PDA

View Full Version : 'If I Can Dream' - UK World Cup Anthem?

Brian Quinn
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Apparently the following video is beginning to pick up momentum on various TV channels, including Sky Sports:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2937429/Go-behind-the-scenes-of-The-Suns-rousing-World-Cup-ad.html

It could be an opportune time to re-release Elvis' version of this classic track. I have informed SONY (UK).

Brian (y)

italianfan
04-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Your absolutly right Brian. This is the perfect time to re-release this track especially as its pretty unknown to most. Lets hope something comes of it.

Brian Quinn
04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
More on this story.

Brian :)

The Sun has unveiled its World Cup advertisement, featuring a minute-long rousing rendition of the Elvis hit ’If I Can Dream’, fronted by the paper’s football columnist and former England Manager Terry Venables.

The ad, which had been kept under wraps until Saturday, aired during ’Britain’s Got Talent’ and showed the star football pundit singing his heart out to the classic track. The ad was filmed at Wembley stadium and is backed by the 60 piece Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and a full backing choir.

The paper’s other star football columnists Ian Wright and Harry Redknapp make guest appearances in the choir - as the three columnists became the Three Tenors. The ad wascreated by agency WCRS and Venables underwent several weeks of intense training with a professional vocal coach to enable him to perform the stirring gospel-inspired hit to a professional standard.

News International’s Rob Painter, who has led the campaign in his role as interim marketing director for The Sun, says: “This advert is just the start of a truly inspiring World Cup campaign from The Sun.

“When Terry Venables agreed to sing this rousing anthem we knew this was the start of something unique that only a brand like The Sun could convincingly deliver.

“With our advert standing alongside our outstanding editorial content, exciting digital activity and our best-in-class offers and promotions, The Sun is set to capture and ignite the mood of the nation like no other brand during this summer’s tournament. Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, 2010 might just be our year…”

The ad includes a second star appearing over the Three Lions England badge - something that the England team would add if it was successful in winning this summer’s tournament. The stars will remain a key feature of the paper’s campaign alongside the end-line ’Maybe, Just Maybe”, daring fans to back the England team and dream that 2010 might just be England’s year.

A series of TV ads will be complemented by a mix of Press, Posters, PR, DM, online advertising and social media, all as well as supporting exciting promotions and editorial features which will roll out over the next three months.

The campaign will be supported digitally with a Facebook hub featuring all kinds of exclusive content including behind the scenes footage of Terry’s journey as he goes through voice coaching and training to recording with the Royal Philharmonic through to the shooting of the ad itself. The online aspects of the campaign will be managed by Glue London and i-Level.

EnigmaticSun
04-20-2010, 03:54 AM
If the UK, still a superpower in every way, decides to choose this track for the world cup anthem, they'll be the envy of the world, no doubt!

Teddy
04-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Another classic tune sullied by a tacky association with sport.
My only comfort is that it's too complex to catch on; British soccer fans don't have sufficient intelligence to memorize this one and sing it in the terraces.
And Terry Venables murders it in this version. He has about as much expression as Joan Rivers' forehead.

SleepyJack
04-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Terry Venables singin` "If I can dream"???..... my head hurts...I need to lie down.:doh::doh::doh:

Teddy
04-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Terry Venables singin` "If I can dream"???..... my head hurts...I need to lie down.:doh::doh::doh:

If the concept alone hurts I don't recommend the experience.
Blasphemy in action, no less.

SleepyJack
04-20-2010, 06:17 AM
So...what will make it onto the album?? Hmmmm.....
1. "Your cheatin` heart" by John Terry.
2. "The Fool" by Ashley Cole.
3. "The Impossible Dream" by England World Cup Squad.
4. "Confidence" by Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard (Everly-style duet)

Any to add to that Tedster?

Teddy
04-20-2010, 06:34 AM
If you examine the lyrics to Song Of The Shrimp they actually relate more directly to the plight of the England team than If I Can Dream.

SleepyJack
04-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Not really... the little shrimp actually found the net!!!:lol::lol::lol:

SleepyJack
04-20-2010, 06:43 AM
My curiosity got the better of me.... I just watched it. Very Saturday night karaoke down the local pub.I`m numb now.:blink:

Teddy
04-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Not really... the little shrimp actually found the net!!!:lol::lol::lol:

See how I set up your goal there? ;)

Actually, I was referring more to the travel references, free rides, grand hotels and complete emotional dependance on their parents :closedeye

Brian Quinn
04-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Whatever one thinks of the Terry Venables version, if SONY re-releases the Elvis version as a single around the time of the World Cup it should be a big hit.

Brian

SleepyJack
04-20-2010, 07:00 AM
:blink::blink::blink: Way too deep for me today Teddy man... i`m gonna put on mah reeboks and go chasin` rabbits.Analyse that!!:hmm:

SleepyJack
04-20-2010, 07:18 AM
I can see your point... it would be a good way to promote the song and everything,and it might even be a big hit.... but,to my way of thinking,that would only be a "novelty" hit and wouldn`t really do Elvis any good.What I would prefer would be to see a good,strong single released for its own merits...there is already enough of the "novelty" factor surrounding the public image of Elvis... I don`t think Elvis` musical credibility will ever be increased when it is tied in to some large advertising campaign, it would just be another cheap,opportunistic attempt at making money. I`d love to see an Elvis single succeed in todays music charts because it is a great track and can stand alone without any gimmicks or any of the usual tacky rubbish surrounding it....and I think that is about the only way to even begin undoing all the harm that`s been done to Elvis` place in music history by all the cheapness and money-making schemes.

Teddy
04-20-2010, 07:34 AM
...there is already enough of the "novelty" factor surrounding the public image of Elvis... I don`t think Elvis` musical credibility will ever be increased when it is tied in to some large advertising campaign, it would just be another cheap,opportunistic attempt at making money. I`d love to see an Elvis single succeed in todays music charts because it is a great track and can stand alone without any gimmicks or any of the usual tacky rubbish surrounding it....and I think that is about the only way to even begin undoing all the harm that`s been done to Elvis` place in music history by all the cheapness and money-making schemes.

I agree- that's why this Venables monstrosity is such bad news, Jackie-boy. Any soccer tie-in is always going to be naff and place Elvis in a novelty context.

Brian Quinn
04-20-2010, 07:46 AM
The year is 2010. Without a major boost e.g. duet, remix, or TV promotion (ALLC) etc. Elvis will not get played. SONY have already acknowledged this and that is why they have been waiting for the 'Viva Elvis' CD so they can evaluate suitable tracks for single release prior to the album debut.

jon_burrows
04-21-2010, 06:57 AM
My only comfort is that it's too complex to catch on; British soccer fans don't have sufficient intelligence to memorize this one and sing it in the terraces.
And Terry Venables murders it in this version. He has about as much expression as Joan Rivers' forehead.

Oh dear, I hope that is a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment. Otherwise it is an un-educated, ignorant one, not to mention insulting.

Brian Quinn
05-28-2010, 06:05 AM
Sony (UK) state they are not going to release Elvis' version of 'If I Can Dream' to coincide with the World Cup but if the Terry Venables version is a success they will monitor what they can do.

Brian

Jimmy1966
05-28-2010, 11:19 AM
5. David James....Saved
6. Wayne Rooney ....Wonder Of You (Roo)
7. England Team...Hard Luck
8. Fabio Capello....Stranger In The Crowd
So...what will make it onto the album?? Hmmmm.....
1. "Your cheatin` heart" by John Terry.
2. "The Fool" by Ashley Cole.
3. "The Impossible Dream" by England World Cup Squad.
4. "Confidence" by Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard (Everly-style duet)

Any to add to that Tedster?

Jimmy1966
05-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm Gutted My Beloved REP OF EIRE Are Not There ....Hope The French Go Out First...lol
5. David James....Saved
6. Wayne Rooney ....Wonder Of You (Roo)
7. England Team...Hard Luck
8. Fabio Capello....Stranger In The Crowd

Teddy
05-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Oh dear, I hope that is a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment. Otherwise it is an un-educated, ignorant one, not to mention insulting.

Nope- it's definitely educated and completely enlightened.

British people giving the little bit of hard-earned money they have to watch wildly over-payed buffoons kick a ball around while syphoning the cash into foreign bank accounts is definitely ignorant and totally insulting.
Frankly, it's this unquestioning, blinkered allegiance to the sport which has made it the exclusive pastime of the "uneducated" in Britain for decades.
Anyone who turns over a penny to the UK soccer industry is wantonly ignorant and contributing directly to the rapid degeneration of the country.

'Beautiful Game' my ar$e. It's the plaything of disinterested tycoons and the passion of the deeply unintelligent.
You would think the Mike Ashley experience had made that absolutely clear.

May
05-29-2010, 06:08 AM

Terrific answer! (y)(y):lol:

May
05-29-2010, 06:12 AM

British people giving the little bit of hard-earned money they have to watch wildly over-payed buffoons kick a ball around while syphoning the cash into foreign bank accounts is definitely ignorant and totally insulting.
Frankly, it's this unquestioning, blinkered allegiance to the sport which has made it the exclusive pastime of the "uneducated" in Britain for decades.
Anyone who turns over a penny to the UK soccer industry is wantonly ignorant and contributing directly to the rapid degeneration of the country.

'Beautiful Game' my ar$e. It's the plaything of disinterested tycoons and the passion of the deeply unintelligent.

:lmfao::lmfao:Brilliant!
A guy at my husbands workplace asked him the other day, "what are (name of company) doing for the World Cup?" (in other words, how many afternoons do we get off work to watch the tele)

He replied "Im pretty sure we arent entering a team!"

;)

Teddy
05-29-2010, 06:28 PM
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

geordie
05-29-2010, 07:30 PM
i started a thread about this subject about 3/4 days ,before this one opened,i got 1 reply.why is that i wonder?

i been a member of this club since it started, does thee know lol

Brian Quinn
06-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Looks like old 'El Tel' is going to have a hit with 'If I Can Dream'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/382535011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_2_last

It's sold out at Amazon.

Brian

Teddy
06-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Looks like old 'El Tel' is going to have a hit with 'If I Can Dream'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/382535011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_2_last

It's sold out at Amazon.

This is an utter catastrophe for Elvis-lovers.
One of his most sublime moments is in the process of being hijacked in the most neanderthal way.
For decades, If I Can Dream has represented the emotional climax of Elvis's return to greatness and a poignant clarion call to optimism in troubled times.
Now an entire generation of simpletons are going to be murdering this song on the terraces, as it becomes inextricably linked with the dissonant drone of inebriated m*rons.
No amount of 3rd rate Elvis Impersonators could poison this song within cultural consciousness as swiftly and depressingly as this.

Time to emigrate.

jon_burrows
06-08-2010, 04:09 AM

As I said your comment is "un-educated, ignorant and insulting".

Teddy
06-08-2010, 04:43 AM
As I said your comment is "un-educated, ignorant and insulting".

I imagine you must see yourself as one of the subjects of my derision to be taking this so sensitively.
But you really should take the time to account for your comment, as I did, or you run the risk of being the only "insulting" party.

I have explained why I feel that the soccer industry is bankrolled by shamelessly exploiting the working class and intellectually-challenged element in our society.
Now tell me why I'm uneducated and ignorant, and what makes my comment any more insulting than yours? :hmm:

fountainpen
06-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I hope they do release Elvis ' version also.

Teddy
06-08-2010, 04:57 AM
I hope they do release Elvis ' version also.

The Elvis version has been widely available in most record stores for years!
I don't feel any need whatsoever to have it repackaged as a network chart-eligible 'single', just to moderately raise his profile for a few minutes while tarnishing his real legacy in the process with a simultaneously released 'working men's club' version, performed by Terry bl**dy Venables for a tongue-in-cheek novelty release, expressly crafted as low-brow entertainment for a gullible underclass.

jon_burrows
06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I imagine you must see yourself as one of the subjects of my derision to be taking this so sensitively.
But you really should take the time to account for your comment, as I did, or you run the risk of being the only "insulting" party.

I have explained why I feel that the soccer industry is bankrolled by shamelessly exploiting the working class and intellectually-challenged element in our society.
Now tell me why I'm uneducated and ignorant, and what makes my comment any more insulting than yours? :hmm:

I haven't insulted anyone in my posts. But with this phrase...

British soccer fans don't have sufficient intelligence

....I feel you have insulted British soccer fans. I am an England soccer fan therefore you have included me in this group. To say I "don't have sufficient intelligence" is insulting and it is an ignorant staement to make as you don't know me personally. I respect your opinions on soccer in general but you can't generalise and insult people you don't know.

Teddy
06-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I respect your opinions on soccer in general but you can't generalise and insult people you don't know.

That's fair enough, you're right about that and I apologise for any offense caused.
But don't you feel completely exploited?

Brian Quinn
06-08-2010, 08:39 AM
In the Midweek UK Single Charts the Terry Venables version of 'If I Can Dream' is at No.36 with 2361 sales. It is currently No.26 on the i-Tunes Chart.

The irony of the whole thing is guess which label it is released on - 'You've got it ...............SONY!!

Brian :blink:

Teddy
06-09-2010, 03:12 AM
In the Midweek UK Single Charts the Terry Venables version of 'If I Can Dream' is at No.36 with 2361 sales. It is currently No.26 on the i-Tunes Chart.

The irony of the whole thing is guess which label it is released on - 'You've got it ...............SONY!!

The only thing more disturbing than Terry Venables exhuming Elvis is the fact that you can get to Number 36 in the UK singles chart with 2361 sales nowadays.
Anybody fancy making a hit record? Shouldn't be too much trouble at this rate. Especially since the sound of flatulence would literally be an improvement upon Terry singing If I Can Dream.
Sony will have to account to the Lord for its crimes.

italianfan
06-09-2010, 03:26 AM
It does annoy me that If I Can Dream can get to number 36, if only it was Elvis' version. But saying that, if Elvis' version was released and only got to 36, then I'd see that as quiet disappointing. Its only because this is a 'karaoke' version that its so annoying.

I wonder if SONY decided not to release Elvis' version because of the fear that two versions would cancel each other out and neither would be successful.

Only positive about this, is the hope that hearing this version will encourage people to seek out Elvis' version.

Brian Quinn
06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
It does annoy me that If I Can Dream can get to number 36, if only it was Elvis' version. But saying that, if Elvis' version was released and only got to 36, then I'd see that as quiet disappointing. Its only because this is a 'karaoke' version that its so annoying.

I wonder if SONY decided not to release Elvis' version because of the fear that two versions would cancel each other out and neither would be successful.

Only positive about this, is the hope that hearing this version will encourage people to seek out Elvis' version.

I suspect you are right about having two versions out at the same time. I believe The SUN Newspaper came up with the idea for the single release and had recorded it before SONY had any major input. Had the Elvis Version been accepted as the OFFICIAL England World Cup Song, together with a video of the whole team singing along, then it would have been a No.1 hit. SONY are still missing the boat as even if the Terry Venables version does attract people to buy the Elvis version a check with Amazon UK reveals there is one single CD version for sale at 14.99 and 5 copies on 10" Vinyl at 4.99.

Brian

Raised on Rock
06-09-2010, 09:41 PM
The Elvis version has been widely available in most record stores for years!
I don't feel any need whatsoever to have it repackaged as a network chart-eligible 'single', just to moderately raise his profile for a few minutes while tarnishing his real legacy in the process with a simultaneously released 'working men's club' version, performed by Terry bl**dy Venables for a tongue-in-cheek novelty release, expressly crafted as low-brow entertainment for a gullible underclass.
I do agree with you.

This could not be considered a benefit for Elvis except if we are only thinking of him as a mere product, then yes, this could give us a few bucks, but really?

What Elvis do needs right now is to be exposed as the artist he was: the singer, the performer. It is his artistic value what needs to be boosted up in front of new generations. That will give him a long term presence.

What Elvis does NOT need is to be presented over and over as a mere comercial phenomenon that is still making money.

Raised on Rock
06-09-2010, 09:42 PM

I would like to say that I do once again agree with you on this one, and I do think the same could be said in most countries.

Yet I would like to point out that one thing is the business and another the sport. The sport is a great thing, there is nothing wrong in being a fan of that.

Yes, it is to bad the business and political crap has taken over the game and ruined mosts aspects of it. But this is Capitalism right? and the same thing you are stating could be said about so many other issues in modern life. I mean, talking about BMG? talking about the music business and what in many cases could awfully mean to be a music fan? a whoever artist fan?

In your same train of thinking, what happened to the world cup, it could well describe what could happen to Elvis and the fans. Same forces took Elvis once from Elvis is Back! and Wild in the Country greatnes, to Clambake and Who needs money I Do, and the fans still clapped their hands?

Teddy
06-10-2010, 03:40 AM
I do agree with you.

This could not be considered a benefit for Elvis except if we are only thinking of him as a mere product, then yes, this could give us a few bucks, but really?

What Elvis do needs right now is to be exposed as the artist he was: the singer, the performer. It is his artistic value what needs to be boosted up in front of new generations. That will give him a long term presence.

What Elvis does NOT need is to be presented over and over as a mere comercial phenomenon that is still making money.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly- people often confuse 'success' with the ability to generate income.
It isn't important to me if 'The Elvis Business' makes another penny. What matters at this stage is the maintenance of his memory and the integrity of the manner in which it is preserved.
Hijacking one of his most noble moments for cheap soccer marketing is a significant step in the wrong direction.

Teddy
06-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Yet I would like to point out that one thing is the business and another the sport. The sport is a great thing, there is nothing wrong in being a fan of that.

Yes, it is to bad the business and political crap has taken over the game and ruined mosts aspects of it. But this is Capitalism right? and the same thing you are stating could be said about so many other issues in modern life. I mean, talking about BMG? talking about the music business and what in many cases could awfully mean to be a music fan? a whoever artist fan?

In your same train of thinking, what happened to the world cup, it could well describe what could happen to Elvis and the fans. Same forces took Elvis once from Elvis is Back! and Wild in the Country greatnes, to Clambake and Who needs money I Do, and the fans still clapped their hands?

You're absolutely right.

And for what it's worth, I imagine I'll be watching the World Cup as closely as the next guy.
But genuine fans of the game would do well to completely boycott Premiership football in the UK before they are insulted a moment longer.

Raised on Rock
06-11-2010, 01:19 AM
But genuine fans of the game would do well to completely boycott Premiership football in the UK before they are insulted a moment longer.

Wonder what could have happened if Elvis fans would have stop going to the cinema and buying the soundtracks post Roustabout? a '66 comback special instead of a '68 one?

Teddy
06-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Wonder what could have happened if Elvis fans would have stop going to the cinema and buying the soundtracks post Roustabout? a '66 comback special instead of a '68 one?

Hopefully it would have forced an investigation of more substantial material, for sure. (y)
Parker's tendency to keep Elvis in a state of creative inertia was largely due to the fact that it was so profitable, which made him reluctant to explore any changes.
People like him only respect money. That's why you must strike at the heart of their one true interest. $$$$$$$$$$$

It's like some of the EPE grievances. If people don't like the current crop of Elvis merchandise, all they really need to do is stop buying it.

jon_burrows
06-11-2010, 04:41 AM
That's fair enough, you're right about that and I apologise for any offense caused.
But don't you feel completely exploited?

To keep this answer short, I do feel somewhat exploited. But I love Football as a sport not the greedy businessmen who run the clubs and the FA, and not the over-payed footballers.
The points you raised about the Football World could apply to almost every business in the world including the businesses involved with Elvis merchandise. The money we pay for CDs, DVDs and books etc also go to businessmen who'll get richer from it. That's exploitation and that seems to be the way of the world. I can't stop paying for products such as CDs, books, DVDs, football match tickets etc because I feel exploited because I would end up with nothing and have a miserable life. But I can pick and choose which books, CDs, match tickets etc I buy.

For me, first there is Elvis, then there is football.

jon_burrows
06-11-2010, 05:08 AM

This is THE only positive thing that could come from Terry Venables' version.

There is a campaign on youtube to release Elvis' version along with a video with Elvis and England players on the same screen!

For me England, its players and the World Cup aren't big enough to be linked with Elvis' "If I Can Dream".

Teddy
06-11-2010, 05:29 AM
For me England, its players and the World Cup aren't big enough to be linked with Elvis' "If I Can Dream".

Quite right (y)

Raised on Rock
06-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Hopefully it would have forced an investigation of more substantial material, for sure. (y)
Parker's tendency to keep Elvis in a state of creative inertia was largely due to the fact that it was so profitable, which made him reluctant to explore any changes.
People like him only respect money. That's why you must strike at the heart of their one true interest. $$$$$$$$$$$

It's like some of the EPE grievances. If people don't like the current crop of Elvis merchandise, all they really need to do is stop buying it.

Exactly, the '68 comback happened only because finally L.P.'s and singles where charting as low as 90, 98, on the top 100, and the movies had long stoped being at the top of the box office. The question is, were Harum Scarum or Girl Happy any better than Clambake or Speedway? (both movie and soundtracks) not to me, yet Harum Scarum and Girl Happy made the Top 10, got a quick gold record status, and the movies draw millions, how so? I say fans lack of responsability. By '65 there was already big dicontent among both, fans and the critics, about the stuff Presley was delivering, yet everybody keept buying. The result? the situation was prolongated 3 more awfull years!!! Yes it was Col. Parker greed and lack of perspective to blame, but fans also are to blame! When fans quit buying, Parker's ideas mattered no more, it was time for a change!!!

Any way this is only to say: as Fans, Elvis fans, sports fans, whatever fans, you got to be extracritic and responsable about what are you going or not to say yes, or else...