PDA

View Full Version : ELVIS75:GOOD ROCKIN TONIGHT 4-CD REVIEW

my boy
01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
The Elvis75: Good Rockin’ Tonight 4-CD box set really is a cracker! Many will say oh no, not another compilation, but this box is the ultimate greatest hits and more. If you only buy one collection get this one. Like top shelf cognac the package is quality with the music offering a huge buffet of treats for the listener. Also the sound is phenomenal and SONY should be congratulated on their efforts.

One hundred tracks all wonderfully remastered – “Good Rockin Tonight’ & “Baby Let’s Play House” are early rocking highlights but especially the double bass on the 1956 classic – “Heartbreak Hotel” which has never sounded so good, almost like Bill Black’s in the room with you!

On disc 2 “Hard Headed Women” rocks hard with nuggets “Trouble” and “King Creole” all sounding superb. “A Big Hunk O’ Love’s” pumping piano sounds awesome here. In fact, all instruments have never sounded so good – piano’s thump, sax’s honk, guitars shine and the bass throbs – all capped with Elvis’s wonderful voice throughout. In particular, “Reconsider Baby” with it fantastic sax break sounds just brilliant, clean and defined it’s a real standout of the collection and I’ve never heard it sounding as good – total blues heaven!

Disc 3 and 22 more superb tracks – Adam & Evil was a strange inclusion touted by many, but here it sounds great with superb backing vocals. All the songs really do shine with the new mastering. More cases in point: “I washed My Hands In muddy Waters,” Aloha’s “Steamroller Blues”, “Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues “ – and a stunning “Promised Land” – this fantastic track just “smokes” with James Burton’s guitar well to the fore – all topped with the King’s awesome vocal – this must be played loud, and although it’s a Chuck Berry original, Elvis’s version must be the definitive version.

Furthermore if that’s not enough, the barrelhouse rocker TR.O.U.B.L.E is up next and is a real rollicking highlight of the Kings 1970s output. Additionally the great booklet is filled with rare pics and there’s even Elvis Jaycee’s award speech which adds weight to the whole set.

Finally this really is one of the best Elvis box sets available and highly recommended to Elvis fans – pure Elvis gold. Also if your after a budget version the 3-CD version is great value with a selection of different cuts. ELVIS75 4-CD is maximum Elvis all the way and a complete rock ‘n’ roll fan’s dream.

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
I've got it..........really just to add another sale, try to get it up the charts!!!!!

Havn't played it yet

my boy
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
I've got it..........really just to add another sale, try to get it up the charts!!!!!

Havn't played it yet
It really is superb with many nuances previously unheard.

Cheers

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
...........and a very kind friend bought me the 3x disc version, which I have played!!!!!

my boy
01-31-2010, 03:20 PM
...........and a very kind friend bought me the 3x disc version, which I have played!!!!!

I've got that too – awesome!

debtdbruno
01-31-2010, 03:24 PM
yes it's great.

My bone, if I had to pick one..........is that all the 'compilation' releases (which I assume are meant for the general public rather than die hard fans), they put the same songs on time and time again.
Wouldn't it be a great way to get new fans by putting lesser known tracks on these releases, so people would say, 'Wow, I didn't know he sang this, fantastic'........you know???

my boy
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
yes it's great.

My bone, if I had to pick one..........is that all the 'compilation' releases (which I assume are meant for the general public rather than die hard fans), they put the same songs on time and time again.
Wouldn't it be a great way to get new fans by putting lesser known tracks on these releases, so people would say, 'Wow, I didn't know he sang this, fantastic'........you know???

Yes, there's so many songs they could us on a comp and I always hope they could do it on a release. Here's a few I'd like to see:

WE CAN MAKE THE MORNING
HEART OF ROME
LONG BLACK LIMOUSINE
LOVE ME, LOVE THE LIFE I LEAD
PLEDGING MY LOVE
FIND OUR WHAT'S HAPPENING
RAISED ON ROCK
IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
I GOTTA KNOW
I CAN HELP
PIECES OF MY LIFE
MY BABE
WHAT I'D SAY
YOU'RE THE BOSS
IF YOU DON'T COME BACK

debtdbruno
02-01-2010, 02:11 PM
add 'Hi Heel Sneakers' and I'll go all the way with your list.
Great to see 'My Babe' included too(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Excellent review my boy!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Nigel_EIN
02-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi guys

EIN has a detailed review here:

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_elvis75.htm

Nigel
EIN