PDA

View Full Version : Tom Jones...

franny
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
This was on EIN...
franny

Keeping up with legendary entertainer Tom Jones: When Elvis is telling you one thing and Frank Sinatra is telling you another, it's hard to know who to listen to. But that's what it was like for a young Tom Jones when he first made it in the US.
In 1965, when British fever was in full swing, the Welsh singer had his first big hit with It's Not Unusual - it was No.1 in the UK and top 10 in the US.
Not long after, the former construction worker from Pontypridd got to meet his idols, whom he had watched on TV as a teenager.
He became good friends with Elvis, who took a keen interest in his work.
"I did an album of standards once," recalls Jones, "and (Elvis) said, 'We don't do that, Tom. We leave songs like that to Sinatra.'
"And I said, 'Well, OK, then.' And when I was talking to Frank Sinatra, he said, 'You could be a great jazz singer. You should do more big band stuff.'
"So Elvis was wanting me to be more rock 'n' roll and Frank was advising me to sing more swing stuff, but I said, 'I like it all'. "
His friendship continued until Presley's later years. Jones still has a recurring dream where he goes back in time to warn Elvis about his future.
"It was shocking," he says about Elvis's death. "I didn't realise he was that sick. I could see that he was getting heavy, and then he pushed away a lot of people so I couldn't get to talk to him for the last few years of his life because he wouldn't answer any of my calls any more."
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/tom_jones_elvis_presley2.jpegThe piece of advice Jones remembers Sinatra telling him is about his voice: "Frank Sinatra did tell me not to sing so hard all the time," he says. "He said because you lose your voice, you're going to blow it, you're forcing, so he said relax a little bit more, you've got plenty there, you've got plenty of volume. You don't have to prove it every song because you're going to hurt yourself."
But at 69 years of age, Jones's voice has not faded and Jones has never let his success get to his head, and remembering his working class roots is "very important".
"Maybe the most important," he says. "The early years of any child's life is so important and I was lucky to have a great childhood in Wales. I came from a big family of aunties and uncles and cousins, we all lived in the same town; it was a wonderful experience. I had a great start, and that's carried me through."
What did his coalminer father think of his singing son?
"We all sing in Wales, so he knew, but he didn't know I was going to be so successful, so he was knocked out. Because I retired him.
"The financial side has been very important, so I could look after my family, which I always wanted to do, and fulfilment - I'm doing something, still, that I love to do and I'm getting paid for it."
(News, Source;SanjaM/EIN)

Merry
12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks honey.

Tom Jones is coming to Australia next February - I'm thinking of finding out about it and going :hmm::D

epmoodyblue
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/th_reading.gif...thanx for the read franny(y)...tom jones is one of my fav(y)..seen him just once and it was super(y)http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif

Tommy
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Thank you very much Franny. (y)

franny
12-02-2009, 07:05 PM
You're welcome, friends'. :notworthy

Kimmi, I hope you get the chance to see him. :)
I always liked him!

franny

mistymorning
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Thank you dear Franny ! It was interesting to read ! :notworthy

Merry
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
You're welcome, friends'. :notworthy

Kimmi, I hope you get the chance to see him. :)
I always liked him!

franny

LOL, thank you, honey.

I laugh, cause I think of how Tom moves his hips, rofl :blush:

LOL. Tom is playing at a winery.

It's sold out! :supriced:

Donut
12-03-2009, 02:01 AM
LOL, thank you, honey.

I laugh, cause I think of how Tom moves his hips, rofl :blush:

I went to see him 2 years ago in Las Vegas and it was very funny :laughing: he lifted his shirt up growled and older women went crazy :lol:

celine
12-03-2009, 02:44 AM
I saw Tom Jones beginning of October when he gave a concert in Vienna. It was so great, I enjoyed it a lot. Glad I didn't miss it.

Merry
12-03-2009, 03:01 AM
I went to see him 2 years ago in Las Vegas and it was very funny :laughing: he lifted his shirt up growled and older women went crazy :lol:

OMGosh, well, Tom isn't sold out, I made a little error :blink: rofl, so I'll see if I can get some tickets.

We'll have to rate the older women's reactions, from 1 to 5!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I think that will be a show within itself, lol.

I'll be very disappointed if Tom doesn't growl - rofl! What a build up it will be:lmfao:

You have to bring your own low chair to the concert, the venue is licensed (of course, being at a winery) and you aren't allowed to bring your own drinkies.

Hmmmm I have AC/DC the night before! :lmfao::bangin:

Donut
12-03-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm sure you'll love it, Merry. He has more energy than many of the younger singers of today and a better voice too (y)

Merry
12-03-2009, 03:27 AM
I'm sure you'll love it, Merry. He has more energy than many of the younger singers of today and a better voice too (y)

Thanks honey. I'll be ready to buy.

This is where the gig is:

http://www.scprojects.com.au/images/projects/23/largewineryarial.jpg

I think Tom will be a dot on the stage :(

http://www.adayonthegreen.com.au/resize.php?image=uploads/venues/10/image.jpg

:D

Donut
12-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Well, that's the problem with concerts in large spaces but there usually are screens so you'll have a good view anyway (y)

Merry
12-03-2009, 03:48 AM
Yes, :(

Perhaps we'll be lucky and be able to get close.(y)(y) lol

KPM
12-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I recall hearing Bing Crosby on Johnny Carson in the late 60s or early 70s and he was asked about some of the newer singers he liked-he mentioned Tom Jones ......but also like Sinatra, Bing said Jones should not scream so much because he was taking years off his voice-I guess Sinatra and Crosby were both wrong since TJ sings as well as ever.

Elisabeth
12-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Thank you Franny, i like Tom Jones. :D:D:D

Albert
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM
great story :D

I've always found Tom Jones a great guy, but I never really liked his voice: too 'thick' and too loud. So this part makes me silently laugh:
"And I said, 'Well, OK, then.' And when I was talking to Frank Sinatra, he said, 'You could be a great jazz singer. You should do more big band stuff.'

Sonny
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I've seen him twice and loved both times! Very good concerts!!

gracelandgirl
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Pontypridd isn't too far away from where I live. When TJ was starting out he would get up onstage at the local working men's club every chance he got. A friend of mine would go to the club regularly with her family and she says most people would react by saying "Oh no, it's him again, he's up on the stage - Gerroff!":supriced::lol:

Tracy :D

LISY
12-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks honey.

Tom Jones is coming to Australia next February - I'm thinking of finding out about it and going :hmm::D

Hey Kimmi, Might see you there I was thinking of going too!!

Merry
12-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Hey Kimmi, Might see you there I was thinking of going too!!

We should meet up, Lisa, if we go. :D

I'm taking the rating cards for reactions from the older ladies to Tom, lol, you might like to help, lol :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

cre
12-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Thank you Franny dear.
That was a great read.
:hug::hug::hug:

LISY
12-04-2009, 02:04 AM
We should meet up, Lisa, if we go. :D

I'm taking the rating cards for reactions from the older ladies to Tom, lol, you might like to help, lol :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Love to help honey, as we will both be laughing so much, we will probably need each other LOL...although I went to see Tex Perkins in The Man in Black last night and I was one of those not quite older ladies, he was pretty cute I must say:P

Merry
12-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Love to help honey, as we will both be laughing so much, we will probably need each other LOL...although I went to see Tex Perkins in The Man in Black last night and I was one of those not quite older ladies, he was pretty cute I must say:P

I think that we can help each other, lol, in laughter :D :lmfao::lmfao:

A friend of mine went to see "The Man in Black" and loved it, too. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it :D

Donut
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
The older ladies comment wasn't meant to be offensive. You know that, right? http://smiley.net.ru/emocnf035.gif

GIORGIA
12-04-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files/tom_jones_elvis_presley2.jpeg
Beautiful picture!
Elvis have a gorgeous legs:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:!

LISY
12-05-2009, 03:39 AM
The older ladies comment wasn't meant to be offensive. You know that, right? http://smiley.net.ru/emocnf035.gif

I didn't think it was offensive, I'm 44 and my kids have given me a thick skin about that already :D No I think we are more laughing at Tom lifting his shirt and growling...oh my:lmfao:

Merry
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I didn't think it was offensive, I'm 44 and my kids have given me a thick skin about that already :D No I think we are more laughing at Tom lifting his shirt and growling...oh my:lmfao:

Lisa, my love, I'm going to see if I can buy some tickets :D

You in? lol :D :D :D

ROFL! We have some certain expectations from this gig! rofl :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: :D

I'll still be getting over banging my head from the night before, lol :D
http://www.rockbackingtracks.co.uk/images/acdc2.jpg

LISY
12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Lisa, my love, I'm going to see if I can buy some tickets :D

You in? lol :D :D :D

ROFL! We have some certain expectations from this gig! rofl :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: :D

I'll still be getting over banging my head from the night before, lol :D
http://www.rockbackingtracks.co.uk/images/acdc2.jpg

...Can't do anything till next week , hopefully there will still be tickets then, It's at the Sirromet Winery I see, nice as long as the storms stay away!!LOL..yes we do have some certain expectations, do you think we should twitter Tom and let him know what they are?:P:lmfao::lmfao:

Tom better put on a good visual performance, because you'll still be deaf from Acca Dacca I'm thinking:lmfao:

Merry
12-06-2009, 04:20 AM
...Can't do anything till next week , hopefully there will still be tickets then, It's at the Sirromet Winery I see, nice as long as the storms stay away!!LOL..yes we do have some certain expectations, do you think we should twitter Tom and let him know what they are?:P:lmfao::lmfao:

Tom better put on a good visual performance, because you'll still be deaf from Acca Dacca I'm thinking:lmfao:

Yes - you are right about the storms! lol....maybe I'm burning the candle at both ends, too :( lol :lmfao:

I do think we should twitter Tom, giving him a list of our expectations! lol

LOL, I think I'll be covering my eyes while laughing my head off, lol :blush::D:lmfao:

Tigerman1975
12-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Toms definetely a pimp and can still pull them in live.

janice mcclelland
12-30-2010, 08:31 AM
:hmm: I've have found that every time Tom Jones gives an interview on T.V/ radio or press, he makes out that his "friendship" with Elvis was so much more than {those in the know} say it was! He also has a habit when telling a particular story, to embellish upon it! I've also heard him put down certain people in the entertainment field, without a second thought,unlike Elvis, who is on record as saying, "There's room for everyone!" :peace:;)