PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones drummer, Charlie Watts blasts Elvis and the Beatles

The Everlasting Gaze
02-01-2010, 02:15 AM
What's up with the Rolling Stones? As they fast approach the anniversary of their half century of playing together, guitarist Keith Richards recently hopped on the wagon after decades of pummeling his body and now drummer Charlie Watts has told an Austrian newspaper that he's always hated the music of Elvis Presley and 60s rival the Beatles.

The drummer, who is currently playing a series of concerts in Austria with blues-jazz ensemble The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie (named after the musicians in the band - pianists Axel Zwingenberger and Ben Waters, drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Dave Green), said, "I've never been a big Beatles fan.
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/charliewatts.jpg

"Of Ringo, yes, but not of the music. And I've always hated Elvis. He was the last one I wanted to use as a guide. Miles Davis and Fats Domino, yes, but Elvis, no."

(News, Source: spinner.com) / EIN

Merry
02-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Hi Glenn,

Charlie also runs down his own band, the Rolling Stones, lol (The rest of The Stones love Elvis).

Charlie is certainly a "Little bit of Sunshine" huh? lol (sarcasm).

What's up with the Rolling Stones? As they fast approach the anniversary of their half century of playing together, guitarist Keith Richards recently hopped on the wagon after decades of pummeling his body and now drummer Charlie Watts has told an Austrian newspaper that he's always hated the music of Elvis Presley and 60s rival the Beatles.

The drummer, who is currently playing a series of concerts in Austria with blues-jazz ensemble The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie (named after the musicians in the band - pianists Axel Zwingenberger and Ben Waters, drummer Charlie Watts and bassist Dave Green), said, "I've never been a big Beatles fan.
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/charliewatts.jpg

"Of Ringo, yes, but not of the music. And I've always hated Elvis. He was the last one I wanted to use as a guide. Miles Davis and Fats Domino, yes, but Elvis, no."

(News, Source: spinner.com) / EIN

May
02-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Sour grapes??

Teddy
02-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Charlie comes from a mainly jazz background, so a lot of rock'n'roll was as confounding for him as it was for the older generation.

debtdbruno
02-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Marty has retaliated in yesterdays EIN page..............

Diane
02-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Charlie comes from a mainly jazz background, so a lot of rock'n'roll was as confounding for him as it was for the older generation.

Most of the "older" generation that disliked Elvis are gone........

Diane

john carpenter
02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Well...Charlie must be senile:lmfao: I wonder if Elvis like the Stones?:hmm:

U.S. Male
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
guitarist Keith Richards recently hopped on the wagon after decades of pummeling his body

I thought Keith Richards passed away in 1979, but his body refused to go away...:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Hate to see Charlie make these comments (n)

But, everyone does have a right to their opinion, so let him have it - we have the right to not agree though :D

Jimmy1966
02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
9 out of 10 people would not even know who charlie watts is. . . totally forgettable as a drummer he was mediocre very much like Ringo who??? Some People are very bitter cos they never made an impact like elvis or the beatles. i do like jagger/richards though.

Jimmy1966
02-01-2010, 09:08 AM

Diane

well said (y)(y)

Dino78
02-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Exactly what I wanted to say. (y)

medleyofcostumes
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Just for the record, Charlie Watts quit the Stones during 2009.

And like anybody else he is entitled to his opinion.

We may disagree but like many said before me - it is very likely that a drummer with a jazz background will dislike mainstream music (even though recording with a mainstream group for 40+ years)

Many great jazz drummers end up recording and touring with pop artists for a living but their heart will still be in jazz. Unfortunately, I believe money in the music industry is in pop.

EnigmaticSun
02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Many great jazz drummers end up recording and touring with pop artists for a living but their heart will still be in jazz. Unfortunately, I believe money in the music industry is in pop.

Good point.

Anyway Elvis is like a Messiah or a total waste of space (or the Fallen Angel or whatever). That means this man (Watts) too lives up to the stereotype: both worship and hate are blind and both are used to deal with Elvis' memory. It's so hard to find a balance wherever you go.

No doubt Watts' comments will ring a bell in a more intellectual environment.

Many Elvis-fans have a certain pre-emptive meanness over them, because they feel guilty over not being intelligent and liking what is considered mainstream.

But it doesn't bother me and I have d@mn good reasons for it.

Raised on Rock
02-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Well this is no surprise for anyone who has followed The Stones in the way most of us have followed Elvis.

He does come from the old Jazz guard, rock and roll in the 50's was alien to him as it was for most jazz musicians. It was common place snobbery back then to reduce rock and roll as non intelligent music, this also had to to not only to a generation and ideological clash between Jazz and rock and roll, but by the fact that R&R records outsold Jazz records.

By the late 60's and early 70's, that started to change, and the animosity between Jazz people and rock people not only ceased but they started to feed from each other. But Mr. Charlie Watts obviously belongs to the generation before, so it is no surprise at all that he's putting down The Beatles and Elvis Presley, in fact, he has done same thing with The Stones many times before.

I bet if we ask Charlie to review the whole Stones catalogue, he will put down more than half of it. As many Jazz musicians in the early 60's he only accepted to play in a pop band for the money, in fact there are a few Jazz great ones that even got to record in some of Presley´s early to mid 60's soundtrack sessions! just for the money! (and I never heard any of them to say anything bad about Elvis, in fact some have talked about how professional he was, his amazing talent even if they where doing teenage bubblegum) So for Charlie Watts to became THe Stones drummer, back in ´62, might have been acceptable to him, he was young with no real credentials in Jazz, and mainly cause back then they operated under Brian Jones manifest about being a strictly Blues and R&B band, and it was under recommendation of Alexis Korner, so that could be acceptable for a Jazz dude.

Latter on when Jagger and Richards took over Jones and moved towards rock and roll, Watts just sticked in because love on the money, and nothing wrong with it, but Jazz was always his passion, and since the mid 80's, The Stones seems to be for him more of a side project, being his Jazz ones more important to him.

Anyway, just for the record, he is actually a great guy, much more sane than most rock superstars, he has never been politically correct towards the dogmas and icons of Rock music, which is something I do respect. He doesn't like Elvis and The Bealtes, well up to him, nothing wrong with that. He is not attacking them in an unfair way making up shit about them, he's just saying is not his stuff.

Teddy
02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Diane

I meant the older generation at the time- all past tense ;)

Raised on Rock
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
...both worship and hate are blind and both are used to deal with Elvis' memory.

GREAT POINT (There is a great lead here on your comment about how is that Elvis is at the same time: one or the most well known artist of the XX century, but at the same time, the most underrated?)

Well fanatics usually attract a lot of hate don't they?

So maybe, before complaining about how the media and everybody laughs at Elvis, we, the fans, should start working towards a more objective and sane relationship with our loved guy and for his own benefit.

A link from here to the next thread:http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=32283

Raised on Rock
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Well...Charlie must be senile:lmfao: I wonder if Elvis like the Stones?:hmm:

As far as I recall, he liked them, yes, when they were mainly an R&B and R&R combo, the early days, same as he liked The Animals, The Beatles and other british invasion groups. In a '65 interview he referred to them as his favourite UK band after the Beatles. (Although never crazy about them and preferred to listen to the real thing: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry any time.)

But after '66, when they went over their psychedelic period and then went into spoke-mans of the so called 60's counter culture he stopped liking them, (probably more about an ideological clash than because of the music itself), same as it happened to him with The Beatles.

Despite Charlie Watts comment, Jagger, Richards and Wyman have spoken highly about Elvis, just for the record.

U.S. Male
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Just for the record, Charlie Watts quit the Stones during 2009.

Really!!!! :jawdrop: Wow I must have missed the news on that...they won't be the same w/o him

buttonhead
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Wow...he might have had a senior moment :lol: -- excuse my language but -- he is also a has been --- he is nothing compared to Ronnie Tutt---

SunStudios54
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Wow...he might have had a senior moment :lol: -- excuse my language but -- he is also a has been --- he is nothing compared to Ronnie Tutt---

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hominuk
02-01-2010, 09:40 PM

And didn't his 26 year old granddaughter....oops I mean girlfriend just dump him?

monk37
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
9 out of 10 people would not even know who charlie watts is. . . totally forgettable as a drummer he was mediocre very much like Ringo who??? Some People are very bitter cos they never made an impact like elvis or the beatles. i do like jagger/richards though.

isn't he the Stones guy who dated the 14 (or was it 12) year old and married her when she was 18 (or was it 16) when he was over 40?

seriously, if you're not Mick or Keith, you're pretty much a background player in the band

perhaps he should have stayed pure, jazz and obscure

instead of playing in an Elvis inspired rock n roll band

Teddy
02-02-2010, 02:32 AM
isn't he the Stones guy who dated the 14 (or was it 12) year old and married her when she was 18 (or was it 16) when he was over 40?

No, that's Bill Wyman (bass).
He left the Stones in the early 1990s.

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Charlie Watts is a ***** if he sold out to Rock 'n' Roll when he preferred Jazz! To then publicly denounce one of the founding fathers and the Beatles is just petty (n)

It's not what you say, but how you say it Charlie, you dufas.

Teddy
02-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Well, we are talking about a man who, after years of resolute abstinence, elected to develop a heroin habit on the grounds that he could "afford to". :doh:

Merry
02-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Charlie Watts is a ***** if he sold out to Rock 'n' Roll when he preferred Jazz! To then publicly denounce one of the founding fathers and the Beatles is just petty (n)

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

::wiggle:

:wiggle:

You go Matt! lol :D

(y)

Merry
02-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Well, we are talking about a man who, after years of resolute abstinence, elected to develop a heroin habit on the grounds that he could "afford to". :doh:

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

:doh:

May
02-02-2010, 05:15 AM

Dufas! :lmfao::lmfao:(y)

romar
02-02-2010, 05:15 AM
He really left the Stones? Is that for reall?

Getlo
02-02-2010, 05:57 AM
9 out of 10 people would not even know who charlie watts is. . . totally forgettable as a drummer.

Oh, come off it! :angry:

Getlo
02-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Really!!!! Wow I must have missed the news on that...they won't be the same w/o him

Yeah, everyone missed that, because it never happened.

Charlie is still the Stones' drummer.

Teddy
02-02-2010, 06:33 AM
I haven't actually read the piece, but I suspect that we may be taking this quote from Charlie a little to seriously, anyway.
He's known for his dry and curmudgeonly sense of humor, often playing up the grumpiness because it's expected of him. It's unlikely that he intended his comments to be disrespectful to either Elvis or the Beatles- the latter of which were good friends of the Stones since the 1960s, after all.

KPM
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Yes he loves jazz-my curiosity is how he got into the Rolling Stones since he does have a natural love of jazz?

medleyofcostumes
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Actually I've been a drummer for 20 years and quite technical by now. The major's role of a drummer is time keeping and making the music sound good. Charlie Watts (and drummers like Ringo of the beatles) may not be technicians but they made the music feel good.

Ronnie Tutt is an outstanding drummer who also made the music feel good (apart from being a power house)

It's difficult to compare musicians so I just say they are both good (the best doesn't exist)

Really!!!! :jawdrop: Wow I must have missed the news on that...they won't be the same w/o him

The stones have been 'dead' artistically for years. Just touring as a greatest hits act year after year, releasing live dvds with 90% same setlist. Actually, Watts wanted to leave years ago, but was talked into it. Now he's had enough.

Character wise he is quite reserved compared to Mick and Keith who are flambouyant to say the least. It was always a surprise how Charlie stuck with them for all these years (money? or he was never a threat to Mick & Keith who ARE the Stones. )

Jimmy1966
02-02-2010, 09:47 AM

if he ever seen ronnie tutt play he would never pick a set of drumsticks up again...lmao(y)

Raised on Rock
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes he loves jazz-my curiosity is how he got into the Rolling Stones since he does have a natural love of jazz?

Already explained that on a previous post in this thread.

The Stones started out as a blues and R&B band under a manifest by Brian Jones, he joined them under recommendation of Alexis Korner, he was a young Jazz drummer with no credentials, so you got to start somewhere, an R&B combo was no really betraying Jazz if there is such thing.

Then when Jagger and Richards took over Jones and became a Rock and Roll band, he sticked in because money started rolling big time, and there is nothing wrong with that. plus by now he became good friends with the guys and was not left them in a crucial point.

Since the mid 80's, when the Stones became a merely oldies/greatest hit act, a series of actually good Jazz projects have been his priority, and the stones more of a side thing to make tons of money for the family and to feed indeed some of the jazz projects as some of them are no so rentable, and there is nothing wrong with that. Nothing new, as I said before, people like Barney Kessel, a great Jazz guitarist on his own, did sessions in hollywood and played in some Elvis soundtracks and Beach Boys stuff, just to make some good money and keep it up with the Jazz thing.

Raised on Rock
02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I haven't actually read the piece, but I suspect that we may be taking this quote from Charlie a little to seriously, anyway.
He's known for his dry and curmudgeonly sense of humor, often playing up the grumpiness because it's expected of him. It's unlikely that he intended his comments to be disrespectful to either Elvis or the Beatles- the latter of which were good friends of the Stones since the 1960s, after all.

So somebody sane over here finally does get it. (y)

Please, Charlie have made even harsher comments about The Stones music and the many sell outs they have committed.

He is not being disrespectful to Elvis, neither he is making up some crap about him, he is not even saying that Elvis was no talented or something like that. He's just saying is not his cup of tea, he does not like that music, and that he never (compared to most people his aged Jagger and Richards included) considered Elvis as a role model. Same thing with the Beat Bugs.

Relax people.

Raised on Rock
02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
if he ever seen ronnie tutt play he would never pick a set of drumsticks up again...lmao(y)

Yeah! sure, get real bro...

Tutt is great, but Watts has nothing to ask from him.

buttonhead
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM

I met him once .... asked for autograph...he had that chubby cheeky smile :)....yet so humble... despite all his achievement and who's Who he's been playing with throughout his career (y)

Getlo
02-03-2010, 05:51 AM
The stones have been 'dead' artistically for years.

Please.

Their last album, A Bigger Bang, received wide critical acclaim and did extremely well around the world: No2 in the UK, No 3 in the US, and it sold almost 4 million copies.

Just touring as a greatest hits act year after year, releasing live dvds with 90% same setlist.

I can tell by this that you've never seen the Stones in concert, or if you have, you weren't watching/listening. Their tours are never the same. They never play the same setlist on consecutive nights. Ever. Their DVD releases also offer a wide variety... Four Flicks being a good start to expand your musical knowledge of the greatest rock'n'roll band in history.

Actually, Watts wanted to leave years ago, but was talked into it. Now he's had enough.

Charlie Watts has not left the Stones.

medleyofcostumes
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Please.

Their last album, A Bigger Bang, received wide critical acclaim and did extremely well around the world: No2 in the UK, No 3 in the US, and it sold almost 4 million copies.

So do all Britany Spears albums!
I have ALL the Rolling Stones cd's and DVD's + VHS and unlike the impression I may have given, I actually like the stones quite a bit. My point is not commercial success but artistic. For me the last artistically successful album was Bridges to Babylon in 1997 - 13 years ago. Some argue that they have been rewriting the same couple of songs over and over since the early 1970's. Although this statement is a generalisation and I don't totally agree with it, there is some truth in it. For me, the Stone's strength has always been the ballads which are incredibly good.

I can tell by this that you've never seen the Stones in concert, or if you have, you weren't watching/listening. Their tours are never the same. They never play the same setlist on consecutive nights. Ever. Their DVD releases also offer a wide variety... Four Flicks being a good start to expand your musical knowledge of the greatest rock'n'roll band in history.

Actually I experienced the Rolling Stones live twice. I never put in doubt the great spectacle, the show, the atmosphere, the vibe - it's just unbelievable!! I can easily say that both experiences were unforgettable. But my point is that recent material rarely survives the following tour's setlist and they mostly rely on their 'greatest hits'. (which I absolutely love, by the way). You may say how can you play songs from all albums in a catalogue of 40 years?But from recent tours, how many songs from 'Steel Wheels', 'Voodoo Lounge', 'Bridges to Babylon', 'Goat Head's Soup' etc are played?

Charlie Watts has not left the Stones.

Actually,I saw the news over the net in September. The following is the link:

http://www.realrocknews.com/charlie-watts-retires-from-the-rolling-stones/

Unfortunately, and wrongly on my part, I did not notice the denial. So, my sincere apologies - according to the band - Charlie's still there. :doh:

Teddy
02-03-2010, 03:48 PM
how many songs from 'Steel Wheels', 'Voodoo Lounge', 'Bridges to Babylon', 'Goat Head's Soup' etc are played?

Goats Head Soup has some great material on it which is sometimes revisited live, though. The Mick Taylor years are pretty consistent in their quality, as Stones' output goes. (y)

buttonhead
02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I can tell by this that you've never seen the Stones in concert, or if you have, you weren't watching/listening. Their tours are never the same. They never play the same setlist on consecutive nights.

Would love to see Stones in concert, ....but i dont think i can stand Mick Jagger dance like 'worm ' :lol: with all due respect...

For his female fans , i think thats appealing, ... it just doesnt float my boat...:hmm:

Jimmy1966
02-04-2010, 08:40 AM

seriously, if you're not Mick or Keith, you're pretty much a background player in the band

perhaps he should have stayed pure, jazz and obscure

instead of playing in an Elvis inspired rock n roll band

Very True...(y)(y)

KPM
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Already explained that on a previous post in this thread.

The Stones started out as a blues and R&B band under a manifest by Brian Jones, he joined them under recommendation of Alexis Korner, he was a young Jazz drummer with no credentials, so you got to start somewhere, an R&B combo was no really betraying Jazz if there is such thing.

Then when Jagger and Richards took over Jones and became a Rock and Roll band, he sticked in because money started rolling big time, and there is nothing wrong with that. plus by now he became good friends with the guys and was not left them in a crucial point.

Since the mid 80's, when the Stones became a merely oldies/greatest hit act, a series of actually good Jazz projects have been his priority, and the stones more of a side thing to make tons of money for the family and to feed indeed some of the jazz projects as some of them are no so rentable, and there is nothing wrong with that. Nothing new, as I said before, people like Barney Kessel, a great Jazz guitarist on his own, did sessions in hollywood and played in some Elvis soundtracks and Beach Boys stuff, just to make some good money and keep it up with the Jazz thing.
I would not call branching into other music betraying anything-but jazz people are usually loyalists to that music which is what I was wondering about Watts.
I am aware of the story of the Stones-but even with Jones I hear little of real jazz-compared to the huge blues influence that is almost forefront at times.
Certainly their single records in the mid 60s and the bulk of their albums were not near jazz-but did have a blues feel.
I know most true jazz purists just do not like rock, they find it monotonous (at least my late uncle who loved true jazz said it was)
Watts is entitled to his opinion.

Raised on Rock
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
...but even with Jones I hear little of real jazz-compared to the huge blues influence that is almost forefront at times.
Certainly their single records in the mid 60s and the bulk of their albums were not near jazz-but did have a blues feel.

You will never hear anything close to Jazz in Stones early music cause they have never played it, neither been influenced by Jazz. (Latter on in the late 70's there is one appearance of the great Sonny Rollings with them, and some nice Jazzy bits on one of Keiths themes in Bridges to Babylon, but that has nothing to do with the topic))

They, as I said, started out as a blues and & r&b combo, which was, for an aspiring Jazz drummer as Watts, less far away (although never the same thing) from Jazz, and less of a sell out than r&r. Watts was clever enough to understand that it was too tough for him to be part of the jazz scene, so to join an r&b cover band, and then stick with them when they went for a r&r sound just for the money and connections, was a better idea than stick as a Jazz purist, and then later, in his 40's, start with some serious Jazz projects.

Now he is just telling (and its not the first time) that Rock music is not really his thing, and that while Lennon, Dylan, McCartney, and fellow Stones, saw Elvis Presley as the road to follow, that while many bands in the 60's, saw in the Beatles the "How to do it of rock", he never really gave a... I mean care for them, as in his mind and heart, his idols where Miles Davis and Charlie Parker. Now for ** sake!!! that is not offending Elvis or the Beatles in anyway.

That easy!!! WHY SOME PEOPLE HERE IS SO CHILDISH ABOUT IT. Quit with that Presley fundamentalism. (Not referring to you KMP in that last bit of desperation :blush:) That attitude really does not benefit Elvis legacy in anyway, and then they wonder why people make fun of Elvis fans? some of them act like freaks at the minimum hint of, I don't like Elvis, and start bashing on whoever say it, with no understanding at all.

KPM
02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
You will never hear anything close to Jazz in Stones early music cause they have never played it, neither been influenced by Jazz. (Latter on in the late 70's there is one appearance of the great Sonny Rollings with them, and some nice Jazzy bits on one of Keiths themes in Bridges to Babylon, but that has nothing to do with the topic))

They, as I said, started out as a blues and & r&b combo, which was, for an aspiring Jazz drummer as Watts, less far away (although never the same thing) from Jazz, and less of a sell out than r&r. Watts was clever enough to understand that it was too tough for him to be part of the jazz scene, so to join an r&b cover band, and then stick with them when they went for a r&r sound just for the money and connections, was a better idea than stick as a Jazz purist, and then later, in his 40's, start with some serious Jazz projects.

Now he is just telling (and its not the first time) that Rock music is not really his thing, and that while Lennon, Dylan, McCartney, and fellow Stones, saw Elvis Presley as the road to follow, that while many bands in the 60's, saw in the Beatles the "How to do it of rock", he never really gave a... I mean care for them, as in his mind and heart, his idols where Miles Davis and Charlie Parker. Now for ** sake!!! that is not offending Elvis or the Beatles in anyway.

Perhaps the way Watts worded his statement-fairly harsh had something to do with the feelings of some.
"...And I've always hated Elvis. He was the last one I wanted to use as a guide. Miles Davis and Fats Domino, yes, but Elvis, no."

That easy!!! WHY SOME PEOPLE HERE IS SO CHILDISH ABOUT IT. Quit with that Presley fundamentalism. (Not referring to you KMP in that last bit of desperation :blush:) That attitude really does not benefit Elvis legacy in anyway, and then they wonder why people make fun of Elvis fans? some of them act like freaks at the minimum hint of, I don't like Elvis, and start bashing on whoever say it, with no understanding at all.

Perhaps the way Watts worded his statement-fairly harsh- had something to do with the feelings of some.
"...And I've always hated Elvis. He was the last one I wanted to use as a guide. Miles Davis and Fats Domino, yes, but Elvis, no."
Its one thing to not like someone-but these words (even to me) show more than dislike-it seems to border on disrespect.....IE Miles Davis-Fats Domino contributors of good music-Elvis non contributor to good music.
The word HATE will always draw strong similar responses to a topic-perhaps a little more thought and tact could have got across the same thought without the total negative shadow on Elvis and his controbutions to the world.
I do not particularly like most jazz-but Miles Davis was born here in Alton Illinois-I respect his talent and his accomplishments even though I do not care for his music........IE- I do not hate him, nor jazz its just not my cup of tea.

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I sometimes believe that Elvis suffers because his earlier body of work is so revered, yet so many miles away from where he ended up? Is Elvis being judged critically by fellow artists for becoming his own Vegas impersonator!

KPM
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I sometimes believe that Elvis suffers because his earlier body of work is so revered, yet so many miles away from where he ended up? Is Elvis being judged critically by fellow artists for becoming his own Vegas impersonator!
I think you may have something-and it ties into how Elvis seems judged by many for the last 3-4 years of his life.
Its almost like he is being punished because he did not live up to the ideas of where his career and life should have gone in their minds.
The Vegas..... "tire around his historic neck" image seems to never bring to mind with others the thin as a rail, handsome, charismatic, athletic vocal giant of 1969-1971....... instead it always seems to conjour up the 1974-77 Elvis who is battling weight, health, and his own demons

TTWII2001
02-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Coming from a puppet drummer like him...it's no big deal......his boss Mick loves the king....and most of the rockstar of that era were all inspire by the king.....so eat your sticks..charlie!

T_J
02-08-2010, 03:05 AM
The Stones are a brilliant band. They are right up there as one of the best things to come out of the 60s. Charlie himself though is an exceptionally dull man and it's no suprise that he wouldn't feel an affinity with Elvis. It also doesn't really matter a jot. :)

elvisism
02-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Ronnie Tutt is an absolute legend and I totally agree

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
This is totally ludicrious! First of all there used to be an online interview with Charlie Watts called The Drinking Man's Rolling Stone from a 1973 magazine called,Zig Zag in which he said The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were friends and a lot alike as people. He also said what made The Beatles so great was they made 1 great album and great single after the next!He didn't say anything about Elvis or liing him in this interview though.:supriced::huh::mad:(n)

The Rolling Stones were good friends with and fans of The Beatles and Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with him. Mick Jagger also went up on the train with them to Bangor in August 1967 to study meditation with the Maharishi for the first time and he was with them there when they got the call their manager Brian Epstein was found dead.

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
As The Rolling Stone Album Guide said,not liking The Beatles is as perverse as not liking the sun. And Ozzy Osbourne said not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxogen. And a guy who runs Keno's Classic Rock n Roll Site and who runs a Rolling Stones and John Lennon fan site says in his review of The Beatles 1967-1970 Red Album **** The Beatles were one great group and he said in his great review of The Beatles 1962-1966 Red album, that if you don't love or at least like The Beatles and their music then you are not a true rock fan and more than likely will never ever get it.

He also says that John Lennon showed on Paul's rocker Get Back why he should have played lead guitar more often because he did such a good job of it. He also said he played a pretty good slide guitar on George's For Your Blue and he said John also played one of the first and best acid guitar parts on his great rocker Revolution.

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Not only did The Beatles give The Rolling Stones one of their first hits with their rock n roll song I Wanna Be Your Man in late 1963,and they wrote it right in front of them and Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were impressed and like wow how can you write a song just like that and it motivated them to start writing their own songs.

And as I already said The Rolling Stones were good friends with and fans of The Beatles.

Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with him.Also Mick Jagger was such a big Beatles fan that in May 1967 when The Beatles were redording their song Baby You're A Rich Man he came there and stood on the sidelines to watch and listen to them recording it. His name is also on the tape box and he likely sang at the end verses.

Also Mick Jagger said that Keith Richards loved The Beatles and loved their beautiful melodies and harmonies and that Keith and Brian Jones tried to equal them but he said Brian couldn't sing good enough!Charlie is obviously envious with sour grapes,The Beatles remastered albums sold much more 40 years after their break up than The Rolling Stones remastered albums and they are still together! The Beatles have the best selling album of the last decade with their CD 1.

And Brian Jones played the saxaphone on the strange Beatles song, You Know My Name Look Up The Number and he and Mick Jagger's girlfriend at the time Marriane Faithful contributed sound effects on the song Yellow Submarine.

As this guy Sal66 who has also posted on sites debunking ignorant cr*p about The Beatles has rightfully pointed out, The Beatles wrote,played and recorded I Feel Fine (which The All Music Guide says has brilliant,active ,difficult guitar leads and riffs) in the Fall of 1964 which was the first use of feedback guitar on a pop rock record and it also had a prominent guitar riff throughout this very good song almost a year *before* The Rolling Stones's Satisfaction came out.

And on John's great Norwegian Wood recorded in the Fall of 1965,George Harrison was the first to play a sitar on a pop rock song and it was released on their great album Rubber Soul in December and then in May 1966 The Rolling Stones song Paint It Black came out with Brian Jones playing a sitar!

And in Paul McCartney's authorized biography Many Years From Now, Mick Jagger's former girlfriend singer Marriane Faithful says that she and Mick used to go over to Paul's house a lot and hang out in his music room. She said he never went to see them at their house they always went to visit him because he was Paul McCartney.She also said that Mick was intimidated by Paul but that Paul was totally oblivious to this.

Paul also says in this book that he turned Mick on to pot in his music room and he said which is funny because a lot of people would assume it was the other way around.

The Beatles revolutionized popular and rock music,and were very innovative,creative & prolific and no other group was as much as The Beatles were,and their songs the most covered in music historty by ev are the most covered of all time with everyone from jazz,classical,Motown,rock,and even heavy metal recording and playing their great timeless music.

Many academic musicologists and music scholars have done serious studies and analyses and praise of their music,like university of Penn graduate AlanW.Pollack who did an 11 year detailed analyses of every musicologists like university of Michigan music professor and musician Walter Everett who wrote the 2 volume,THe Beatles As Musicians:Th Quarry Men Though Rubber Soul, and The Beatles As Musicians:REvolver Through Anthology.And British musicologist,classical composer and music professor Willifrid Mellers 1973 book,Twilight Of The Gods;The Music Of The Beatles and he also wrote about Beethoven,Mozart and Bob Dylan.

And award winning music professors teaching college courses like award winning music professor and classical composer Dr.Glen Gass who has been teaching a course on what brilliant composers they were and a course on rock music since 1982 at Indiana University School of Music. Dr.Gary Kendal's Beatles course is the most requested North Western University,and Oxford University recently had a Beatles course so does The university of California etc. How many serious music scholars,musicologists and award winning music professors and composers are teaching college courses and writing serious academic works on how brilliant The Rolling Stones were?

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I recently got an email back from Tony Keys of a web site called,rocksbackpages and he said he does have a December 1973 ZigZag Charlie Watts interview. He said if I want it he would scan it and send it to me for 30$ British $. But I don't want to buy it I thought that they posted old rock interviews on their site for free.

Also,

on a fan site for the rock group Yes, called, Yesfans.com ( who are also big Beatles fans themselves and they recorded and played live several Beatles songs and member Rick Wakeman did a whole Beatles tribute album in 2000) they had a topic called Are The Beatles Overrated? from 2004-2008 and over 74% of the Yes fans voted the first choice, No Of Course Not They Were Not Overrated How Can You Even Ask This Question.

And one of the Yes fans posted in early 2008," The Greatest Band of all time overrated? Phuck no!"

And another Yes fan quoted him and said I second what he said! Another Yes fan quoted his own post from a year before when he had said he thought The Beatles were overrated and he now quoted his old post with an I'm stupid emoticon and he said how could I have been so stupid,of course The Beatles are not overrated.

Also, guitarist Frank Marino of the hard rock group Mahogany Rush said in several online interviews that he hates The Rolling Stones but he likes The Beatles,Jimi Hendrix,and The Doors etc. And Dave Navarro of the rock group Jane's Addiction said in Guitar World in 1991 and 1996 that he has always hated The Rolling Stones and he will never play one of their records.

And there are interviews through the years by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger speaking favorably about John Lennon in a Keith Richards interview in 1984,Mick Jagger in 1995 and he was in the 2005 John Lennon tribute book,Remebering John,and he and Keith Richards were also in Rolling Stones George Harrison tribute when he died.Also there are quite a few pictures including some I found online a few years ago of Mick Jagger with John Lennon in the 1970's,he's with John and his then girl friend May Pang in 1974,at a recording studio with John in 1973,and a picture of him sitting right behind John and Yoko at a circus and Yoko's holding their then almost 2 year old son Sean in 1977.And Paul and Linda were at Mick Jagger's wedding to Bianca in 1971.

John Lennon still was an Elvis fan right up until a few months before the crazy fan tragically killed him for no rational reason,he was still playing Elvis songs on his jukebox.

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
As The All Music Guide saysn their excellent Beatles biography "That it's difficult to summarize their career without restating cliches that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans, to start with the obvious,they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century."

"Moreover they were among the few artists of *any* discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did *and* the most popular at what they did." THey also say as singers John Lennon and Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive in rock.

Also on an excellent site,The Evolution of Rock Bass Playing McCartney Style by Dennnis Alstrand,Stanley Clarke,Sting,Will Lee,Billy Sheehan,George Martin and John Lennon are quoted saying what a great,melodic and influential bass player Paul has always been'

And Wilco's John Stirratt was asked in Bass Player which bass players have had the most impact on his playing and the first thing he said was, Paul McCartney is one of the greatest bass players of all time,if you listen to what he was tracking live in the studio it's unbelievable." "With his tone and musicality he was a huge influence,he covered all of his harmonic responsibilities really well but his baselines were absolutely melodic and inventive."

And in an online 1977 Eric Clapton interview,ERic Clapton In His Own Words he says that there was always this guitar game between John and George,and he said partly because John was a pretty good guitar player himself.He played live with John as a member of John's 1969 Plastic Ono Band.

And there is a great online article by musician and song writer Peter Cross,The Beatles Are The Most Creative Band Of All Time and he says that many musicians besides him recognize Paul as one of the best bass guitar players ever.He too says that John and Paul are the greatest song composers are among the 2 greatest singers in rock and that John,Paul and George were all excellent guitarists and that George is underrated by people not educated about music but that ERic Clapton knew better,he also says that both John and Paul played great leads as well as innovative rhythm tracks.

John Lennon co-wrote,sang and played guitar on one of David Bowie's first hits Fame in 1975.Brain May,Ozzy Osbourne,and Liam Gallagher and many more call The Beatles The Greatest Band Ever.

Also on MusicRadar Tom Petty,Joe Perry and Richie Sambora in What The Beatles Mean To Me all say how cool and great they thought The Beatles were when they first saw them on THe Ed Sullivan Show in Februar 1964 when they were just teen boys,Richie was only 5.Tom Petty said he thought they were really really great.

Robin Zander of Cheap Trick said he's probably one of the biggest Beatles fans on the planet.Brad Whitford of Aerosmith said that a lot of that Beatles influence comes from Steven Tyler's collaborartion with Mark Hudson both whom are absolute Beatles freaks and he said I guess the goal is to try and emulate probably some of the best music of the last 50 years which has to be The Beatles.

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
NME.COM
HOME
NME News

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship

Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

May 16, 2007

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.

Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

"George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?" he asked.

Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: "If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody."

Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumours of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, "They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."

Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: "I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so **** effortless.

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd say that Bob Dylan's praise means a h*ll of a lot more than drummer Charlie Watts any day!

lucyinthesky
02-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Also, classical composer Leonard Bernstein called John and Paul the greatest composers of the 20th century so did Elton John on a 1991 CBS Morning news show,he was asked who he musically admires and he said you can talk about your Rogers and Hammerstein but for the quanity of quality songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote in that short period of time,he said he thinks they were the greatest song writers of the 20th century.Brian Wilson said this too on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show. The Beatles are in the Vocal Hall of Fame and The Song Writing Hall of Fame and they were awarded about 20 prestigious Ivor Nevello awards as great singers and song writers in just a remarkable 8 year recording career,John and Paul won the first one in early 1964!

KPM
02-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Also, classical composer Leonard Bernstein called John and Paul the greatest composers of the 20th century so did Elton John on a 1991 CBS Morning news show,he was asked who he musically admires and he said you can talk about your Rogers and Hammerstein but for the quanity of quality songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote in that short period of time,he said he thinks they were the greatest song writers of the 20th century.Brian Wilson said this too on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show. The Beatles are in the Vocal Hall of Fame and The Song Writing Hall of Fame and they were awarded about 20 prestigious Ivor Nevello awards as great singers and song writers in just a remarkable 8 year recording career,John and Paul won the first one in early 1964!
Lets also not forget that Bernstein Called Elvis Presley "the greatest cultural force in the 20th century."
And Dylan had this to say,
‘When I first heard Elvis’ voice I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss... Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail’: Bob Dylan.

Dylan also began to come clean, at the end of the 1960s, in acknowledging the special place Elvis Presley occupies in his canon of influences. First, when Rolling Stone asked whether there were any particular artists he liked to have record his songs, he replied,
‘Yeah, Elvis Presley. I liked Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley recorded a song of mine. That’s the one recording I treasure the most… it was called “TOMORROW IS A LONG TIME”.’

Raised on Rock
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Perhaps the way Watts worded his statement-fairly harsh- had something to do with the feelings of some.
Its one thing to not like someone-but these words (even to me) show more than dislike-it seems to border on disrespect.....IE Miles Davis-Fats Domino contributors of good music-Elvis non contributor to good music.
The word HATE will always draw strong similar responses to a topic-perhaps a little more thought and tact could have got across the same thought without the total negative shadow on Elvis and his controbutions to the world.
I do not particularly like most jazz-but Miles Davis was born here in Alton Illinois-I respect his talent and his accomplishments even though I do not care for his music........IE- I do not hate him, nor jazz its just not my cup of tea.

Yes I know and do agree with you that the way he said that, sounds kind of harsh, and deprecative. An so that might cause some bad reactions among Elvis fans.

Yet, if you are familiar with Charlie Watts (I am a big Stones fan) you will know that it is only the character he likes to play. Just the tired grumpy old man he likes to play since he was 21 in a humorous way . He talks in that same deprecative way even about his own pals Jagger and Richards, and about so many milestones in The Rolling Stones career. So there is actually no bad intention neither there is something personal, he's just being Charlie Watts.

An even if he was being mean spirited, (which he is not) there are ways to behave, and yet, the reactions that some fans expressed in this thread are childish and of no taste, and you know it. And that does not speak good of Elvis world.

rickb
02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
maybe Ishould point out that Charlieis not as good a dummer as RonnieTutt!

lucyinthesky
02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes I know and do agree with you that the way he said that, sounds kind of harsh, and deprecative. An so that might cause some bad reactions among Elvis fans.

Yet, if you are familiar with Charlie Watts (I am a big Stones fan) you will know that it is only the character he likes to play. Just the tired grumpy old man he likes to play since he was 21 in a humorous way . He talks in that same deprecative way even about his own pals Jagger and Richards, and about so many milestones in The Rolling Stones career. So there is actually no bad intention neither there is something personal, he's just being Charlie Watts.

An even if he was being mean spirited, (which he is not) there are ways to behave, and yet, the reactions that some fans expressed in this thread are childish and of no taste, and you know it. And that does not speak good of Elvis world.

No, I'd say that it's Charlie Watts's jealous sour grapes that is what's really childish!

lucyinthesky
02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Also Mick Jagger is quoted on a Rolling Stones fan site,timeisonourside.com saying that Keith Richards liked The Beatles because he was quite interested in their chord sequences and he says he also liked their harmonies which he said were always a slight problem for The Rolling Stones.He said Keith always tried to get the harmonies off the ground but they always seemed messy.Mick then says,that what they never really got together were Keith and Brian singing backup vocals
and he said it didn't work because Keith was a better singer and to keep going,oooh,ooh,ooh(he laughs) and he said Brian liked all of those oohs which Keith had to put up with.He also said Keith was capable of much stronger vocals than ooh,ooh,ooh.

On this same fan site Keith Richards is quoted from 1971 saying that The Beatles were perfect for opening doors,when they went to America they left it wide open for them and he said that The Rolling Stones could never have gone to America without them.He also said that The Beatles are so f*cking good at what they did.

Charlie is obviously envious with sour grapes,The Beatles remastered albums sold much more 40 years after their break up than The Rolling Stones remastered albums and they are still together! The Beatles have the best selling album of the last decade with their CD 1.

lucyinthesky
02-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Also in an excellent Beatles book Ticket To Ride by Denny Somach where so many other well known popular respected rock musicians and artists are interviewed about The Beatles praising them including Jimmy Page,Brian Wilson who says he's always loved The Beatles. And Brian Wilson called John & Paul the greatest song writers of the 20th century on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show,(which had on music artists from every type of music,a young black jazz musician,a middle aged black opera singer,Steve Winwood,Meatloaf,and classical violnist Isak Perleman,who said he plays his children Bach,Beethoven Mozart and The Beatles)and he played With A Little Help From My Friends on the piano and he said he just loves this song. He also said that Sgt.Pepper is the greatest album he ever heard and The All Music Guide says in their Beach Boys biography,that Brian had a nerveous breakdown after he heard it. Brian also said that when he first heard The Beatles brilliant 1965 folk rock album Rubber Soul he was blown away by it.He said all of the songs flowed together and it was pop music but folk rock at the same time and he couldn't believe they did this so great,this inspired him to make Pet Sounds.

John Lodge and Justin of The Moody Blues are interviewed in this book and Bill Wyman and Ron Wood says how The Rolling Stones became good friends with The Beatles in 1963 after John and Paul wrote 1 of their first hits,the Rock n Roll song,I Wanna Be You're Man.

Ron Wood was asked what his favorite Beatles songs and he said there are so many apart from the obvious like Strawberry Fields I Want To Hold Your Hand is one he said he used to like a lot ,and he said he really loved We Can Work It Out.He also says that The Beatles used to have a radio show every Friday where they played live and spoke and he would never miss an episode. He said infact whoever has the rights to those shows should dig them up,because they are incredible.

Justin Hayward says that the album he always really loved ,and he said it was when they started experimenting with chord structures ,was A Hard Day's Night.He says they began to move away from the standard 3 chord thing and just went into more interesting structures .He said A Hard Day's Night was the album for him and their song If I Fell was the song.He said it started in a different key to how it ended up,and it's a beautifully worked out song and that there are some songs on that album that were very emotinal and evocative. He said that for everybody just starting to weite songs as he was,it was a real turn on and eye opener.

lucyinthesky
02-12-2010, 09:20 AM
And George Martin himself said in an online interview I found around 2002 said that he has worked with many different music artists but that he has never known or worked with anyone as brilliant as The Beatles!

He says in his biography All You Need Is Ears refutes that he was the one who had most to do with The Beatles music. He admits most of the ideas came from them.

And if anyone ever reads the excellent book,The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn which is a very detailed music diary of of every recording session in their amazing only 8 year career, which has interviews with their recording engineers,tape operators,George Martin quotes,and a very good interview with Paul in the beginning,they would see how truly creative,and innovative especially John and Paul were in the recording studio and that most of these great musicial ideas came from them.

George Martin was also once inerviewed on a rock station Beatles program and he said what is clearly obvious and true, John Lennon and Paul McCartney were incredibly talented people(and he said it like he still couldn't belive it.), they both were extrodinarily talented song composers and great singers.And notice how Ringo working with George Martin for 8 years didn't turn him into a brilliant song writer like John and Paul,and George Martin has produced many other music artists but non of them have had as much critical acclaim,success or popularity as THe Beatles!

Raised on Rock
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Just like to thank Lucy in the Sky for taking the time to show us, to prove us, how a jolly good band the Beatles were.

Teddy
02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
The Beatles and The Stones were completely brilliant and consciously indebted to Elvis.
Both acts have been outspoken in their love for him, irrespective of Charlie Watts' harmless and intentionally ironic quip here.
I'd hate for Elvis fans to get the wrong impression about this.

Raised on Rock
02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
The Beatles and The Stones were completely brilliant and consciously indebted to Elvis.
Both acts have been outspoken in their love for him, irrespective of Charlie Watts' harmless and intentionally ironic quip here.
I'd hate for Elvis fans to get the wrong impression about this.

A great post over here.

THIS IS TCB WORLD :notworthy

P.S. Love the renewed site.