PDA

View Full Version : Remasters and the SUN SOUND ?

dennyelvis
01-14-2010, 05:24 AM
Although the new Elvis 75 3 + 4 cd versions sound really good i kinda miss all the echo that used to be on Heartbreak Hotel, also some of the ELVIS , SCOTTY , and BILL SUN recordings although really clean and hiss free, seem to lack a bit of the "life" they must have had when recorded http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/confused.gif
Whats ur personal feelings on messing with this unique SUN SOUND ? , should sony keep the new tech away from these, or try and get the 2010 sound quality ? http://elvis-tkc.com/forum2/style_emoticons/default/undecided.gif

waymore44
01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
The fact is, what we grew up hearing was actually manipulated. The Sun Records stuff had reverb added that we got used to hearing. Now that we are actually hearing what was on the real tape before RCA messed with it, sometimes it's odd. I understand what you are saying. However, what we are hearing now is actually what those Sun Records REALLY sounded like before RCA got them.

In addition a lot of the stuff in the 50's we grew up hearing reissues of on vinyl that were reprocessed which was basically just having the original track in one speaker and the other speaker being on a slight delay or having a reverb added...just something to make it different which gave the illusion of stereo.

Again, this is not how the stuff was intended to be heard.

-JD

Teddy
01-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Have they really done this on Elvis 75?! :doh:

Re-mastering is one thing, but remixing classic records, to the point where they no longer resemble the original artistic intentions of musicians and their producers alike, is a marketing exercise too far and a serious own-goal in the interest of preserving the greatness of pioneering music.

Releases of this nature are little more than a curiosity, with an entertainment value which rarely lasts beyond the duration of a single listen. They exist purely for the perverse enjoyment of 'revealing the wiring-under-the-boards' and it's negligible to suggest that they even have any informative merit from a historical perspective.

Sam Phillips' tape echo technique and the hallway reverb (which RCA painstakingly set up in an attempt to recreate it) for Heartbreak Hotel were not post-production afterthoughts- they were live recording techniques, occurring simultaneously to the performance and inherent in the original vision of the tracks.

Why can't industry lackeys resist ****ing with greatness just to make themselves feel 'creative'? :mad:

Tommy
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I like the old 45 rpm recordings, they sound different and better to me, even with the noise.

thunderball1963
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
the old sun records have the right sound all other releases on rca are new mixed by rca in the 50th. fact is the rca sun master are recorded by rca from the original sun master .

ForeverTheKing
01-14-2010, 01:39 PM
This is a shame 'cause I really like the Sun Sound and this is something really connected with those songs :'(

Sometimes they want to reach the PERFECTTION but they don't understand that sound made HISTORY (y)

Tommy
01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
I have all my old 45's all of Elvis's. I have not played them for a long time, one day I will. I have some of the 45's I recorded so I can hear them the way they were originally intended to be heard.

GIORGIA
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Well,I understand why sony did that,because would the best for Elvis(y)!But I agree with Ale,the original sound made history and it's real,genuine and free!