PDA

View Full Version : THE OFFICIAL ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS - Press Release & New Website

Jungleroom76
08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
From Elvis.com:

EVERY MASTER RECORDING RELEASED DURING ELVIS’ LIFETIME, PRESENTED IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER FOR THE FIRST TIME

OVER 35 HOURS OF MUSIC: ALL 711 MASTER RECORDINGS PLUS 103 RARITIES ON 30 CD's

Unique package features 240-page hardbound book printed on archival paper, with annotated discography and artwork for every original Elvis album, single and EP, plus rare and classic photography and new 6,000-word essay
Limited edition first run of 1,000 copies worldwide, each set individually numbered

Available exclusively at http://www.completeelvis.com. Pre-orders start August 2, 2010, in advance of October 19 release date.

“For twenty years he bestrode the pop world in a manner unlike anyone else – and not, it should be noted, with a style that was either static or imposed upon him. Rather, he was an artist who continued to evolve, someone constantly reaching for something not quite within his grasp. Whether as the brashly shy teenager who could boast that he didn’t ‘sound like nobody,’ as the pop idol who sought to redefine his work, or as the Las Vegas performer determined to incorporate every strand of the American musical experience, his mission remained the same: to carry his message out into the world.”
– from the liner notes essay by Peter Guralnick

At last, the ultimate tribute to the ultimate artist. For Elvis Presley’s 75th birthday, the definitive collection of all his master recordings is being made available in stunning fashion.

THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS (http://www.completeelvis.com/pages/5565692/?utm_medium=elvis-lightbox&utm_source=elvis.com&utm_campaign=elviscom-lightbox%7Celvispresley%7Cmasters&ocid=elviscom-lightbox%7Celvispresley%7Cmasters) is the crown jewel in RCA/Legacy’s 2010 Elvis 75 campaign. This limited edition first run, individually-numbered, deluxe set contains 30 CDs with all 711 master recordings released during Elvis’ lifetime, sequenced in strict chronological order. Also included are 103 rarities: additional masters, alternate takes, session outtakes, demos, rehearsal jams, home recordings, live performances and radio recordings This triumph of musicology is the definitive document – a magnificent audio chronicle of the inspiration, pain and genius that make Elvis the world’s most enduring musical and cultural icon.

A Direct-to-Consumer offer available exclusively via http://www.completeelvis.com, THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS will be available for pre-orders starting August 2, in advance of the October 19 release date. Only 1,000 numbered sets will be available for sale worldwide in this limited edition first run.

Complementing the music is a beautifully designed 240-page hardbound reference book produced exclusively for this collection. A magnificent volume in its own right, this silk-screened, silver-gilded edition printed on archival paper is the ultimate reference work on the music of Elvis Presley. The discography was painstakingly researched by compilation producer Ernst Mikael Jørgensen, the respected director of RCA’s Elvis catalog for over two decades and author of "Elvis Presley: A Life In Music" (St. Martin’s Press, 1998), and co-written by him with award-winning author Peter Guralnick.

Jørgensen and Guralnick’s extensive historical entries cover every song selection from the perspective of a scholar and a fan, with enlightening background stories and historical context, along with release dates, chart positions and other info. The discography includes recording dates and locations, full musician credits, technical notes and a song index. In addition, the book reproduces the artwork for every 45 rpm single, EP and LP release. The book is full of rare and classic photographs from throughout Elvis’ life and recording career, beginning with the cover photo by legendary Williams ‘Popsie’ Randolph from Elvis’ first official RCA photo session at RCA Studios in New York, on December 1, 1955.

Anchoring the book is a brand-new 6,000-word essay by Guralnick, noted biographer of Elvis Presley. Guralnick’s two volumes – "Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley" (Little, Brown, 1994) and "Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley" (Little, Brown, 1999) – are widely acknowledged as the definitive biographical studies of Elvis’ life. In addition to writing the foreword to Jørgensen’s "Elvis Presley: A Life In Music, Guralnick" also collaborated with him on another great reference work, "Elvis Day by Day: The Definitive Record of His Life and Music" (Random House, 1999).

Years in the making, THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS has been compiled from the original analog master tapes where available, using 24-bit technology for greater sonic resolution and dynamics. Each track has been carefully restored to achieve the best sound reproduction without compromising the audio quality of the original master. The only exceptions are found on the rarities discs, which “derive from a variety of sources,” as Jørgensen writes. “First priority has been given to vividness of performance, historical significance and rarity of repertoire.”

THE COMPLETE ELVIS PRESLEY MASTERS is the newest release in RCA/Legacy’s Elvis 75 campaign, which commemorates the 75th anniversary of Elvis’ birth, celebrated on January 8, 2010.

Visit http://www.completeelvis.com for more about this new release and for a complete list of songs.

There is also a video on the site which shows the set in more detail and I have to say that it is a very nice looking set!! I have to tip my hat to RCA on this one...the design of the package, with the CD case designed to look like a vault and even the CD's themselves looking like tape reels and recording equipment, is very crafty.

It's just a shame that this comes with such a high price tag...but considering all of the work that went into remastering the music and creating the book, I guess the price is worth it.

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Its beautiful, since I don't own all the original masters yet on silver disc it looks like a great essential item to buy.
If only they still have them available by the time I save the money for it.

www.completeelvis.com go to the site and look at the video. AMAZING Layout and packaging.

Cliff
08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
It looks really good, and well presented. But at $(NZ)1,300 I think I will have to give it a miss. :'(

girl-do
08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
wow it really looks amazing i would love to buy but for that money i think i can´t :-(

peter
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
"Every song Elvis recorded for release during his lifetime" - why why do you lie again!!!! It´s so disgusting! From what I read, my opinion was, that it´s something like "full discography" - all songs ever proffesionaly released for general public in one release with some bonuses - and that´s NOT it!

Look at the tracklistings:
1.) disgusting thing is mixture of studio records and live records on one disc... really awful thing to hear studio album and then 2001 Theme followed by See See Rider...
2.) some regulars official live albums are simply missing (in collection which is promoted as complete!!) - where is Elvis In Concert (from their description it almost seems like Omaha and Rapid City shows should be included, because all songs were recorded for proffesional release.... but even released EIC album simply is NOT there!), where is afternoon show from MSG (just evening show is included - on disc mixed with studio tracks), Memphis 74 show is used in original album version, not that "complete" show from FTD.... I´m really disgusted, because it´s really promoted as it SHOULD NOT be promoted - it´s NOT full collection of all Elvis songs Elvis proffesionaly recorded, and I think that it will NEVER be released (last proffesionaly recorded song which we have officially released on any CD/DVD is overdubbed Unchained Melody from Rapid City, Cant Help Falling In Love from RC was never officialy released AFAIK).... So sad!

Jungleroom76
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
"Every song Elvis recorded for release during his lifetime" - why why do you lie again!!!! It´s so disgusting! From what I read, my opinion was, that it´s something like "full discography" - all songs ever proffesionaly released for general public in one release with some bonuses - and that´s NOT it!

Look at the tracklistings:
1.) disgusting thing is mixture of studio records and live records on one disc... really awful thing to hear studio album and then 2001 Theme followed by See See Rider...
2.) some regulars official live albums are simply missing (in collection which is promoted as complete!!) - where is Elvis In Concert (from their description it almost seems like Omaha and Rapid City shows should be included, because all songs were recorded for proffesional release.... but even released EIC album simply is NOT there!), where is afternoon show from MSG (just evening show is included - on disc mixed with studio tracks), Memphis 74 show is used in original album version, not that "complete" show from FTD.... I´m really disgusted, because it´s really promoted as it SHOULD NOT be promoted - it´s NOT full collection of all Elvis songs Elvis proffesionaly recorded, and I think that it will NEVER be released (last proffesionaly recorded song which we have officially released on any CD/DVD is overdubbed Unchained Melody from Rapid City, Cant Help Falling In Love from RC was never officialy released AFAIK).... So sad!

I can understand where you're coming from Peter, but the set is advertised as having "every master recording released during Elvis' lifetime" and while I agree that the ELVIS IN CONCERT album, the afternoon MADISON SQUARE GARDEN show and the complete ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS album would certainly be welcome additions to the set, these albums were NOT released during Elvis' lifetime. EIC didn't come out until late '77 and the afternoon MSG and complete MEMPHIS shows came out much later. :hmm:

And while I can see your point on having the live albums included on the same disc with studio cuts, again, the collection releases the songs "sequenced in strict chronological order" and therefore, it was necessary to do it this way. Otherwise, there would be no way to carry out the "chronological order" format. ;)

TCB!
Mike

Polk-Salad-Annie
08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
It seems as if BMG forgot to include (at least) one song in the new 30 cd set "The Complete Masters".
You won't find "Let's Forget About The Stars" in the set.

Jungleroom76
08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
It seems as if BMG forgot to include (at least) one song in the new 30 cd set "The Complete Masters".
You won't find "Let's Forget About The Stars" in the set.

I just read that myself Annie!! (n)

As I said in another thread...it's sad that whenever a new Elvis project is released, the fans first reaction is always "I wonder what they managed to screw up on this release??" Not only did they omit LET'S FORGET ABOUT THE STARS, which was released during Elvis' lifetime, but they've included songs like DOMINIC, VIOLET, THE WHIFFENPOOF SONG and SIGNS OF THE ZODIAC in this set and those songs weren't released until well after Elvis' lifetime when the movie soundtrack series was released in the early 1990's. So once again, we get another project that isn't "complete"... :doh:

TCB!
Mike

italianfan
08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I wish I could afford it. But it does look a very classy collection. £600..... do I buy insurance for my car or buy this set? hmmm :hmm: