PDA

View Full Version : Silver More Precious Than Platinum?

Lonniebealestreet
04-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Which is better, or which is your favorite--however you wish to respond.

I just got the Silver Box a few days ago (!) and I am totally into that set! I have held Platinum in the highest esteem since it came out, but this new one of mine I think I like as much, if not more. So right now they are basically equal in my mind, therefore I won't cast my vote at this time. But I'm curious how the rest of you rank them.

Platinum has so many goodies, or "gems"--certainly much more than Today, Tomorrow And Forever and Close Up can boast. But the Silver Box, especially at the time of its original release in 1980, I think wins out in that department. I had always known what was on that set, and I'd heard most of its contents, but I guess the things that are new to me and the presentation of the whole thing have really won me over.

So all things considered, which is your fave of the two? And if your favorite box set is one other than those, feel free to name it.

Thanks for playing. ;)

Jungleroom76
04-27-2004, 10:25 PM
TOUGH CALL BOBBY!!! :blink:

In my opinion, you have to look at each box set separately really. I don't know if you can honestly compare the two of them, because they are both so different.

Yes, they both contain previously unreleased material, so in that aspect, they are the same. But while PLATINUM is designed to be an overview of Elvis' career from beginning to end, the EAP SILVER BOX SET is set up to look at more defined or specific periods or highpoints of Elvis' career, without looking at every single period of his career, like PLATINUM does.

I think they are both excellent box sets in their own right....hard to make a choice as to which one is the better set!! :bash:

GREAT QUESTION!! I'll be anxious to see what others have to say!
TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
04-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Best invention since that of woman--oh boy! :clap:

I hear what you're saying, Ron. The list of highlights on that set is pretty long.

I don't think I have ever heard the song Fool in that form before. Sounds like it is more extensively overdubbed. I do like it like that; it's very pretty. Is that the way the single originally sounded? If I've heard it on any other release sounding that same way, I sure don't remember it.

Regarding the cover art, one positive thing about its plainness is that it will never look dated!

Elena/The Russian EP Fan Club
04-28-2004, 08:00 AM
oh what a question :blink: Don't be so cruel :cry: I love all Elvis' boxes and albums and songs and movies................
Anyway I voted ;)

Elena

Sonny
04-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I voted Platinum, since it features so many great alternate recordings!

But I remember going crazy over the LP box release Elvis Aron Presley in 1981 (was that the year?).

Since then it still is one of my favorites...

It has the great 1961 Hawaii show and some very nice alternates: the laughing Datin' rehearsal, the Are You Lonesome Tonight laughing version, a great Polk Salad Annie and many more...

They shouldn't have released those 77, 73 and 68 tracks as part of this box, since they were already released at the time.

Sonny

P.S. Annie
04-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Not so long ago I received both sets, but I haven't got the time to really listen to them :oops: There are some free days comming up so I hope to vote soon :D

NightRider
04-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Great question (y)

Very hard to choose between them as they are both oustanding boxsets :blink:

When the Silver box set came out i remember rushing home having spent a fair amount of cash on the EIGHT Lp set at the time. I couldn't wait to get the Lp's onto the record deck :D

The highlight for me was without doubt Record Seven and eight ( if memory serves me correctly...huh...its years since i had this on LP :oops: )

Elvis In Concert '75. Blew me away at the time. (y) (y)

I had only been a fan for five or so years and hadn't heard that much Live stuff...hey...I was young and times were hard :whistling: My Lp Collection was probably around the twenty or so mark then :oops: My...how times change (y)

So i was going to opt for that. But looking at the Platinum set again changed my mind.

There are oh so many absolute gems on Platinum...I had to vote for that. Still remains one of the very best Elvis releases in my mind. (y)

Discs three and four are always on my cd player. The version of Sound Of Your Cry has to rank in my all time elvis favourites. It is AWESOME (y)

Then you have alternates of Burning love, Separate Ways, Promised Land, Hurt.......i could go on. ( But lucky for you lot i won't ;)

Anyhow, to some up.....

The Silver Box set was fantastic...( Silver...maybe Gold ) The Platinum is just that....Platinum (y)

jbgude
04-29-2004, 12:08 PM
For me it is Platinum - for the sheer range: and esp. "Blowin in the wind"........The Silver Box is good - I remember I spent an arm ,a leg and other parts of me -which I have still not recovered from. Man it was the most expensive piece of Vinyl I ever bought bar none- gave loads of pleasure, but the range was limited, I still cannot understand how Joan D. assembled that track list, considering the amount of tapes that were availble to her.(Or were they still undiscovered ?)

jb

Lonniebealestreet
04-29-2004, 07:29 PM
I am not associated with this at all, so don't think I am plugging my goods on eBay here, but anyone who doesn't have Platinum, you won't find a better deal than this: Platinum on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4010305416&category=307&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1) $24.99 Buy It Now option for a sealed set! If there's a catch to this, I haven't spotted it.

sam
05-16-2004, 10:35 PM
EAP silver has always been a favourite of mine. I would have to pick it over Platinum. :D

(y)

Albert
05-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Voted for Platinum :D

A few years back I would have voted for the Silver Box because of the 1975 show on disc 4. But now we have it in better sound on various import labels.

The 'flow' of Platinum is better (in my opinion) and I like the setlist more than that one of the Silver Box. But hey, love the both though :D

JerryNodak
09-16-2008, 05:45 AM
I'd have voted for Patinum if it didn't contain those home recordings in dreadful sound quality. Those things ruin the set for me.

Lonniebealestreet
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Whoa! Jerry, you win the Old Thread Revival of the Week award. A TCB ring is on its way to you. ;)

I ended up finding a very nice vinyl set of the Silver Box (EAP) within a month or so of getting that CD set, which was sealed. I really haven't played either of those or Platinum in some time, which is a crying shame, really. May have to do something about that tonight. Oh yeah, still no power at home. Nevermind.

Unchained Melody
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Both are must haves and essential for any fans collection.