PDA

View Full Version : George Klein vs. Dr. Nick - Which book(s) will you buy?

Jungleroom76
12-02-2009, 12:14 PM
With both George Klein and Dr. Nick's books coming out around the same time at the beginning of January, I thought I would put up a poll to see which books, if any, our members would be purchasing for their collections. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Donut
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM
If I have to choose, Dr Nick's one.

You forgot about Alanna Nash book :wub:

Jungleroom76
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
You forgot about Alanna Nash book :wub:

No I didn't, but I was just checking to see between the guys that worked with Elvis which book more fans would be interested in reading. (y)

TCB!
Mike

Donut
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
No I didn't, but I was just checking to see between the guys that worked with Elvis which book more fans would be interested in reading. (y)

TCB!
Mike

Oh, OK. I forgive you then :closedeye

:lol:

Miss Clawdy
12-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I ordered Dr. Nick's book. :D

Tommy
12-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I dont' want neither one.

epmoodyblue
12-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I ordered Dr. Nick's book. :Dthats ex-doctor...he lost the honor of being called drhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_doctor-118.gif.. a long time ago..just call him mr nick(y)just say you ordered mr nicks bookie(y)http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif

Jungleroom76
12-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh, OK. I forgive you then :closedeye

:lol:

Many thanks for your forgiveness Donut!!! :notworthy ;)

TCB!
Mike

GIORGIA
12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
But of course George Klein!
All My Life!

GIORGIA
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Can I ask you somenthing?
Why Dott.Nick?
I mean of that I read it's not credible at all!

john carpenter
12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Of course George Klein's book(y)

epmoodyblue
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Can I ask you somenthing?
Why Dott.Nick?
I mean of that I read it's not credible at all!and also cara giorgia why did he wait 32 years to write this bookie..that will indeed have some fantasy comments in it..has to or it wont sell..i could understand 5 to 7 years lets say after elvis passed away..but the ex doc waited 32 years:doh:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_ciao-1.gifnon comprare questo scifo libro...perche questo dottore fa scifo vergogna..e una vergogna.. e un grande imbecile:lol:http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif buona giornata :notworthy

kathy parkinson
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont' want neither one. Me neither Tommy.

Tommy
12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Me neither Tommy.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

epmoodyblue
12-02-2009, 02:28 PM
i wont be buying those 2 bookies(n)....its time to let elvis rest in peacehttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif

Miss Clawdy
12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
thats ex-doctor...he lost the honor of being called drhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_doctor-118.gif.. a long time ago..just call him mr nick(y)just say you ordered mr nicks bookie(y)http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif

Dr. is just a simple title, he got it because he wrote a dissertation on a medical issue....maybe drugs? ;) I have no problem to call him Dr. Nick :D

J.P
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM

the same here (y)(y)(y)

GIORGIA
12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
and also cara giorgia why did he wait 32 years to write this bookie..that will indeed have some fantasy comments in it..has to or it wont sell..i could understand 5 to 7 years lets say after elvis passed away..but the ex doc waited 32 years:doh:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_ciao-1.gifnon comprare questo scifo libro...perche questo dottore fa scifo vergogna..e una vergogna.. e un grande imbecile:lol:http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif buona giornata :notworthy
I agree!
Buona Giornata too!
And Ciao too!

rickb
12-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Nothing against George but we've had a lot of `Mafia' books whereas Dr Nick's perspective is somewhat different

debtdbruno
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm getting both.........and Alana's book too

franny
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Mike, I don't know if I will be getting either book, yet. :hmm:
Maybe, I will wait til I hear how others' like it.

franny

epmoodyblue
12-02-2009, 06:55 PM

frannygood descision great friend franny(y)..:hmm:im more into photo elvis books.(y)http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif

franny
12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
good descision great friend franny(y)..:hmm:im more into photo elvis books.(y)http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gifhttp://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/bellaselena/th_elvis-071.gif

Thanks, I also really like photo elvis books, joe. (y) :)

I would have to say, from the two I would be more interested in George Kleins' book...

franny

Lisarose
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
since I can get them a fairly good prices, I'm going to go ahead and get them both - I've let people know I want them, so I'm pretty sure, I'll get Gift Cards to buy them.
George Klein - he should have some pretty good stories totell, he's actually know Elvis the longest - before he was ELVIS.
Dr. Nick - I'm just curious, that's all I can say about that. It may end up in the burn pile or on eBay, but I'm curious.

And definitely Alanna Nash's !

Donut
12-03-2009, 04:02 AM
since I can get them a fairly good prices, I'm going to go ahead and get them both - I've let people know I want them, so I'm pretty sure, I'll get Gift Cards to buy them.
George Klein - he should have some pretty good stories totell, he's actually know Elvis the longest - before he was ELVIS.
Dr. Nick - I'm just curious, that's all I can say about that. It may end up in the burn pile or on eBay, but I'm curious.

And definitely Alanna Nash's !

I plan to lock myself in my bedroom with this book and enough food and water to keep me alive untill I finish reading it http://smiley.net.ru/emooth183.gif

TotallyInsane
12-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Are ya'll gonna buy my book too? It's gonna be called "Two Girls and Elvis".....whatcha think?

el gerry
12-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Ive no wish to read Dr Nic ( and i use the term doctor very loosely ) justifying himself wish you can bet your bottom dollar he will .

Teddy
12-03-2009, 06:01 AM
With a suggestive title like that, the copies should be selling faster than you can print 'em! (y)

kathy parkinson
12-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Are ya'll gonna buy my book too? It's gonna be called "Two Girls and Elvis".....whatcha think? Gail, put me down for a copy, at least we'll get the truth from you.:D:D:D:D:D

debtdbruno
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I plan to lock myself in my bedroom with this book and enough food and water to keep me alive untill I finish reading it http://smiley.net.ru/emooth183.gif

now that sounds like a cracking idea Donut.........:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

J.P
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Are ya'll gonna buy my book too? It's gonna be called "Two Girls and Elvis".....whatcha think?

Gail honey lol you know i'll buy all the copies :lol: when ya'r getting to work on it?? rofl let me be the first to know (y)

Donut
12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
now that sounds like a cracking idea Donut.........:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I know you'll do the same, you don't fool me :lol:

presley31
12-03-2009, 12:59 PM

franny

I think l will skip both books. Always the same in every book in my opinion.

debtdbruno
12-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I know you'll do the same, you don't fool me :lol:

given the opportunity...............you bet-ya!!!!!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I'm hoping to get my signed copy in Memphis in Jan, she's going to be there I think

Donut
12-03-2009, 01:08 PM
given the opportunity...............you bet-ya!!!!!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I'm hoping to get my signed copy in Memphis in Jan, she's going to be there I think

That's great (y) Take a lot of pictures!

debtdbruno
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
lots and lots............click, click!!!

Lisarose
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM

:doh: Put me down for a copy, too! And don't forget to autograph it! :lmfao:

TotallyInsane
12-03-2009, 05:19 PM
With a suggestive title like that, the copies should be selling faster than you can print 'em! (y)

Yeah, I thought a catchy title might make it too tempting not to buy it!! (y)

Jungleroom76
12-03-2009, 05:31 PM

Mark me down for a copy Gail!!! (y) ;)

TCB!
Mike

monk37
12-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not inclined to put a penny in Nick's pocket

so, between the two, it's Klien's book - even though I passed on the photo album book he put out - because it was mostly previously published images - and largely publicity photos with no personal candid images at all

I am surprised that Klien's held back not writing a book like all the other MM guys

Dany
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I voted Neither

Brian
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm not inclined to put a penny in Nick's pocket

so, between the two, it's Klien's book - even though I passed on the photo album book he put out - because it was mostly previously published images - and largely publicity photos with no personal candid images at all

I am surprised that Klien's held back not writing a book like all the other MM guys

Rumor has it George Klein had been trying to get a book deal for 20 years but no one was in interested partially because he was asking for a 1 million dollar advance.

So it wasn't for a lack of trying.

JDD
12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I want both, I'll buy both. I'll buy "Dr.Nicks" book for different reasons then
I'll get GK's . I don't care if they make money off the book either, they have a story, I want to hear it and if that costs me the price of a book I can take home and put on the bookshelf, so be it. If I hate it I'll drop it in a shredder afterwards but I generally find something of use to me in all of them.

Unchained Melody
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Its good to read books such as these to get a better view of the whole Elvis Presley story imo. And after you do that you make your mind up for yourself how it all went down.

debtdbruno
12-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I want both, I'll buy both. I'll buy "Dr.Nicks" book for different reasons then
I'll get GK's . I don't care if they make money off the book either, they have a story, I want to hear it and if that costs me the price of a book I can take home and put on the bookshelf, so be it. If I hate it I'll drop it in a shredder afterwards but I generally find something of use to me in all of them.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Rumor has it George Klein had been trying to get a book deal for 20 years but no one was in interested partially because he was asking for a 1 million dollar advance.

So it wasn't for a lack of trying.

Hmmm....I'm not so sure I buy that story Brian only because if that was the case, then why did Random House (Crown Publishing) all of a sudden decide to pay George the 1 million dollars now after years of him trying to get a book deal?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

franny
12-08-2009, 07:51 PM
I ordered both of them plus Alanna Nash's book Baby Let's Play House..:P
I wasn't planning on it, but went on amazon and that was that! :lol:

franny

Brian
12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Hmmm....I'm not so sure I buy that story Brian only because if that was the case, then why did Random House (Crown Publishing) all of a sudden decide to pay George the 1 million dollars now after years of him trying to get a book deal?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Well, the story was reported by Bill Burk he said that George Klein had been asking for that 1 million price for like 20 years but Priscilla Presley only got $750,000.00 for her book back in 1985.

If you figure in inflation 1 million dollars was more money back 20-25 years ago than it is now.

monk37
12-08-2009, 11:02 PM
....1 million dollar advance......

Ah. that makes sense why he's last to publish.

Isn't he claiming to have some unreleased songs too?

Brian
12-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Ah. that makes sense why he's last to publish.

Isn't he claiming to have some unreleased songs too?

Yeah, he claims he has several songs from the Guitar man 1980 project and some unsweetend songs from the 69 Memphis sessions.

Jumpsuit Junkie
12-09-2009, 03:29 AM
I'm not buying either of these books for the following reasons:-

Dr. Nick (as was) - Basically this guy took part in the slow murder of Elvis by prescribing drugs that weren't required. His book will just try to justify his position and that he was Elvis' best friend.

George Klein - Nice guy but has verbal diarrhoea of the mouth. There will be nothing in this book that hasn't already been captured in the numerous interviews he has given over the years. Klein can justify his position as a good friend of Elvis because he supported himself by working, however I'm not sure even he could claim to have been Elvis best friend although I'm sure he will try!

As a side note it never ceases to amaze me how all of Elvis' supposed best friends couldn't help him when he needed their support!!

rogerM
12-09-2009, 04:10 AM
I will buy both of them, but I don`t have any high hopes of discovering something new..
George is one of the "good" guys so I think maybe it will be a boring book. I`ll have to wait and see, maybe I`m wrong...

debtdbruno
12-09-2009, 01:38 PM

franny

Join the club Girl..........:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

KPM
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm not buying either of these books for the following reasons:-

Dr. Nick (as was) - Basically this guy took part in the slow murder of Elvis by prescribing drugs that weren't required. His book will just try to justify his position and that he was Elvis' best friend.

George Klein - Nice guy but has verbal diarrhoea of the mouth. There will be nothing in this book that hasn't already been captured in the numerous interviews he has given over the years. Klein can justify his position as a good friend of Elvis because he supported himself by working, however I'm not sure even he could claim to have been Elvis best friend although I'm sure he will try!As a side note it never ceases to amaze me how all of Elvis' supposed best friends couldn't help him when he needed their support!!
Elvis was lucky to have so many "best friends" most of us just have one or two:;):D

Jungleroom76
12-09-2009, 05:40 PM

franny

THAT'S IT FRANNY!!! We're revoking your Amazon.com privileges!!! :nono: :P

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, the story was reported by Bill Burk he said that George Klein had been asking for that 1 million price for like 20 years but Priscilla Presley only got $750,000.00 for her book back in 1985.

Well, Bill was known for accurate reporting so if he claims that was the case, I'm more inclined to believe the story... :hmm:

If you figure in inflation 1 million dollars was more money back 20-25 years ago than it is now.

Very good point!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

franny
12-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Join the club Girl..........:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

THAT'S IT FRANNY!!! We're revoking your Amazon.com privileges!!! :nono: :P

TCB!
Mike

That's fine with me, Mike. (y) I will just go on amazon.ca :lol:

franny

Jungleroom76
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
That's fine with me, Mike. (y) I will just go on amazon.ca :lol:

franny

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

JDD
12-18-2009, 03:23 PM
The few of you that did pre order those books may get them sooner then you think. I pre ordered the same time Franny did, was told they wouldn't be here until after the first of the year, but "Dr. Nicks" book arrived in the mail today .

JD

RS277
12-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I'd buy both. Like to see what Dr. Nick has to say and why. George has told it all before in some fashion. Depends on the price I guess.

monk37
12-19-2009, 07:48 AM
.Klein can justify his position as a good friend of Elvis because he supported himself by working, ...!

which makes him unique in the MM crowd, that not being $ dependent on Elvis, plus, knowing him before he was famous.

JDD
12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
which makes him unique in the MM crowd, that not being $ dependent on Elvis, plus, knowing him before he was famous.

Not only knowing him before he was famous, but actually treating him decent before he was famous. Elvis himself had acknowledged he wasn't exactly popular in School.

Lisarose
12-20-2009, 07:13 AM
The few of you that did pre order those books may get them sooner then you think. I pre ordered the same time Franny did, was told they wouldn't be here until after the first of the year, but "Dr. Nicks" book arrived in the mail today .

JD

Really? I'll have to go online and track my orders!

And Franny? Amazon.com is my best friend, too! :blush:

Polk-Salad-Annie
12-21-2009, 12:25 AM

Same goes for me.

franny
12-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Really? I'll have to go online and track my orders!

And Franny? Amazon.com is my best friend, too! :blush:

:lol: Yes, Amazon is something, isn't it Lisa?

I don't think I will be getting mine earlier, since I ordered from Amazon.ca...and they haven't emailed me to let me know...

franny

Nigel_EIN
12-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Personally, I am opting for the Alanna Nash and Dr. Nick books over George's memoir. By all accounts it appears that George has given in to the tabloid type $$$. While Ms Nash has 4 or 5 pages of controversial (very controversial!!) material 99% of her book provides much needed insight to what Elvis was really thinking throughout his life! Elvis was human, with strengths and weaknesses, and Baby, Let's Play House addresses this with balanced justice!

debtdbruno
12-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Great interview you have on EIN with Alana, Nigel

Deb

sasha
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Probably best read them before giving my opinions.
From what I saw of Kleins, think I'd rather read Dr Nicks & Alanna's.

Donut
12-22-2009, 07:07 AM
By all accounts it appears that George has given in to the tabloid type $$$.

I wouldn't have expected it from G.Klein. He actually always talks and talks but never tells anything interesting :hmm:

debtdbruno
12-22-2009, 10:01 AM
DRUGS, ORGIES, VIOLENCE.

All this and more is featured in the upcoming book 'Elvis: My Best Man' by George Klein.

The New York Times has printed excerpts from the book that is sure to cause controversy & divide amongst the Elvis World.

Klein has been one of the few insiders (of EPE) who said they would always keep any stories about Elvis positive seems to has given in to the lure of the tabloid trash & big bucks by writing tales of BOOZE, DRUGS, ORGIES, VIOLENCE and who knows what else?

"Inside peek at the King's wildest days - Best buddy dishes on Elvis' orgies, gun - By Susannah Cahalan

Elvis Presley wasn't always the King.

In fact, he was a total misfit who hadn't yet grown into his looks, wore strange, out-of-style clothes and was harassed by jocks in his Memphis high-school days, according to his oldest friend, George Klein, who co-wrote a new book "Elvis: My Best Man" (Crown) about their 30-year friendship.

Elvis and Klein met when they were in the eighth grade and stayed friends until the day Elvis died. Elvis was Klein's best man at his wedding -- and Klein was at the King's side when he wed the love of his life, Priscilla. Klein worked as Elvis' "travel companion," arranging trysts for him on the road, and he also witnessed the spiral of booze, pills and overeating that eventually killed his friend in 1977.

The Post exclusively reveals some of Klein's best memories from the book, out Jan. 5 . . .

Friends From the Start

Klein, who attended North Memphis Humes HS with Elvis, met him in an eighth-grade music-appreciation class (which Elvis had to take because he was rejected from the marching band), where he would often bring his guitar in and sing songs to schoolmates.

"Do you mind if I bring my guitar to class and sing?" he asked the teacher.

"There were a few snickers and laughs," Klein recalls. "Back in 1948, there wasn't anything cool about a 13-year-old kid playing a 'country' instrument like a guitar."

After he sang his songs, there was a "moment of shocked silence and then just a smattering of applause," Klein writes.

Elvis was far from the swaggering star the world would embrace. "Elvis wasn't quite as handsome in those years. He hadn't quite grown into his looks yet," Klein recalls. "So most Humes girls weren't sure what to make of this very different classmate."

While everyone else was wearing jeans and button-downs, Elvis would wear "black slacks with a pink stripe down the side and a black sport coat with the collar turned up. He'd let his hair grow out and had it combed back high. He had those sideburns."

The jocks didn't take to the quiet singer.

"One day he was cornered in a Humes bathroom by a tough group who brandished a pair of scissors and said they were going to cut off his hair.

"He tried to fight them off, but his pompadour was only saved when one of the strongest, most fearless guys at Humes, Red West, happened to walk into the bathroom and saw what was going on. Red told the would-be barbers that if they wanted to cut Elvis' hair they'd have to cut his first, and that was the end of that," writes Klein. (West later became a bodyguard and co-songwriter for Elvis, as well as an actor, appearing in many of Elvis' movies and later "Road House" with Patrick Swayze.)

Don't Be Cruel

Although Elvis could be incredibly kind -- he gave Klein an expensive ring, a Corvette and paid for his wedding -- he could also be irrationally mean.

Elvis had a "sharp temper lurking under the surface," writes Klein.

While recording the soundtrack to the movie "Jailhouse Rock" in 1957, Elvis had a particularly bad day and took it out on his suite at the luxurious Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

He played pool in the room, aiming the balls at furniture, breaking mirrors and tables in the process.

"He just moved around the table fir ing off shots and shattering just about everything in the room that was breakable, including a wall-sized mir ror," Klein writes. "When he ran out of balls to shoot, he turned the pool cue around in his hands and began to swing it like a golf club at the bumpers on the pool table."

When Elvis and his entourage returned to Memphis, his paramour at the time -- screen starlet Yvonne Lime -- visited him.

To introduce her to the Memphis lifestyle, he took her snake hunting with his closest friends, including Klein.

Arthur Hooton, part of Elvis' crew, came up behind Lime and hugged her. She shrieked in surprise and then laughed.

Elvis didn't find it funny.

"All of a sudden, Elvis had his gun to Arthur's head, and he said, 'You do that again and I'll blow your f- - -ing head off,' " Klein recalls. That was the "first time I saw how dark Elvis' moods could become."

A similar situation happened years later, when Elvis was dating a woman while married to Priscilla.

Singer Jimmy Dean was "doing some pretty obvious flirting with Elvis' date," writes Klein. "Elvis walked over and put a small handgun to the side of Jimmy's head and said, 'Leave her alone.' I suppose Elvis was being half-playful -- but only half. Everybody tried to laugh it off, especially Jimmy, but the message was clear: You just didn't mess with Elvis' woman."

Pistol-Packing Papa

Elvis, who famously gave President Richard Nixon a gun, had an obsession with firearms and a paranoid temperament, Klein reveals.

The singer's love of weaponry started in 1957. A carload of teens passed by his parents' Memphis home and yelled obscenities at his mother to harass the budding star.

"[Elvis] darted back into the house and quickly returned with a rifle in his hands. He sat down, laid the rifle across his lap and sat there with a cold, steely expression on his face," writes Klein.

Later that year, Elvis found himself surrounded on a Memphis street by a group of five or six angry Marines.

"I'm going to see how tough this movie star is. He's been messing with my wife, and I'm going to whup his ***," one of the Marines threatened.

But Elvis didn't take it lying down. "He reached into his sports jacket's inside pocket and calmly, smoothly, pulled out a gun, then quickly extended his arm so that the barrel was just an inch away from a spot right between the big guy's eyes," Klein writes.

" 'OK, you bad-*** son of a *****,' he growled. 'Let's see what you can do now.' "

Although Elvis later revealed that the gun was just a prop from Paramount Studios, Klein was shaken by the experience.

The Hound Dog

Klein, nicknamed "GK" by Elvis, had a pressing responsibility when on the road with the King: Find beautiful girls to take back to his hotel room.

"I'd take them up to Elvis' room for a party -- the kind of party that quite often did get a little wild," Klein writes.

One such party occurred in 1970, while Elvis was married and his daughter, Lisa Marie, was 2.

His father, Vernon Presley, was with Klein in Tampa on a worldwide tour with Elvis when things went a bit crazy backstage with a group of girls "falling somewhere between groupies and hookers."

Vernon wanted to know where his son was.

"Oh, they're all in a room down the hall, Mr. Presley. There's going to be a show down there," Klein replied.

But Klein mistakenly brought Vernon to the hotel suite where a girl-on-girl orgy was going on.

"I can't even describe the look Elvis shot at me when I walked into that room with his daddy," Klein writes. "But his anger at me didn't stop the scheduled entertainment. Vernon just found a place to stand with the rest of us and watched as Elvis began directing the girls like a certain kind of movie director: You touch her here; you kiss her there; hang on to that; hold still."

It was hardly the only time Elvis was unfaithful to his wife.

"Elvis considered himself capable of loving the woman he'd left at home while devoting himself fully to the woman he happened to be with elsewhere," says Klein.

At the same time, Elvis also was carrying on a serious relationship with actress and two-time Playboy centerfold Barbara Leigh, best known for her role in the 1972 film "Junior Bonner" with Steve McQueen.

Insecurities & Face-lifts

Even when the King became a musical sensation, his insecurities persisted. At the age of 40, Elvis asked Klein to join him in getting cosmetic surgery.

"GK, you and I are going to get face-lifts," Elvis said when he called Klein to Graceland in 1975.

"Elvis, you've still got the face of a Greek god," I said. "Why in the world would you have a face-lift?"

"If we just have a little bit done now, we don't have to have a lot of work done later," the King responded.

So Elvis and Klein got mini-face-lifts in Memphis. Elvis insisted on paying for both.

"I have to admit, Elvis was right," Klein writes. "The mini-face-lift slowed down the aging process."

Dark Depression

Elvis' deep-seated insecurities and self-destructive streak made for a moody and depressive star, writes Klein.

The King expressed disappointment in his film work.

"When I asked Elvis what one of his mid-'60s films was about, he said wearily, 'Same story, different location. I get the girl, I beat up a guy, I sing 12 songs,' " Klein writes.

By 1976, four years after his divorce from Priscilla, it was obvious Elvis was using too many prescription pills.

Klein, a popular disc jockey, was working on Aug. 16, 1977, when he got a call from a fellow DJ.

"I hate to make this call to you, GK," the DJ said, "but we just got a wire story that Elvis passed away."

Klein was a pallbearer at Elvis' funeral, and he was the last person to touch his casket.

"Elvis. The boy I'd met at Humes High. The kid who sung 'Old Shep' to our music class," Klein writes. "The guy who had me into his fantastic life. The person who had given me more than anyone I'd ever known. My best man. My best friend. He was gone."

2009/12/21 www.nypost.com - www.elvis-express.com / www.epgold.com

Unchained Melody
12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
That was very interesting read.

glad to see he wasn't scared to talk about the not so great things that happened in elvis' life.

I think this will be worth reading.

Jungleroom76
12-22-2009, 02:03 PM
WOW!!! :jawdrop:

Guess I wasn't expecting THOSE kind of stories from GK... :hmm:

Thanks so much for posting that Deb. (y)

TCB!
Mike

Donut
12-22-2009, 02:56 PM
His father, Vernon Presley, was with Klein in Tampa on a worldwide tour with Elvis when things went a bit crazy backstage with a group of girls "falling somewhere between groupies and hookers."

Vernon wanted to know where his son was.

"Oh, they're all in a room down the hall, Mr. Presley. There's going to be a show down there," Klein replied.

But Klein mistakenly brought Vernon to the hotel suite where a girl-on-girl orgy was going on.

"I can't even describe the look Elvis shot at me when I walked into that room with his daddy," Klein writes. "But his anger at me didn't stop the scheduled entertainment. Vernon just found a place to stand with the rest of us and watched as Elvis began directing the girls like a certain kind of movie director: You touch her here; you kiss her there; hang on to that; hold still."

:laughing: He probably fought for the best seat.

debtdbruno
12-23-2009, 11:12 AM
too true Donut............I bet

sasha
12-23-2009, 06:11 PM
YouTube- KQK Better Be There Birthday Bash - George Klein talks about the upstairs of Elvis' Mansion (part 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-spfnqosk)

George Klein tells a different story.

Jungleroom76
12-24-2009, 12:27 PM
George Klein tells a different story.

Thanks for the video sasha! (y)

TCB!
Mike

sasha
12-24-2009, 12:34 PM
You bet, Mike. He's changed the Elvis story too.Life & death!
Think it's time I stopped buying any Elvis books & just stick to what I know for sure. Limited, but real. :)

Jungleroom76
12-24-2009, 01:05 PM
You bet, Mike. He's changed the Elvis story too.Life & death!
Think it's time I stopped buying any Elvis books & just stick to what I know for sure. Limited, but real. :)

While I agree that most of Elvis' entourage and friends have changed their stories over the years, it has been 32 years since Elvis passed away and time does have a way of distorting memories...is that the answer or did GK (and just about everyone else who has ever told an Elvis story) change the details? We'll probably never know... :'(

But as I said before, it certainly is interesting to read the books to get the different perspectives on Elvis' life and career. While we may learn nothing new, we'll at least get the Elvis Presley story from a new perspective. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

JDD
12-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I just finished "Dr Nicks" book. I found it interesting and others will disagree but I found most, of his comments credible and in keeping with the other accepted Elvis books . Then again I'm not one of the ones that think he Killed Elvis or any other stuff. If he's being honest , he like others tried to help him.
Some won't agree, opinions will vary as always but thats my take.

Reading it I'm again amazed with some of the stuff Elvis was able to get people to do and how anybody around Elvis retained any personal relationships at all. He must have been some force of nature.

JD

Jungleroom76
12-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I just finished "Dr Nicks" book. I found it interesting and others will disagree but I found most, of his comments credible and in keeping with the other accepted Elvis books . Then again I'm not one of the ones that think he Killed Elvis or any other stuff. If he's being honest , he like others tried to help him.
Some won't agree, opinions will vary as always but thats my take.

Reading it I'm again amazed with some of the stuff Elvis was able to get people to do and how anybody around Elvis retained any personal relationships at all. He must have been some force of nature.

JD

Thanks for the insight on the book JD. So would you consider Dr. Nick's book a "must read" for Elvis fans or a "casual read" for fans if they have time and find a copy of it? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

JDD
12-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the insight on the book JD. So would you consider Dr. Nick's book a "must read" for Elvis fans or a "casual read" for fans if they have time and find a copy of it? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

I would say if you've read most books out there and are looking for something you haven't heard that will blow your socks off , you won't get it from the book. I think it does do a decent job though of making you see that "Dr Nick" was a human, and not the Monster the media made him out to be. He really liked Elvis, and I do believe he tried to help him . I believe he swapped out Meds for fake pills when he could , but Elvis was dealing with many Doctors . If he wanted it he found it, nobody told him no and made him listen.

Most of the books lately add a new piece of the puzzle or two, but nothing big thats new. I enjoy them because its just fun to read how each of the Guys considered Elvis their best friend, how he would come into their lives and the next thing you know they were working for him, and ignoring their lives and wives leaving behind other jobs. I just like the different takes. I think almost all those guys wanted to help him but he just really knew how to work them to get them to keep assisting him in his bad habits.

Jungleroom76
12-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I would say if you've read most books out there and are looking for something you haven't heard that will blow your socks off , you won't get it from the book. I think it does do a decent job though of making you see that "Dr Nick" was a human, and not the Monster the media made him out to be. He really liked Elvis, and I do believe he tried to help him . I believe he swapped out Meds for fake pills when he could , but Elvis was dealing with many Doctors . If he wanted it he found it, nobody told him no and made him listen.

Most of the books lately add a new piece of the puzzle or two, but nothing big thats new. I enjoy them because its just fun to read how each of the Guys considered Elvis their best friend, how he would come into their lives and the next thing you know they were working for him, and ignoring their lives and wives leaving behind other jobs. I just like the different takes. I think almost all those guys wanted to help him but he just really knew how to work them to get them to keep assisting him in his bad habits.

Thanks for the review my friend!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

debtdbruno
12-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Didn't realise it was out yet?....................

JDD
12-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Didn't realise it was out yet?....................

I ordered mine from Amazon, I wasn't expecting it until after new years but
I got it a week ago yesterday . Sometimes you luck out with the pre orders.

debtdbruno
12-25-2009, 04:57 PM
I've had mine on pre-order from Amazon for weeks and weeks............not heard anything about it!!!!!!