his medication might cause the face to bloat, which would only accentuate the problem. In other words, appearing fatter just because water was gathering underneath the skin.

Lisarose
09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
A good "today" example: And I'm only talking "looks" not talent or whatever, although, I enjoy his music, too. And maybe I don't get out much, but I don't recall a lot of flack about Garth's weight gain and I would think he's got the money to hire a personal trainer!

Lisarose
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
The eternal debate always seems to concern girly but delicate ballads as opposed to real tough but damaging rock 'n roll. It's hard to please everyone, I guess.
In 1970 for example, I appreciate the warmth and passion. Could you have been there, you would have felt the sweat and joy; Elvis was nonetheless precise in projecting the voice in ballads and such.
From 1972 onwards, flegmaticism seems to kick in, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The songs reflected his mood.
What I like about late-period Elvis concerns life experiences and vocal training. If you think that Elvis from 1975 onwards was all bad, you don't know a bit about singing (who could sing you'll never walk alone like that, playing the piano?). Even though his body was ailing, Elvis spent a lot of time to gain a richer tone and quality - it showed from 1975 on especially.
All in all it's hard to blame him for sacrificing himself, although I do agree he could have had a more reliable and less dissipative way of life and method of making music.
Excellent, Fabian.
When it comes to Elvis, I rush to the defense. As RocknRoll says, he was in bad enough health that he died. sad, but true, I'm afraid. His performances seemed to be a series of rollercoaster rides, and yet, it was his very presence, IMO, that kept us coming back, keep us coming back.

SleepyJack
09-29-2010, 07:57 AM
I don`t have any issues about the whole weight thing,one way or the other Elvis would have had to deal with all the natural problems of aging,if it wasn`t the weight it would have been hair-loss or something else...I think that in many ways Elvis appearing anything less than perfect upset some people because he represented their youth and they did not want him to age like a mere mortal. What upsets me about it all is that Elvis,at that time,looked seriously ill,tired,and a lot of the time was just going through the motions.He didn`t look like he was in any condition to be touring,but,at the same time he looked like onstage in front of his fans was the only place he really wanted to be. It is sad that,given all his talent,all his success,and all the happiness he gave over the years some people will never see past how he looked in his final years.As far as the music goes i think Elvis was,at times,walking a fine line between performing what he wanted to perform and what was expected of him...I sometimes find it hard to listen the throw-away attempts at some songs,especially from the final two years or so...thing like the "Teddy Bear/Don`t be cruel" medley or the short,speeded-up "Jailhouse Rock"...I doubt very much if Elvis really wanted to still be performing these songs,by then it seemed more a case of get them out of the way so I can get to the songs I really want to sing. It would not be a problem how Elvis looked as he got older,not to me anyway,but I wish that he had left this world happy and satisfied with his life and career..and I don`t think that he was .

Diane
09-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I don`t have any issues about the whole weight thing,one way or the other Elvis would have had to deal with all the natural problems of aging,if it wasn`t the weight it would have been hair-loss or something else...I think that in many ways Elvis appearing anything less than perfect upset some people because he represented their youth and they did not want him to age like a mere mortal. What upsets me about it all is that Elvis,at that time,looked seriously ill,tired,and a lot of the time was just going through the motions.He didn`t look like he was in any condition to be touring,but,at the same time he looked like onstage in front of his fans was the only place he really wanted to be. It is sad that,given all his talent,all his success,and all the happiness he gave over the years some people will never see past how he looked in his final years.As far as the music goes i think Elvis was,at times,walking a fine line between performing what he wanted to perform and what was expected of him...I sometimes find it hard to listen the throw-away attempts at some songs,especially from the final two years or so...thing like the "Teddy Bear/Don`t be cruel" medley or the short,speeded-up "Jailhouse Rock"...I doubt very much if Elvis really wanted to still be performing these songs,by then it seemed more a case of get them out of the way so I can get to the songs I really want to sing. It would not be a problem how Elvis looked as he got older,not to me anyway,but I wish that he had left this world happy and satisfied with his life and career..and I don`t think that he was .

My feelings exactly!(y)(y)(y)

annie1000
09-29-2010, 01:43 PM

Excellent post(y) My feelings too!(y)

SleepyJack
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks Diane and Annie.:blush:

Tigerman1975
09-30-2010, 10:35 AM
While his weight was an issue at the end, his amazing voice never failed him.

EnigmaticSun
09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
..like the "Teddy Bear/Don`t be cruel" medley or the short,speeded-up "Jailhouse Rock"...I doubt very much if Elvis really wanted to still be performing these songs,by then it seemed more a case of get them out of the way so I can get to the songs I really want to sing. It would not be a problem how Elvis looked as he got older,not to me anyway,but I wish that he had left this world happy and satisfied with his life and career..and I don`t think that he was .

Well - you have a point that you don't necessarily have to hear every attempt to the teddycruel medley, or hound dog. Maybe Elvis too, thought to himself "I'm number one, so why try harder?" - no, Elvis probably wasn't in the right environment to develop his talent further. He wasn't too dumb or too bad to star in serious movies, or to sing in an opera or whatever. Too bad the coloner Parker milkcow blues boogie kept him on a string, to go out and sing, bringing the money in before Parker could spend it. Having said that, Parker was ahead of his Fed (the Federal Reserve keeps borrowing too- they still owe me some trillions).

Whereas I don't think his goodbye to the movie business was just as strong, I'm happy for him that he gave a marvelous concert in Indianapolis, so with him being an artist it probably gave some assurance to end on a strong note - and he did, literally. It also gives an eerie feeling when you realize that he did sing unchained melody and blue eyes crying in the rain before he died, but I guess he just loved this material!

Lisarose
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM

excellent Jack, I don't need to add anything here. Thank you.

SleepyJack
09-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I often wonder how people like Elvis manage to cope with the pressure that they are under to look like the image that is expected of them.Once he became successful a lot of people (himself included)expected him to always be ready at any given moment to be "Elvis" the star...I think that must have been something that became almost unbearable when the years started catching up on him.Elvis always took great pride in his appearance,long before he was even a star...whatever critics and other people had to find fault with must have been just as obvious to Elvis himself,except a lot more hurtful.
There are moments in "Elvis In Concert" when what hurts me more to watch is that almost lost expression on Elvis` face...not the weight,not the faces of people in the audience,not even the half-hearted versions of some of the songs..just that lost look and his isolation.This was a man that needed help that almost nobody could help.That`s what`s heartbreaking about it...not that he had got older or put on weight or that he couldn`t live up to his former glory.

Diane
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes that's exactly what got to me too Jack. You explained it perfectly.

slystallone1946
10-09-2011, 10:33 AM
If Elvis can go on TV 1977 and show us what he was all about, then why does EPE try to protect this image? Oh-Yes! Money, to market the younger Elvis for more money...bad PR move

KPM
10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
If Elvis can go on TV 1977 and show us what he was all about, then why does EPE try to protect this image? Oh-Yes! Money, to market the younger Elvis for more money...bad PR move
Unfortunately the decision to go on tv in 1977 was also MONEY! Parker set up the deals and had Elvis sign the contracts-the money was good.
Elvis had always in the past been able to rise to the occasion, lose the weight, tighten up his act-but this time he just could not.
For years the images of Elvis... puffy faced, overweight/bloated and slurring his words made an impression on the public at large that outweighed the other 23 years of his career.
Even to good longstanding fans this image "stuck in our minds"....because it was such a drastic change.
The change was not just looks IMO, but a change from the self assured confident performer we all knew-to one with serious doubts about who and what he was.
I am glad that some work has been done to remind everyone that he was not the figure we see on film in EIC for the full 23 year career-a reminder that there were 20 plus years of greatness that a few final years should not erase.

Raised on Rock
10-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately the decision to go on tv in 1977 was also MONEY! Parker set up the deals and had Elvis sign the contracts-the money was good.
Elvis had always in the past been able to rise to the occasion, lose the weight, tighten up his act-but this time he just could not.
For years the images of Elvis... puffy faced, overweight/bloated and slurring his words made an impression on the public at large that outweighed the other 23 years of his career.
Even to good longstanding fans this image "stuck in our minds"....because it was such a drastic change.
The change was not just looks IMO, but a change from the self assured confident performer we all knew-to one with serious doubts about who and what he was.
I am glad that some work has been done to remind everyone that he was not the figure we see on film in EIC for the full 23 year career-a reminder that there were 20 plus years of greatness that a few final years should not erase.

Thumbs up on that post KPM!!!

lvelvis
10-17-2011, 04:17 AM
being a seasoned ELVIS photo hound like all of you i came to the same conclusion many yaers ago , that E.P. did not look as bad as the press and rags like the enquirer have us believe. Show me a pic of any singer under hot lights , who isn`t covered in sweat , or under lights that alter his or her looks to a disadvantage. We have many more pics that show ELVIS PRESLEY LOOKING LIKE A MILLION BUCKS , and yes even in 76 and 77 he could still look great , admitedly overweight. I do conceed that there are photos in 76 that show clearly ELVIS was void of rest, especially the ones from the december 76 engaement and the feb 77 tour.

EnigmaticSun
10-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Show me a pic of any singer under hot lights , who isn`t covered in sweat , or under lights that alter his or her looks to a disadvantage.

Yes, these are all factors to be considered. No doubt there was a motivation to get a picture of Elvis looking worse than he really was. That's the paparazzi effect and it is why it takes some skill and tact to avoid living like the jetset, if you're well-known ("famous"). Even if you don't like parties for the rich they still want to have your picture taken..

Anyway, to me the last few years of Elvis' life weren't easy to deal with. It was and is sad what happened to him. It is however true that these last few years gave me more insight in who he was. In showing weakness, one might reveal his true core.

rocknroll
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Elvis didn't look or sound good in '77, but he was worse in '76.