PDA

View Full Version : Where were you?

EP4MEUK
11-21-2004, 04:01 AM
I have been asked this question many times before from other Elvis fans ....

Where were you when you heard the news of Elvis' passing? even non fans know where they were. So if anyone would like to share please do.

I was 10 yrs old and was in bed at home when my brother came in to tell me and I would not believe him, I had to find out when I got up in the morning to read the headlines on the front of my dads daily paper :'( my family were wonderful even my brothers were nice to me:blink: nobody could believe it :supriced:

One memory I do have is when Elvis passed away we got to see a lot of his movies here in the Uk on television but unfortuntley we did not have a vcr so I could not tape them:'(

love and peace,
Susan.

jbgude
11-21-2004, 04:29 AM
I was in a college -checking out the local fauna - when my friend to whom I had just lent my very precious "on stage" album rushed over to tell me.....and he was surprised that I was NOT surprised. I had recently heard from pen friend in the USA that E was looking really sick ....

jb

EP4MEUK
11-21-2004, 05:31 AM
My name is Susan and I live in UK I am 37 yrs old and have been an Elvis

fan since I was 8 yrs old.This was a time when everyone at my age was listening

to The Bay City Rollers and David Cassidy but not me.My earliest memoy was my

mum playing her favourite Elvis song "Don't Be Cruel" and just going crazy and
that was it I was hooked. At that time I did not even know what he looked like
but it was the voice that was something I was never to forget.

On the evening of August 15th although my memory is not precise I was sent to
bed about 9.30pm. I shared a room with my sister Lisa and we had bunk beds. I
slept on the bottom bunk with all my posters of Elvis covering the lower walls
and this huge poster that was a free offer with a local paper it literally was
ceiling to floor,and this was just at the end of my bed near the door.I used to

say goodnight to my one special pic of Elvis every night and float away into
sleep.But that evening was to be a night I would never forget for sure. I
remember the door opening and the light from the landing beaming in and there
stood my youngest brother David,he was 14 and I was 10.He asked "Susan are you
awake" and I replied "yes why" he then said the words that would make me cry and

still do even to this day. "Sorry sis but Elvis is Dead". At first I thought he

was joking since that was him and I told him to leave me alone it was not true.

He then went on to say "Ok ask mum she will tell you"

It was not until the following morning that I realised he was right,when I saw
the front page of my dads paper "ELVIS IS DEAD" No that can not be right I cried

and ran out to my mum in the garden.Mum was wonderful and gave me the comfort of

her arms and kiss to try and ease my pain,but nothing at that time was going to

console me. I felt I had lost someone so very close to me whom I knew very well

and loved so dearly.But I was right not that I knew it then but realise only now

in my adult years this man was part of my life the one that comforted me with
his voice and music when I felt sad or had been punished. I shared my deepest
secrets with him whilst lay in my bed at night. I had never missed a film when
it was shown on the television or a new release of one his singles,but now he
had gone.WHY?

I know that it is said that the good die young and even now some days I still
find it hard to understand but I do believe we are sent here on borrowed time to

do what we must and Elvis had done just that. He changed the way music was to be

listened to and seen, he paved the way for many great artists that would follow

him and that is something we must never forget.Even now sometimes I still find
it hard to think of that day, but Elvis left us with memories far greater than

that very sad day of August 16th 1977.

Cherokee
11-21-2004, 05:40 AM
Hi,

Indeed a topic that's been discussed before ;), like HERE (http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=1402&highlight=august+1977) but remains interesting no less. Here's my story, again :P

Good subject. :hmm: Mine is quite a long story, but I'll try to condense it a bit ;) I have a much (17 years) older half sister who'd drag my mom, her step-mom to be, to the theater each time a new Elvis movie was released. My mom is a classical music fan so she didn't think all that much of it, but didn't dislike it either. :) After my birth, my earliest Elvis memories were from the time I was a toddler and my big sis was playing Elvis records on her little plastic record player. :P
She married and moved, not too far, away, started her own family. I must've subconsciously picked up the Elvis bug because from a very early age on I could recognize Elvis songs on the radio or his pictures in magazines. I even knew the lyrics to his more popular songs! :lmfao:
The news of his death arrived on either the first or second day of the new schoolyear. I didn't catch everything the radio newscaster said, just that it was about Elvis and that he'd mentioned his age. I thought I had to remember to call my sis after school in case she'd missed it. Each day I'd bike to school with a girl whose mom was also an Elvis fan and I still remember that she greeted me with "Did you hear Elvis died?" instead of "Good morning!". At school EVERYBODY was talking about Elvis and slowly it dawned on me that Elvis apparently was more than just the favorite singer of my sis!
Much later in the eighties I had a VCR before my sis and she asked me to tape all the memorials for her. At first I was going to give her the tapes (after she'd bought a VCR) but I liked them so much, that I gave her copies! :P I'd already begun saving everything about Elvis from magazines etc. since about 1975.

So, I think you can say I was sort of "spoon fed" Elvis from the cradle on ;) :P

What he means to me is that he's made music to fit every mood. Somehow, and I think many of his fans have this, he radiates something that gives you the feeling you know him, understand him, at least up to some level. With all his trials and tribulations, his flaws and weaknesses, he became someone I/we can identify with, regardless of all the greatness he achieved that most of us will never achieve. He still feels like "one of us".

And on a related subject another thread (http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=1438&highlight=august+1977)

veronik
11-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I have been asked this question many times before from other Elvis fans ....

Where were you when you heard the news of Elvis' passing? even non fans know where they were. So if anyone would like to share please do.

I was 10 yrs old and was in bed at home when my brother came in to tell me and I would not believe him, I had to find out when I got up in the morning to read the headlines on the front of my dads daily paper :'( my family were wonderful even my brothers were nice to me:blink: nobody could believe it :supriced:

One memory I do have is when Elvis passed away we got to see a lot of his movies here in the Uk on television but unfortuntley we did not have a vcr so I could not tape them:'(

love and peace,
Susan.

Oh it was a sad day man.My two sisters and I were in our bedroom and earlier that day we had recived by mail an album(LP)that was selling thrugh Tv only.It had enclosed a book of photos of maybe 20 pics.They were beautiful and we were so happy.Back then it was har to find anything on Elvis
and we had visted early in the summer a fair in Alabama and I purchase there a life size poster with the aloha suit...so we girls were trill....so happy!We had been singing alone with Elvis.Mom came in and pretended she was doing something....we knew something was wrong.She looked up to Elvi's posters and told us"You girls better take those posters down"And we went like:"What??She looked at me and said:"Elvis is dead"We din't know what to say..it was like if we were hearing something that was untrue.I ran to my TV and there was a close up of the pictures taken during the press conference in NY and I just could not believe what I was seing!.:"Elvis Presley,better known as the king of Rock N Roll die today in Memphis,TN" We took it real hard.It was like a member of the family dying.I remember that Daddy took us to the park to see if we could put our minds on something else,but it was like the whole world stood still.Right there that very day death became something very real to us.I mean,I was 13 my sisters 10 and 12 and at that age kids don't think 'bout dying.Besides,someone so big,so beautiful as Elvis had died?Why?and even when we try not to cry it was dificult because that was what everyone was talking.The Tv,the radio,the neighbors,our flag...the american flag in our school and around the country was flying low..we had lost a heroe,an icon.Saying the name Elvis was like saying:Apple pie,hot dog,chevrolet...he was america!!!Come to think of, if you say the name:ELVIS everyone knows who you're talking about..is like saying JESUS.he was that big.He was that especial,so us girls thought that by dying ElvisDit it mean we had to stop listening to Elvis?Mom always said that when someone die you take down their photos because they no longer exist.And if you live them up they will not rest in peace.Guess what?for the first time we din't listen to Mom.The posters were up on our walls,we play his music over and over...we went to the stores and they had his lp's,calendars,dolls,t-shirts ....you name it.We were happy because we could get them but this things,saddly were not available until his death :angry: We missed him.We still do.We will miss him.One of my sisters can't see his videos because she gets very depressed....We love him!Before I log off from my pc at night I go to www.elvis.com to look at Graceland.It stands there lonely,but proud,because Elvis came home to stay.Time has stood still......we just don't let Elvis go.Physically he left us,but he is very much alive in our hearts.I live Elvis.I live sorrounded by his things...If I take them down he will die!.crazy,but that's what I think.For as long that there is and Elvis fan Elvis will go on.Maybe I am wrong...maybe we should let him go....Elvis is making more money dead than he ever did alive.Sometimes it makes me mad :angry: .Just to know that I have all of this things but he had to die so we can have them...I am getting emotional here.Loosing my trend of thought.....Anyways,we all recall that day....but Im glad that if he had to go he did it there in Graceland and not on the road or some cold hotel room.......he left in his beloved Graceland!...RIP Elvis.I will always love you..

TLC.

Veronik :sad: :'(