PDA

View Full Version : RCA Studio B Tour - Nashville, TN

waymore44
12-23-2009, 08:21 PM
This past Sunday I took the tour of the Country Music Hall Of Fame which I have done before a few times but they have different themes frequently. They have a Col Parker section right now that was interesting. It shows the robe that he wore that had all the Elvis movie, song, and album titles all over it. Pretty cool. I didn't realize that they were hand painted on there.

Anyway, after that I went on the RCA Studio B tour and it really hit me harder than the Sun Records tour. It is just amazing that so many great country and rock artists recorded their hits in that big room. Even more impressive is that Elvis recorded the majority of the body of his work in that room.

The piano that sits in the room is THE piano that Elvis pounded out "You'll Never Walk Alone" on. It's the piano that Floyd Cramer used on "It's Now Or Never"....David Briggs played "Love Letters" on.

On the tour they play a lot of music and the majority of it is Elvis. They told the story about how Elvis liked to change the lighting in the room to match the mood of the song and that on "Are You Lonesome Tonight" he asked to have the lights completely off.

They turned the lights ALMOST completely off and played "Are You Lonesome Tonight". I have to be honest here. Before I knew it, I was crying. I do not know why. I just felt something supernatural there that is hard to explain.

I asked the guide where Elvis would have been standing and it was almost exactly where I was standing. It gave me chills.

I don't know if any of you have heard the noise at the end of the song like somebody hits something or not. if you haven't, get out your CD of the tune and crank up the end. you will hear a noise. It is apparently Elvis hitting his head on the microphone.

If you are ever in Nashville you should really see studio B.

Jungleroom76
12-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you so much for the review of your tour Waymore!! I actually visited Studio B when I was in Nashville, but that was almost 20 years ago! It certainly was surreal though to be standing in the same studio where Elvis recorded so much great music!!! :king:

TCB!
Mike

debtdbruno
12-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I would love to go when I'm in Memphis in Jan.............it's so far to go in 1 day.
Going to Tupelo before all the Birthday celebrations get started.
Shame, that sounds great...........

Joy
12-24-2009, 06:36 PM
I was there in October . The Country Music Hall Of fame was very interesting, and so much to see. The RCA Studio B was spectacular, just as you explained it. Was a very moving experience.

Donut
12-25-2009, 05:21 AM
I was there a few years ago too. They still have the counter Elvis broke after kicking it in a moment of anger :lol:. I would also recommend to see both places (y)

Lonniebealestreet
12-25-2009, 05:34 AM
I had a similar experience as you did there, waymore. I had no idea the tour was going to focus on Elvis so much. They do a really nice job with the tours there and it is definitely moving.

Like with AYLT, I kept thinking about Elvis sitting at the piano by himself working with Felton that night in 1971 after everyone else had gone home, running through I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen, I'll Be There, and I Will Be True.

I certainly enjoyed the songs and vignettes about other legendary artists there as well. But for an Elvis fan, it's fantastic.

rogerM
12-26-2009, 03:47 AM
I was there 9 years ago but the doors was locked at the time. So I could not go inside. I took some pictures outside the building

merry77
12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
it is possible to do Nashville in one day. I did that too. And I even went to Franklin to see a historic house as well. I also walked to and around the Municipal auditorium where Elvis performed on July 1st 1973.
The backstage entrance is next to the fire door!

waymore44
12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
They talked about how that particular piano was Elvis's favorite piano in the entire world. It came from NY. He tried to buy it many times, but the studio wouldn't part with it. It is an amazing sounding piano. I thought about sitting down at it and playing it. If I had had time I swear I would have played and sang "How Great Thou Art" or "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the top of my lungs just to say I did it.

Oh well....maybe one day.