PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Is Now A Potato Head

Jungleroom76
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
From Elvis.com:

http://www.elvis.com/news/images/Image/ElvisHasbroCROP.jpg

Elvis fans, toy collectors and pop culture enthusiasts will spend much of the summer anticipating the launch of the MR. POTATO HEAD ELVIS PRESLEY collectible figures from PPW Toys, under license from Hasbro, Inc. and Elvis Presley Enterprises.

Mr. Potato Head appeared as KISS last year, and this year he is ready to take on The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll. A series of Mr. Potato Head collectible figures will be released, each with a variety of costumes, instruments and other iconic components representing Elvis' most memorable performances.

The first spud to be released this August in tandem with Elvis Week events at Graceland in Memphis and will feature ELVIS’ famous white jumpsuit, microphone and guitar. A second version with Mr. Potato Head wearing black “leather” from ELVIS’ 1968 Special Performance will be released during the 2010 holiday season.

Components such as hairstyles, costumes, faces and musical instruments will be compatible with every version, so fans can mix and match the styles with hilarious results.

The Mr. Potato Head Elvis Presley collectible figures will not only appeal to kids, but these figures will also be in demand by music fans and pop culture collectors of all ages.

The Mr. Potato Head Elvis Presley Elvis Presley collectible figures will be available at specialty retailers and e-tailers.

Created in 1952, Mr. Potato Head, the first toy to be featured in a television commercial, became an instant hit with youngsters. In the past 58 years, the beloved character has emerged as an American icon, a true evergreen brand with broad demographic appeal.

Personally, I think it's kind of goofy looking and I can't believe EPE would endorse such a thing. Well, on second thought, I guess I can believe it... :doh:

Does anyone else believe this sort of thing is degrading to Elvis' image and legacy in some way??? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

italianfan
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
This is taking it too far. I dont mind the odd Elvis merch. but this is degrading. Im supprised at EPE who we all know try to promote pre 74 Elvis, the king of rock and roll image, are allowing this sort of thing. But even more I cant believe Lisa Marie is letting EPE ridicule her dad like this. I dont know what control she has over EPE anymore but surley she has some say.

I dont know why but I just cant see a John Lennon mr potato head even being allowed to getting past the 'drawing board' stage.

May
06-09-2010, 10:57 AM
:supriced:(n)(n)(n)

Jungleroom76
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
This is taking it too far. I dont mind the odd Elvis merch. but this is degrading. Im supprised at EPE who we all know try to promote pre 74 Elvis, the king of rock and roll image, are allowing this sort of thing. But even more I cant believe Lisa Marie is letting EPE ridicule her dad like this. I dont know what control she has over EPE anymore but surley she has some say.

I dont know why but I just cant see a John Lennon mr potato head even being allowed to getting past the 'drawing board' stage.

Thank you for your comments italianfan!! (y)

I'm all for promoting Elvis to a younger generation, especially knowing that a majority of his fans are getting older. But why on Earth can't they simply do this through his music??? There must be a thousand different ways to use Elvis' music to promote Elvis to a new generation of fans. If anything, using things like the Elvis Potato Head could backfire and only wind up making a joke out of Elvis' image and legacy, in my opinion. :hmm:

Elvis is, was, and will always be a musical legend and this sort of thing is just not the proper way to honor the greatest entertainer of all time! (n)

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-09-2010, 11:00 AM
:supriced:(n)(n)(n)

Thanks May for the support on this! (y)

To be honest, when I first posted this information, I was thinking that maybe it was just me that had a problem with this sort of thing...but so far, it seems like I'm not alone in my distaste for this latest degradation of Elvis' legacy... :sad:

TCB!
Mike

cibetty
06-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The silliest thing I've ever seen. (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n) (n)

Diane
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Yes that's going too far. I'm against anything that detracts from Elvis' fantastic talent and makes him look ridiculous.

Diane

Brian Quinn
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Decisions - Decisions!

If I buy one of these dolls should I boil, fry, saute, mash, roast or microwave it. One things for sure, I won't be killed in the rush to buy it.

Brian :lmfao:

Jimmy1966
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
(n)(n)(n)(n) Very Sad People Out There...

Lisarose
06-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I love Mr. Potato Heads, I have quite a collection, the Darth Tater, Astros Tater, plain mr. Potatos, but this - this is just too much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg1_ltIxGSI&NR=1

Tommy
06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
This is so sad. :mad: :doh:

franny
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
That's retarded!! (n) (n) What's next?? :blink:

franny

CLAY
06-10-2010, 06:55 AM
I can see this becoming very detrimental to Elvis image and being used as a joke for Elvis haters to make fun of (n):mad:

elvia7
06-10-2010, 07:40 AM
This is so sad. :mad: :doh:

Agree wit you Tommy - very sad, but much sad is fact that are people who such things buy(n)(n)(n)

Getlo
06-10-2010, 07:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with this at all.

It's a great way to introduce Elvis to very young children, ie the next generation.

It's not degrading in the least.

May
06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I can see this becoming very detrimental to Elvis image and being used as a joke for Elvis haters to make fun of (n):mad:

Yeh, that's why I have a problem with it. don't these jokers take the mick out of Elvis enough?:(

UDnKY
06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
They`re trying to reach young children and spark their interest in him. I can see where they`re coming from but still, I`m not sure I like it.

Wendy56
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
As I said before: it reminds me the "duck Elvis" products. They're stupid. This Porato head isn't that bad (if it appears in the Toy Story 3 movie), but don't like it either. (n)

Jungleroom76
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Decisions - Decisions!

If I buy one of these dolls should I boil, fry, saute, mash, roast or microwave it. One things for sure, I won't be killed in the rush to buy it.

Now THAT is funny!!! :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-10-2010, 11:22 AM

PRECISELY what I was thinking Clay!!! (y)

EPE is so concerned about tarnishing Elvis' image and reputation by releasing the CBS Special ELVIS IN CONCERT on DVD, yet they can release something as atrocious as this thing and not even blink an eye... :angry:

TCB!
Mike

david72
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
this product is going to harm elvis's image even more and it will cause people to make fun of him even more this potato head will be just like the elvis duck. I defintley won't be buying this!!

LaurieT
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
this product is going to harm elvis's image even more and it will cause people to make fun of him even more this potato head will be just like the elvis duck. I defintley won't be buying this!!

I just want to know "Who the heck is minding the store????" This makes me sick!!

monk37
06-10-2010, 11:14 PM
all you have to do to get young kids intreested is play a colourful Elvis movie

years ago, I was dubbing the musical numbers out of movies onto a VHS, so I could just watch the musical numbers - I was babysitting my three year old cousin

every time Elvis sang and danced, my cousin tried to dance along and clap and he cried when Elvis stopped singing

Elvis is interesting to kids without being made into dumb toys

May
06-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Very true Monk37. Now that you mentioned it, I too loved the Elvis films I saw when I was little.

Teddy
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Me too, May. The first one I ever saw was Roustabout (y)
Now my daughter enjoys them too. There's lots in there that kids enjoy.
I think the only thing which makes Elvis movies unsuitable for children is that there's actually quite a lot of casual violence :lol:
You don't really notice it until you're sat watching with your kid. :laughing:

SleepyJack
06-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Another day,another lump of tacky rubbish....(n)(n)(n)(n)

Donut
06-11-2010, 04:52 AM
How cool.
They could have made the wedding anniversary potato heads two years ago.

Teddy
06-11-2010, 05:36 AM
How cool.

http://smiley.net.ru/emorag009.gif

Diane
06-11-2010, 09:05 AM
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Diane

Lisarose
06-11-2010, 09:10 AM
There's nothing wrong with this at all.
It's a great way to introduce Elvis to very young children, ie the next generation.

It's not degrading in the least.

Perhaps not, but imo, they should then label it as Mr. PotatoHead loves Elvis. And there is a KISS Potato head, too, but
Jury's still out...

May
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
How cool.

Donut! :blink:I never thought I would say this :'(but I am disappointed in you!:nono::sad:

Teddy
06-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Donut! :blink:I never thought I would say this :'(but I am disappointed in you!:nono::sad:

She's only saying that because it means Priscilla would have become part of the humiliation :mad:

Donut
06-11-2010, 10:21 AM
You always suspecting the worst :closedeye

May
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
She's only saying that because it means Priscilla would have become part of the humiliation :mad:

Oh!! I didn't catch that! :blush: (its been a long day!):compress:

In that case Donut, you are forgiven!;)(y)

SleepyJack
06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I`ve been thinking about this one since this morning.... What if it`s not a case of Elvis now being a Mr. Potato-head?..What if Mr. Potato-head is now an Elvis????...What if more turn up??...then we`d have EPPTa`s.."Elvis Presley potato tribute artists".

Teddy
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Nothing would surprise me any more :closedeye

scarlet_nell
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
This is quite silly. I will not be buying it. I am surprised that EPE is selling this

Donut
06-12-2010, 03:13 AM
In that case Donut, you are forgiven!;)(y)

Jeez... how little faith you have in me :closedeye

Joy
06-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Not impressed with this at all. Don't think it is good for Elvis's image.What next are they going to bring out????
So sad (n) (n)

May
06-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Jeez... how little faith you have in me :closedeye

:'(:'(:unsure:

Nicole Presley
06-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Iīm already used to seeing such things. :( I donīt pay attention to it.

shelley.m.
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Whatelse is new.I couldn't be bothered buy it!

KPM
06-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Well I think its in poor taste-but that said perhaps this is for kids ......like the Disney movie Lilo and Stitch....to try and get their interest.(but its a bad idea)
Remember 85% of the "marketing rights are owned by CKX" which right now is rudderless-but they call the shots on how and where Elvis's likeness is used???

LaurieT
06-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Well I think its in poor taste-but that said perhaps this is for kids ......like the Disney movie Lilo and Stitch....to try and get their interest.(but its a bad idea)
Remember 85% of the "marketing rights are owned by CKX" which right now is rudderless-but they call the shots on how and where Elvis's likeness is used???

I thought Priscilla was on the board and Lisa ?? I thought that was the whole idea. I remember something she said about protecting his legacy and image. I thought that was why they bought out the stores across the street from Graceland,,because the merchandise was too tacky.

Dudcowboy_1
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I think this was a great idea to get the kid of now and future genurations wonder who Elvis is. You got to remember I was born after Elvis died and if it wasn't for toys with elvis like image I would not have asked who he was to my grandparents and then become a fan.

So yes this was a great idea to get kids of 5 years old or little older ask their paints why is this guy dress like this and etc. But sometimes you have to think outside the box...

May
06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I thought Priscilla was on the board and Lisa ?? I thought that was the whole idea. I remember something she said about protecting his legacy and image. I thought that was why they bought out the stores across the street from Graceland,,because the merchandise was too tacky.

That's true. On the recent programme that came out Lisa was talking about Elvis toilet paper being degrading. Surely she can't think this isnt ?

Lonniebealestreet
06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I can see there being some value in the universal appeal/recognizability of Mr. Potato Head but isn't (or wasn't) Elvis that before and beyond the spud head? And it's pretty **** difficult to try and convince people that he should be taken seriously as an artist, based on virtues and music they have no idea about, when you are on the other hand presenting him in this way. Thumbs down.

Having said that, EPE has done worse.

Donut
06-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Having said that, EPE has done worse.

I hope you were not referring to this little "jewel" :closedeye

http://www.elvicities.com/~presleyinthepres/images2005a/elvisrubberduckie.jpg

Lonniebealestreet
06-15-2010, 09:10 AM
You know what else is unfortunate? When people see something like the above in a store or online and think of you, because you're an Elvis fan so naturally you would love to have one for your desk or end-table or toilet or the bottom of your trash can...

MEMPHISKING77
06-15-2010, 11:22 AM
this is just garbage

scarlet_nell
06-18-2010, 10:32 AM
all you have to do to get young kids intreested is play a colourful Elvis movie

years ago, I was dubbing the musical numbers out of movies onto a VHS, so I could just watch the musical numbers - I was babysitting my three year old cousin

every time Elvis sang and danced, my cousin tried to dance along and clap and he cried when Elvis stopped singing

Elvis is interesting to kids without being made into dumb toys

Yep, my 4 year old son loves Elvis! I think he likes the music more than the movies though. He loves looking at his pictures too. I would not buy this toy for him. I think it is disrespectful

Teddy
06-19-2010, 02:22 AM
That's true. On the recent programme that came out Lisa was talking about Elvis toilet paper being degrading. Surely she can't think this isnt ?

Well at least you aren't supposed to wipe your backside on his Mr Potato Head, but yes, it isn't very dignified.

Incidentally May, you need to delete some PMs- I can't get into your inbox!! :'(

mistymorning
06-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Yes that's going too far. I'm against anything that detracts from Elvis' fantastic talent and makes him look ridiculous.

Diane

I totally agree with you !(y)

john carpenter
06-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Look For Elvis Transformers next year....I hope not! lol

Jungleroom76
06-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Look For Elvis Transformers next year....I hope not! lol

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Don't give EPE any other ridiculous ideas PLEASE... ;)

TCB!
Mike

KPM
06-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Priscilla is on the board-but so are many others and she only represents-15% of the stock for Lisa-that leaves voting rights of 85% and "all decisions are voted on by all the board"
so her 15% proxy has to compete with the other 85% owned by others-Priscilla has a say-"but majority rules".

nabelt24
06-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I honestly don't understand what the big deal is with this? It doesn't bother me at all. I owned a Mr. Potato Head when I was a kid and I'd like to buy it when it comes out to add it to my other Elvis collectibles.

My opinion is that Elvis would have gotten a kick out of seeing it. I think it would have been funny to him and he probably would have owned one himself! Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't believe it's making fun of Elvis or distasteful at all. It's just a fun new collectors item. There's been hundreds of off the wall merch that lots of people did not like, but it's never tarnished or overshadowed his talent or the gift that he truly was. The magic of Elvis always prevails!!!

Have a sense of humor, folks. You know that Elvis did!!!

dstrattenfan
06-23-2010, 12:29 AM
I think it's cute my 6 year old daughter fell in love w/ it.....:D

Brian Quinn
08-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Elvis Potato Head Debut

The Elvis Potato Head debuted this week in the shops of Elvis Presley’s Graceland in Memphis, TN. According to EPE, the response from fans in town was stronger than anticipated and "an emergency shipment" is being sent to Memphis by the manufacturer but until then, shops are limiting purchase to two per customer - unless you place your order twice...

Published: august 11th 2010 04:19 PM.
Published by: ElvisMatters - David Hamal .

Can't say one is on my shopping list!!

Brian :blink:

SleepyJack
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
You can have my two Brian!:lol::lol:

Brian Quinn
08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
You can have my two Brian!:lol::lol:

Jack,

As the Elvis song goes "There were five Potato Heads all tucked into their beds".........

SleepyJack
08-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Get the butter and the parsley...we`ll have a mash-party!:D

riley
08-13-2010, 09:31 AM
omg
How can Lisa allow this?????? and sleep well at night