PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a fan

david72
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
How did you become a fan of elvis? Here is my story I was 13 and i listened to the current stuff that other kids my age listened to then I heard the song If I can dream and ever since I have been a huge elvis fan!!!!! Elvis will always be number 1!!!!!

Nicole Presley
01-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I´ve watched "Elvis - That´s the way it is" (Special edition) when I was 12. And since the song "You´ve lost that lovin´ feelin´" I´m a fan. :-)

elvislina
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
David lol I was in the same age like you when I was a fan to Elvis for the first time.
or maybe 10. can´t remember. but allthing started when I was home with my sister when she should start to cock some dinner and then she coming in to the living room and take on Elvis cd and since that day I like him and then when I come home I seen him on my tv all his movies come every saturday and when I was in the shop I seen a cd with the most handsome pic of Elvis ever. that pic is my avatar some I have here.
since that I have love him for many years. but now I am more busy person and listen to his songs sometimes. I´m not so crazy in him so much anymore . was most when I hear him and seen him for the first time in my life when I was 13.
Thanx for this Thread

Dany
01-17-2010, 02:46 PM
I began love Elvis when I had 13 years ago. I watch one Elvis movie and feel in love a first time.

kathy parkinson
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Been a fan since 56, still a big fan.

john carpenter
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I became a fan on that fateful day August 16.1977. My Mother was on the phone around 3:30/4:00pm & was talking to her cousin, I heard her say "did you hear Elvis died"? I switched on the television (i just got home from school) The News was reporting his death. I watched every news broadcast that day, and listened to "My Way" & other songs that week, been a fan ever since:king:

The Everlasting Gaze
01-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I became a fan when i was around 9 or 10. My aunt played the Moody Blue Lp.
After hearing that lp i was instantly hooked.

Ronn
01-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I became a fan when I was about 7 or 8 (1977 or 78), when I first saw him on TV. I figured it was probably '77 because they were showing his movies weekly. Elvis was my first idea of a handsome man. And then I got one tape (no CDs then) and then another and became a fan since.

TTWII2001
01-18-2010, 04:38 AM
I was 8 years old in 1970, and I heard Polk Salad Annie...from August 1970...wow ever since then I'm a fan...so it's been a long run...now I'm a married man..with 8 kids...and believe it or not there from 25 to 4 years old and they all love and regnize every song from our King...

Teddybear
01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I have Been A Fan Since 1956...Elvis Will Always Be #1

Sheila
01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
My parents grewup from the fifties and I have heard stories about everything, They mentioned how big Elvis was in the 50's. Saw a few 45's they had and found some Elvis' 45's took them and that's when my collection started at 9 years old!

rogerM
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
In 1979 they showed the Comeback Special on Norwegian TV. I was only 6 years old, but I got hooked right away. The first records I got was "Let`s Be Friends", "How Great Thou Art" and "Elvis Forever vol.1". Since then I have been to Graceland 4 times, last time with my wife (who is not a fan:no:). My son (9 years old) want to see Graceland, so maybe next time..

Tommy
01-18-2010, 02:22 PM
I have been a fan since the beginning, and I saw Elvis on the Dorsey Show. I knew something big was happening with this man, I knew then he would never die, his voice and his moves, were something that no one had never witnessed before and never again till this day, there will never be another Elvis Presley. The man, the music, and of course his looks for the girls, and that cool way he had about him.

Erhan
01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I was Sinatra fan it was 1976 or 1977 before Elvis passed away I exchanged my Frank Sinatra My Way LP with 2 Elvis LP (On Stage, And Love Letters from ELVIS)
after lazy sinatra's performance I was very impressed ELVIS's powerfull performance.(huge contrast)
I love walk a mile in my shoes, Polk Salad Annie,Runaway,the wonder of you
PS:Thanks God I didn't know Sinatra's old good jazz tunes All I knew My Way LP about Sinatra I was 12 years old.

rickb
01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
In 1972-73 my best school friends were fans and they took me to the drive-in to watch TTWII. Polk Salad Annie did the trick.

PaulV.
01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
I was coming back from summer school and my older brother & my parents were listening to the radio about the death of Elvis,,it was August 16th 1977,,I was in shock, I did not know who he was but it was all over radio,,every channels and same for television. It really kind of trigered my curiosity and as soon as I saw the commercials on TV about a 5 lp set I asked my mom if she could buy it for me and that was the beginning of a lifelong thing!

Teddy
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I became obsessed with popular music as a child and the path led swiftly to his door.

See See Rider
01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Since the first time I saw him live in 1970

shelley.m.
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Like john carpenter,I became a fan on Aug 16 1977 too.

N777
01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Watching his movies.Then the Aloha concert.He was and still incredible(y)

TCBGIRL

monk37
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
My Mom listened to country (40's to 60's) and my Dad listened to 60's folk

I didn't really understand time when I was a kid and had no clue that this wasn't current music or that people didn't listen to all genres from all times of music.

When I was 6, my first love was Hank Williams, then, I discovered that not only was he dead, but had been for decades before I was born.

My Dad's sister and brother were both Elvis fans, so I probably heard Elvis there

by the time I was 7, I was an Elvis fan, he was the first grown up music I bought.

then, when I was 9, he died on me

but I never gave up on him

and, I still love Hank, but he's not my #1 love

jadedragon61
01-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I've wondered about this question to myself. I think I was about ten. I had seen Lovin' You on TV, and thought, WOW.

TTWII2001
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I Think that the live performances...attract so many peoples...who could stay cold to a live version of Suspicious Mind, Polk Salad Annie, Bridge over troubled Water...etc. etc.,so it's no surprise to find out that a lot of peoples start there Elvis crusade in the '70's.....

Thanks for reading me..........

Elizasong
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Summer 1981 I watched the Elvis movie starring Kurt Russell. The very next day I went to the library and took out every Elvis record they and played them all the rest of the summer. I was hooked and it's been that way ever since.

Elizasong
01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Summer 1981 I watched the Elvis movie starring Kurt Russell. The very next day I went to the library and took out every Elvis record they had and played them all the rest of the summer. I was hooked and it's been that way ever since.

elvisia
01-21-2010, 07:20 PM
How did you become a fan of elvis? Here is my story I was 13 and i listened to the current stuff that other kids my age listened to then I heard the song If I can dream and ever since I have been a huge elvis fan!!!!! Elvis will always be number 1!!!!!

Hi David, "If I can dream" did it to/for me too about 5˝ years ago. I`m much older than you(I`m a 48 old lady by now:D), but we share the same song beeing the "One"..Isn`t it just wonderful how Elvis music don`t care about age:) Elvis for everyone

Kajo
07-12-2011, 03:37 AM
I became a fan when I was 7 years old. Roustabout was on tv. I immediately fell in love with his beautiful voice, cool image and looks. He was really cool. Soon after I went nuts about his music and started buying his records. My father bought me a guitar and the rest is history. Elvis is the main reason I became a Opera singer and I'm very proud of that.

cibetty
07-12-2011, 04:04 AM
I heard about him first in 1992, at the age of 14 when I saw "This Is Elvis" documentary on TV. Then I got a music casette with his songs. I loved his voice, but I was not a big fan in that time. Later, in November 2006, I saw a TV commercial about his 4 CD collection and I ordered it from TV-Shop. It includes many of his songs from the 50s till the 70s, on 4 CDs. Then in 2007, in April I went for usual shopping to a supermaket, where I saw a DVD about Elvis, it was the "That's The Way It Is" DVD, the special edition. I was thinking if I should buy it, or not, maybe it is a good movie, maybe not... I found this title was really strange. Finally I bought it, and this movie made me a fan, I felt the songs what I heard on CD before suddenly became live before my eyes. His voice, his moves, his whole personality captured my heart. Later I started to collect his songs, his other DVDs and some books about him, I'm a huge fan since then.

Grumpy
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
A friend of mine let me borrow his big brother's latest album purchase. I listened to it, and thought it was ok. About a month later, I asked if I could borrow the LP with the guy wearing the red top against what I thought was a yellow or orange background. There was a song on it I could not get out of my head . . . it sounded like Johnny Ray. The song was "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" and the singer turned out to be Elvis Presley. I wasn't really hooked until another friend let me hear "Blue Hawaii" . . . . been a collector of his songs since then.

Shane Shepherd
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Listening to Elvis with my dad on Saturday nights when I was a teenager. On good nights, he'd let me have a drink of Crown with him. :)

nabelt24
07-13-2011, 10:30 PM
I was 6 years old when I heard my first Elvis record. It was my Dad's 45 of Blue Suede Shoes/I'll Never Let You Go (Little Darlin')/I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)/I'm Counting On You... I listened to it over and over again on my Fisher Price record player. My Grandma Belt was also a die-hard Elvis fan and still owns a huge record collection. I've gone through it over and over again and grew up listening to it all.
He influenced my life and music in so many ways. The greatest artist of all time will forever be Elvis Presley. No one has touched so many lives as he has done. I see it every day.

CarolineLovesElvis
07-14-2011, 03:15 AM
My Mother was a Elvis Fan, and while Elvis was with us she went to Graceland twice. The first time was around the year of 1963 while on a family vacation while my Mother was four years old. When they got to the Graceland Gates her Father asked the guard at the guard shack if Elvis was home, and he was told that Elvis was in California but that they could drive up the driveway for a quick look at the Mansion. While up there in front of the Mansion they used their 8mm video camera, and that footage is about 20 seconds in length. I have that footage on a VHS Tape. In the year of 1976 when my Mother was 17 years old she visited Graceland for the second time, and she spent a few hours at the Graceland Gates one day with other fans, but they never saw Elvis. Sometime in 1977 Elvis was supposed to do a concert in Knoxville, TN and she and her Father wanted to go, but in the end they sadly did not purchase tickets. Sometime in the 1990's she lost interest in Elvis. My Mother passed away from cancer in 2001, and I found her Elvis Collection. Her Collection was mostly of magazines, newspaper clippings, and she of course had many of Elvis' albums. While growing up I always knew she liked Elvis, as she would still sometimes play Elvis' CD's but I never knew about her Elvis Collection. My first trip to Graceland was in 2002 on the anniversary of her passing, and since then I go to Graceland often. I attended my first Elvis Week in 2008 and this year will be my fourth time. In 2009 I attended the Elvis Birthday Celebration for the first time and I have see attended for the last two years.

Unchained Melody
07-14-2011, 12:41 PM
In 2001 I watched TTWII SE and i was 11 at the time, and from there out i was hooked.
Next months to follow bought my first cd's, which included aloha from hawaii, as recorded at madison sqaure garden..there was no looking back.